Occupy Cal protest sees large crowds, violence

A crowd of protesters fill Sproul Plaza at around 10:30 PM.
David Herschorn/Staff

In a day marked by large crowds and violence between protesters and police, UC Berkeley students and community members established an Occupy Cal encampment on Sproul Plaza, despite it going directly against campus policy.

The encampment, approved in a nearly unanimous general assembly vote by the protest’s participants, was formed to show solidarity with the national Occupy movement but focused on the increased privatization of the UC system, according to Amanda Armstrong, a UC Berkeley head steward for UAW Local 2865a union representing graduate student instructorsand organizer of the event.

“What we are doing is opposing that,” Armstrong said.

#occupycal: Read complete Daily Cal coverage

Many graduate students began the day of action by holding discussion sections on Upper Sproul Plaza to show support for maintaining the affordability of the UC system.

“I would have taught out in any class — I think fighting for public education is very important as our right,” said department of sociology graduate student instructor Sarah Anne Minkin. “It’s very important to be a part of this movement, for me, as a human being it’s also important and it’s also important as a teacher for the students to be a part of it as well.”

At the height of the day’s events over 1,000 people swarmed the plaza, bearing signs that read, among other things, “Education is a debt sentence,” and chanting “No cuts, no fees, education must be free.”

After marching to the local Bank of America branch on Telegraph Avenue — resulting in the branch shutting down for the day — protesters reconvened in a general assembly to establish the Occupy Cal encampment.

“We, the UC Berkeley general assembly, hereby establish an encampment on the UC Berkeley campus in order to … help the university become what it always should have been: open and free to all,” according to a proposal adopted by the protesters. “We disagree with the idea that this university and this land are the property of the UC Regents, the vast majority of whom hail from the 1 percent.”

UCPD responded to the general assembly’s decision to establish the encampment by confiscating tents and maintaining a barricade to prevent protesters from entering Sproul Hall.

After issuing a dispersal order around 3:30 p.m., police used batons against protesters who began moving into their barricade, resulting in seven arrests, as well as injuries to protesters’ arms, heads and stomachs. One protester was sent to the campus Tang Center.

Many protesters called the police’s violent tactics “excessive” and “unneccesarily forceful.”

“Any use of force against an encampment is illegitimate,” Armstrong said. “All the violence the police perpetrated is the responsibility of the administration.”

Harry Le Grande, campus vice chancellor for student affairs, said the police were acting to enforce the campus policy.

“I think we all know that they know that tents were not allowed,” said UCPD Police Chief Mitch Celaya. “The individuals on the front lines made a conscious decision to obstruct the officers from doing what they had to do.”

Le Grande presented the Occupy Cal movement with a proposal — later denied by a vote of the general assembly — that allowed protesters to stay on Upper Sproul Plaza 24/7 for a week but without sleeping bags or tents.

When protesters failed to remove the encampment, police raided the movement for a second time at about 9:30 p.m., violently clashing with protesters who formed a wall around the remaining tents. As of press time, the day’s events had resulted in 39 arrests. The police issued another dispersal order after the second clash.

Yet protesters said the event was largely successful in bringing awareness to the inherent inequalities in an increasingly privatized public education system.

“Because tuition is rising, education now belongs to the greedy,” said UC Berkeley senior Naomi Santacruz. “Inequality arises from people unable to get an education.”

Members of the movement plan to take their demands to the UC Board of Regents at its meeting next week.

• leigh

Wow. “Chicken Hammer, Live free or die” where exactly are your freedoms if you don’t fight for them when they are infringed upon? Based on your comments, you don’t care about the public or small businesses, you only care about your own selfish opinion, screw what anyone else has to say. The name calling, really? Who needs to grow up here? The only reason you continue to be apathetic and ignorant is because you aren’t feeling the severity of our country’s situation as much as others and feel you can ignore it because it isn’t (yet) having a severe impact on your life. Open your eyes and use the brain you came to Cal to develop.

