UC Berkeley’s administration should be held accountable

Agreeing or disagreeing with the reaction of UC Berkeley’s administration to the budget crisis is a matter of political opinion. But after Wednesday night’s events, one thing is beyond doubt: The current administration is acting irresponsibly and can no longer lead our university.

On Wednesday, the campus called on the Alameda County Sheriff’s office to help disperse a student protest on campus. This time, the reason was a small encampment on the lawn near Sproul Hall. Mayors from all over the country, including rather conservative figures such as Michael Bloomberg, had allowed much larger encampments to stay. But the current administration insisted on enforcing one of the most insignificant and unimportant sections of our campus code, using dozens of cops in riot gear, who marched into Sproul Plaza, to beat students with batons and arrest many protesters. Finally, around 9:30 p.m., their mission was accomplished: The cops removed some seven tents and tore two banners off the front of Sproul Hall.

The administration’s decision to order an aggressive dispersal of the encampment put the lives of hundreds of people at risk. It was a miserably irrational and irresponsible decision, not unlike a similarly violent intervention they ordered during the Wheeler Hall events two years ago. The circumstances did not require any such intervention — the encampment was peaceful and did not interfere with any of the campus activities.

Had the administration bothered to listen to the protesters, they would have seen it themselves. However, just like two years ago, UC Berkeley’s powers that be did not show any intention to listen to anyone but themselves. Just like in the 2009 Wheeler Hall occupation, Chancellor Birgeneau was not present: he was on a trip to Asia. On Wednesday around 6:30 p.m., a group of administrators led by Vice Chancellor Harry Le Grande demanded that the tents be removed and left without listening to the protesters or trying to engage in a conversation.

The administration’s inability to communicate with the campus community turned a peaceful protest into an emergency. The students, staff and faculty of this university must hold them accountable for what could have very well ended in a horrible tragedy. It is time to demand that the administrators responsible for the decision to call the Alameda County Sheriff’s office resign.

Roi Livne is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Sociology at UC Berkeley.

• Ed Strelow

BTW this is the first article of the Bill of Rights

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
    prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of
    the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the
    Government for a redress of grievances. 

Nothing about toilets or sanitation as a pre-condition to peaceable assembly.

• Anonymous

Nothing about sleeping or camping as an exercise in free speech, unless all the protesters talk in their dreams.

• FGIS

demonstration is part of free expression, and pitching the tents was part of a demonstration. 

We’ll see how the courts rule on that. Or do you support obeying the law only when orders come from the riot police?

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[demonstration is part of free expression, and pitching the tents was part of a demonstration. ]

Bullshit. The tents have NOTHING to do with demonstrating, but are used to force a confrontation with the police, which is EXACTLY what the left-wing shit-stirrers want in the first place.

• Forever bear

can you imagine a situation where the tents are pitched and the police do not beat the shit out of them? I know it’s difficult to get it from the fascist point of view, but still…

Nothing about rioting, vandalism, graffiti, or shitting on police cars as protected “free speech” either, nor is there mention that your free speech right compels someone else to provide a forum for you. You silly progressives love to posture about how oh-so-educated/intelligent/enlightened you are, but you keep having problems getting a clue. Why don’t you ask those Tea Party folks – the ones you ridicule and smear all the time – how THEY were able to hold HUNDREDS of demonstrations nationwide without anyone getting beaten/arrested/raped/stabbed etc? Maybe they understand something you don’t…

• Thingy

Nobody rioted, vandalized, wrote graffiti, or shat on police cars in occupy Cal. You’re just showing that you weren’t there. 

• Ed Strelow

As a practicing attorney for 21 years I see a clear-cut lawsuit against the campus police and admin for excessive force and violation of civil rights.  The First Article of the Constitution protects peaceable assembly and doesn’t say anything about the need for public toilets as a condition of assembly.  I recommend that any injured student talk to an attorney with some experience in this field.   Too bad I myself am in So Cal.  I would love a case like this.

Boalt Hall is a major law school.  Isn’t someone there going to stand up for the students or are they all too intent on getting into the 1%?

