Police force Occupy Cal to clear out

A protester raises his arms in front of a line of police wearing riot gear on Sproul Plaza.
Taryn Erhardt/Senior Staff

Demonstrators packed up tents and disbanded the Occupy Cal encampment early Thursday morning after police officers forced the encampment’s clearing, resulting in two arrests.

At approximately 3:30 a.m., around 50 police officers in riot gear arrived in Sproul Plaza and told demonstrators to begin packing up the tents which were on the Sproul Hall steps.

Police told demonstrators that students would be allowed to remain on-campus but would not be allowed to camp. Non-students were forced off-campus. Demonstrators were told that anyone who camps on-campus would be arrested.

Photo Gallery: Police clear Occupy Cal encampment

By 4:30 a.m., no tents were left on the Sproul Hall steps. As of 5 a.m., police still surrounded the encampment site and the approximately 35 protesters in Sproul Plaza milled about and shared testimonies via a megaphone. Protesters also tried to rally more support by calling and texting friends.

Two demonstrators, including one UC Berkeley student, were arrested during the encampment’s clearing, according to UCPD Lt. Alex Yao. Yao said the arrests were “done peacefully.” The arrestees were charged with illegal lodging and failure to disperse when given a dispersal order and transported to Oakland’s Glenn E. Dyer Detention Facility for processing.

Taryn Erhardt/Senior Staff

Protesters gathered for an impromptu mic check as their encampment was disassembled.

“Just like New York, just like Oakland, just like Occupy locations everywhere, we are coming back, we are winning,” said junior James Chang. “Whose university? Our university.”

Junior Jameson Reeves, who was sleeping when police arrived in the plaza, said he packed up and left when police appeared because at that point “there was no reason to be arrested.”

“Hopefully (the Occupy Cal movement) stays strong, we have a lot of energy so we will keep trying, keep it going,” he said. “This is just a bump in the road, really.”

Along with the encampment tents, police also removed artwork which had been placed on the Sproul Hall steps, including a 10 foot-tall paper mache T-Rex.

“At about 3:30, I looked outside my tent, and I saw what looked like hundreds of police officers coming up the steps (from Lower into Upper Sproul Plaza),” said freshman Aly Maun. “Now they’re tearing down the art, and the art is beautiful. I don’t think this was necessary.”

Around 5:15 a.m., a backhoe and trucks were brought into the plaza to clear the remains of the encampment.

UCPD, Emeryville Police Department, Oakland Police Department, Newark Police Department and Union City Police Department officers and Alameda Country Sheriff’s Office Deputies were among the police force in Sproul Plaza, according to Yao.

Taryn Erhardt/Senior Staff

Amruta Trivedi and Christopher Yee of The Daily Californian contributed to this report.

Jordan Bach-Lombardo is the university news editor.

• Anonymous

The connection between the inequitable distribution of wealth and corporate evasion of public responsibility is obvious – as in the rising cost of education and use of funds to bailout private corporations, or their failure to pay a fair share of the country’s tax burdens.  What I haven’t read, or heard yet is anyone questioning the fact that we do not charge our corporations directly for the part of the educational product which they consume, as we do with any other product.  By associating educational liability with individual students or with public funding,  we hide ‘education’ from being recognized as an ingredient of our products and services and permit the producers of those goods to escape  costs that would otherwise be attached to the price of the goods  like any other raw material. 

How much of a student’s education is actually used by a student in their life outside of work?  What is it used for, from a student’s pov?  Well, yes,  getting a date by impressing somebody with your “knowledge”, or your ego in some producing some bon mot at a cocktail party or maybe some pleasure reading on Sunday.  By and large, however,   the overwhelming application (what, 70 or 80 percent?) of all that expensive education isn’t used by the worker at all.  It is used for producing products and services for the real consumers of that education, the companies you will work for and that will apply your education for profit.   In short,  the educated worker is really little more than a tool-box that carries around implements used by employers who don’t pay for them.

Yes, it is true that one will be paid wages and, presumably, the better educated one is, the better wages they will get (in theory). But wages are intended to cover the costs of the application of those educational tools – the making or doing of something.  They are not paying for the creation of those tools in the first place.  It is as if a shop kept buying tools and machinery for its workers to do their job, and then sent the bill for them to its mechanics. 

I wasn’t educated in economics, so am I missing something?  Is there something wrong with this picture?  Or, is it as I say, that we have bought into an axiom of economic exchange that was written by the 1% and accepted by the rest of us without question; that student’s should bear the brunt of the costs for a product that others consume and profit from?  Help me out here.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[I wasn't educated in economics, so am I missing something?]

Yes.

