Live Blog: Occupy Cal, Nov. 15 Day of Action

Carli Baker/Staff
Carli Baker/Staff

The Nov. 15 day of action comes hot on the heels of the Occupy Cal protest Nov. 9, when police used force — actions for which both the campus administration and UCPD have pledged review — to deal with protesters. Tuesday’s protest — which will see rallies, a march and the Occupy Cal general assembly before UC Berkeley Professor of Public Policy and former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich’s evening lecture — was intended to lead up to a large protest at the Wednesday UC Board of Regents meeting, but that meeting was canceled amid fears for public safety.

Jamie Applegate, Alisha Azevedo, Weiru Fang, Chloe Hunt, Sara Khan, Curan Mehra, Victoria Pardini, Aaida Samad, Anjuli Sastry, Amruta Trivedi, Oksana Yurovsky and Mihir Zaveri of The Daily Californian reporting from the field.

3:47 a.m.

A UCPD officer has warned Occupy Cal protesters again that setting up tents and lodging on UC property is unlawful. Again, no official dispersal order given.

2:31 a.m.

The assembly has decided to use linking arms as their primary tactic to protect the encampment in the event of a police raid, rather than sitting in the tents. The assembly also voted to take down some tents in order to make the encampment smaller.

2:27 a.m.

Protesters are talking tactics in the event police raid the encampment. Some protesters are advocating reducing the number of pitched tents to “what (demonstrators) can actually defend,” while others argue that the demonstrators are “here for visibility, so what is wrong with getting arrested? Let’s get arrested and released and do it again.”

Another speaker added: “Even if there is a raid, we will win the political war. We have just gotten the endorsement of Robert Reich and all the other speakers.”

Other protesters are concerned that there are not enough activists present to defend the tents.

1:44 a.m.

The general assembly is meeting to discuss what to do if police raid the encampment tonight. One demonstrator said it is not likely because “the administration is embarrassed by what happened last Wednesday.”

Another protester said, “It is important to know that whatever happens tonight is much bigger than Berkeley … We have shown today that we can reoccupy.”

The assembly has started a forum to educate protesters about what they should do if they are arrested.

1:22 a.m.

According to UCPD Lt. Eric Tejada, while UCPD is not required to give a dispersal order prior to raiding the encampment, the police department would “probably do so.”

1:15 a.m.

A UCPD officer has come down to the encampment on the steps of Sproul Hall and reminded demonstrators that the encampments are unlawful. However, the officer did not give an official dispersal order.

12:45 a.m.

UCPD Chief Mitch Celaya said that while police are still trying to determine the appropriate course of action for the Occupy Cal demonstration, he stated that “the Chancellor was, I thought, pretty clear on the encampment issue.”

12:00 a.m.

The dance party continues on Sproul Plaza as the Campanile bells chime midnight. Bubbles float across the Sproul steps and drum beats echo off the buildings lining the plaza.

Derek Remsburg/Staff

11:13 p.m.

Listen to a conversation with Daniel Ellsberg — the former government official who leaked the Pentagon Papers — for his thoughts on Occupy Cal:

Daniel Ellsberg Speaks About the Occupy Movement by Anyaviolet

11:10 p.m.

According to UCPD Lt. Alex Yao, the police department is still formulating its plan handle the protest for the night and is working with the administration to devise a strategy.

10:59 p.m.

Demonstrators are playing music and dancing in front of Sproul Hall as a festive mood grips the plaza. At least 20 tents are in the plaza.

10:06 p.m.

Demonstrators have decided to obey a city ordinance and refrain from playing amplified music.

10:02 p.m.

Freshman Dilip Ravindran, who has set up a tent, said he was a lot more worried at the Occupy Cal protest last Wednesday than at the rally tonight.

“There are a lot more people here this time and no riot police,” he said.

9:55 p.m.

Freshman Gregory Bell — camping in Sproul Plaza in a tent he received from his parents — said he fears police brutality later tonight.

“(Police brutality) is not my doing, that is their doing,” he said. “I’m staying until they kick us out.”

9:49 p.m.

Activists have begun playing music and blowing bubbles and have moved the tents onto the Savio steps.

Additionally, listen to the audio of Reich’s speech below:

9:46 p.m.

Listen to Lynne Hollander introducing the Mario Savio lecture, delivered by UC Berkeley Professor of Public Policy and former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich:

9:42 p.m.

There are about six tents in Sproul Plaza at the moment, but more are said to be on the way.

9:37 p.m.

With large numbers of people leaving Sproul Plaza, the Occupy Cal encampment is set to begin.

9:33 p.m.

Reich’s speech continued: “All of you, right now, understand intuitively that if we allow America to continue in the way it is going … that the bullies would be in charge. You understand how important it is to fight the bullies, to have a voice. I want to thank each and every one of you for what you are doing.”

And Reich’s speech concludes to enormous applause, which gives way eventually to chants of, “Whose university? Our university!”

9:30 p.m.

Reich’s speech continued: “The days of apathy are over, folks. Once this has begun it cannot be stopped and will not be stopped.”

9:27 p.m.

Thousands and thousands of UC Berkeley students, faculty, staff and community members have come out for his speech.

Sean Goebel/Staff

Reich’s speech continued: “I want to tell you something and that is how proud I am to be a member of this wonderful community. Berkeley has for years dedicated itself to the principles of free expression … You must also feel in your gut that the occupy movement are ways in which people are beginning to respond to the crisis of our democracy.”

9:26 p.m.

Reich’s speech continued: “Over the last three decades, this economy has doubled in size but most Americans have not seen this gain.”

9:24 p.m.

Reich’s speech continued: ‘The fundamental problem is that we are losing equal opportunity in America. We are losing the moral stone upon which this system and our country are built.”

9:20 p.m.

Reich’s speech continued: “I will believe that corporations are people when Georgia and Texas execute them … The 1st amendment right to free speech is not always convenient. It becomes doubly important that we are willing to pay the price for free speech or the price for a democratic system of government. It is doubly important that our democracy give people the ability to speak up about what needs to be done.”

9:16 p.m.

UC Berkeley Professor of Public Policy and former U.S. Secretary of Labor Robert Reich has come on stage. His first words: “Forty-seven years ago we were graced with the eloquence and power of Mario Savio’s words from these steps. These words continue to live on. The sentiments Mario Savio expressed 47 years ago are as relevant now as they were then.”

Derek Remsburg/Staff

9:09 p.m.

The third recipient of the young activist award, Josh Healy, begins his speech with rousing words to the masses in Sproul Plaza: “Berkeley, you look fucking beautiful.”

8:31 p.m.

The Mario Savio lecture portion of the evening has begun, beginning with the recitation of excerpts of Savio’s speeches, including his famous 1964 speech on the steps of Sproul Hall prior to occupying the building.

8:18 p.m.

The general assembly has voted to establish an encampment, which will begin with tents in the middle of the crowd in Sproul Plaza, which has now swelled to several thousand people. The vote passed with an overwhelming majority, with over 88.5 percent of participants voting in favor of setting up tents.

“Without tents, this assembly is a mere show,” said activist and graduate student instructor Amanda Armstrong.

8:10 p.m.

Dr. Ron Lorentz, a 1972 Cal graduate who led an occupation of California Hall in late May and early June of 1972, sees parallels between the Occupy Cal movement and the anti-war and People’s Park movements of the late 60s and early 70s.

“I’ve been waiting for 40 years for something like this to happen on the Berkeley campus,” he said. “This is very similar in terms of the energy and the composition of students and faculty an workers against the administration.”

But Lorentz said the current movement is more disciplined in the way speeches are made and the audience responds.

Robert Reich’s speech will be moved to 8:30 p.m.

8:03 p.m.