• Anonymous

There is protection for peaceable assembly but not sleeping.  Sleeping is not a valid form of protest.  The Supreme Court has already ruled on this.  Cal protesters are free to hang around and chant all night long but they are not allowed to sleep or camp on Sproul.

• FGIS

So your conclusion is that the riot police should beat up every person who sleeps in the street?

So your conclusion is you should say something patently silly any time you are incapable of reasoning like an adult?

• Forever bear

So your conclusion is to call people “silly” when you are incapable of reasoning like an adult?

My reasoning is quite sound. When I call people silly, it’s because it’s the most suitable description of their thought processes I can make without using obscenities. Got it?

• Anonymous

The police will warn everyone who sleeps in the streets to move on.  But if a large group of homeless bums form a human chain to stop police from rousting the sleeping bums, then the police have every right to beat up the ones obstructing their path.

• Adolf Hitler

You’re absolutely correct. This is what I did – and it worked!

• Anonymous

You didn’t do it right.  You created new camps, when you’re supposed to take them down.

• Adolf Hitler

Unfortunately, I didn’t have you to give me advice. But it seems like you are ready to take on this job now, so I’m hopeful.

• Guest

They weren’t in the (public) street, though sleeping there is also prohibited.  They were on university grounds.

• http://dontfeartahrir.tumblr.com don’t fear tahrir

It’s just a tent- a symbol of protest. Humans in our community are without basic shelter. No one was sleeping. THe cops mess with anyone who stays overnight to keep them awake. This is about free speech and equality

• Anonymous

Tents are not a symbol of protest, any more than ski jackets or anchovy pizza are a sign of protest.  Not everything in this world is covered under freedom of expression.  The cops left everyone alone as long as everyone engaged in free SPEECH. 

• Anonymous

the tent was a way of pushing the cops button and crossing the line and when they did they lost…pretty simple!

[It's just a tent- a symbol of protest. Humans in our community are without basic shelter.]

So? Some people are suffering from hunger. Does that mean the protesters should set up a barbecue pit the next time they protest?

• Anonymous

The amount the U.S. military spends annually on air conditioning in Iraq and Afghanistan: $20.2 billion, according to a former Pentagon official.

• FuriousProfessor

I am a professor at another state University in California.  If police on our campus brutally assaulted our innocent students in the way that Berkeley campus cops did on Wed we would be calling for an immediate strike on campus until every brutal thug cop was investigated, fired, and prosecuted.  Every administrator in any way responsible for this debacle should be fired or should resign.  The students should rise up en masse and ALL occupy that area.

Police brutality is one of the most significant problems we all face.  Take a stand!

• Anonymous

The fact that students in your California State University did not stage an occupation where they camp out overnight proves that they know how to follow sensible rules and obey civilian authorities unlike the Berkeley student protesters.

• Guest

Penguins are stupid.

• Nikola1tesla

A few protestors intended to get arrested peacefully through “civil disobedience”, the way demonstrators since the 60s passively allowed themselves to be arrested at sit-ins so that their political point could be made through the courts. Cops are NOT allowed to beat the living crap out of passive peaceful unarmed protestors who are passively waiting to be arrested. So what that these kids KNOW they are “breaking” the rule about tents and are waiting to go to jail. Cops don’t have the right to puncture their spleens and break their ribs.  This is MY SCHOOL. I know many of the brainy grade-skipping kids at my school aren’t even 18 yet– that makes these cops child beaters on the level of Penn State Coaches, their Chiefs and our Campus Admins no better than Paterno. Plunging a nightstick into any peacful demonstrator’s guts, breasts, and balls should get you a one way ticket to prison, and BTW, how DO these cops treat prisoners when they think no one is looking.  THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

• Cat

thank you, Nikola Tesla, for bringing some reason into the comments here. And for your wonderful inventions, of course. 

• FuriousProfessor

Last year our students occupied buildings including the President’s office and the police were never deployed.  That is because our administrators understand that protecting student safety as well as free speech takes a precedent over enforcing “sensible rules” and violating our students’ civil rights.

• Anonymous

I could find no mention of any tents or camp-outs in any CSU President’s office last year.  And when your campus police tell your students to do something, they probably obey unlike the over-privileged Cal limousine liberals who think they’re above the law.

