Student shot by UCPD Tuesday dies in hospital

Nine others in computer lab at time of shooting

Dan Mogulof and police officers stand at the entrance to the Haas School of Business.
Derek Remsburg/Staff

A man who was shot by UCPD after brandishing a gun Tuesday afternoon at the Haas School of Business has since died.

The suspect, who was identified as Christopher Nathen Elliot Travis, 32, was an undergraduate transfer student at the school in his first semester, said UC Berkeley spokesperson Dan Mogulof.

Josh Keller, a reporter from the Chronicle of Higher Education captured a screen shot of a website written by a man matching Travis’s physical description and age, which has since been taken down. On the web site,  Travis marketed himself as a teacher and speaker and describes two past suicide attempts.

“I tried to kill myself when I was 5 … I took 219 sleeping pills one day when I was 23,” the web site read. “I want to be remembered as someone who would never give up.”

There is no indication that the event was linked to Tuesday’s Occupy Cal demonstration.

“I must emphasize that so far at this point in the investigation there is no evidence that this was anything other than an isolated incident,” Mogulof said.

At a press conference Wednesday afternoon, UCPD Capt. Margo Bennett said the suspect sustained multiple gunshot wounds during the confrontation with police officers. He was carrying a loaded semi-automatic 9 mm handgun, which was registered in his name in San Jose, according to Bennett.

In the press conference, Bennett offered a more detailed description of the shooting. Police entered the computer lab where Travis was and walked down its center aisle. According to Bennett, Travis looked up, saw police officers and pointed his gun at them. Nine other people were present in the room at the time, three of whom were “in the line of fire,” Bennett said. After telling Travis multiple times to lower his weapon, one officer shot Travis.

He was transported to Highland Hospital, where he died during the course of medical attention, according to UCPD Chief Mitch Celaya.

According to  Mogulof, the notification of death to his family occurred in Lodi, Calif.

UCPD has interviewed about 17 witnesses and will conduct more interviews, Celaya said.

“We have some reports that the student was ‘not normal’ and we’re trying to determine what that means — these are just comments that are being made,” he said.