As the time approaches for votes to be counted on the encampment and tent issue, Lee Hetelson, a 1996 Cal grad, said that students using public safety as an argument against encampments “makes them sound like the politicians who talk about public safety.

“I support the tents not because they’re fundamental to the movement, but because it’s what got our movement started.”

7:38 p.m.

The general assembly is still debating the encampment and tent issue.

“I’m in support of students camping out here,” said Zac Taylor, a 2010 graduate with a degree in urban studies. “I’m frustrated as an alum with regards to the administration’s response to protesters. Especially the police response.”

Zachary Manfredi, a graduate student in the department of rhetoric and a main announcer at the assembly, said activists should not be able to assume that they will be able to camp or establish an encampment.

7:31 p.m.

Listen to an interview with sophomore Dee Mauricio about her experience with Occupy Cal:

Dee Mauricio, 2nd Year Speaks About Experience with Occupy Cal by Anyaviolet

7:30 p.m.

Participants are talking about encampments in their small groups.

“It has to be clear what happens next, where we are going and what our strategies are,” said one activist. “Tents are a vehicle, but we need to keep our eyes on the prize.”

Carli Baker/Staff

7:20 p.m.

Talk at the general assembly has now turned to tents and a potential encampment. Rob Tidmore, a landscape architecture graduate student, carried one past UCPD officers on the way to Sproul Plaza and said he was “a little bit nervous that we would get it confiscated before we reached the plaza.”

Tidmore said he will respect the majority opinion, whatever the outcome.

7:15 p.m.

A group of volunteer medics is on campus, prepared for potential conflict between protesters and police. Supplied with Maalox and water, they are prepared to tackle severe situations including the use of tear gas and pepper spray and to treat more basic needs such as dehydration. Katie Rapp, who volunteered after seeing people injured at last week’s Occupy Cal protest, said that if a situation such as last week’s arose again she “wanted to know how to help someone.”

“They told us how to keep people calm and how to pick them up and get them out of a dangerous situation,” she said. “I hope we don’t have use (our training).”

7:05 p.m.

The second proposal  presented to the general assembly – to send a letter to the UC Regents, CSU Trustees, state government officials and education administrators — passes the assembly with 92 percent of the vote. 1,055 votes approved the proposal while 82 votes went against the proposal.

Carli Baker/Staff

6:45 p.m.

The activists attending the Occupy Cal general assembly span generations, the older acting on behalf of the younger.

“This is not for me,” said Jeani Schumacher, a 47 year-old senior with a five year-old son. “This is for my five year-old because I’ll make it through but will he?”

6:32 p.m.

The proposal to have state officials and education administrators come to campus passes with 84 percent, or 1,065 approving votes.

Nicholas Calderon, who had never attended a general assembly meeting before tonight, said the voting process “is great for how large the crowd is.” He plans on participating in more assemblies in the future.

Carli Baker/Staff

6:22 p.m.

Beth Sager, an activist who has been to both Occupy Oakland and Occupy Berkeley, said her eight year old son Zan spurred her and her partner to attend Occupy Cal, where she found herself at odds with the proposal to bring state and higher education officials to campus.

“Initially I was for it,” Sager said, who said she thought the potential encampment was a good idea. “But after hearing the speakers I thought it was just an opportunity for them to spread more propaganda.”

6:18 p.m.

The assembly is currently counting votes on the first proposal, with an activist circulating between groups to make sure the votes are counted.

“This movement is evolving and it’s finally at the stage where it can be recognized as a real movement,” said senior Harry Cooper, a cognitive science and Arabic major.

6:03 p.m.

Several activists have expressed their excitement surrounding the burgeoning Occupy Cal movement, and its potential to affect change.

“I’m hopeful that it will be a safe night and that we will see change,” said Khalid Kadir, lecturer in the department of international and area studies. “I’m disappointed that the administration has been hiding from the problem.”

Other activists have said they feel the same enthusiasm, but the pace of the assembly is dragging.

“I’m excited to be a part of this but I think it is a little slow,” said Kristin George, a third year sociology graduate student who is attending her first general assembly.

5:55 p.m.

The first proposal has been presented to the general assembly. Occupy Cal, if it adopts the proposal, would seek to hold a forum on campus with UC President Mark Yudof, UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau and state Gov. Jerry Brown.

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

5:53 p.m.

Newcomers to the occupy movement’s brand of decision making are learning the ropes at Occupy Cal’s general assembly.

“This kind of direct democracy is not what we see in a lot of the country,” said senior Miles Ten Brinke, a society and environment major.

Students are also learning occupy’s tools of decision making.

“We are learning hot to communicate again using the human microphone,” said junior Ambrosia Krinsky.

Listen to an interview with United Auto Worker Local 2865’s Financial Secretary Charlie Eaton below:

Charlie Eaton, Financial Secretary UAW Local 2865 by Anyaviolet

5:46 p.m.

In one of the small groups, activists discuss issue of of student debt and student loans.

Read a copy of the letter to state government officials and education administrators — including UC and CSU officials — that will be proposed to the general assembly for adoption tonight.

5:36 p.m.

The crowd is now breaking into groups of 20 to get to know each other for about 10 minutes.

5:32 p.m.

An announcement from Chancellor Robert Birgeneau was made at the assembly:

“We all share the stress and anger at the state of California’s divestment in higher education. In the spirit of today, I am calling on the political leadership in Sacramento to come to campus and engage with me and student representatives.”

Read the full text of an email Birgeneau sent to campus here.

5:30 p.m.

Given the number of general assembly attendees tonight, organizers have suggested modifying the voting process. The assembly will break into groups of 20, which will appoint one member to raise his or her hand to ensure the group’s vote is counted.

“We’ve prepared much more for this general assembly,” said activist Amanda Armstrong. “We imagined the crowd might be this large.”

5:18 p.m.

The general assembly is now listening to a reading of Mario Savio’s famed 1964 Free Speech Movement speech, which was also delivered on the steps of Sproul Hall.

5:13 p.m.

A speaker at the general assembly express the hope that Occupy Cal will have a general assembly daily at 6 p.m. “indefinitely.” Additionally, the speaker announced that buses for San Francisco — where demonstrators will protest the UC Regents and the banks with which they are associated — will leave from Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.

5:00 p.m.

The Occupy Cal general assembly has begun on Sproul Plaza with announcements. BAMN has announced the lawsuit it plans to file against the campus — stemming from the Occupy Cal protest on Wednsday — and Occupy Oakland activists, who recently arrived from Oakland, announced a Saturday march.

Rashad Sisemore/Staff

4:47 p.m.

UC Berkeley student Marco Amaral asks protesters on steps to sit, get to know each other before 5 pm general assembly. It appears that there are a little over one thousand people in attendance.

4:41 p.m.

A group from Occupy Oakland has now also joined protestors on Sproul. Thousands now gather there.

Rashad Sisemore/Staff

4:32 p.m.

Group of protestors has now joined those who remained at Sproul Plaza. An cheer can be heard from the crowd as those marching make their way through Sather Gate.

Rashad Sisemore/Staff

4:26 p.m.

Sather Tower is in sight for Occupy Oakland protestors who are approaching campus to join demonstrations here.

Back on Sproul Plaza, some students have their laptops out. They appear to be doing homework less than one hour before the scheduled general assembly meeting.

4:19 p.m.

Protesters veer from Tolman Hall, past Giannini Hall. It is unclear where the group is heading.

Anna Vignet/Senior Staff

4:14 p.m.

Protestors have now returned to campus and are now past Mulford Hall.

4:13 p.m.

“I think Occupy Cal is much younger. It’s much headier, ” said UC Berkeley alumnus Vita McDommel, who had stopped by Occupy Cal this morning before joining the Occupy Oakland march. “But I think the issues are definitely connected.”

Anna Vignet/Senior Staff

3:46 p.m.

Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates discusses ongoing march with bystander near city hall.

As the demonstrators approach Berkeley High School, its students look on.

Ashley Chen/Staff

3:32 p.m.

The group of protesters are returning to Berkeley High School. Their chants continue.

Back on Sproul Plaza, one protester is playing the piano while others are reading books from library bookshelf. Incense fills the air.

3:24 p.m.

Demonstrators stop their march briefly outside of Berkeley Police Department. They chant: “You are the 99%.”

Ashley Chen/Staff

3:17 p.m.

Students chant “Banks got bailed out we got sold out” in front of Berkeley High School.

Ashley Chen/Staff

2:54 p.m.

The shooting at the school of business has been confirmed. Please refer to this story for further information on the shooting. This live blog will focus solely on the day of action.

2:38 p.m.

The Haas School of Business building is being evacuated. The reason for this is unclear as of yet. We will update with information as soon as we have it.

2:25 p.m.

The rally has started marching towards Bancroft Way and Telegraph Avenue, chanting, “Whose university? Our university!”

Shirin Ghaffary/Staff

2:10 p.m.

The rally has turned its focus towards speakers talking about police violence.

Paul Goodwin, a second-year student at UC Berkeley School of Law, said he is protesting in direct response to the police action at last week’s Occupy Cal protest.

“I am personally protesting police brutality against protestors,” he said. “In particular, I am protesting (Chancellor Robert) Birgeneau’s response claiming linking arms was not not non-violence.”

1:46 p.m.

Senior Andrew Elkhoury is participating in the protest today in support of his friends who participated in last week’s Occupy Cal demonstration.

“I am here in solidarity with my friends who were beaten last week at the protest,” he said. “I am also here to protest against the privatization of the UC.”

1:43 p.m.

At the Sociologists for Public Education teach-out, graduate student Barry Eidlin said now is a special opportunity for the labor movement.

“This 99 percent identity has created a space for labor and the left to unite again,” he said. “There’s a revitalization of labor stemming from the occupy movement.”

1:32 p.m.

Charlie Eaton, financial secretary for United Auto Workers Local 2865 — a union that represents graduate student workers across the UC system — said he is “excited” about the day’s events.

“There are great teach-outs to talk about the diverse ways we are feeling the violence of the 1 percent against the rest of us,” he said.

Read this for a picture of who exactly constitutes the 1 percent at UC Berkeley and the UC Office of the President.

1:25 p.m.

At a teach-out on the prison industrial complex and the crisis in California seeks to educate listeners on the student debt bubble, which the teacher says is about to burst.

“The average student after obtaining a bachelors degree is indebted $24,000 to $25,000,” the teacher said.

— Gracie Malley/Staff

1:12 p.m.

The Cal Gospel Choir sang during the rally. Listen to their performance below:

Cal Gospel Choir at Occupy Cal at UC Berkeley by The Daily Californian

Additionally, a Daily Californian reporter spoke with the UC Berkeley senior Daniele Violi about the “Regentasaurus.”

Cal Senior Daniele Violi Talking About The Regentasaurus ( Co Architect- Henry Goldstone) at Occupy Cal, UC Berkeley by The Daily Californian

1:06 p.m.

An undergraduate petition is circulating through the crowd demanding campus Chancellor Robert Birgeneau’s resignation. It would require 1,000 signatures before it could go to the ASUC spring election as a ballot measure.

“I was here on Nov. 9 and I saw what happened,” said William Skewes-Cox. “I was here in Sept. 2009. After that the (police review board) came out with their report condemning the use of force on protesters but look where we are now. I am worried about future students.”

Meanwhile, graduate student instructor Jocelyn Rodal — who plans on joining the rally and general assembly afterwards — is holding a sign bearing the words, “Oops, didn’t see the broken ribs. I was in Tokyo.”

12:50 p.m.

A group of about 100 UC Berkeley School of Law students have walked from the school to Sproul Plaza.

“We are here in solidarity with the movement,” said third-year student Seph Peta.

12:38 p.m.

“It’s really great that people are coming out,” said Nikolas Soelter. “I just hope people aren’t just here to see but to actually participate. This is engaging a lot more issues…it’s more than just budget cuts.”

12:34 p.m.

People are carrying signs with slogans that include “Beat Budget Cuts, Not Students,” “Tuition Free UC,” “The Regents are the 1%” and “Shame.”

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

12:30 p.m.

The choir continues to sing.

Another convergence has been set for 2 p.m. at Sproul Hall. A faculty member, staff member and student will be presenting in response to the violence. The General Assembly meeting is scheduled for 5 p.m.

12:24 p.m.

A concert is now being held on Sproul Hall steps. There is a gospel choir performing, along with piano accompaniment.

12:16 p.m.

“Find a teach out and go learn,” said Ricardo Gomez at the rally.

12:10 p.m.

“What we see today and what we feel today is our creative power,” said Amanda Armstrong. “This is the return of the repressed, and it is beautiful.”

12:05 p.m.

UC Berkeley students Marco Amaral, Amanda Armstrong and Ricardo Gomez all lined up to speak soon at the noontime rally in Sproul.

12:03 p.m.

Speaker on Sproul steps declares, “Welcome to the open university.”

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

12:01 p.m. 

Hundreds of people gathered in Upper Sproul and crowded onto Sproul steps. Rally will begin soon.

12:00 p.m.

Demonstrators march through Sather Gate, chanting and holding signs.

11:55 a.m.

Protesters crowding onto Sproul steps begin to chant, “hey hey ho ho police violence has got to go.”

Gracie Malley/Staff

11:52 a.m.

“This is the calm before the storm,” said UC Berkeley sophomore Skyler Hogan-Vansickle in regards to this morning’s events.

11:40 a.m.

About 50 people gather around UC Berkeley professor of linguistics George Lakoff, who is sitting on a bench in Upper Sproul. Democracy is at its worse in California right now, he says, “one way to (fix that) is to vote out enough Republicans.”

11:35 a.m.

Crowd begins to form in Sproul Plaza as people wait for the 12 p.m. rally to begin.

11:21 a.m.

Activist group BAMN is asking for people to step forward if they saw anyone beaten or arrested last week.

11:15 a.m.

According to CalSERVE Senator Andrew Albright, three buses have been rented to take 150 people to Sacramento Wednesday. He added that External Affairs Vice President Joey Freeman will send out a campuswide email sometime today.

11:00 a.m.

About 140 people on Sproul Plaza as clock strikes 11.

10:55 a.m.

A library bookshelf has been set up on Sproul Plaza.

“We are trying to make this an open university and this was a way to facilitate that,” said senior Nick Lake. “We asked the (Occupy Cal) general assembly for each person to bring one book to have a carefully curated library.”

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

10:51 a.m.

Ken Kabb, who has been passing out leaflets on the plaza, said activism in itself is part of the solution to the problems facing society today:

“When people (participate) you see the system react in ugly ways — it’s because the system doesn’t know how to deal with us. The problem is the system. This is being attacked 1,000 different ways. Each of these teach-outs takes a different angle at it,” referencing the schedule of events for the day.

10:42 a.m.

Katie Cantrell, a 2009 UC Berkeley graduate teaching a lecture on Sproul Plaza on the corporate control of the U.S. food system, lauded activists’ enthusiasm.

“I thought there might be more people, but people are enthusiastic about what is going on,” she said.

10:37 a.m.

At an LGBT discussion, junior Kyle Temple spoke about the irony he sees of protesting on campus:

“Berkeley has been a dream for me. I wanted to be liberal, I wanted to protest. But it feels weird being here and wanting to protest and then protesting the administration who let me in.”

10:30 a.m.

As the outdoor room on the Sproul steps grows, freshman Sara Kei said activists are planning on making it into a makeshift home of sorts.