• Anonymous

“yes”, isn’t much of an answer, Tony.  Educate us then,  why should individual students or the public treasury be used to pay for the overwhelming proportion of  something which corporations and businesses consume without paying for?  I dare say they would be the first to complain if we used their products without paying for them.

["yes", isn't much of an answer, Tony.]

A more detailed list of what you are missing would take up most of the day, and I’m at work, something you ought to try some time if you don’t want to remain poor all of your life.

• Anonymous

Yes, Tony, that’s about the kind of vacuous prolix I expected you to respond with, judging from your other posts. I just wanted to confirm that you have nothing but your own weak ego to offer and that people can skip your comments without fear they might miss something useful.  You don’t offer anything.

• Somebody

Typical tony, always disenfranchising the unemployed.  He must have had a time-punch card in his mother’s womb…I’d hate to see how psycho you would get should you “gasp” find yourself one day unemployed!  Would poor old tony swallow his pride and stand in line for benefits?  Would he rather rummage for his dinner rather than take food stamps?  In general, your vapid existence is a joke among many.  Part of the American experience now is going through periods of prolonged unemployment making the so-called American dream even more harder.  To kick people who are already down, that’s just unnecessary and not the qualities of a gentleman, let alone an “alum” of Cal.  I think that’s quite reasonable to say from one educated person to a layperson like yourself.

• Steven1973

Guest and Tony M seem pretty fascist to me… They went to Cal so that the Billionaires can make them enforce wage-slavery on people who are in a lesser economic position. Screw you two dogs!!!

Oh, poor child, I’m a “fascist” because I expected that as a grown adult I would have to support myself , and that my personal quality of life wouldn’t be so hot if I lacked suitable skills and work ethic to get and keep a decent paying job. But thanks for letting us know you never grew up yourself…

[Whether you agree with Tony or not, he's getting fun!]

Are you surprised? I’m the life of the party. Nobody wants to tip a few beers and listen to some jams with some whiny protester who never bathes and lives in a tent…

• http://twitter.com/LOrion LOrion

HERE I have posted a readable copy of the TENT ruling. It is from BOSTON…
    Tents were on Boston Commons protesting Reagonomics! 

http://tinyurl.com/79n7zn9

• http://twitter.com/LOrion LOrion

Here is link to Court Decree from 1982… that TENTS eg safety were a form of FREE SPEECH.
    Newspaper archive see Right page, Left column. GET YOUR LAWYERS ON IT. Anyone i Boalt hall read the Constitution lately?  http://t.co/O6K7WeCe

From Spokane paper archivesHere is full post re your First Amendment rights are protected by 14th. 

http://tinyurl.com/75q3tsu

oh yea, spending on the UC system is such a waste….

Either you have a reading comprehension problem, or you grossly distort what others say so you can respond with feigned indignation. I certainly never said that spending money on the UC system as a whole was a waste. What I was trying to POINT OUT to some of the ignorant children here was that not only does the UC system have its share of fiscal mismanagement and bloated bureaucracy, but there is a lot of money being spent on non-mission-critical activities (i.e. education and research) that competes for the very same state funding as undergraduate tuition assistance.

Those whining the loudest clearly haven’t caught on to 2 important facts central to this discussion. First of all, the money supply is NOT finite. Secondly, many of the other programs you students (especially the left-of-center political activists among you) support compete DIRECTLY with the same funding you are counting on to pay your way through your undergraduate studies.

For example, when the administration endorses tuition assistance for illegal aliens, that’s less money available for those of you whose parents are native citizens (or legal resident immigrants) of this country (not to mention providing a financial incentive for more people to come here illegally). When the campus spends millions on legal fees fighting legislature enacted by the will of the people (Prop 209), that money comes out of what’s available for tuition assistance. Look at the entire affirmative action/diversity debacle, where the administration actively pushes to bring in more and more low-performing students who aren’t cut out for college, for the purposes of pushing their left-wing social agenda. Not only do those students require a plethora of dumbed-down liberal arts and humanities programs (i.e. the trendy racial/ethnic grievance/victim studies majors that have NO economic value in the real world), but many of these students can’t even make it through THOSE programs either, usually because they lack the ability to read and write English at even the high school level. These students often drop out and never make it as the type of productive taxpaying members of society who (hopefully) can reimburse the system through their own taxes, and in fact displace more deserving students who can succeed if given the chance.

Don’t even get me started about the reason why we need a separate zillion departments for related sources of study, each with its own department head, assistant, support staff and budget. How about the fact that an individual in charge of “diversity and inclusion” makes over $300K/year (for doing WHAT?) and a department with 17 people, catering to the gender confused? You don’t see a problem there? Why don’t you think about some of these issues before making a bunch of clueless and uninformed statements, which is typical of emotive children like you?