• Guess

LMAO this guy is one of the organizers! yeah this movement is defiantly going to be successful! And people like him leaders! How did he even got into Berkeley?!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opDPY5DRWP8

• stephen weber

I created a short video showing the current events of Oakland and the Occupy Movement.

Why the Vendetta Mask?

check it out…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QipfpYL01YQ&feature=youtu.be

Stephen Weber

• Man of Conscience

There was no violence ‘between protestors and police.” The violence was entirely one sided. Please correct your story.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

There’s no connection between reality and the nonsense you spew. Please seek professional help…

• Morally Superior

Have another beer.

• Anonymouse

Go fuck yourself.

• Guess

I think that in this case UCDP did the right thing (or didn’t do enough) . If there is a policy that says not tents on campus, just because a portion (very small) of “student” vote that they want to have an encampment does not overturn the policy. Why don’t we just let the homeless in people park start living on campus? IF there is a policy you follow it because is there to protect the safety of others. After this I will not be studying at the library late for my safety since many dangerous people will be on campus. Yesterday they were smoking pot and I doubt that they don’t also have alcohol!!! Anybody that does not agree with them being on campus should email the chancellor asking them to remove them from campus. Why should they decide to take the campus, we are all pay to maintain the campus and now is going to become full of homeless people. 

• Man of Conscience

Attempted murder is NOT doing the right thing. It is doing the wrong thing. It is wrong to try to kill a student for erecting a tent. If you cannot understand that, then I fear for your children and other family members.

No one is trying to “kill” students for erecting their stupid illegal tents. Once again, lefties spout ridiculous hyperbole in lieu of rational discussion.

• Get Real

And “righties” never spout ridiculous hyperbole in lieu of rational discussion? Get real. 

I see you couldn’t refute my argument, which was that nobody was trying to kill protesters. But thanks for chiming in with your usual bile – not that we missed you…

• Common Sense

I didn’t try to refute your argument because clearly no one is trying to kill the students.  All I was stating is that both sides of politics spout ridiculous hyperbole; it is not limited to one side. 

[I didn't try to refute your argument because clearly no one is trying to kill the students. ]

That’s what I thought…

• Man of Conscience

Oh, so no one was repeatedly ramming someone’s abdomen with a baton while that someone was completely defenseless?

• Anonymouse

100% correct. Nobody was doing that.
            The protesters could have decided to stop blocking the cops from doing their job and left the scene at any moment.

• Thomas Kassebaum

How about the videos of a SWAT officer repeatedly jabbing a small Asian woman? You really think that is right, fair, or just? These Occupy people have no other way to get what they want to say out there.

When peaceful protests are made impossible, violent uprising becomes inevitable.

• Man of Conscience

Incorrect. When you ram a baton into someone’s abdomen repeatedly, you are attempting to kill that person. You know that.

• Guess

Murder?! First of all the students broke a policy which was clearly stated before and then try to stop the cops from doing their job, so if they got hit its their own fault! Second the cops where not trying to kill any one.

• Man of Conscience

When you repeatedly ram a baton into someone’s abdomen, yes, you are trying to kill that person.

• You Are An Idiot

If the cops were trying to kill someone, they’d use their guns.

• Guess

Please these kids just need another reason to smoke weed typical of Berkeley protester.
        Their commitment ends when they need to go party. Honesty some people
        need to really look at who those people protesting are. Hungry strike
        people from last semester (Spring 2011) left for a whole afternoon to go
        to a BANQUET!!! YES is true! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
        if you see this video the girl in the yellow sweater and the one in the
        black glasses where part of the hungry strike but during the same week
        they all left to a banquet hosted by Hermanos Unidos. http://i.imgur.com/T2vzk.jpg
        this a picture from the banquet. Yes this the level of commitment these
        people have!! Make your own judgement!! So pathetic these people just
        need another reason to smoke weed and say they defend our education!
        Please!

• Anonymous

All the kings horses and  all the kings men could not put Humpty Dumpty back together again!  http://lyneussfields.blogspot.com/2011/09/collective-organizations-in-cooperative.html

• Abc

GSIs have a union?  Ridiculous.   I’m all for keeping private money out of politics, but these ancillary people tagging along with other issues are pretty pathetic.