“The idea is to make this place more like a home,” she said. “This is our space — make it livable.”

10:15 a.m.

Alex Kennedy and Edward Median, two students who started the Occupy Phoenix movement, have come to Cal for the day. They drove the 7 hours from Arizona and plan on being on the front line against the police.

“This is where the real stuff is happening,” they said.

10: 11 a.m.

Nilomi Shah, a student in an Art 14 class which has brought sculptures to the protest on the plaza, said her class decided to use their artwork as a way to contribute to the demonstration.

“(The sculptures) are based on what we’re passionate about,” she said.

Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

10:09 a.m.

Art students have brought sculptures out to the Sproul steps to add to the outdoor education area that has been set up.

“We’re just trying to show that this place is historically known for (free speech),” said Marika Hirsch. “We’re not crazy.”

Junior Cecily Gardner, who participated in the Nov. 9 Occupy Cal protest, and has come to support the open university educational space for today’s protest.

“Education should be widely available for anyone and everyone who wants it,” she said. “But unfortunately, it is not.”

In the spirit of combining education and activism, freshman Maura Chen, said her French 3 section had read an article — in French, naturally — that related to the occupy movement.

9:56 a.m.

Approximately 100 people are already on Sproul Plaza, along with two pianos and the outdoor room activists have set up.

[/caption]9:44 a.m.

Furniture, rugs, a piano and some bookshelves have been moved out onto the Sproul Hall steps.

“It’s more hospitable and comforting,” said freshman Shawndeez Jadali. “It looks more welcoming. We can’t have tents and we’re cooperating. We have lots of art sculptures and possibly a teepee coming soon.”

8:40 a.m.

Three teach-outs are in progress in the plaza, while other teach-outs are in front of Dwinelle and Wheeler Halls. Classes include Sociology 5, Sociology 1, Spanish 1 and a German section.

8:22 a.m.

The first teach-outs have begun on Sproul Plaza, kicking off the day of action.

• TommyNow

These are the facts. Most of the money UC gets comes from taxpayers and tuition. If the students are protesting higher tuition they should be protesting:

The bloat in administration – up over 200%.

The inability to keep wages low. How can one support lower tuition but higher costs including union wages and benefits.

The lavish pension benefits and retirement programs. You, students and the taxpayers, are paying 100% of this – do be fooled by mechanism of “employees are paying some of their retirement.” That is a fiction. You the student and me the taxpayer are paying it ALL.

The horrible business climate in California that makes it easier and less expensive to expand business and re-locate them in other States – at the margin California is become less business friendly.

There is only so much money to go around and the students should be demanding this money is spent on educational programs that benefit them in the future (economically and otherwise).

• alumnus

So who thinks the police will make some sort of move tonight?  I wager they’re actually gonna leave it alone.  

• Specter

If the Chancellor and his thugs use force on the people tonight, there will be no excuses for their actions. He should prepare for a total university shut down for the rest of the semester.

• Guess

If UC policy states that no tents are allowed on campus but the administration is not enforcing the policy, then tomorrow I am riding my bicycle in the Dismount Zone during the hours of 8am-6pm since there is no longer any respect for UC policy. Also if you want to bring alcohol on campus tomorrow please do so. The UCB administration is no longer enforcing its policies. And lets get rid of the UCDP since there is no need for it on campus, if another man decide to come in campus with a gun…

• Guess

If UC policy states that tents are not allow in campus but the administration doesn’t do something to stop it then that means that tomorrow I can ride my bicycle in the Dismount Zone during the hours 8am-6pm since there is no longer respect for policies in this campus. If you want to bring alcohol to school tomorrow please do so. The administration has decide it will no longer enforces its policies. Why don’t we get rid of UCPD there is not need for it. And if another man decides to walk into campus with a gun….

• Paul Goodwin

Hello, I am Paul Goodwin from the 2:10pm post.  I was misquoted.  My sign said “Law Students Protesting Not Not Non-Violently”, but I told the Daily Californian reporter that I was protesting Birgeneau’s claim that linking arms was “not non-violent”!

• Jurassic

…50 min since last update?

• Dd

Robert Reich makes 216k/year

• Jack B

Reich is also going to line his pockets with a rich UC pension, in addition to his federal pension. He is a master of manipulation.

• http://radar.oreilly.com/2007/09/local-recycle-reuse-hits-a-bur.html The Sharkey

And this is good… how? People’s Park has been a disaster.
    It was founded on noble ideals that in practice turned out to be completely misguided, and it’s hard to find anyone who can look at it today and pretend that it’s anything other than a festering pit of blight.

Robert Reich is a political hack who is trying to co-opt a populist movement for personal gain. He works with and supports Democratic politicians who are complicit in all the things the Occupy movement stands against. He whines about the doctrine of corporate personhood, but what did he ever do to repeal it when he was working in the Ford, Carter, or Clinton administrations?

Why are protests against tuition hikes in the UC system being held in Downtown Oakland and at UC Berkeley, instead of in Sacramento where the people who are responsible for those tuition hikes live and work? What do these protesters truly hope to accomplish when they have no solutions or plans for change, only complaints?

In the end everyone in that plaza will vote for Obama because they see him as “the lesser of two evils” even though he’s broken most of his campaign promises, and turned out to be the same or worse than Bush on every major issue. The status quo will be maintained, cash-strapped cities and schools will be forced to pay millions of dollars to clean up after this electoral temper tantrum, and nothing will change.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[Before you tear down the diversity that serves universities and makes education great]

How does allowing students who are demonstrably unqualified to make it into a college on their own academic or intellectual merits make a university “great”, especially when it results in watering down the standards for everyone else? The idea of a public college education as an “investment” revolves around the idea that the graduates of those colleges will go on to lead lives as adult taxpayers and effectively pay back the State for the cost of that education, making the system sustainable. Instead, Cal is turning away perfectly qualified applicants who have what it takes to make and keep this commitment, in order to bring in people who not only require more support in terms of remedial education, but have a higher incidence of dropping out, resulting in a negative investment on the part of the state. Even those who manage to graduate do so by pursuing dumbed-down or otherwise economically worthless courses of study, and will have enough trouble paying back their own student loans, much less earn enough income in the future to pay more in taxes than they consume in social spending themselves. So-called “diversity” (in reality a code word for Affirmative Action, which is technically illegal per Prop 209) does NOT make Cal “great’, at least from a fiscal standpoint. If anything, it’s making it worse…

[Why should I go to school to make someone else rich(er).]

With that type of zero-sum thinking, Juanfer, no wonder you will never get ahead
    in life. Employers specifically hire people so you can create more wealth for them (and get paid some of that wealth in return). That’s why my employer hired me – I’m working on developing new products that they hope with provide the company with a shitload of sales and profits (for which I have the opportunity to bump my salary well into the 6-figure range and get in early on the IPO). If you provide no value to anyone, then you’re simply not worth hiring. Get a clue before you become another bitter 60-something hippie, like the ones walking around on Telegraph wearing their silly “F-ck the Police” T-shirts with what’s left of their thinning gray hair pulled back in ponytails…

[I said I have never met someone with negative retrospect on their liberal arts education.

You either lead a very sheltered life, or haven’t been around long. I have worked around plenty of disillusioned, bitter, and psychologically defeated people who were conned into thinking that the world would beat a path to their door merely by graduating from college, regardless of how lightweight or superficial their major. Many of these people also had a sense of entitlement that clouded their understanding that they would have to somehow “pay their dues” and produce something of value in the workforce. Not that being a science or engineering grad makes you golden either, but at least those individuals have acquired some economically useful skills and knowledge along the way, and tend to have a better understanding and willingness to put up with a couple of years of low-paying work out of college with an eye on the bigger prize down the road. I can’t tell you how many English or Multi-Culti Studies grads I have met who are tending bar, waiting tables, working retail counters and the like, pissing and moaning about how life’s unfair because they aren’t making enough to get ahead. What did they expect when they learned little or nothing in the way of useful skills in the first place?