[Of course the majority was paid by the state. That was the whole point
    of the post, you dumbass. Since you can't read and comprehend, let me
    make it simple for you. Penguin suggested I paid nothing.]

And he’s essentially right – you paid only a token amount of the cost of
    your education when you went to college. The point you miss is that you
    were fortunate to have it because the state had not yet been driven into
    financial ruin by the policies of irresponsible legislators and
    bureaucrats, which is unfortunately the situation today.

[Public education should be nearly free. A gift.  But it appears you only
    want university of california educations for who you think is deserving.]

Yes, it SHOULD be for the deserving – those who show the intellectual
    capacity and demonstrate the work ethic necessary to succeed in an
    academically rigorous course of study, with a sensible balance between
    those who can directly reimburse the state for the cost of their
    education, and some form of financial aid for those whose parents were
    at least legal residents of this state for a long enough period of time
    to pay into the tax base as productive members of society. That balance
    is a perfectly legitimate subject of debate, and you might just note
    that I have not taken a strong position on that one way or another. What I DO find especially annoying about some of you whiners is your TOTAL DISCONNECT from ECONOMIC REALITY. The state of California is fast approaching bankruptcy, but your dogmatic left-of-center views and your need to blame/attack  the usual authority symbols cause you to completely gloss over some rather important questions, like where’s the money spent that’s already budgeted to the UC system. Instead, you blindly defend every budget-busting item around, including tuition for illegal aliens, “diversity” and “affirmative action” programs to recruit essentially unqualified people to attend college, and a bloated bureaucracy that spends tens of millions of dollars on activities that do NOTHING to support or improve the education of the vast majority of undergrads in the UC system. How about a little though for a change before bleating the same silly platitudes over and over?

• Whoslookin

Why, does UCPD work so hard to get rid of the people who are trying to help them.?

the 1% don’t pay taxes and the 99% does,  they are part of the 99%

• Anonymous

But less than 1% of the 99% are silly enough to throw a collective tantrum against a university administration that has no power to raise taxes.  And UCPD doesn’t need your help.

• Guest

Graduated from Cal with the hopes of getting to the 1%.

Same here. If I wanted to be nose-ringed, tatted bohemian hanging out on the streets of Telegraph and spending my life engaged in pointless little protests, I wouldn’t have bothered busting my ass to get an engineering degree.

• okay

“Screw all these other people busting their asses and paying higher and higher tuition for fewer and fewer jobs, as the wealthy pull away from the rest of society. I’ve got ham-fisted caricatures and self-righteous proclamations to make. “

You see the world through the eyes of a child. Go get a job, pay taxes, take some responsibility in your life, then see how you feel when a bunch of cretins who are demonstrably incapable of analyzing problems and come up with workable solution demand that they run the country.

• Guest

This is such a ridiculous talking point. Have you considered that many of us are graduate students that HAVE had real jobs and HAVE lived in the real world? I’m a law student who spent several years working an 8-6 for corporate America in DC. I saw 40% of my paycheck go to taxes that, instead of providing health care for the dying homeless or the starving children in Anacostia, or offering equity and access to the underserved communities of Northeastern DC, instead pay for Big Oil subsidies and bank bailouts. 

These kinds of experiences should be motivations for solidarity with Occupy, not the formulation of a self-righteous argument against it. People of your ilk have made a terrible muddle of American governance. Why the hell should any of us consider you an authority, or your experience controlling, when heaven and earth have shown your ideologies to be so wrong? 

[HAVE had real jobs and HAVE lived in the real world? I'm a law student
            who spent several years working an 8-6 for corporate America in DC.]

Got news for you, buddy. I have spent plenty of time working in the DC area (Alexandria, VA) dealing with the military and various government agencies and I will tell you this much: the area inside the Beltway is NOT the real world. As far as the poor children of N.E., Anacostia, PG county in MD or wherever, they aren’t starving or dying for any other reason that they have been morally and intellectually crippled by a welfare state that has bred indolence, apathy, and complete dependence on government for people’s survival. I have dealt with the crackheads outside the Metro subway, the street people in Chinatown, and some of the other lovelies camping out along the CSX tracks in Northeast. As far as the bank bailouts go (which I fully opposed, BTW) I was one of those pointing out how ludicrous it was to pass 2,000+ page bills that nobody had even READ, and the rationale of the oh-so-intelligent-and-enlightened liberals at the time was that my opposition was because I was allegedly a “racist” who “hated Obama”. Are you slow learners finally admitting that maybe some of us were right after all?

• Anonymous

Can you give us a full list of the parts of the country that aren’t the “real world”? It’s starting to get rather confusing.

