UCPD shoots suspect at UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business

Dan Mogulof and police officers stand at the entrance to the Haas School of Business.
Derek Remsburg/Staff

At a press conference Tuesday afternoon, UCPD confirmed that an officer shot a man at the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business earlier in the day after he brandished a gun “in a threatening manner.”

According to UCPD Chief Mitch Celaya, officers arrived at the business school at 2:19 p.m. in response to a report that someone in the building had a gun.

Celaya said at the press conference that after three officers entered a computer lab at the school and approached the suspect, he pulled out the gun and displayed it in a “threatening” way, leading one of the officers to shoot the suspect out of fear for his safety and that of the other officers and students in the lab.

He added that at one point there were four students between the suspect and the officers.

There have been no other reported injuries.

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau said at the press conference that witnesses have reported that they heard the police order the suspect to lower his gun.

The suspect was taken to Highland Hospital in Oakland. He was conscious when he was transported out of the school, according to Celaya.

Celaya said there is currently nothing to suggest the shooting was related to the day’s Occupy demonstrations. Shortly after the shooting, UCPD Lt. Alex Yao called the shooting an “isolated incident.”

Celaya could not confirm the suspect’s motivation, identity or student status but said he was described as a 5-foot-8-inch white male in his 20s wearing blue jeans and a blue jacket. He was also unable to say whether the suspect’s gun was loaded at the time of the incident.

“I cannot tell you how sorry I am that we are having this press conference,” Birgeneau said at the 4 p.m. conference.

According to Birgeneau, police were alerted after a staff member from the building saw what she thought might be a gun in the suspect’s backpack when they were in an elevator together.

It is possible that there was a camera present in the room during the shooting, though it is unclear whether it was functioning, according to Celaya.

Birgeneau said the last shooting on campus he could remember occurred in the 1980s.

“Now we are there, along with Kent State and Virginia Tech,” he said at the conference.

The school was closed following the incident but was reopened shortly thereafter with the exception of the area where the shooting occurred.

Jordan Bach-Lombardo and Javier Panzar of The Daily Californian contributed to this report.

Sarah Burns is the lead crime reporter.

• Edgarcordero49

they faild lolololololololo
    lolololololololo
    olololololol
    lololololo
    ollol
    olol
    o
    lo
    lol
    o
    lolo
    l
    ol
    ololo
    l
    o
    l
    o

lo
    l
    io
    l
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    l
    ol
    ol
    ol
    o
    lo
    lo
    lo
    l
    olo
    lolo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    l
    ol
    ololo
    lolo
    lo
    o
    l
    ol
    olo
    lo
    lo
    l
    olo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    l
    o
    lo
    l
    o
    olo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lolo
    l
    olo
    l
    o
    l
    olo
    lo
    l
    o
    l
    lololoololol
    lo
    ol
    o
    l
    lo
    lol
    o
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    lo
    l
    ol
    olo
    lo
    l
    o
    lo
    l
    olo
    l
    olo
    ll
    o

lolol
    ol
    olol
    ol
    lo
    l
    olo
    ol
    ol
    ol

lo

like plz:]

• Edgarcordero49

trololololoolooolollolololololololololololoolololololololololololololoolololololololo

• Edgarcordero49

trolololololol
    lololololololololololololol
    1010101010101010101001101101011010010011010lolololololo
    lo
    lo

loilo
    l
    olo
    l
    oo

lo
    lolo
    l
    ol

olol
    ol
    ol
    ol
    lo
    lo
    l
    o
    lo
    l
    o
    lo
    l
    olo

lo
    lo
    l
    o
    lo
    lolol
    o
    lo
    l
    ololo9
    lo

looool
    ol
    lo
    ollo
    ol
    loolol
    ol
    ol
    lol
    o
    lo

lo
    ol
    ol
    ol
    ol

lool

• Lkjlk

The guy brought a gun to campus. He wield the weapon while students were in the same room. This is exactly what the police are for. 

• Kyle

Scenario 1) Police shoot an armed gunman on campus before he can inflict harm on students – Berkeley kids get mad, they should have used their words.

Scenario 2) Police fail to shoot the guy and try to talk with him about the repercussions of his actions over some raw-vegan whole-grain bread while 10 people get shot – Berkeley kids get mad, the police are ineffective.

Conclusion) there is no winning with you people…

• Eringowalsh317

I am automatically suspicious if it’s unclear whether a camera was functioning in a police-related incident.  That sounds too coincidentally convenient.    plain and simple.  10 shots is 9 too many to immobilize a man…Moreover, if the student hadn’t fired yet and it was unclear if the gun was armed, they should have tazed.

