Berkeley City Council appoints Christine Daniel as interim city manager

Current City Manager Christine Daniel will be moving to a job in Oakland in July.
Shirin Ghaffary/File

Berkeley City Council confirmed the appointment of Christine Daniel as interim city manager and approved the terms of her six-month employment contract at a special session Tuesday.

In September, current City Manager Phil Kamlarz announced his plan to retire after 36 years of service to the city of Berkeley and eight years as city manager. Soon after the announcement, Mayor Tom Bates and council members began discussing who would replace him, according to the mayor’s assistant Nils Moe.

“She is pretty familiar with Berkeley and how things work in Berkeley,” said Councilmember Kriss Worthington. “She has already dealt with numerous complex issues, and all of us on the council have been pretty impressed. Her outstanding work so far has won her the appointment of interim City Manager.”

Daniel has served as deputy city manager since 2007 and previously held the same position in Fremont. She has a law degree and was in private practice before taking on the role of deputy city attorney for Berkeley, a job she held for eight years.

Daniel, who was also recommended by Kamlarz to be his replacement, will soon be responsible for the oversight of an operating budget of $320 million annually. According to the city charter, the role of city manager is also to implement city policy and to administer the affairs of the city including the supervision of fire stations, police departments and all the department heads who report directly to the city manager.

“Ms. Daniel’s background has been excellent preparation for the position of Interim City Manager,” Mayor Bates said in a memorandum to the council.

Daniel will begin the position with an initial annual salary of $225,000.