Here’s the “short list”:

California: SF, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, and everything west of Fairfax and north of Wilshire Blvd in West LA/Hollywood.

New York: Everywhere in Manhattan north of Canal Street and south of 96th/97th except for Central Park and any station for the A, D, and 7 lines, which are as real as it gets. Eastern Suffolk County including the Hamptons and Amagansett, which used to have the great A&B Snowflake ice-cream emporium before it turned to hipster hell. Westchester County except for the I-95 during the Friday PM weekend getaway crush.

Washington DC area: anything inside the Beltway (ESPECIALLY Goergetown) except for the Smithsonian Institute and any decent Afghan kabob place. Most of Fairfax County except for the Pentagon.

Massachusetts: Inner Boston, Cambridge, the Cape, and anyone/anything related to the geniuses  MassDOT who decided to effectively split Framingham in half by running K-rail down the middle of Highway 9, so you need to drive to one end of town or the other to get drive to the other side of the street.

Midwest: most of Madison, WI.

Southwest: Sedona AZ, Taos NM and any other town over-run by New Age artsy kooks who can’t decide whether they want to recreate Arcosanti or sell cheesy “art” that would even make owners of those embarrasing Thomas Kincakes snicker in ridicule.

Hawaii: all if it except Pearl, Hickam, and the USS Arizona memorial.

Did that answer your question? :O)

• CalBear

Whether you agree with Tony or not, he’s getting fun!  Hey, TM, I can’t believe you left out Vermont.  C’mon, do VERMONT!!

• http://anonymoustroll.myopenid.com/ anonymous

So you’re upset about the government giving big oil and big business subsidies and bailouts (which you’re right to be angry about) and you want to give the government more of the people’s money? What do you think it’s going to do with it?

Another question I would ask these indignant protesters is what they think about the fact that their Hope-and-Change ringleader in the White House and his minions in the Democrat-controlled Congress were the ones who peddled the last round of bailouts, and why they aren’t protesting THEM instead?

• Anonymous

Tony, I’m waiting for some answers on Europe/socialism.

The short answer is that the check has come to the table for EU- style socialism, and nobody seems able or willing to pay the bill. What part of that have you NOT figured out?

• Anonymous

Germany, Scandinavia, France, England. 
            All that has been proven is that monetary union without federalism doesn’t work. 

Norway has a surreal amount of oil–that explains its ability to fund a welfare state so easily. Unless you also think that Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are models of economic development, you should probably STFU with Scandinavia.

France is bailing everybody out with money it doesn’t have–its borrowing rates have gone up because there are fears that it might be the next domino to fall.

The UK is not part of the Eurozone, but apart from that, it was given a lease on life by the privatization of the 1980s that was continued by the Labour government. It’s still unsustainable, but at least better off than the rest of Europe because there’s less socialism.

Germany and Sweden are ranked 22 and 23rd in economic freedom (i.e. capitalism) by Heritage. UK is 16. Finland 17. Netherlands is 16. These are all the countries that are doing better than their socialist neighbors. France is in the 60s, Greece and Italy is in the 80s. Enough ownage for you?

• ROTFLMAO

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Right on!
            It’s unbelievable how stupid these Occutards are!

• Anonymous

So you’re smart enough to know DC controls your taxes and yet you’re not smart enough to know that UC and CSU have no control over your taxes? 

• lolcat

think you meant responsibility of your life, dummy.

• lolcat

or responsibility with your life, maybe that one’s right

• lolcat

well, i guess i’m not sure. help me?

• lolcat

nvm, the column is getting too small for you

JFC  dude, if people like you are being accepted to Cal, no wonder we’re screwed…

• Guest

yes, its pointless to protest against the horrible direction this country is headed?

If anyone’s part of the “horrible direction” this country’s in, it’s ignorant and worthless ass-clowns who think they have a right to confiscate the earnings of the more productive and use violence to achieve their means.

• Guest

You’re right. The only confiscation that should be allowed is a confiscation and exploitation of labor. How is the 1% the “more productive?” Do you even have an inkling of an idea of who comprises the 1%? I’ll give you a hint- most of them are rich by inheritance, not by any measurable “production.” YOU are the uninformed ass-clown. 

You have NO idea what “confiscation or exploitation of labor” is until you’re in a position where 1/3 or more of your paycheck goes to pay various state, federal, or local taxes. I never even see about $25K/year of my own hard-earned money. How much did YOU wind up paying on your Federal 1040 or CA FTB 540 last year? Why don’t you tell me that much before you lecture me again about “confiscation and exploitation of labor”, you arrogant little asshole?