• pedro

You do realize that GSI’s don’t make much at all? The point is that all the cuts to education which are unjust are affecting people like the GSI’s who are directly hurt by those cuts

The GSI’s can always quit grad school and join the > 10% of adults who are unemployed in this state if they think they are getting a raw deal…

• Guest

Seriously, just go away. You have nothing to offer here.

• Anonymouse

• http://www.chickenhammer.com/ Chicken Hammer

This occupy stupidity has got to go.  You have made your point now move on.  You have become a public nuisance and a drain on the economy.  Grow up!

• pedro

I am sorry, I didn’t realize that a protest could cause a significant drain on the economy. I had thought that the monopoly of large corporations over our lives had already done that. So sorry

• No

Take a  look at what Occupy Oakland is doing to small businesses in the downtown area, jackass.

• yes

look at what banks and corporations have done to the global economy dumbass

Yep, they have provided jobs and a means of support for hundreds of millions of people in this country. Before you call others “dumbasses”, why don’t you tell us how many people YOU have ever employed?

• Common Sense

Yet these same corporations/banks have also shifted jobs overseas, created the current economic situation through greed and falsification, and have expected taxpayer dollars to bail them out.  It is unfortunate that the occupy movement has taken the turn it has; the focus really should be on a fair tax system that equalizes the burden amongst classes.  Frankly, the lowered cap gain tax needs to be  raised back to 20-25%, thus evening out the 1%’s effective tax rate.

The top 5% of income earners in this country already pay 50% of all individual income taxes. Why should they pay any more than they already do, merely because politicans are fiscally irresponsible and can’t balance their own budgets?

• Guest

And yet the top 5% owns MORE than 50% of US wealth. Seems like they are getting a pretty good deal, huh?

http://www.epi.org/publication/top_5_holds_more_than_half_of_the_countrys_wealth/

• Madehero2000

There is a difference between owning wealth and an annual income. The top 1% earns approximately 20% of the annual income, yet they pay more than 40% of all income taxes collected. This means that the top 1% pays a significantly higher rate than the bottom 99%.

To simplify this further, I will ask you a simple question. Do you believe that people should have to pay taxes on all of their assets each year? If I were to earn $100 and the government took out $50 for taxes, should they then be allowed to tax the remaining $50 the following year if I were to set it in a bank account?

• Anonymouse

Get out of here with those facts and figures! You’ll just confuse these idealistic teenage idiots who are haven’t had real jobs yet or had to pay their own way in the world.

• Mlubin45

when your salary is a thousand times that what an average worker makes, then hell yeah! The real numbers behind your stats, the billionaire jeseetters who pull your strings, speak for themselves in their need for more taxation.

Maybe because unlike you, they are smart enough to grasp basic economics…

• yes

tony.. do you know how many people lost their homes, jobs, pensions from the 2008 meltdown? tell me, was that due to the failure of the banks or peaceful protests? Go get educated before you talk. Go to school. Oh wait, you probably won’t be able to afford it now.

• You Are An Idiot

Fighting with the cops and setting up illegal encampments aren’t part of a peaceful protest.

• yes

Fighting with cops? Who was fighting. Seems like you’re the idiot.

• Anonymouse

Preventing the cops from removing an illegal encampment = fighting.

Sorry dumbass.

• Mlubin45

Illegal because of the vested interests of the authorities and the establishment, you idiot!

[do you know how many people lost their homes, jobs, pensions from the 2008 meltdown?]

And how many more have lost their jobs since January 2009 when Obama was sworn in office – yet according to one poll, 48% of the OWS supporters support the re-election of Obama in 2012. Talk about cognitive dissonance…

• Guest

I worry about the sad people like you who hang out to make right-wing comments on the student paper at Cal. You’re reinforcing stereotypes of ignorant right-wingers and not convincing anybody.

• Madehero2000

You should attempt to educate yourself because you provide no correct answer. The “meltdown” was not caused by the banks or protesters. It was caused by the federal government; yet, the solution from people like you is to expand the federal government and give them more authority. 