• Guest

bag em and gag em !

• Bear

DailyCal, Thank you so much for your coverage today. You have been quick, fairly free of bias, and more factually correct than other news sources. I’m impressed.

• urmi

I just want to thank you, dailycal.org and the ten reporters out in the field, for letting me keep up with the goings-on throughout the day.  The frequent, short updates and sporadic photographs are efficient and have been making me feel like I’m right there in Berkeley, where I wish I could be.  

I’m a Cal alumnus (’07) with a degree in English and currently pursuing a PhD in English on the east coast.  I mention this to explain both why I’m not in Berkeley at the moment and why I’m a little disturbed by some of the comment threads below about English majors.  It’s very misguided, or at least very narrow-minded, to say that a degree is “useless” if it has a low likelihood of bringing you a high-paying job.  Many English majors may end up  working (or having to work) at jobs that do not explicitly employ their knowledge of literature or their skills for literary analysis, but it’s hard to imagine that the abilities to think and articulate — as well as a mental access to a variety of thinkers — are completely absent from their daily life, their work, and their interactions with others.  The world is a richer, better place for people who can appreciate the value of art; it’s easy to say there isn’t a lucrative market for such people (which, given how much people still enjoy reading, listening to music, going to the theater and the movies, etc. is hard to believe), but even if this were true, most of us should know that money isn’t happiness.  Majoring in English may not make you a billionaire, but it should still (and almost always does) give you a job (even slightly) above the poverty line, and — this is the point — the corresponding income should be enough to help you pay off your student debt within a reasonable amount of time.

• http://anonymoustroll.myopenid.com/ anonymous

That’s why we have the giant student loan bubble. You’re doing people a great disservice by misinforming them thusly.

• urmi

What I meant, in saying that “the corresponding income *should* be enough to help you pay off your student debt within a reasonable amount of time,” is that *ethically* this should be the case, even though *factually* it is not, because tuition is so high.  That’s why I’m against tuition increases and supporting the protestors, advocates, and administrators who are against it as well.

Why should it? Because your wishes override basic economics and negate the problem of scarcity?

The nice thing about the free market is that if you think you can offer a quality education at a cheaper price, you can go and start your own university that does that.

• Anonymous

Look, more power to you, but we’re simply saying if a recent graduate with a degree in English  cannot use her communication and analytical skills to get a good job and then joins OWS to complain about the big bank that lent her the money to pursue a degree of her choice, then that smacks of egotism and selfishness bordering on Maoism.  

• Jackson J

Does anyone know if Robert Reich’s speech will be live-feeding somewhere? I’d really like to catch it but I can’t make it down to Sproul.

• Newday

Thank you to the gospel singers, especially the young woman, who sang that beautiful gospel song with such strength and compassion, it made me weep.   The song was inspirational and uplifting.

• Jschulte

I googled Berkeley newspaper just so I could read some of the idiocy that passes for enlightened speech these days. I have not been disappointed. I have a GED and I’ve EARNED over a two million dollars so far this year. Some of you on here are seriously pathetic.

• Observer

Gunshots fired in Haas

• 8679

So many trolls in this thread…

• Try To Think

People who disagree with you are not trolls.

They are people who disagree with you.

• Guest

Great. Now I have to walk around couches, pianos and tee pees on my way to class AND avoid getting handed flyers AT THE SAME TIME.

• What’s New? Nothing

“Find a teach out and go learn,” said Ricardo Gomez at the rally.  “But remember you have failed the rally if you don’t get arrested, so please confront a cop and get yourself tossed in jail so I can have someone to talk to tonite.”

• Guest

Lakoff is a political hack

• Super Cereal

His only goal in all this seems to be a burning desire to reverse the democratic process and get Prop. 13 repealed. Pathetic.

I’m all for modifying Prop. 13 so that it only applies to owner-occupied homes and does not apply to corporate holdings, but completely repealing Prop. 13 would be a disaster.

I couldn’t agree more. It is amazing how few people seem to be able to make this distinction.

• What’s New? Nothing

11:21 a.m.

Activist group BAMN is asking for people to step forward if they saw anyone beaten or arrested last week.  But it’s not that important because they will fabricate witnesses if necessary — they’ll just get some of their high school minions to lie.

• Anonymous

You’re full of it.

• Super Cereal

What a well-reasoned and intelligent response. Are you a Rhetoric major? You should consider  joining the Cal Debate Team!

/sarcasm

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_EBVYE63DXJIWSZXTW2UZZ6MAZA Juanfer

What a bunch of losers.

• Try To Think

You’re right. The Occupy Cal protesters are a bunch of losers who can’t seem to figure out that their anger should be directed at Sacramento instead of Sproul Hall.

How did such dopes get into Cal in the first place? Are they all JC transfers?

This JC transfer who spent time in the military before returning to college (and eventually transferring ) recognized the game these so-called “activists” play the first semester I attended Cal…

• Super Cereal

Democracy is at its worse in California right now, he says, “one way to (fix that) is to vote our enough Republicans.”

But Democrats are the ones who have been running the show for so long, and who have allowed things to get as bad as they are right now.

• Anonymous

And you think Arnie was a Dem?  How quickly some forget

• Super Cereal

… and Arnie did a better job than the Dem before him, and the Dem after him. 

• Dariana Szykier

I am a returning student that supported my family from 18 to 28 and only now am I getting a chance to further my education to improve my chances of re-entering the work force after being laid off. My taxes while I worked contributed to the state educational system, so before anyone starts or continues to making generalized claims that the universities are filled with spoiled trust fund babies or kids who have never held a job in their lives should choose your words carefully.

There are many returning students, and a large number of them are older than 25. At Cal in particular the middle class population is on the decline because of fee increases and those students really only qualify for loans and not grants or scholarships to help lighten the burden of tuition hikes. I personally know several students who work 40+ hours a week and are full time students.

Stop making generalized assertions that you know who the student populations are on the campuses across this state. The diversity socially, economically, and racially runs deep. This is a complex protest and it is not just a bunch of whining students who don’t know what hardship is.

Yes times have changed and the 18 year old students entering college may be very “green” to how the world works, but it is not right to negate the outrage they may feel for the misappropriation of funding for education.

Additionally, you cannot merge the community of college students and faculty with those outside of the community who may be disrupting the overall goals of the protest. This is an inevitable component, but again generalized assertions of the protesting population only highlight how much you don’t understand about the situation as a whole for public education.

Educate “YOURSELF” before you start making claims that “YOU” know what is really going on. This is not a clear cut, black and white matter.

• Anonymous

You never would have been laid off if our state had not leaned so far to the left and driven out so many jobs.  Giving in to these student demands only makes things worse for business and ultimately you won’t be able to find a job even with a Cal degree.

• Dariana Szykier

It is pure conjecture to suggest that I would have never been laid off because the state “leaned so far to the left” and drove “out so many jobs.” Where are your facts to support this? I’m genuinely interested and not trying to engage in an argument with you, but rather a discussion.

• Anonymous

Just ignore a paid shill like Calipenguin.  They don’t know anything but talking points fed to them by the Faux propaganda machine.

• Super Cereal

Do you have any clue how stupid and arrogant you sound?
            Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they’re a FOX News watching paid shill.

You make yourself look worse than the people you’re attacking ever could.

Still, FOX is a cage full of carefully pruned plutocrats, cheerleaders and bigots.