• Guest

You’re not a professor.  Your rhetoric and spelling (“another state University”) make it obvious that you’re a bullshitter.

• Guest

What it boils down to really is that everyone’s upset that the Berkeley administration finally grew a pair and isn’t putting up with the crap that disrupts the campus community.  Sure there may have been 1000-3000 people on Wednesday night, but that’s less than 5% of the local campus community and doesn’t even register on the gauge of the greater UC community.  Finally the administration is showing they have a spine and is acting for the entire campus/UC community, not just the loud-mouth special interest groups (who aren’t even part of the community).

As an alum and donor (to student scholarship programs), I’m sitting in my office here in Atlanta using my Cal education to help my community.  What’s happening at Cal right now is eclipsing the light of Fiat Lux.  And THAT hurts the people of California more the do-nothing elected officials in Sacramento.

Read the regional and national media.  What they are writing is about the conduct of the two sides in the conflict, NOT the issue. 

• Sad

Yes, they finally grew a pair and decided to use that newfound backbone to stifle free speech and protest, and to inflict violence on nonviolent students [that they are supposed to protect] in the name of protecting them.  
      Woah…doublespeak. 

And its not like these students are protesting social inequality or anything, trying to make the world a better place and preserve the ideals of accessible public education and contributing to the future of society.
      Oh wait….

Oh, and yes. According to the national media, police were simply ‘nudging’ students with batons. 
      Oh wait…

Yes, they finally grew a pair and decided to use that newfound backbone to stifle free speech and protest

Oh, bullshit. The typical malcontents went looking for a fight, and they got it. Life goes on…

• UC Is Fail

“The administration’s inability to communicate with the campus community turned a peaceful protest into an emergency.”

The Daily Cal Senior Editorial Board should read that line another time, so that it sinks in. As it is the exact opposite of the tripe passed off in a staff editorial a few weeks ago.

• UCB Alum and UC Professor

How is linking hands more violent than driving at 100MPH ?  But when you speed, you just get a ticket.  When you link hands, you get beaten.  I’m ashamed of my Alma Mater.

• Alan Gregory

When you speed you get a ticket. When you link hands, nothing happens at all.

When you continue to speed after a cop tells you to stop, you get arrested and can even get shot by the police. When you link hands and continue to block the police from removing illegal tent encampments, you get poked with a night stick and maybe arrested.

I’m ashamed that people who claim to represent me (as part of the 99%) are so stupid.

• Guest

“Poked?” Seriously??

• Guest

yeah. hard to believe, but he is serious.

• Anonymous

When you link hands to prevent emergency first responders like cops or firemen from doing their jobs, you are breaking the law. 

• FGIS

So the cops who fractured my ribs were “emergency first responders”? 
        Gees, we have some original opinions here. 

• Anonymous

Cops by definition are first responders.  They clearly were responding to an emergency situation on campus.  And if you were obstructing them then you were aiding and abetting lawbreakers.

• FGIS

They didn’t RESPOND to an emergency. They CREATED an emergency. 7 tents are not an emergency. 

The protesters were asked to remove their tents, and with good reason. They refused to do so, then they forced a confrontation with the police – and lost. End of story…

• Alo

with what good reason, tony? 

• Anonymous

actually you go to jail when caught going 100 mph and if you resist arrest you get poked in the ribs and beaten.

• Don

they didn’t resist arrest. 

• UCB Alum and UC Professor

Birgeneau must resign or be fired.

• Guest

ditto.

• FGIS

What do you want from him? The guy was having fun on a tour in Asia – much more important than staying in Berkeley for the two weeks of protest. One should have a set of priorities. 

• Anonymous

Yes, Birgeneau should be fired for trying to get California taxpayers to pay for illegal aliens’ tuition.  

• FGIS

Thanks for exposing what type of racist asshole you are, penguin.

• Anonymous

Did I happen to mention the race of the illegal aliens?  No!  But you assumed I did because you’re an idiot.  You don’t even realize how the massive influx of illegal alien families have strained California’s educational, social, medical, and correctional facilities past the breaking point.  State funds are gone and Cal students are facing unprecedented tuition hikes.  Isn’t that the whole reason the Occupy Cal students are out on the streets? 

