Student regent responds to decision to postpone UC Board of Regents’ meeting

The UC Board of Regents will reschedule this week’s meeting due to concerns of violence, according to an announcement from the UC Office of the President Monday morning.

Following a statewide strike and day of action scheduled for Tuesday, protesters planned to demonstrate against continued state divestment from higher education, as well as other issues.  The meeting was originally scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, with time allotted to discuss issues such as the UC Retirement Plan and the board’s budget request from the state for the next fiscal year.

UC Student Regent Alfredo Mireles Jr. released a statement shortly after the announcement was made, stating that both he and Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein oppose the decision to change the date, and possibly the venue, of the meeting.

Read Mireles’ statement below:

Alfredo Mireles Jr and Jonathan Stein, the Student Regent and Student Regent-Designate respectively, oppose the decision to cancel this week’s Regents meeting. We understand that UCSF law enforcement authorities recommended the meeting be postponed in the interest of public safety. However, students have a right to protest peacefully and make their voices heard forcefully; this action eliminates their opportunity to do that. We would support finding a way for student attendees to exercise their constitutional and moral right to protest while excluding non-student elements that raise the specter of violence and vandalism. We urge students who had made plans to travel to San Francisco for the Regents meeting to travel to Sacramento instead, and make student frustrations known to the state’s ultimate decision-makers.

• Bear

We’re beginning to see this gray area where that which is supposed to be “peaceful” turns into something else.  What is meant by the phrase “students have a right to protest peacefully and have their voices heard forcefully”?  

And please don’t get all angry and pissed off, I’m seriously trying to open the forum up for discussion here. 

• LOL

…students have a right to protest peacefully and make their voices heard
    forcefully; this action eliminates their opportunity to do that.

How the fuck does canceling a meeting keep the students from protesting?
    Is the Student Regent an idiot?

• LOL Is As LOL Does

no meeting, means no protest at the meeting.
      stop pretending you can’t understand (hallmark of a troll, btw)