• Thomas Kassebaum

The meltdown was definitely caused by the banks and corporations. Rating agencies lied. Iceland had AAA rating just days before the collapse, and we saw how that went. Watch two documentaries, “Inside Job”, and “The Corporation”, and then eat your own words. Deregulation is harmful to people. We need more regulation, and strong government with the peoples voices guiding it. And when I say people, I mean flesh and blood people, not corporations.

• You Are An Idiot

Two wrongs don’t make a right, shithead.

Just because some banks & major corporations have fucked over the little guy doesn’t make it OK for Occupy Oakland to do the same thing.

• Mlubin45

I think you are the idiot. This is what strikes look like. This is what political action looks like. You think the civil rights movement was pretty? You think it was all “I have a dream” and we all go home? Did your ignorant ass ever realize that King was organizing increasingly radical actions up to his death, not going to some teabagger one time protest and patting your piece of shit self on the back.  This is a struggle against the super rich who have taken over the world. But your ignorant ass just wants to keep up with the Kardashians.

[I think you are the idiot. This is what strikes look like. This is what
            political action looks like. You think the civil rights movement was
            pretty?]

I have relatives who were genuine Freedom Riders from the 1960s’ and suffered from REAL police brutality down south, not the play acting you crybabies imagine to be authoritarian repression. Even so, they never rioted, started fires, shat on police cars, or fought with the police. There’ s a difference between people with real principles exercising their right to free speech and peaceful assembly, and a bunch of violence-prone cretins looking for excuses to break shit. They were the former, you are the latter.

• Madehero2000

What about what the federal government has done to the economy? It is easy to blame the banks; however, why is none of the blame directed toward the entity that forced bad loans? If this does not make sense to you, then I suggest that you research legislation passed by Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Both forced loan agglomerates to issue high risk loans in order to improve portfolios in poor communities.

Corporations have strengthened the global economy and banks have allowed for economic expansion by lending assets to growing businesses. Massive governments and over regulation has caused significant problems throughout the world.

• Logic

New York estimated that the Occupy NY movement has cost $2 million, while Atlanta’s bill has run to $300K… What about doing something productive with your unemployed ass instead of using up what little tax money the rest of us are paying for you useless deadbeats.

• Madehero2000

What monopoly are you referring to? The only monopolies present in our nation are those held by the federal government.

It is also important to note that this protest has become a drain on our economy. These people are affecting local small businesses, have been causing significant damage to the property that they occupy, and have been costing local governments large sums of money. Hurting small businesses simply leads to more layoffs, which has already occurred near multiple ‘Occupy’ sites. The damage to the occupied land and the cost to local government comes directly from the tax payers. It isn’t politicians that have to pick up the bill for these fools.

Unfortunately, those participating in these movements are the 99% and probably around 99% of them do not pay taxes. It will end up being the 53% that have to pay for the mess that they cause/leave behind.

• Anonymous

Good for the students! Quite frankly, ahem “our” generation had come to view the current student body across the country as “soft”. While grades are important (especially in this day and age…blech), urban college life is about more than just book learning, it is about social consciousness. It’s about linking what goes on in your campus community to what is going on around the state, the country, and the world. In an urban college, it’s actually part of the expected curriculum (otherwise, you’d just go to some school in northern Iowa).

True, in hind sight, the protests always have a silly event at their core: a juvenile refusal to show ID to a police officer (requiring such is covered under the 4th ammendment)…a crappy park that no one really cares about on a daily basis…

And yet, when students and local citizenry put two and two together, they see how campus life is really more of a microcosm of “the real world” than they thought: FSM…corporate-enforced censorship of the 50′s and early 60′s; crappy park…lack of corporate respect for America’s environment; (insert your own Viet Nam reference here). Validated, they hold their ground. And when they do, the ENTIRE COUNTRY realizes that how youth is reacting is really more meaningful than an excuse for a bunch of drum-circling hippies to have a campout (sorry).

For when tomorrow’s leaders start raising their voices (I know, sounds pretty snobby…sorry again), everyone else takes notice.