• FGIS

Oh, right! You were referring to the undocumented immigrants that are coming to America from north-western Europe! I am indeed an idiot. So sorry! 

Given your hard stand against immigration, should I assume that you are a native american and that your ancestors are not immigrants? 

There’s a difference between LEGAL IMMIGRANTS and ILLEGAL ALIENS, despite your refusal to acknowledge it. One more example of your disingenuous tactics in this forum.

• Guest

Right. Legal immigrants cocameme and kill all the native americans. Illegal ALIENS came, grew your vegetables, cleaned your houses, and raised your kid for less than minimum wage, just to get deported by your department of homeland security.

Illegal aliens have done their share of killing as well, idiot.

• Greatdivide

Right, because you’re two and  all you can do is name  call when some one makes a point that disagrees with you. Can you understand Ad hominem? No of course not, because that would involve a bit of logic, which seems to have skipped you on the evolutionary chain.

• Forever bear

Your “legal” immigrants who did the genocide in California and in Mexico killed a lot more. 

• Anonymous

Those were the Spaniards.  We liberated California from the European Mexicans that subjugated the native Indians.

• Thingy

What about the genocide that YOU did in California (particularly Mendocino county)

• Anonymous

Did the Native Americans build U.C. Berkeley and provide food, shelter, medicine, K-12 education, and free college tuition to early European settlers?

• Greatdivide

If I recall correctly the states out of money because of the poorly structured tax system that in the 70s for example did away with a large part of the tax revenue  that was obtained from property ownership to secure Republican votes and leniency we have with taxing corporations due that… but I’m only aware of that because of the four years I spent in a public university, see what happens when such institutions are lacking.

And if you want to go there with illegal immigrants, I know a few Native Americans who can’t wait to deport your as$. Way to fail at being a red herring. Your logic may work at lesser schools like, I don’t know, Stanford, but this is Berkeley, so move on, boy. 

• Anonymous

The state had many opportunities to revoke parts of Prop 13 but most of the Democrats voted with Republicans against increased property tax.  It turns out Democrats are not that dumb after all and hate paying taxes too.
            And until Native Americans start building new U.C. campuses and fighting against Mexico’s military to acquire California from Mexico they have no say on who gets deported or not.  You’re probably not even aware that native Mexican Indians are not indigenous to California and can’t claim ownership of this state through their Spanish invaders’ conquests.

Thanks for playing the race card when you couldn’t come up with an intelligent refutation of someone elses’s argument.

• Greatdivide

Yeah, Birgeneau should be fired for not having the balls to deal with protesters who protest unlawfully and obstruct police with the punishments they deserve. That’s why Clark Kerr was fired. Personally I love Birgeneau and think he’s great so I  hope they don’t fire him because of a few idiot’s inability to move away from police officers when they are told to.

• Mark Valenzuela

RECALL THE REGENTS!!!        THEY SPEND MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SALARIES THAT SHOULD BE USED FOR THE UNIVERSITY!!      EACH CAMPUS SHOULD RECALL THEIR REGENTS AND FORCE THEM TO TAKE A WAGE CUT!!!……..AND GET THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY INVOLVED IN THE RECALLS TOO!!

ITS TIME FOR REFORM AND REVOLT!!!

• Guest

EXPEL THE PROTESTERS!!!!      THEY FORCE THE REGENTS TO SPEND MILLIONS UPON  MILLIONS IN FIGHTING RIDICULOUS LAWSUITS BROUGHT AGAINST THE CAMPUS BY STUDENTS WHO CAN’T BEHAVE!! EACH CAMPUS SHOULD EXPEL THE PROTESTERS AND FORCE THEM TO GET OUT OF THE UC SYSTEM!!………. AND SHUT DOWN OCCUPY OAKLAND TOO!!!

OCCUPY PROTESTS HURT THE 99%!!!!