• UCB Alum

Er, I paid $40K+ in federal+state taxes last year, and I support the protests.  Let me enlighten you: Markets reward labor on the basis of the *scarcity* of the resource provided, NOT on the actual “value” of the labor. The fact that there are many, many people who are able to do job X does not diminish the importance of job X (consider X=raising children or growing food).  And yet if there are many people who want to do job X, then their reward for labor goes to zero.  This is why we see stagnating wages and high unemployment, while corporate profits are at all-time highs.  This is terribly terribly unfair, and it is the underlying reason for the Occupy movement.

• Dont Be Such A Moron

ROTFLMAO!!!

You protest against the way the Government spends taxpayer money, but you want to give MORE taxpayer money to Government?

Are you retarded, or just stupid? Hard to tell from where I’m sitting.

• Usha

You are the moron. 

“The Government” is not some uniform static body. There are different types of governments that behave in different ways. I want to CHANGE the way the government spends taxpayers’ money. I want to make it more accountable to the 99%. Just like it is in Scandinavia. 

• Sheesh

Scandanavia is going to hell in a handbasket.
            Government in the USA is the same no matter which party you elect.

You are deluding yourself if you think you have choice.

• UCB Alum

Wow, you missed the point entirely.  Next time, try reading past the first sentence.  The post above had nothing to do with sending more money in taxes.  But since you bring it up: The majority of government expenditures are transfer payments to the elderly, the poor, and students,  or outlays for public education. These are things that I largely support.  I would like to change the way that the government spends much of its money, to make it more efficient and accountable to the 99%.

• vivahate

hahahaha you can throw personal attacks around so well. you may think you’re well articulated and smart, but you sound really stupid when you talk like that. just some advice.

Why don’t you look at the  spelling, grammar and punctuation in your own barely coherent before you pass judgement about others looking “stupid”? If someone as demonstrably lacking in English writing skills as you are actually made it into college, no wonder the UC system is in a financial mess.

• Guest

Well, so do 90% of other Cal students.

The problem is, these fringe lunatics (and the loony left wing Chancellor) threaten the very reputation of the University whose name will forever be embossed on your resume.

• Guest

Go UCPD !!!   Get those fleabaggers out of our university!!

• Anonymous

Are you really a student? If so, perhaps you should have considered attending a private university in light of your aversion to “outsiders”.

I can’t tell what your complaint is. It only makes sense to me that you think the occupy Cal movement is primarily non-UCB students because you chose not only a public university but UC Berkeley – the “birthplace of the free speech movement” and home to perpetual protests. In short, this is what you signed up for…or at least what a reasonable person should have expected.

So, in light of the fact that your complaints are vague and considering the only thing that really makes sense is that you think the occupy Cal movement has been instigated and staffed by “outsiders”, here’s a few quotes from the story you just read:

– “Two demonstrators, including one UC Berkeley student, were arrested during the encampment’s clearing”
      – “Protesters gathered for an impromptu mic check as their encampment was disassembled. ‘Just like New York, just like Oakland, just like Occupy locations everywhere, we are coming back, we are winning,” said junior James Chang. “Whose university? Our university.'”

– “Junior Jameson Reeves, who was sleeping when police arrived in the plaza, said he packed up and left when police appeared because at that point “there was no reason to be arrested.’”

– ““At about 3:30, I looked outside my tent, and I saw what looked like hundreds of police officers coming up the steps (from Lower into Upper Sproul Plaza),” said freshman Aly Maun”

• What’s New? Nothing

Nice jump to conclusion without causality.  It could be that the DC reporter only sought out students to interview.  It could be the outsiders refused to be interviewed.    Slow down and think about what you are concluding and getting all smug about.

• Anonymous

What conclusions did I make?

• Guest

Yes I am a student.  And I have no problems with “outsiders” or “free speech”.  I do have a problem with people turning Sproul into a giant outdoor toilet, urinating and defecating all over (like Occupy Oakland) or creating a giant public health hazard with drug-resistant tuberculosis running rampant (like Occupy Atlanta).

• Anonymous

I must have missed the defecation and drug resistant TB.

…and I must have also missed the flea infestation. Was that near the feces or the Tuberculosis?

• jackterrier

it was up your ass, shitwit

• Anonymous

Wow, I’m overwhelmed by your rhetorical prowess. All I can manage in the hot afterglow of your brilliance is a quote from higher up on this page. I think, perhaps, you may recognize it.

“OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD I’M FUCKING RETARDED!!!”

• Anonymous

Andrew, meet my doppelganger.

• jackterrier

QUIT COPYING MY PROFILE YOU ASSCLOWN

OCCUPY WALL STREET IS THE BEST AND I FUCKING LOVE IT

I DESERVE A FREE EDUCATION AND A LIVING WAGE EVEN IF I DON’T WANT TO HAVE A JOB

IT IS A HUMAN RIGHT

• Anonymous

My goodness. What baby seal did you club in a past life to deserve that? I’d suggest flagging the posts and sending an email to whatever moderator you can find.