So raise your voice, but remember to maintain the link between your local cause to the general country-wide effort. If you do, the country will take notice. And when they do, you cannot help but win.

[or when tomorrow's leaders start raising their voices]

They aren’t “tomorrows leaders”, unless your generation’s standards are pathetically low…

• CalEconProf

Privatize the University of California!

• Jim

This is a horrible account

• Anonymous

In addition to a poverty-driven middle-class and corruption in America’s financial markets, for us Radicals, political criminality throws fuel on our rage. These State crimes by America’s elite corporate plutocracy were mostly hidden before advent of the blogosphere.  http://lyneussfields.blogspot.com/2011/09/collective-power-of-radical-crowds.html

Lay off the crack pipe before you post, please…

• Anonymous

With no evidence for your crack assertion, perhaps I should counter that you should quit molesting little children–please!

• Morally Superior

Stop projecting your faults on others.

• Madehero2000

I find it fascinating that you missed a critical point within the figure you provide. Yest, the wealthy are increasing the income at a faster rate than the poor; however, all groups/classes are increasing their wealth.

Instead of being happy with a modest raise, you will not be satisfied until your raise triumphs over that of all others. Thank you for showing your true characteristics, which are nothing more than greed and envy.

• Anonymous

Your supply-side
        argument was debunked years ago. Personally, I had the opportunity to see
        Arthur Laffer laughed out of an Econ 500 class I attended in the early 80s.
        Creating a “bigger pie” does nothing to increase demand among the
        middle-class with the top 1% claiming over 20% of annual income and 40% of
        total wealth. Coincidentally, the bottom 60% of income earners share less than
        1% of this wealth. Demand has and always will be the determinate of what gets
        produced and consumed. 

• Anonymous

Horrifying video of police violence. Why does the university respond to a few tents by calling in the riot police? 
    http://stevelimages.tumblr.com/

• Lincoln

If the administration makes a point that tents will not be allowed, but students erect tents in defiance, I don’t see how the administration has any choice but to remove the tents.  As far as sending in the riot gear, I think that it’s standard procedure for police to use such gear with large groups of protesters, even nonviolent ones, just for the sake of officer safety.

• pedro

It is one thing for UC Police to move to enforce the law (remove the tents), it is entirely another and inexcusable to use violence and brutality against non-violent protesters

• No

The students were blocking the UC Police from removing the tents. The students were blocking the UC Police from enforcing the law.

Sheesh.

• Man of Conscience

You’re right. So, let’s make sure that they hemorrhage to death from internal injuries.

If you’re so weak and fragile that participation in a physical confrontation puts you in imminent lethal danger, maybe you shouldn’t show up in the first place and try to pick a fight with the cops. Really now, you sound like some silly adolescent who thinks it’s fun to protest and break shit, and thinks it’s “unfair” that the other side offer any form of resistance…

• Guest

This entire conversation is ridiculous, as most all commentary on news articles are today. I haven’t heard one person who criticized these events from this forum, who was actually present for the very event they claim to know so much about. The students did not charge or challenge the police, they challenged the tuition hikes and the university’s policy to not allow them to form an encampment on Sproul. While it may seem like there was some sort of huge success for students culminating in an entire tent city, in reality probably about 4 to 5 tents were actually pitched before they were confiscated by police. A news story can’t give you everything you need to know, before going and picking a fight with somebody on the internet. If you had been there, you would have also known that this was a peaceful protest, and that there were chants throughout the night stating the police were not our enemies, to keep it peaceful and to encourage the police to join us, as they all face the same fears and concerns we do from the budget cuts. I especially direct this to those who criticize these students, who have been driven to this point of desperation by our preceding generations, and who face an entirely different world than the one you may have grown up in.

• Anonymouse

Boo, fucking, hoo.

• Guest

What witty repertoire, I hope your username reflects that and is not just an inability to correctly spell.