• Guest

Note : Not a single banker has been accused of charges of fraud. Many of those on the UC Regents board also sit on the boards of banks. The use of the police was a move made by the Regents – they didn’t HAVE to use the police to beat the students into submission, and could have saved a ton of money NOT doing so.
        As for lawsuits..well, shame on the justice system for taking up money in the name of the pursuit of prosecuting those who have committed crimes. You’re right. The justice system should just be abolished since it takes up to much money, and everyone who speaks their minds against what they see as an unjust, unfair, monopolized system should be expelled. 

[Roi Livne is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Sociology at UC Berkeley.]

Worthless drivel from someone pursuing a worthless Ph.D. Figures…

• FGIS

Have you ever read a book, Tony? Do you know what sociology means?

My bookshelf in my home office is filled with works by such authors as Thomas Sowell, Dinesh D’Souza, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Davis S Landes, Victor Davis Hansen, and other writers of whose work you have probably never read a page. They discuss a number of issues that might fall under the banner of “sociology”, albeit from positions of more demonstrable authority than some cloistered grad school from the lower half of the Cal Campus.

• Forever bear

lol

• Doosh

When you can’t make sense – attack ad hominem. Eh, Tony?

• Guest

It ain’t an ad hominem if it’s true, Doosh.

• Guest

Ad hominem = personal attack as opposed to talking about the topic itself. This article is not about sociology or sociology students. It is about the administration’s negligence. And your criticism is about the author being a sociologist, which is ad hominem.

OK, show me all those online job boards looking for graduates with Sociology degrees. Otherwise, my comment stands: if you waste time and run up debt getting a degree that is viewed as worthless in the real world of private sector employment, don’t piss and moan about “income inequality” because you can’t make enough money to pay back your student loans.

There’s a reason some of us busted our asses and literally gave up our free time and social lives for years at a time, so we could make it through degree programs that provided us with marketable skills and a chance of being employed at a decent level of compensation. There’s also a reason that some of us never supported the same runaway liberal spending policies that just about bankrupted California, drove off a large chunk of high-paying jobs, and resulted in the current tuition hikes that has put your panties in a knot. Sorry you just don’t have either the economic intuition or cerebral capacity to get it. Some of us figured this shit out a long time ago, apparently you have not.

• Anonymous

Tony, there were PLENTY of jobs for graduates of every discipline in the 70’s. As an English major, I went on write technical documentation for many years. Jobs were abundant until the 400 people who now own the wealth on this planet decided to reverse human rights and dignity and feed their addiction to greed.

By the way: ever have a Starbucks in a college town? Thank the 99%. 

[Jobs were abundant until the 400 people who now own the wealth on this
            planet decided to reverse human rights and dignity and feed their
            addiction to greed.]

Even for you, that’s a silly statement.

• Forever bear

even if it were true, the article is not about sociology – it’s about police violence, and you are criticizing the author for being a sociologist, which is ad hominem. 

• Anonymous

“Worthless troll apologizing for police brutality.”

How can I apologize for something that didn’t happen?

• Forever bear

There’s proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buovLQ9qyWQ

• 1_Eagle Twitter

Re: this 1st Amendment argument: I know most of you are young, but #ows has fooled you about your rights. FOOLED YOU!

The Constitution does NOT grant immunity from common laws, ordinances, or even “campus codes”.

If you are breaking the law, or the rules, you are NO LONGER PROTECTED by “Peaceably Assemble” which by any definition means an orderly and lawful assembly.

If YOU CHOOSE to involve yourself in CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, fine, but don’t waste your time trying to find that term in the Constitution, because there is no protection for DISOBEDIENCE even if your daddy did it and its a “tradition on campus” Good luck in Court trying too find immunity in the Constitution.

And if you do CHOOSE to take the road of CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE, at least don’t whine like little girls if you get roughed up or about the conditions of your jail cell!

You are too old for spankings now!

Finally: take a lesson from the Tea Party which also protests this lousy economy brought to you by years of expensive Socialist policies (ie: Community Reinvestment Act 1977 AKA Fannie Mae) but does so very effectively via permits and lawful assembly, and utilization of the voting booth.

Effective protesting CAN be done without tents, sore heads, and jail time!

• Anonymous

Yes, but it’s hard to feed the homeless while protesting in that manner.