• Anonymous

^ same person.  I think firing at all was unacceptable, I just think the fact that they fired 10 times means that their motive had to be more than to just immobilize the person

• Alan Greensam

You shoot to kill.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[having a discussion about democracy is a reasonable goal and hardly screaming into the void.]

What is the purpose of all this blather about “democracy”, given the fact that this country is based on a constitutional republic, NOT on a democracy?

• Anonymous

Good one Tony…
      How many hours a day do you spend on the Daily Cal website btw?

• Cal dad paying tuition

I’m confused – if guns are banned on campus, how could the man possibly have had one?  I mean, they’re BANNED, right?  The police were wrong to shoot him before he shot any students because they couldn’t have known for a fact that he was going to use the gun.  They should have waited until after he shot someone, when they would have been wrong for not acting earlier.And even if video exists of the man brandishing the weapon, don’t you believe it.  It was probably filmed in the same Utah studio where they faked the moon landings!

• UC Maximum Fakery

“Now we are there, along with Kent State and Virginia Tech,” -Bob Birgeneau

Does Birgeneau actually know what happened at Kent sate & V. Tech?
    Does he not understand that those incidents have little in common?
    He’s never heard of Amy Bishop? (again, unlike the other 2, but much more recent.)

UC says witnesses heard the police order the guy to drop it & all that…
    but where are the witnesses who actually saw the weapon?

VIDEO OR TESTIMONY by all 4 student witnesses, w/independent verification that they are students at the B School OR IT DIDN’T HAPPEN.

or at least didn’t happen the way they claim it went down,
    if they wanted to close Haas for the day, they could have just closed it for the day w/o this fantasy bullshit

• Julia Kindt

We need to get rid of guns in this country. Full stop.

California has strict gun control laws. How well has that worked so far?

• Anonymous
  • Natalie

Reading the comments for this article has been HILARIOUS! You’ve all made my day.

• Brad

Does the Chancellor hate UCPD?  He is embarrasing this fine University with his idiotic statements. 

• Anonymous

As a Cal Alum who witnessed some of the Anti-Apartheid demonstrations of the1980′s, I applaud the students for getting involved in a cause that is a real and important issue.  As to the particular events of this story, time and good reporting may tell us the story.  The larger story is that there is huge problem with the levels of inequality, mass consumerism, and corporate greed in our society which are unsustainable and need to be addressed.  Don’t loose sight of these truths Occupy Cal…Don’t let the sideshow of police brutality and aberrant behavior change the subject.

Why is “inequality” in terms of income a problem in the first place? Or are you one of those people who believe the stupid, lazy and ignorant should make the same amount of money as those who are educated, motivated, and productive members of society?

• outoftouchbirgeneau

“”Now we are there, along with Kent State and Virginia Tech,” he said at the conference.”

I’m sorry, did I miss the part where the suspect killed 20+ students? So some guy walks on campus with a gun, is promptly shot by police, AND LIVES, and that equates to the tragic loss of life that was experienced by the family and friends of those lost at Virginia Tech?…Yeah, Fuck You Birgeneau! Douchebag.

• Guest

Actually we joined the club a couple of decades ago.  A gunman once held a group of students hostage in Henry’s Bar and Grill for a few days, until he was killed by a SWAT team.

• Stewart_m

Guns are not allowed on campus any brandishing of one signals the possibility of an active shooter- where it is well know that the suspect is shot and questions are asked later.

• Lester

If Berkeley students want lower tuition they should be protesting the bloated administrative head count and lavish pension benefits for employees.

Going to Sacramento is a waste of time. California is broke. It has high business taxes relative to other States and Countries. So businesses flee.

If students want lower taxes they need protest the inefficient administration and the fact that California is becoming more and more hostile to the private sector.

I am all for lower tuition but please, people, use your brains and figure out why the fees continue to escalate.

• Sara

It is true that there is still an enormous amount of administrative waste from duplication. Every department has their own fiefdom of administrative and information technology that they fight hand over fist from giving up. It’s like watching all those small town sheriffs in America buy bomb disposable robots and SWAT tanks from the homeland security slush fund…every mayor and dean wants their own little army. Instead of being innovative and collaborative; they just spend. Many staff members witness the ridiculous telecommuting practices, and it is true that it has been milked by freeloaders who attend school, provide childcare, and own side businesses. It is a minority, but it is so egregious that even staff are embarassed and disgusted by it. It creates a hostile work environment as well because onsite staff have to fear retribution for calling out the lucrative perk among coworkers. If OE solves these problems, it will save the 100 million they need to save without tuition hikes. It is not as sexy as blaming the chanchellor, but that’s what the protesters should be yelling about.