• Test

I am really sorry the police felt the need to clear out the artwork! It was a beautiful way to express opinion without being violent or illegal.

• Anonymous

That’s an impressive array of riot police in the photo above.  Working until 5:00 AM.  Overtime pay.  Paid by student fees, of course.  How does it feel to know that this silly protest against an administration powerless to raise taxes is going to exacerbate the very conditions leading to the protest?

• guest

wow calipenguin… so cowardly

Did you have anything of substance to offer to the discussion?

• Anonymous

You never do, why should he?

I offer far more than you do. When is the last time you ever posted anything more than a snarky sentence or two?

• Anonymous

Ton, I wrote several posts consisting of several paragraphs with littlesnark. But no response from you…
            What’s up with that?

Uh, check the top of the page. Posting stuff in a window only 2 inches wide is a bit of a pain…

• lolcat

waaahhh im forty, i cant read small columns. wahhh, i also dont respond when people tear my logic to shreds, wahhhhh

I can read small columns, just prefer that those columns contain more than one or two words each. However, thanks for letting us know that you can’t offer any coherent response to the substance of my text. I’ll take being forty-something any day over being a silly child like you.

• EarlBear

Oh yeah, whining about how much it costs is going to stop this movement for sure.   Imagine if the civil rights movement or the Vietnam protests or the women’s vote movement had been stopped with cry-babies sayin “Can’t you stop?  This is costing so much!”   Freedom has a price.  Liberty is not without sacrifice.  It must be horrible to be so hide-under-the-bed afraid of chane.

• EarlBear

By the way, the story tells you in the second sentence the cops arrived at 3:30.  Even if they came on shift at 11, by 5 they were still on straight time.  UC chooses to bring in cops from other agencies.  If there was any extra cost, is was because UCPD chose to incur it.

• Anonymous

You’re assuming UCPD regularly schedules around-the-clock shifts for that many officers.  I could be wrong, but I doubt it.  I believe most officers only work in the daytime, with a smaller shift at night, and if needed they’ll work overtime until early morning.  And no matter what UCPD chooses to do, the irony is you and I end up paying for it, that is if you’re paying anything at all right now.

• Anonymous

Poooooosyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Anonymous

Um, grow up.

• jackterrier

GOO GOO GAA GAA MOMMY I POOPED MYSELF

• EarlBear

Of course UCPD staffs shifts round-the-clock.    The Berkeley campus is like a city within a city.  You’re not from here are you?  Never been here, have you?  Troll

• Anonymous

Everyone knows UCPD is available around the clock, but you didn’t answer my question about whether they staff THAT MANY officers around the clock.  It’s been too many decades since you’ve been at Cal I think.  In any case, even if I’m wrong about UCPD paying overtime the administration still called in outside police forces to help so students (and not you) will be paying for that.  And I promise you I am from Cal, but I’m not going to play your game of second-guessing people’s origins because you’re trying to use that to censor my free speech.  Ironic, isn’t it?

• Anonymous

No,  we’re not trying to censor you. We just want to remind you that you’re out of your element and also a troll.

I mean come on, you tried to use the SF Gate comments section as evidence.

• Dont Be Such A Moron

People who don’t agree with you aren’t trolls, dipshit. They’re people who don’t agree with you.

And Penguin is right. A fucking LOT of officers were getting paid OT for this.

• Anonymous

Oh that’s right EarlBear, to you cost is no issue since it’s always Other People’s Money.  You probably get a free ride with Cal Grants.  Freedom?  Liberty?  To camp and sleep in public?  Why not just do it at People’s Park?

Besides, the Civil Rights movement and Vietnam protests targeted legislators who had the power to change policies.  Your Occupy Cal protests target UC administration and UCPD who have no power to raise California taxes or cut social services to illegal aliens, so your protest is little more than a temper tantrum.  Go protest in Sacramento if you truly care for your cause, and save Cal some money.

• Anonymous

That’s a lot of strawmen and assumptions in two paragraphs.

No, in fact Calipenguin makes a lot of valid points that you can’t seem to address. How are confrontations with the police going to resolve any budget issues?

• Anonymous

Why do y’all project this liberal arts, Cal Grants taking vampire onto everyone that disagrees with you? It’s some kind of middle-aged boogey man.

How is sitting on your ass, nay-saying, going to improve the budget situation?

[Why do y'all project this liberal arts, Cal Grants taking vampire onto everyone that disagrees with you?]