• cc423

So tell me what those students were doing that was so awful? I saw Tea Party jerks toting automatic rifles in public parks and not one of them was arrested for it. Why? Because  the powers that be are afraid to confront conservatives less they get called a liberal. You watch the video tape of those students getting beaten by the police and you tell me that brand of vicious fascism is OK.

• Alan Gregory

They were blocking the police from removing an illegal encampment.

The Tea Party individuals in question were carrying unloaded weapons in compliance with local ordinances.

[ saw Tea Party jerks toting automatic rifles in public parks and not one of them was arrested for it.]

Because they were toting them in a legal manner in compliance with local and federal laws, and were smart enough to know the cops can’t arrest you if you aren’t breaking the law. Come on now, are you really THAT stupid, or is this just an act?

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_Q2QSZRHK3JIZT4VQP24BKXO6NE George

Hey occupier! im so proud of you i made a wikipedia articles for you ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Cal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupy_Berkeley

• 1_Eagle Twitter

How many other sections of the campus code are “insignificant and unimportant” in your view?”

After the students were told camping would not be allowed and they disobeyed, what further communication do you suggest?

Since you are the smartest person on campus who is wiser than the administration, why did you not bring your vaunted communication skills and resolve the matter?

Do you have any criticism at all for the protesters who refused to disperse when ordered?

• Go Birgeneau!

I couldn’t agree more. All laws should be enforced with as much power as we can. From now on, whenever somebody rides her bike on sproul plaza Birgeneau should call the national guard’s tanks to arrest them. 

This is how democracy looks like!

Another idiot who hasn’t figured out that neither Cal Berkeley nor the United States of America are based on a “democracy”…

• Greatdivide

Shut-up already. 

• Thingy

Correct. They’re based on the rule of capital. 

Thank you for clarifying that, Tony boy. 

• Berkeley Mom

Law enforcement cannot possibly enforce every law, code and ordinance on campus or in public.  Choices must be made about which to enforce and how to enforce.  Administrators made a very poor choice in choosing to enforce this code and the UC PD made an extremely poor choice in how to enforce it.  Jabbing young women in the abdomen with batons for peacebly assembling was not a justifiable use of force and put the young women at risk for serious injury.  As a Berkely student mom I was horrified to see this take place.     

• Guest

Blocking the police from removing unlawful encampments and spitting at them and chanting hate slogans at them is not “peaceable assembly.”

• Anonymous

Administrators were very clear about this “line in the sand” because if protesters were allowed to camp out on Sproul then the administration would have to let them camp out in libraries, in classrooms, and in financial aid offices so that the university ceases to function.

• FGIS

But the didn’t camp in the libraries, classrooms, and offices. They just pitched 7 tents in Sproul. This whole slippery slope argumentation just legitimizes violence against people who did something completely benign, by saying that they could have done some other things that are illegitimate. 

But the didn’t camp in the libraries, classrooms, and offices. They just pitched 7 tents in Sproul.

And were damned well aware that this would result in a confrontation. Well, the idiots got what they wanted.

Law enforcement cannot possibly enforce every law, code and ordinance on campus or in public.  Choices must be made about which to enforce and how to enforce.  Administrators made a very poor choice in choosing to enforce this code

Why, given that they have seen enough of what happened at Occupy Oakland if they didn’t make an immediate stand against illegal campers? I disagree with probably 90% of the decisions make by Birgenau and his fellow ass-clowns, but they made the right call on this one…

• urbaned

And, when the administrators resign and learn a lesson, let them humbly walk among the students and suggest ways they can find jobs to pay off their debt. Or, at least, walk among the students.

• Anonymous

Student protesters don’t believe they have to pay off any debt.  They believe everything should be free, banks should be looted, and ownership of cozy 3-bedroom 2-bath houses are a human right.

• FGIS

…And now back to reality: 
        Student debt has reached 1 trillion dollars in October. This debt cannot be relieved through bankrupcy, so more and more Americans are enslaved to it. 

But reality has never really concerned conservatives such as this Calipenguin dude. 