And you’re somehow more educated, tolerant, and open-minded? Certainly nobody can come to that conclusion from the nonsensical crap you spew here on a regular basis…

• Anonymous

Please read this recent L.A. Times editorial.  I don’t have enough room here to list all the reasons.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-cox-malanga-california-business-20111114,0,1011551.story

Maybe some of these dumb bunnies who think the solution is to keep taxing and spending even more, can explain to us why we have double-digit unemployment in this state, and why there’s a nearly 30% commercial and industrial vacancy rate in Silicon Valley, which up to a decade ago was a hotbed of high-tech start-ups as well as manufacturing that employed tens of thousands of middle-class workers. Intel has moved most of its manufacturing out of state or overseas, and the former hard drive manufacturing operations (IBM, Seagate, Western Digital) and their subcontractors (Komag, Akashic,  Stormedia, HMT, Read-Rite) are long gone or reduced to small satellite offices. It’s not necessarily about labor, because these industries have a reasonably high level of automation and often labor is only 10-12% of the total cost of the product. The taxation and regulatory environment in California simply isn’t conducive to a growing business. I’m working with a start-up operation down in So Cal, and we’re already debating whether we will be moving to Phoenix or Las Vegas once our product is ready for market and we need to put together a combined manufacturing/R&D center. CA simply is already a tough environment for business, and raising taxes won’t make it any better here…

There is no “left” in the U.S. There is right and extreme right. Jobs were driven out because workers are cheap somewhere else. So we could lower our standards to those workers, or we could enhance our skills so no cheap worker can outdo us. How do you feel about the first option?
        Can you afford the second?
        “Business” wants cheap profits with all the costs assumed by government (the taxpayer; the 99%) and all the benefits running to the top (the 1%). 
        It’s not even about degrees, or skills. It is about a system that vacuums wealth out of a larger group and channels it to a smaller one. With that wealth comes power, and power perpetuates itself (unless the students demand otherwise).

[There is no "left" in the U.S. There is right and extreme right."]

You must be sharing a bong with Arwen…

• Old Timer

No left or right, but only TROLLS like Tony M.

What’s like to be a 40 year old man trolling the comments of a college newspaper?

What’s it like to have no reply of substance ?

• Dark Phoenix

Because “You must be sharing a bong with Arwen” is a substantial reply?

Please leave this old man (more) alone.

You should try some real drugs Tony M. 

It may let you sleep
            at night. It might get you laid more often. It may lead you to relax, to focus
            and to realize that we are not enemies, just a couple of guys trying to make
            sense of this world of ours. 

Move your company to the middle of the desert ASAP.

• Completely Serious

What’s your major at Cal, Mrs. Szykier?

• Dariana Szykier

Might I ask why a major matters in this debate?

• What’s New? Nothing

Wow.   Unless you thought your major was “suspect” you would not avoid the answer.  

• Dariana Szykier

No, I don’t think my major is suspect. Actually I am English major, with a minor in rhetoric, and I was simply wondering why my major would factor in the debate. That’s all.

• Completely Serious

What high-paying field are you planning on working in where you think an English major will help further your career? Most English majors I know are working in retail positions, or doing basic office clerical work completely unrelated to their degree.

Your major is related to the discussion, because Occupy protesters are getting degrees that aren’t worth anything, and then complaining that they can’t get a job or pay back their school loans.

• Guest2

This is exactly the problem. The way that the this country used to work, humanities degrees and other non-science/engineering degrees used to be adequate in landing a job.  It
            used to be ok to be an English major or a Philosophy major when the
            economy was good. The going was still tough, but it wasn’t such a wild
            or reprehensible thing to do something you loved and hopefully make a
            living doing it. The point is that a handful of companies, with
            cooperation by our government, almost single-handedly brought down the
            American and World Economies through irresponsible derivative commodity
            trading and they are none the worse for wear for it. They are riding
            high at the expense of the jobs market, at the expense of public
            education, at the expense of middle class Americans. It’s a little
            cynical and misguided to say that in ALL examples, kids who don’t like
            the state of our economy and know who to blame are precluded from
            arguing against that because they picked a less viable major in college.
            College degrees in GENERAL aren’t very viable anymore. Just food for
            thought.

• Super Cereal

This is exactly the problem. The way that the this country used to work,
            humanities degrees and other non-science/engineering degrees used to be
            adequate in landing a job.

No, it didn’t used to work that way. You think it did because you weren’t alive then.

English degrees have always been fairly useless. I have one. It hasn’t served me at all. But I was smart enough to have a backup plan and got a second degree that I was able to use to get a decent job.

College degrees in general aren’t as useful as they used to be because of the ridiculous dumbing down of K-12 education and the push to try to get EVERYONE to go to college.

College degrees used to be more useful because fewer people had them. As they become increasingly common, they are increasingly less valuable.

It’s the simple law of supply and demand. As supply of liberal arts majors goes up, demand for their skills decreases.

• Guest2

So are you saying in the past that the only majors that were viable to the job market were science majors? Get real. ANY college degree was worth something in the past. This entire system is corrupt and needs to be changed. Something is wrong when you go to one of the best schools in the world and you can’t get a job, regardless of your degree. UC Debt. Though I do agree that the push toward getting everyone to go to college has really influenced the job market.

• Super Cereal

Like I said, supply & demand.

This isn’t some vast conspiracy of rich people. The simple fact is that a larger percentage of the workforce has college degrees, and as a result college degrees are worth less than they used to be overall.

The hard sciences are better *now* because there are fewer hard science graduates, and because they have job-specific education. Liberal arts degrees are worth less, because there are so many of them and because what they learn in school is generally completely useless on the job.

• Guest2

And humanities majors aren’t the only ones suffering from the job market. My Economics friends, my Engineering friends, my Architecture friends are ALL suffering.

I don’t believe you. 
            You are the useless one, not your degree.And don’t even start me in economics because you have obviously no-idea-what-you-are-typing-about.

• Super Cereal

Thank you for all the specifics in your reply!

The long list you provided of plentiful, high-paying jobs that require English degrees really made your case!

I can clearly see that you know what you’re talking about!

/sarcasm

• Dariana Szykier

Again, this is more conjecture that you know exactly who is protesting out there. Have you surveyed the protestors? Asked them what their majors are? And just to point out that there is an increasing demand for those who possess the ability to write, which many business and science majors lack – and that is statistical fact due to the expansion of our world becoming more and more digitized.

Before you tear down the diversity that serves universities and makes education great, stick to the point of my original comment, please do not attempt to make generalized assertions unless you have the facts to back them up. I personally have never met someone who was disappointed with the diverse liberal arts education they received. Anyone who has probably had a terrible experience in the university they attended and I feel for the frustration they experienced. However, it is not appropriate to generalize students in liberal arts as individuals who will end up in dead end jobs or less satisfying jobs. Furthermore, the retail sector may be satisfying for those in that field.

Stop with the generalized opinions on things you cannot factually back up. I’m not negating your personal experience, I’m simply saying be objective in your commentary and stop trying to pontificate that you know “EXACTLY what is going on and who is involved.”

• Super Cereal

I don’t need to survey the protesters there and ask them each about their majors and backgrounds when I am talking generally about the Occupy movement.

You are not a precious snowflake. Your individual experience is irrelevant. You are not as “different” as you think you are.

No one is talking about “tearing down diversity” – why address a meaningless buzz phrase like that when it has nothing to do with the discussion?

Just because someone enjoys their liberal arts education doesn’t mean it will actually be useful in the real world.
            What high-paying field are you planning on working in where you think an English major will help further your career? Outside of teaching or editing, English degrees aren’t very useful any more.

Don’t you enjoy liberal arts? Don’t you enjoy a good movie, a good plate of food or a good book? 
            Can you read this? You are robot SC, a poor, shortsighted, selfish, little flake of sugar-coated cereal, peacefully waiting to be devoured in your tiny bowl of rBGH-ladden milk.