Why do you project the Fox-news, xenophobic bigot label on everyone who disagrees with you? I bring up the liberal arts stuff for one particular reason: the vast majority of people taking those programs are NOT doing it because they have some great love or interest in English literature, art history, whatever. Some do, but those are the minority. Most majors in those courses simply lack either the ability or drive to succeed in much more academically demanding (and more compensatory in the private working sector) programs such as science or engineering, yet they think it’s some gross injustice when they can’t find a decent paying job once they leave school. Your incessant whining about “income inequality” falls on deaf ears for those of us who sacrificed a good chunk of our free time and deprived ourselves of engaging in various social/leisure activities when we were younger, because we understood the relation between our effort then and the outcome later in life…

• Anonymous

As a rational person who studied something “academically demanding” can you see the logical weakness of presuming to know why a majority of people might decide to major in the liberal arts? Your gut feeling as to what might motivate large numbers of people is not, in fact, a rational argument.

I get it. You worked hard. You made a lot of money. You sacrificed, studying instead of partying. All admirable qualities. 

But what you’re saying is fundamentally elitist. Are people who didn’t graduate from high school not allowed to protest? Or people who dropped out of college? Are veterans such as yourself the only people with the right to vote?

I don’t think the choice of major or the size of your pocketbook should preclude people from being politically active. 

You just called me narcistic and arrogant on another thread; but you’re here now saying, as a highly acomplished and hard-working (whatever it is you do), that people who didn’t work as hard or achieve as much as you are fundamentally inferior and shouldn’t have a voice. 
            Am I reading that correctly?

• Dont Be Such A Moron

You just got fucking owned Jack. At least have the balls to take it when you deserve it.

Eat shit and fuck off.

• Anonymous

Internet tough guy alert!

• Dont Be Such A Moron

Talking about yourself in 3rd person again, I see.

Why not go call people “poosays” some more? It’s sewper kewl!!

• vivahate

oh cool, blanket statements. Your generalizations are incomprehensible. It’s okay to be bitter, just take it out on your loved ones, not the daily cal.

Not blanket statements at all. I was quite specific w/r/t the group I was addressing…

• Guest

Sounds like the liberal arts freeloader bit hit home, then?

What does the university have to do with the budget situation?  Its funding allocation is decided in Sacramento.  Go protest over there — maybe the legislators will decide to cut funding to someone else instead.

• Anonymous

You must be new here.

You’re right. Guest, meet jackterrier. We give him the keys to the jail so he has a warm place at night to sleep off his binge drinking…

• http://www.facebook.com/charlotte.hallorancouch Charlotte Halloran-Couch

“How are confrontations with the police going to resolve any budget issues?”
            Why don’t you ask the police? They seem to be the ones who started the confrontation. The signs I see aren’t even about the cops. They are: about budget issues.

• EarlBear

I paid full price out of my own pocket in the 70s, back when it really was a Public University. The total cost per quarter then was $112.50 for fees plus $100 tuition, plus books and board, for a CA resident. A UC education then was a gift from the people of California to the Sons of California like it should be.  A Public education should be funded by the Public.  If you don’t get that, you don’t belong in the UC system. But I suspect you’re not or never were.  I think you’re an out of towner who followed a link from foxnews.com.

[I paid full price out of my own pocket in the 70s, back when it really was a Public University. The total cost per quarter then was $112.50 for fees plus $100 tuition, plus books and board, for a CA resident. ]

No, you did NOT pay “full price” – the taxpayers assumed a far larger share of the burden.

[A Public education should be funded by the Public.

Likewise, that same public has a right to determine how their tax monies are being spent, and many of us are fed up with the UC system screaming poverty when MILLIONS are wasted on crap like tuitions for illegal aliens, special “outreach” and “diversity” programs for boys who wear dresses and other people with various gender confusion issues, as well as the administration’s ongoing expenditures of  legal fees in their attempt to turn over a law supporting the majority wishes of the taxpayers in this state (Prop 209).

• Redblondehead

CA used to have an AMAZING education system, which provided the impetus for the massive growth in silicon valley, tech industries, financial services (bleh i know), and other engines of growth which powered CA to its strong economic position.  
            and oh yes, spending money to educate immigrants is WASTED? are you nuts?? or perhaps you’d prefer they turned to criminalism, or stuck with lawn cutting.  you’re a moron.  investing in the UC system is what made this state, and will UNMAKE it if people like you get their way.  randomly slamming people with confused sexual identities is also very kind of you.  like thats where the majority of the state’s budget is going.  so stupid.