• Anonymous

Yes, let’s get back to reality.  You say student debt has reached $1 trillion.  What do you want to do about it?  I don’t think you have a clue.  You want to see it evaporate?  Well, I want a brand new house and I don’t want to pay back the bank.  Is that OK too?  I want a new BMW, an Escalade, and a new MacBook Air, and the bank better give me a loan and not harass me about ever paying it back.

• FGIS

Okay, a good question, finally. 
            The $1 trillion of debt didn’t come from nowhere. It’s the result of  years of cuts in public education, which forced people to borrow money. I (and many other people) want to bring back the welfare state, so that people don’t end up miring in such an unsustainable debt. This is actually something that you should support, even as a conservative, because debtors will not be able to pay much of  this $1 trillion anyway: They simply don’t have the money. What happened in the 2007 meltdown may happen again just a few years from now – many people will fail to pay their debt and the whole financial system will collapse. this is a totally unsustainable situation, which can be solved with more public funding to higher education.

The $1 trillion of debt didn’t come from nowhere. It’s the result of  years of cuts in public education,

Oh, bullshit. Your “cuts” for most of those years were merely reductions in the amount requested, not absolute cuts in dollar spending. What part of THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA IS BROKE do you NOT understand?

• Forever bear

yes, it is cuts in absolute numbers. Right now we’re talking about 35 billion dollars in cuts. 

• Anonymous

Do you think money in a welfare state grows on trees or gets printed by machines with lots of zeros?  Who pays for the welfare system?  The top 1% has already hired lawyers smarter than you or I and their money is untouchable.  And who will teach university students?  Top researchers and educators would have abandoned a welfare state long ago for wealthy schools that have the resources to support them. 
            And no, as a conservative I don’t believe in simply forgiving debt because the NEXT wave of debtors will expect the same generosity, and we’re already on the verge of bankruptcy.

• Ellen Faden

And, when the administrators resign and humbly learn a lesson, let them walk among the students and suggest ways they can find jobs to pay off their debt. Or, at least, walk among the students.

• berkeley resident

If UCPD did NOT enforce illegal lodging on campus there would be encampments and cesspools of germs and disease all over campus.  I’m not exaggerating.  Nothing against homeless people, but stop any homeless person in Berkeley and ask him/her what kind of communicable disease s/he is carrying and you will get a laundry list, including lice, scabies, and all sorts of diseases most students have never even seen except for read about in a textbook once or twice.

So, before you go asking to be ABOVE the law, consider the consequences.  You cannot pick and choose what laws/codes apply to you and which don’t.  If you want to scream and cry about your right to free speech and peaceable assembly (which sorry, you did not look peaceably assembled yesterday), you sure better be willing to abide by other laws and codes as well.  Don’t be hypocrites.  That really diminishes your credibility.

• Of

Hi alleged Berkeley resident,
      I guess that if you’re a Berkeley resident, and especially one who is so prejudiced against homeless people, you know that people’s park is just 800 feet from Sproul Plaza and that there are many more than 7 tents there. Do you think that the lice and scabies that they have there cannot migrate to Sproul Plaza even without the student protest movement? 

I’m sorry you couldn’t show up to the protests yesterday. Please do come in the next time, and then you won’t write that we did not look “peaceably assembled.”

• Alan Gregory

People’s Park should have been shut down long ago.
        If you love it so much, why not go Occupy it instead. Too scared?

• Guest

I have my lunches there every day. I’m not afraid from homeless people or from the poor – really sorry to see that you are. We occupy Sproul because it’s a more central location in the university.

• Anonymous

The point is not whether you are afraid of the drug dealers in People’s Park, but rather why don’t you camp in an area designated for camping, which coincidentally also has historical significance with the FSM?

• FGIS

First, people’s park is NOT designated for camping. 
            Second, re-read his comment and see that s/he has already explained why they chose Sproul. 

• Anonymous

What an idiot!  So now you’re saying just because People’s Park is NOT designated for camping, protesters should follow the rules and not camp there?  Yet disobey the same rules and camp on Sproul?   I’m merely suggesting that protesters camp at People’s Park because there are already overnight campers there and the camps won’t get in the way of real students who have real classes to attend.

