Proposed Occupy Cal open letter to UC and state officials

The following is the proposed letter that will be adopted by Occupy Cal at the Nov. 15 General Assembly, addressed to the state government, UC Regents, CSU trustees and all education administrators.

• Lothiriel_rohan

So what happened with the letter?

• Lothiriel_rohan

@Anon, the Governor signed the Dream Act for California and supports affirmative action. Your side lost.

• Since when did @occupy become about repealing affirmative action? Its been deemed unconstitutional, and it doesnt help anyone in the long run, lets fix the schools so NO one needs help getting jobs/into schools. OR implement affirmative action based ONLY on economic or geographic circumstances, not race.

• I wonder how many of these economic illiterates understand that it is not WEALTH that is taxed, but INCOME. Given that the truly wealthy do not NEED to work anymore to support themselves, but are typically the ones who invest in businesses, increased taxes are merely an incentive for them to say “f-ck it” and not bother making the same investments that provide employment for large sectors of the  middle class in this country. Instead, these people will either sit on their money, move it out of state or offshore, or decide that they are retired in place. In that case, you will have a situation like a third world country, where what jobs are available are often low-paying, low-skilled service sector jobs (waiters, hotel clerks) catering to consumer spending, as opposed to investing in new technologies, infrastructure or expensive equipment for manufacturing or technology related businesses. You may not like the rich, but they generally aren’t stupid, and will find a way to shield their money from excessive taxation, even if it means shutting down businesses that keep many people employed. Another example on how left-wing activists let emotionalism and petty resentment interfere with common sense and reason…

• Matt L

Your quite right Tony, it is wealth that’s not taxed. I think the word “tax” is used here more pejoratively to refer to a call for a more equitable distribution of the way our country acquires its revenues and the need for people (corporations included since they’re considered people, for now) at the highest levels of income/wealth to pay a proportional share of these revenues. To your point about “investing in businesses” I can only conclude your referring to VC’s or private equity firms and that your not implying that the larger financial corporations in our country have been in what could be described in any way as “investing in business” after receiving they’re “tax” payer bailouts?  Whats next here, a yes, “out of state or offshore”. Really Tony, like Italy, perhaps Greece or Nevada? I don’t think so. No, I think it would be smart or in your words “not stupid” for the 1% to let the 99% have their say instead of using the police to bludgeon students at the first sight of a tent or the always threatening, holding of hands. The occupy movement has started some thing thats been long overdue and I for one would rather join them in a bottom up reformation of our political and economic system than perpetuate the failures of the current system you described so eloquently. 

You may not like this movement, but they generally aren’t stupid. 

• Matt Alum

Keep it immature, kids, issue more demands and ultimatums. I sure hope that’s not what you do with relationships.

In a dialogue sense, I disagree that collegiate education at a four-year institution is a right. It is in every sense a privilege. Increasing access across social and economic obstacles does NOT mean the entire planet is entitled to enrolling in UC Berkeley. I would like to hear how it would make sense otherwise.

Declaring school sites free from use of force against protesters is asking for a blank check outside of laws, rules, and community standards. Be peaceful and think about how you would react to police officer orders in a one on one setting, or even a four on one setting; now why would your reaction to those orders all of a sudden change if you had more people?

• guest

I agree that going to UC Berkeley, or any university, is not an entitlement for anyone. Attending a university does not suit everyone since it requires dedication, persistence, and ambition.

The letter, as I read it, seems to imply that quality public education on all levels is a right. It seems to have been intentionally drafted in an open ended manner, perhaps to apply to K-12 education as well. If this is indeed the case, then quality public eduction K-12 would fall under “basic human right,” according to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.  On the other hand, higher education would be accessible, but not guaranteed, to people based on merit.