The pension fund is not the issue…it is mostly self-supporting, although, employees will have to contribute more of their funds because wall street tanked. California is not anymore anti-business than most states; business is booming in many sectors despite the jobless recovery. California is a state and does not a trillion dollars to divert from defense to education like the federal government. The bones are picked clean already, and protesters should be thinking of positive ways to increase taxation whether it is sales, VAT, income, capital gains, or modifying prop 13 so that the UC can be refunded.

I hate wall street moguls and horrible disparity between rich and poor with little middle class left as much as the students. I wish the students would indeed see the problem on a more local scale and see that the Chanchellor has been fighting the above problems much more than most before him.

• Lester

You need an economics course. The employees are NOT contributing to their pension. The employees are a pass through mechanism. It is tax payers that pay and the students.

Second, the State IS very unfriendly to business. Businesses small and large are relocating and expanding out of the State because of taxes and regulations. 

That is just a fact.

BTW, Wall Street is democrat. I agree is it is a cespit of crony capitalism that is killing this economy and economic prosperity and freedom.

• Sara

The employees contribute to their pension. Deductions are taken monthly. Maybe, you mistake another state pension plan. The UC plan is not the California state worker plan. If you mean that their pay comes from tuition and the state, then yes, they are “pass through.” You cannot run a university without faculty and staff. The key is demanding efficiency and integrity not the ludicrous libertarian idea that you can simply just fire every university employee. Stanford staff are “pass through” of tuition to their 403b, and it ends up in the same wall street stocks that the UC pension plan does. Very little money comes from the state anymore…the students (and parents) are the ones that should be angry…and they should demand efficiency and integrity. Societies only succeed if they invest in education; albeit, that doesn’t always have to mean a 4yr university degree.

Wall street is far from a “democrat” powerhouse. Both sides have some blame as both take lobbyist money, but there is clear evidence that the “republicans’ and tea party kin promoted the deregulation that allow the system to become so corrupt as to nearly destroy the world economy and middle class. They fight every “regulation” the “democrats” try to enact on it or have ever tried to enact on it.

• RebeccaR

I graduated in May.  Today I received 6 updates from U.C. Berkeley concerning the school shooting, yet many students on campus were left uninformed.  

Berkeley, please take better care of your students. 

• Pt788

the school never shut down! i was sitting in class all day after this happened

• OneDollarIsNotOneVote

Ummm, the Occupy folks started protesting police brutality at 2.10 pm PDT, according to the blog on this site – and the officers arrived at the scene of the shooting at 2.19 pm.  The odds of there being a connection between the two events seem rather large.

• Usha

To all those saying that the shooting is connected to Occupy Cal: there are much higher chances that this was some Tea Party wacko, who came to Berkeley to exercise his 2nd amendment rights and kill liberals. Glen Beck and God whispered in his ear that he needed to do that to save America, or something. 

You’re amazing, Usha. Just when I didn’t think you could top the stupidity of  the comment you made yesterday, you go ahead and prove me wrong.

• Anonymous

When I was demonstrating in the past, the government use to send up things in the sky to try and divert everyone’s attention from the things we were doing on the ground. With your generation, they like to stage shootings, etc. It is all well-planned diversions designed to take away from the possible beatings of protesters later today.

Do not fall for it…or they will say this shooting had something to do with the protesters which it does not.

These people are professional liars and more than willing to smear anything that gets in their way…like the truth.

• ArwenUndomniel

IT’S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!
      THE MEN IN BLACK ARE COMING IN THEIR INVISIBLE HELICOPTERS!!!
      I KNOW BECAUSE I CAN HEAR THEIR COMMUNICATIONS IN MY MIND BECAUSE OF THE ELECTRONICS THEY IMPLANTED IN MY TEETH WHEN THE ALIENS ABDUCTED ME BECAUSE I KNEW TOO MUCH!!!

• guest

obvious troll is obvious

[When I was demonstrating in the past, the government use to send
      up things in the sky to try and divert everyone's attention from the
      things we were doing on the ground.]

So how many bong hits did it take to come up with that gem?

• Guest

How do you know that this incident does NOT have something to do with the protesters???

• Anonymous

Sigh.  Sauron has gotten to her.

That or some bad shit…

• poop

lmao at trying to bring occupy cal into this

• Mark

can anybody tell me why the police shot the guy?

