What role did the Berkeley police play in Occupy Cal Wednesday?

Berkeley Police Department Sgt. Mary Kusmiss sent out an email Thursday morning clarifying what the department’s involvement was in Wednesday’s Occupy Cal demonstrations:

There has been some widespread confusion as to the law enforcement entities that were involved in the Occupy Cal events of last evening. Members of the City of Berkeley Police Department were not part of any mutual aid or assistance last evening/night. We have received calls and emails about our presence there. Out of respect and policy, we defer to UCPD to speak to their jurisdiction, activities and what assistance they sought.

City of Berkeley Police Department did manage the protest/demonstration during a part of the afternoon of November 9, 2011 when the group of several hundred onto City of Berkeley streets which are our jurisdiction. Groups have often done this when protesting or demonstrating in the past. BPD had bike officers, motor officers, parking enforcement officers and patrol officers to maintain community safety, the safety of participants, officer safety and to monitor the group for any unlawful activity. There was much verbal energy but no arrests were made. It went fairly smoothly. BPD managed the march until the group returned to UC campus.

-Sgt. Mary Kusmiss, Berkeley Police Department

Soumya Karlamangla is the assistant city news editor.

• Skither211

Can a march be ‘managed’?