• Try To Think

I enjoy them, sure. But expecting a degree in a liberal art like “Minority Women’s Studies” or English to pay for itself is idiotic.

A good movie is the result of hundreds of people who are technical experts in the practical arts. Not the liberal arts.

A good plate of food is a result of the culinary arts. Not the liberal arts.

A good book is the result of the liberal arts. But how many jobs do you think there are for authors in the world?

Anyone who can pass the requirements to get into Cal should be able to understand that getting an expensive degree in a field that has jobs that don’t pay well is a losing proposition.

Given that there’s no documented increase of any risk to drinking milk with rBST (the correct nomenclature for recombinant bovine growth hormone), who really cares?

Call Super Cereal and rub each other with milk then ;) 

• Anonymous

Don’t let these paid shills bait you.  My History degree served me very well in business.  Learning to read, write and research led to a very lucrative career in high tech.  IMHO, it still does. 

These basement dwellers that are paid by the RW noise machine know not of what they speak.

• Try To Think

A History degree? Not without some kind of backup plan. Not in this economy.

• Anonymous

You’ve never met anyone who was disappointed with only a liberal arts degree?  I’d suggest that you read the Wall Street Journal or BusinessWeek about all the liberal arts majors with no jobs and huge debts who camped out in OWS.   I know we differ philosophically but my honest suggestion for your future is to get a terrific GPA and then pursue a professional degree in Optometry, Dentistry, or Pharmacology.  At the very least get a CBEST so you have something to fall back on, and learn Microsoft Excel pivot tables, SQL, and any kind of CMS so you can beat out other applicants for jobs in financial services companies.

I rather camp in your gated community for free.

• Completely Serious

I think you’d rather be an idiot. Because it seems to be what you do all the time.

• Dariana Szykier

I said I have never met someone with negative retrospect on their liberal arts education. I never said those who do have negative retrospect, don’t exist. And I am well read in the publications you mentioned, in addition to many others.

I appreciate your suggestions, in fact it was always my intention to pursue my education further, and not that of a M.F.A.

Also, I am already proficient in Office Suite, and I am trained in various computer programming modes thanks to my years or work experience prior to being laid off. I’m hoping the piece of paper I earn will help show possible employers I already possess the skills they may require, but I needed a degree to go along with those skills.

If I might suggest to you, try not to assume that people you engage within these forums or comment threads are uneducated, ill-read, unskilled, or blind to the inner workings of the economy, politics, or our society as a whole. Trying to be a little open minded might teach you something new or shed a new light on something you might have never thought of.

I’m all for a healthy debate and exchange of ideas that does not result in an exchange of insults or assertions that are baseless or strictly opinions. I’ll leave it with the idea that we will have to agree to disagree.

[Again, this is more conjecture that you know exactly who is protesting
            out there. Have you surveyed the protestors? Asked them what their
            majors are?}

Come on, Dariana, don’t act dumb. It’s a well-documented fact that liberal arts and humanities majors are more likely to get involved in campus protests and demonstrations, if only for the fact that those enrolled in far tougher programs don’t have the time to play junior radical activist. The science and engineering majors also tend to be more focused, and have a good idea why there are at Cal and what they need to do to make it through the program and get their degree. OTOH, too many impressionable types show up on college campuses to try to “find themselves” while taking light-duty majors and are more susceptible to being goat-roped into this type of crap. Nothing new here, this story has been playing itself out on college campuses for decades now…

How completely offensive you are CS. 
            Why should we aim at high-paying fields (and what is that anyways: banking and petroleum? drugs? the (soon-to-be-applied-against-you) defense industry? More of the same squares that cannot think beyond their nose or their bank accounts?)?
            Why should I go to school to make someone else rich(er).
            Isn’t English beautiful, even if it does not have a lot of zeroes at the end?
            Wouldn’t you study your own mother tongue? 
            Balls to you!

• Completely Serious

You don’t have to go to school for any of those things. But if you go to school to get a degree that won’t pay for itself, you don’t get to complain about being in debt.

Why should anyone else be forced to pay for you to get some vanity degree in a completely impractical field? You want it, YOU pay for it. And YOU deal with the debt.

[No, I don't think my major is suspect. Actually I am English major, with a minor in rhetoric]

Here’s an expression that will come in useful in your future career endeavors: “Would you like fries with that?”   :O)

• GoldenBear

Ricardo Gomez and Marco Amaral have crafted their  images as student organizers” through demagoguery, plain and simple.  Their formula to indulge in their narcissistic delusions of grandeur are “hunger strike/protest + interviews = spotlight.”

TinBear (you are not golden, cheap punk). These are students, they are not supposed to be perfect. That’s why they are at school, to better themselves. But, can they afford Cal, the way their parents (might have)?
        That is their question. Their style may not be of your preference, but the question is still valid. Cut it on the insults, or get a job with the BPD and you can physically abuse them which seems to be what you really want.

• GoldenBear

Juanfer, Does your hostility towards my assertion derive from any problems with reading comprehension?

Would you prefer that I restate my assertion? Here it goes: The two individuals’ “student organizing” is mere self-aggrandizement through demagoguery. 

Grow up kid, show some respect when directing your comments to your elders.

• Guest

Even if you are right (which you have no evidence to prove that you are, nor do I have any to prove that you aren’t), it makes absolutely no difference, because there are no actual “leaders” in the movement. Whoever decides to set up mics and make announcements is arbitrary, because the actual content of those words is derived from the general assembly. You could train a monkey to be the “leader” and it wouldn’t be any different.

[Yes times have changed and the 18 year old students entering college may be very "green" to how the world works, but it is not right to negate the outrage they may feel for the misappropriation of funding for education. ]

Then why don’t you review the budget, find all those misappropriations, and bring them to the attention of the Regents and Administration through the many channels of communication open to you, instead of setting up tents on campus and getting into a pissing match with the cops, who have NOTHING to do with the current tuition raises anyway?

I don’t doubt there’s waste, fraud, and abuse in the UC budget. I don’t doubt that some of the Regents and administrations priorities are rather skewed in a number of areas, not just the budget. At the same time, the total lack of intellectual curiosity over the details where all this money is being spent makes some of us wonder how serious you are about this issue. Why are you willing to risk injury, jail time, and a criminal record that could adversely affect your chances for future employment by getting in a dust-up over a bunch of tents that offer NO value to your demonstration and do NOTHING to advance your own stated agenda? Maybe you really don’t care that much about the tuition issue, and are merely looking for an excuse to fight with symbols of authority instead?

• Completely Serious

None of the photo links are working.

• Super Cereal

If you want to protest tuition fee increases, GO TO SACRAMENTO.
    The legislators in Sacramento are the ones who are cutting State funding to the UC system and forcing the fees up, not the UC Regents or anyone at UC Berkeley.

• GoldenBear

My thoughts exactly. Prior to beginning my studies at CAL,  I spent the greater part of my life working to support my family.  I tend to view matters a bit more sceptically and pragmatically than the Berkeley student whom chooses attention grabbing tantrums and the spotlight.  Attack the root of the problem or discover the futility of your effforts in vain.

• Guest

Yes, the system is like a tree. Going after Sac would be like cutting off a whole branch, rather than the twigs at the very end (the regents), but then hey, why not go for Washington? Why not go for capitalism in general?? Cut the tree at the roots?

The thing is, metaphorically, we have a small axe, and a very large tree to cut down. For now, pruning the branches is the best we can do with our current tools, and hopefully, it will be enough so that we can make a chainsaw and REALLY get to the heart of the issue (which, of course, is our socioeconomic system of imperialistic capitalism).

[ Why not go for capitalism in general??}

Because capitalism WORKS, and provides the wealth-creating climate that allows you to go to college on the taxpayer’s dime in the first place. If you don’t believe me, why don’t you move to North Korea or Cuba and see how many young people have the privelege to attend college there, much less allowed to major in economically worthless programs and protest their government at the same time?