• yes

safety? from what? the students weren’t even carrying any thing that could have caused any harm

• Mark

The large numbers alone would be fairly intimidating to me, if I was an officer.  And to say that protesters are not carrying anything dangerous, it’s just an assumption.  Knives and similar things are concealed easily.  I agree that Berkeley students are not likely inclined to violence, but anarchists have infiltrated other occupations, and there was reportedly a contingent of protesters who came in from off campus.

With policing, it comes down to “better safe than sorry.”  These guys spend their whole careers in potentially-dangerous situations, so they try to minimize their exposure each day.

• Man of Conscience

One is in no way prompted by concerns over personal safety when repeatedly ramming a baton into a defenceless woman’s abdomen. By that, one is attempting to do one thing and one thing alone: To kill her. Because its fun.

You conveniently left out the fact that the “woman” in question defied police orders and willingly participated in an event that most people knew would likely degenerate into a violent confrontation – hardly “innocent”. But keep spouting your ludicrous extrapolations, as it only makes you and your side look childish and silly.

• Morally Superior

Your head is empty.  Since it no longer serves any useful purpose, you may safely remove it.

• You Are An Idiot

Defenseless? No, she could have easily defended herself by NOT TRYING TO BLOCK THE POLICE FROM DOING THEIR FUCKING JOB. She didn’t get hit for no reason. She got hit because she was obstructing the cops.

• Man of Conscience

Incorrect. She got hit because an officer thought hitting her was fun.

• You Are An Idiot

The video clearly shows that they were blocking the police from removing the last tent.

Your stupidity defies description.

• yes

Mark i was there, i was right next to a woman who was hit multiple times in the legs, neck and stomach. I WAS THERE. the cops didn’t even warn HER, ( the person whom was going to receive a act of force). I’m an officer in the army, we study something called ROA ( Route of action ) which describes the justifiable use of force on protesters. Students were not holding onto ANYTHING that was potentially harmful. In fact, their arms bind, which means the potential use of their fists is drastically reduced. I WAS THERE, if you think people are fabricating stories. I suggest you come down and have a look for yourself. Please don’t use your preconceived idea of a protest, especially when it’s PEACEFUL.  

• You Are An Idiot

She was blocking the police from removing an illegal tent encampment that the police said they were going to remove.

They don’t need to go up to each protester and address them individually before doing so. You idiots knew what you were doing and you purposefully tried to provoke the police into hitting you so you could cry about it on the internet and post videos on youtube.

[She was blocking the police from removing an illegal tent encampment that the police said they were going to remove.]

Thanks for filling in the little details that the Occupy Whatever people conveniently leave out…

• Man of Conscience

No one “provoked” this response. You might understand that if you were not in fact the ‘idtiot’.

• You Are So Dumb

Setting up tents after being told not to and physically blocking the cops from removing them = PROVOKING THIS RESPONSE

[Mark i was there, i was right next to a woman who was hit multiple times in the legs, neck and stomach.]

So you were there obstructing the police as well, right?

• Madehero2000

If you were there, then you are aware that these students knew that tents were not allowed, that they were deliberately preventing the officers from doing their job, and that the only method of breaking the crowd and clearing the area was to perform a few jabs with billy clubs.

Had your true goal been to avoid violence, then tents would not have been placed on the land.

It is also important to note, especially if you are in the army, that officers are required to uphold and enforce the law, regardless of the size of the group violating the law. You should also know that it is quite difficult to peacefully handcuff a group of several hundred people, one at a time, while they all have their arms linked, have made it clear that they will not obey the law or police officers, and would most likely present a threat to officers if they were to make an attempt to merely handcuff individuals.

• Man of Conscience

Wrong. You really need to do some reading.

• You Are An Idiot

Actually he/she is 100% correct.

Sounds like you don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

• Madehero2000

Do you not realize that harm can be done with your hands and feet, especially if you are in a large group?

• Tomthumbs
  • http://losinfinitos.tumblr.com Haz 0

Justicia para todos en la comunidad pronto llegara con lucha y determinación. Vamos! : Justice for the community will soon be had with determined struggle. Let’s go!

Favor de regresar a Mexico si no le gusta aqui…