Occupy Oakland to march to support UC Berkeley general strike

A protester stands with her hand raised atop a semi trailer as protesters march towards the Oakland port from downtown during the Nov. 2 general strike.
Rashad Sisemore/Staff

Looking to support Occupy Cal and its “fight against police brutality,” Occupy Oakland is planning to march to UC Berkeley to join the campus general strike Tuesday.

“We must recognize that the very same OPD officers and Sheriffs who attacked us here were sent only a few days later to brutalize people at Berkeley,” according to the Facebook event. “And, once they are finished at Berkeley, they will return to attack us again.”

The group plans to meet in Frank Ogawa Plaza — which demonstrators call Oscar Grant Plaza — in Oakland at 2:30 p.m. to march down Telegraph Avenue for the 5 p.m. general assembly Tuesday.

“In calling for a strike, activists realize that the university’s function in society is to create a division between haves and have-nots. Therefore, this is meant as a special kind of strike, one where all those who have been excluded from the UC system converge on the campus and help occupy it. At the same time as we shut the university down, we open it up to all who have been excluded from it,” according to the Facebook event.

Occupy Oakland’s decision to stand with Occupy Cal is part of a larger pattern of support between the two groups. Last month, the November protests planned in response potential increases in tuition were rebranded “Occupy Cal” and two weeks ago, a group of UC Berkeley students  marched from Upper Sproul Plaza on campus down Telegraph — the same path that the Occupy Oakland demonstrators plan to take Tuesday — to support Oakland’s general strike on Nov. 2.

Soumya Karlamangla is the assistant city news editor.