• Jack B

Traveling to Sacramento would take some effort.  As the path of lest resistance, Sproul is the logical choice for the lazy new-age protester.

• Thomas

Traveling to Sacramento also means cutting classes for me. A lot of the students out there today are trying as hard as they can to keep up their academics while engaging in the strike. Some people are lucky enough to not have class on Wednesdays and thus, are able to go to Sacramento. But for those of us who cannot because of class, work, illness, or any other obligation, we do our best to participate. 

• Completely Serious

How does one engage in a “strike” that asks students to cut class, while attending class?

How does that make any sense?

• guest

How about rounding up the HUNDREDS of UC employees who were laid off so students’ fees wouldn’t be higher than they already are?

• Matt Alum

This is so obvious, but the average protester wants the instant gratification of violence to quench their thirst for what might seem like change.

That’s the most concise, to the point summary I have seen regarding the Occupy Cal protesters. Good work!

• Actually Smarter Than You

Actually, no, and it’s demonstrably false that going to Sacramento is enough to get things done. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/us/07calif.html

Notice that what mattered when the UC got a few hundred million in restored funding in 2010 were the protests on university campuses. Straight from the horse’s mouth.

In reality, it’s the people who take action that you should be thanking. You who who refuse to participate, who refuse to support, who keep telling us what we need to do from the comfort of your arm chars, you are the free loaders who benefit from our hard0won victories. Sorry, but it’s the truth.

• Ronj

the only threats of violence around the regents meeting were from the cops

• Is It Like This

Embattled Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, speaking in an interview with the BBC (excerpted on The Takeawayradio program–audio
    of Quan starts at the 5:30 mark), casually mentioned that she was on a
    conference call with leaders of 18 US cities shortly before a wave of
    raids broke up Occupy Wall Street encampments across the country. “I was
    recently on a conference call with 18 cities across the country who had
    the same situation. . . .”Digby Opines:”Many witnesses to the wave of
    government crackdowns on numerous #occupy encampments have been
    wondering aloud if the rapid succession was more than a coincidence;
    Jean Quan’s casual remark seems to clearly imply that it was.I suppose it makes sense that they might want to share tips and
    insights. But if they are coordinating, we’re dealing with something
    else entirely. It would be very interesting to know if any government
    entity is coordinating this. It makes a big difference if it’s the
    National Conference of Mayors or Homeland Security.”http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/

• Super Cereal

Why shouldn’t American Mayors be able to confer about getting rid of co-ordinated illegal encampments?

Are protesters the only ones who are allowed to organize now?

We should camp at their houses and the houses of their generous donors and contributors.

• Guest

What’s a Love Blog?

• Newday

kudos to Daily Cal for wise and conscientious reporting- we are the 99%

No, you’re not, and to pretend you are is complete narcissistic arrogance on your part. You are college students who for the most part have gotten a free ride so far in life. Yes, some of the older students who have served in the military, supported families or held down full-time jobs before attending Cal have some legitimate claim to be part of the 99%, but the rest of you have been supported most of your life either by Mommy and Daddy or the State of California. The idea that you’re somehow picking up the burden for others is completely ludicrous…

• Anonymous

Many students at Cal have worked to contribute to getting their education.  They are also taking on debt to get an education which will need to be paid back.  Cal students are serious about getting an education and work hard in their classes.

So may I inquire, would you rather go back to the days of Dickens when we sent children into the mills to work?

• Jack B

Dickens? Spurious rhetoric in response to a serious question. Some Cal students have worked, many have not. Most Cal students are serious but a significant percentage is not.

Many students at Cal have worked to contribute to getting their education.  They are also taking on debt to get an education which will need to be paid back.

Yes, some of them have, and I include myself in that group , as I spent 6 years in the Air Force (active duty and reserves) before returning to school. That doesn’t take away from the fact that the vast majority of students have NEVER had to support themselves a day in their lives, yet those are the ones who scream the loudest, mainly because they can, and because those who DO work have too much at stake to waste time with silly protest games or get in confrontations with the cops…

Get back to your plane and bomb them then…

You stay up all night trying to come up with increasingly more stupid things to post or what?

• SamtheMan

and you’re talking about Juanfr or yourself?

Look Tony, I know you are going to be a jerk, but I
            apologize. We should not take this personally. I take my comment back.

I know you may have joined the AF with Top Gun fantasies
            about scoring hot chicks in your F-14, but I doubt you had bad intentions. You
            may have been misled. The Army does not recruit with slogans like these: “Let’s
            kill everyone that does not agree with us (hi-five)”.  Or: “Get weapons, orders and off to kill boy
            (yeeeee)!”. They appeal to family and honor and the Fatherland, which have undoubtedly
            their space. But people can lie to you, and you can end up being a disposable pawn
            in some game you don’t understand. Don’t listen to me, but do not listen to
            fucking Glen Beck either, or whatever clown gets your pants sticky. 
            Listen to
            both sides of the debate, take a breath, leave the poisoned milk, and think.

Do you know why gangsters love pitbulls?

Because, pitbulls attack ferociously,

so when the cops get there to bust the bad guys,

the dogs are let loose

and get shot

while the gangsters run away.

• Anonymous

Just keep things the way they are.  Students take on debt, can’t repay, and serve as an example to younger siblings to not fall in the same trap.  Or, perhaps students can serve in the military and let Uncle Sam help with repayment, which also serves as a good example for younger siblings.

• headhighbliss

exactly what we need, lets add to the military complex of our country as a prerequisite for being able to gain a decent education.  One should not have to support/be a part of an organization that wages war killing innocent people in foreign countries for questionable ends

• Try To Think

Compulsory military/social service works great in Germany. They engage in fewer illegal foreign wars than the USA, and their economy is kicking our economy’s ass.

[One should not have to support/be a part of an organization that wages war killing innocent people in foreign countries for questionable ends]

I spent 6 years in the Air Force and traveled all over the world, yet never met a single military person who went around killing innocent people. Perhaps you’re thinking of the armed forces of those communist countries you so admire and wish we would emulate their economic policies some day?

Just keep things the way they are. Great advice.

Given than you are demonstrably incapable of articulating a better plan, that makes sense to me…

• Samtheman

of course it doesn’t make sense to you Tony, of course

• Lester

No, you are not. The 99% are those that get up go to work pay taxes so you kids can go to school. Hopefully you are taking something that makes you employable and you should get down on your knees everyday and thank those of us that work to pay for Cal.

• Lester

And if you want to protest higher tuition you should protest the bloat in administration and diversity programs and the lavish retirement benefits given to UC employees

Interestingly how these protests, even when supposedly directed at the Regents and administration, effectively divert attention from their own complicity and incompetence in this budget mess. I have observed enough when I was a student at Cal to realize that almost NONE of these protests are spontaneously organized by genuine “students”, and have noted when certain demonstrations were orchestrated solely to advance the agenda and self-interest of certain faculty or administration members by students who really had no clear idea what they were protesting at all. The exposure of a certain administration employee with an *.edu e-mail address posing as a “student protester” calling for more protests against the same administration he worked for, only confirms that the art of the kabuki play may have originated in Imperial Japan, but is continually being refined on the Cal campus…

• guest5

Lavish retirement benefits? That’s a joke. Most of us can’t afford to retire until we’re close to 70 years old and they keep chipping away at our benefits.  Do you have any idea how many staff lost their jobs at Cal in the last few years to make up for the budget cuts? So next time students complain that their financial aid isn’t being processed, or their grades aren’t available, or long response times and long lines, that’s because there are fewer staff to do the work, yet the work doesn’t go away.  Staff are the easy fall guy.