• Anonymous

Stop using the word “immigrants” when Tony clearly was talking about illegal aliens.  Highly skilled LEGAL immigrants are a benefit to California as long as we don’t overdo H1B visas and replace American high tech workers.  However, low-skilled illegal aliens are NOT needed any more and giving them anything above a high school education is a waste of money because they can’t legally get a career-oriented job anyways.  If those illegal aliens don’t want to be stuck doing menial labor, then why do we need them here at all?  Aren’t they supposed to be willing to do the work we don’t want to do?  Or was that just a convenient excuse?

• Anonymous

poooooosssssyyyyy

• Dont Be Such A Moron

SSSHHHHHIIIIITTTTTT
            HHHHEEEEEAAAADDD

• Anonymous

fascisttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

• jackterrier

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD I’M FUCKING RETARDED!!!

Funny, but weren’t you just lecturing ME about the substance of MY replies? At least I can offer a coherent rebuttal, something rather lacking in your latest reply…

• Anonymous

I take that back. You can be substantive, but you’re selective as to what you respond to.

• jackterrier

EH! FUCK YOU TONY! YOUR A FUCKFACE!!!

Occupy is the best thing ever!!! Why should we have to have jobs or whatever just to make money??? The government owes us a living even if we don’t want to work! WE DESERVE IT!!!

• EarlBear

Of course the majority was paid by the state. That was the whole point of the post, you dumbass. Since you can’t read and comprehend, let me make it simple for you. Penguin suggested I paid nothing. I wrote I paid the full amount that was required of me to pay at the time from my own pocket. If you’d read the whole post before you went off, you’d know I wrote I know full well what I paid from my pocket  was a pittance compared to the full cost of my education. That’s why I wrote I received a gift from the people of California given to a Son of California. A cherished gift.   That’s the whole point of public education.   Public education should be nearly free. A gift.  But it appears you only want university of california educations for who you think is deserving.My guess is that’s probably white boys. You are a racist rube, probably in Georgia who wishes we could turn the clock back to the 50s – the 1850s.  Go back to your birther friends at gretawire.

See my reply above…

• Anonymous

Suppose a public university education is free.  What about the $500K salaries of distinguished professors?  The pension funds of unionized employees?  Those costs are skyrocketing PER STUDENT at two to five times above the rate of inflation.  You don’t have to be a math major to see that the situation is unmaintainable.  Even California’s Democrats refuse to pay higher taxes to support the status quo.  

• Anonymous

Let’s get back to the reality of 2011.  You said “Freedom has a price.”  Maybe we could afford it in the 1970’s when the middle class paid a larger share of California’s taxes (prior to Prop 13) but we can’t afford it any more.  All the extra police deployments will result in higher fees or service cuts since even Democrats don’t want to pay higher taxes for public universities.  You’ve already got your education so you won’t be paying the extra UCPD and external police fees that middle class Cal students will face.  I’m trying to save them some money, while you want them to remain idealistic (very noble of you) without truly solving their problems.

• vivahate

but they have the power to give themselves pay raises…..

• What’s New? Nothing

The Vietnam protest analogy doesn’t work because the intent of Occupy Cal is to reduce student fees, and so a protest that raises the cost of running the University is counter to the aim of lowering fees, since fees pay for the costs.

Vietnam protests had nothing to do with costs.

Apples and oranges, or in this case:  logic and fantasy.

• the devil

Nobody won anything. People lost their freedom. The police lost those peoples’ respect. There is no promise of things working out. Try something smart next time.

• Guest

“Whose university? Our university.”
    Then why the hell don’t you fund it properly?

• Brian Fejer

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

Originally, the First Amendment applied only to laws enacted by the Congress. However, starting with Gitlow v. New York, 268 U.S. 652 (1925), the Supreme Court has held that the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment applies the First Amendment to each state, including any local government.

• Chris23

Cool! What’s your home address? I know a bunch of people looking for a place to crash.

• Guest

So what?  Has any state or municipality enacted such a law?  People are absolutely free to speak, but that right confers no immunity if they take illegal actions.

• guest

maybe the 99% working in Sproul hall processing financial aid and admissions for students can finally get some work done in peace

• Guest
    • Guest

Note the notable absence of “abridging the right of people to establish camp on property owned by others”.  Some people seem to think that living in a tent on somebody else’s property is a freedom of speech issue.  It is not.

• Anonymous

By Jordan Bach-Lombardo | Senior [email protected]
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 5:00 am
    Updated Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 5:04 am
    ———————————
    After a lifetime of trial and error I think I just figured out that the key to time travel is oatmeal with strawberries…slightly under cooked…and a half-glass of orange juice, not from concentrate. 

I suppose this would be more meaningful if these posts were time stamped…so for the record it’s 4:07 am, November 17.

• Non-protester

So the cleanup actually happened on Thursday morning, correct?