• Serious

Can you explain why the police wouldn’t shoot the guy holding a firearm in the vicinity of four students on a college campus? Sure, why not let the Vtek tragedy occur once more! What is the harm?

• Virgogirl93

Fuck the police

• Guest

They just saved 4 students from potentially being shot…

• Guest

Fuck Occupy Cal.

Fuck Occupy Oakland.

• Usha

fuck Guest

• Virgoguy69

no, FUCK you!

• Gehst

Grammar is forever, while lives aren’t.

• Confused

What happened to stun guns? 

• ALum 1

You fight a gun with a gun, not a long-distance taser if there was such a thing

• Anonymous

Interview the unidentified staff member and find out what s/he really saw. “Brandishing” a weapon requires specific movements, Look at the weapon and request that it be fingerprinted. Interview the students in the room.

• voldemort

you sound like a cop!

• Guncontrol

It’s a good thing those liberals have all but banned firearms in Berkeley.
    Otherwise someone might take one onto campus.

• http://profiles.google.com/aclancy547 Andrew Clancy

Considering the number of kids murdered on college campuses over the last decade by “lone gunmen”, I am not amused by your comment. I suppose the issue of timing is open to interpretation, but I’m pretty sure three hours is “too soon”.

You may want to wait until you know more about the situation before attempting to use it to support whatever agenda you may have.

• MarinGal

Considering one of the hottest songs out is Foster the People’s “Pumped Up Kicks,” with its lyrics:

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks

You’d better run, better run, outrun my gun

You’d better run, better run, faster than my bullet

Does it surprise me? Nope.
        Why glorify something so heinous?

• Host.

You realize Foster the People aren’t glorifying school shootings right?  I’m by no means claiming to “understand” their song, and I don’t want to be an asswipe by putting words into their mouths, but it seems much more likely to me that they’re trying to bring attention to the fact that kids who are prone to going off like that are ignored and mistreated by people around them before it gets to that point.  Society ignores their issues just like so many people groove to that song without ever hearing the lyrics.

• Your Name

So when does the lawsuit against UCPD get filed, the statment by Birgeneau get released, and will the suspect be given amnesty?

• Friendly Fire

undercover took a hit,
    oops

• Gaiasuhayla11

haha… yeah, it’s all so convenient isn’t it?

• kt

my reading of the article is that it is possible the only person shot was the suspect as he was reported to possibly have a weapon

• according

according according according

• Guest

What was that about “nonviolent” protesting again?

Looks like that “Second Amendment solutions” rhetoric from the Occupy protesters finally resulted in someone getting shot.

• Anonymous

“There is no reported link between the shooting and the Occupy Cal
      protest currently underway on campus and in the surrounding community.”

But hey, don’t let that stop you!

• Guest

The shooting at Occupy Oakland was also originally reported as not being involved with Occupy Oakland, until it was later discovered that both the shooter AND the victim were Occupy Oakland residents.

Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, Erica.

• Anonymous

I don’t “believe” anything one way or another, because all the facts aren’t in and it’s too early to tell.  Therefore (and this may strike you as odd) I refrain from baseless speculation and smears on the subject.

• LULZ

Go Occupy a job, hippie.

• Anonymous

That’s one of my very favorite “Stupid Criticisms of Occupy” because it works so well both ways.  If someone has a job, they should shut up and be grateful, and also they’re not “really” part of Occupy.  If someone doesn’t have a job, they’re a bum with no right to an opinion or (probably) a vote.  Either way you lose!  Awesome!

• LULZ

Either way you lose, because Occupy protesters are losers! Weird how that works, huh? 

• Mark

you have some serious issues man

• lolly caust

and yet here you are, unable to think about anything else.  it seems like they’ve done a bang up job of getting your attention

• Guest

To what end? Without an actionable plan to reach their goals, this is all nothing more than screaming into the void.

• lolly caust

having a discussion about democracy is a reasonable goal and hardly screaming into the void.  seems like a lot of people are paying attention, including you.  i’m not clear on why some of you find this to be so objectionable, but i’d be interested to hear any rational explanations that you’d care to put forth

• Guest

Either way you lose, because Trolls are losers! Weird how that works, huh? DAMN!

• Corey

Yeah, Erica! Learn to cast judgements from baseless assumptions!

• LULZ

Yeah, Corey! Every person posting as “Guest” is the same person! 

• Guest

1) that is highly speculative.
      2) if the person is from the mass of protesters, they do not reflect at all on the sentiments of the rest of the protesters as a group.  activist uber-liberals are just as appalled and upset by this incident as you are. 

