General Assembly plans events in solidarity with UC Davis

Nineteen members of the Occupy Cal movement attended the general assembly Sunday night to finalize details for a campuswide sleep-out and plans for a solidarity movement with UC Davis.

The sleep-out — planned for Monday night on Sproul Plaza — is intended to continue the momentum of the Occupy movement and show solidarity with UC Davis students who have planned a rally on their campus Monday, according to a Facebook event.

Discussion was raised during the meeting about the possibility of police action during the sleep-out.

“(Police are) always a worry when we plan anything these days,” said Navid Shaghaghi, a senior at UC Berkeley.

According to the Facebook event, 283 people are currently planning to attend as of when this post was written.

The general assembly also discussed plans for sending UC Berkeley students to the UC Davis rally Monday. The van can hold 15 people, according to Shaghaghi.

Ergoat Oneiric, a Berkeley resident, announced a proposal for an open letter  — in solidarity with UC Davis — for the immediate arrest of the UC Davis police officer who pepper sprayed protesters, as well as the resignation of UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi.

“If we don’t here make a clear demand that this is unacceptable, then what are we doing here?” Oneiric said during the meeting.

The Open University strike and activities will also continue tomorrow on campus with a noon rally and discussion.

“This is an ongoing thing,” Shaghaghi said. “It’s not just us marching and then going home.”

Open University is planned to continue until the end of RRR — or dead — week, although the movement is most likely going to continue to the next semester, according to Shaghagi.

Occupy Cal is a continuous movement, according to UC Berkeley junior Francisco Luna.

“I’ve been here since that violent Wednesday, (mostly) spending the nights awake,” Luna said.