• FGIS

When people run out of argument they start cursing. You are the best example for that. I strongly encourage you to read the comments that you are replied to. Your writing doesn’t event make sense.

When people run out of argument they start cursing.

Not necessarily. Some of us merely get fed up with trying to knock some sense into fucking morons like you.

• Guest

keep on cursing, you’re just proving the point…

Waa-aah.

• Greatdivide

Remeber when I said you were two… thanks for confirming.

• cc423

So you are OK with unarmed and non-violent protestors being beaten by helmeted baton wielding cops hell-bent on beating people into submission? Why do you hate America and our freedoms so much you would allow this? You disgust me.

• Alan Gregory

So you are OK with screaming and hateful protestors setting up illegal encampments and spitting on cops who are just trying to do their jobs? Why do you hate America and our freedoms so much you would
        allow this? You disgust me. 

• Anonymous

“Why do you hate America and our freedoms so much you would allow this?”
          Never thought I would see absurd vintage 2002 Patriot Act apologist logic again.
          Also: syntax.

Why do you say the most idiotic things, other than to confirm your own extreme left-wing credentials?

• Greatdivide

The only mind-numbing argumentation I see is from you… it’s rather pathetic actually. And while I agree with the protesters deserving removal for provoking the situation as  they did, it makes me cringe at the thought of being associated with you. If you want to help the cause, how about you shut up.

• Guest

look how much violence you need to use to have these “freedoms” of yours. Seriously, your view of “freedom” is just brilliant. Reminds me of Hitler and Stalin.

• Anonymous

“…Michael Bloomberg, had allowed much larger encampments to stay.”

Those were on public property.  The university in not public property.

• Wanderer

Which university is not public property? 
      The University of California, Berkeley? You mean, the PUBLIC University of California, Berkeley? 

You’ve summarized it all, bro. 

• Oldwhiteguy

Yes, it is private property. It belongs to the Regents of the University of California.

But the aggressive response was a public relations catastrophe, at the least…

• Anonymous

The UC is not “public” in the same way a as sidewalk.

• Ricardo Gomez

Actually, OWS encampment is on private property. Also, the University is a public area, and must follow various laws regardless of who technically “owns” the campus.

• Anonymous

“Actually, OWS encampment is on private property.”

Then why does Mayor Bloomberg get to decide if the protestors are allowed to stay?

• BBFFG

It’s actually a good question: the area in NY is a public area managed and run by a private company. So its legal definition is pretty complicated. Although the area there is sort of private, Bloomberg still had the power to decide not to continue raiding it. 

• PrincessOccupy

Sorry, the park you are referring to in New York  is PRIVATE Property and regardless of  Berkeley being Private, it is THE university known for Marches, protests, etc.  School AND police should already be prepared to do the RIGHT thing when it comes to the First Amendment!!  Not BEAT PEACEFUL students.  You need to educate yourself before making comments.

• Some person

Peaceful? When you obstruct police and disobey their numerous requests, you’re no longer a peaceful protestor. Don’t give out what you can’t take.

• Trouble

people aren’t obstructing the police, the police are charging people peacefully occupying a lawn. that’s like saying you are obstructing a car because someone drives into your living room.

If you’re not cooperating when the police try to enforce a lawful order, you ARE obstructing the police. Get a clue…

• Alumni

The question is not whether they obstructed or not. The question is whether it was SMART to call the riot police to disperse a demonstration that was peaceful and didn’t put anyone at risk. 

Sorry, but it wasn’t.

• Anonymous

they’re only educators – forgive them

• Guest

No, the question was whether they were peaceably assembling, and the answer is NO.

• Anonymous

What was violent about the assembly?

• Guest

Are you kidding me? THEY WERE LOCKING HANDS!! WHAT CAN BE MORE VIOLENT THAN THAT??

• FGIS

“some person” – you weren’t there, because there were no “numerous requests.” 

As for your suggestion no to “give out what you can’t take” – I have no idea what you’re trying to say. 

Berkeley is also known for crazy people who walk around naked and never take baths. Are you seriously suggesting such behavior should be emulated because this town/campus has some image of left-wing kookery to uphold for the rest of the universe?

• Guest

ever been to berkeley, Tony boy?