• Friendly Fire

dat’s a TROLL

• LULZ

Prove that the lone gunman wasn’t involved with Occupy Cal!

• Friendly Fire

burden of proof is on you, the one making that claim
          MEGA-ULTRA-FAIL

• LULZ

No way bro, I’m following the Libtard playbook! Attack anyone who you disagree with with baseless speculation and lies! You know, like how all Tea Party protesters are “racists” and anyone on the internet who’s not a bleeding-edge liberal is a “paid Kotch Bros shill”!

• Usha

I think that LULZ and Fox News sent the gunman to kill as many people as he can. 

Now the burden on proof is on you. You’d better prove you have no connection to it, or Rick Perry will execute you. 

• LULZ

Why would I want to prove you wrong, bro? ZOG News is just a front for the Libtard media to placate stupid Americans into thinking that they have any choice when it comes time for elections.

“bleeding-edge”? Is that like “cutting-heart”? 

• ROTFLMAO

Liberals at the cutting-edge of the bleeding-hearts, dumbass.

• Anonymous

You need to do some follow-up on this story. Was the person who was shot a student? Did the person shot have a gun? Get the 911 tape of any telephone calls to the police. Talk to eye witnesses of the event. Go talk to the person in the Hyland Hospital. Do not accept the police version of the events.  This may have been a set up so the police can say something about the situation at the University later in time started with violence that the administration set up.

Be skeptical.

• Guest

You are aware that the suspect/police information you are talking about acquiring is nigh impossible given how recently the incident occurred, apart from possibly inaccurate witness source info? I’m sure Daily Cal is doing everything they can to get the info and I’m sure the police are making it difficult to get the reports and suspect information (primarily because they probably haven’t even talked to the suspect properly themselves yet!). Everyone expects news to be instant but it does actually recquire time and effort so be patient!!

• Guest

Are you serious? Did you bother to read how recently this event occurred boefre you typed this up? It was likely posted before the person even arrived at the hospital. The press conference about it just started a few minutes ago. Being skeptical is great and all, but news isn’t magical and instant, it takes time to obtain, verify, and write up. They’re giving the information that they know at this current time.

• Aet

Go fuck yourself, idiot.

• Guest

For the two guests who replied to ArwenUndomniel…I fail to see the relevance in your replies….in what way did she suggest that the follow-up needs to be done immediately? In what way did she suggest that news should be instant and magical? I think she is simply making the point that there needs to be some follow-up eventually on this issue and that the reporters should not be complacent with the story provided by the police. She is simply suggesting that the reporters need to be investigative and skeptical.

• Guest

Hi there, ArwenUndomniel!

• Hws

You are a moron (below idiot)

• lola

ArwenUndomniel is an idiot. last 2 guests are idiots, too. This JUST happened. haha.. 

[ArwenUndomniel is an idiot.]

Come on now, you’re not telling us anything we don’t know already…

• Carinaruizaguilar

YA’LL R TRIPPIN’

• lola

….

• Guest

Typical Cal “question everything let’s be paranoid the government wants to enslave us” speak. Why do you assume the police aren’t capable of reporting a relatively straightforward incident? 

• Kira

they most likely aren’t capable…

• joe

>> “Why do you assume the police aren’t capable of reporting a relatively straightforward incident? ”

You should ask Rodney King.  Maybe he can point you in the right direction.

• Hws_one

learn how to spell Highland

• guest

You’re more conspiracy theorist than skeptical

• Jijoj

either way, bringing a gun on campus is pretty idiotic. i’m with the police on this one. 

• cait

somehow I don’t think grammar is the most important part of this story

• ami

“who the victim’s identity” … grammar check please

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_CYT6EFCZ436MAH4UFDLTMCHHH4 shiningarmor

really though!!

• mac

its a press release you fuckin douche

• Caroline

Two people were shot and you honestly have the nerve to correct someone’s grammar?

• Guest

He’s probably a Haas student…

• ig

Piss off. 

• NO U

NO U

• Guest

Really? Just as ignorant as the first guy.

• ALum 1

No… Only 1 person – the suspect (the one who was holding a gun aside from the police officer who shot them), was shot.

• Caroline

I wrote that almost immediately after it happened and the details were unknown. Thank you again for proving my point that everyone is losing sight about what this all entails for everyone involved. Congratulations.

• Alex

Yeah! I’m with you. Grammar is ever more important to convey real news. If there are errors, then it’s no more credible that some blogger’s angry thoughts.

• Katakechicken

You’re a cuntrag

• Karatechicken

You’re a dicktowel

• JTang

shit just got real