Yudof, student regents address police response to protests

Two days after controversy erupted over police action at UC Davis, UC President Mark Yudof issued a statement saying he will implement “a system wide response” to address police responses to peaceful protests on UC  campuses.

As part of this response, Yudof will convene all 10 campus chancellors for “full and unfettered discussion about how to ensure proportional law enforcement response to non-violent protest,” according to the statement.

In addition, Yudof expects the chancellors to forward to him all relevant campus police protocols — including mutual aid policies — which will be reviewed by a team of “experts and stakeholders” he assembles, according to the statement.

Yudof’s response comes amidst intensifying demand at UC Davis for campus Chancellor Linda Katehi to step down.
The calls for her resignation come as a result of the police response to a peaceful protest that occurred on the campus Friday. Video of an officer pepper spraying UC Davis students, who were sitting with linked arms in peaceful protest, has since gone viral and drawn nationwide attention and scrutiny to the campus.

Around the same time of Yudof’s statement, Student Regent Alfredo Mireles, Jr. and Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein issued a press release condemning police violence on campus and warning of the threats to students’ first amendment rights on campus.

“Campus administrators should know how to deal with peaceful protests, but as we have seen at Berkeley and Davis they clearly do not,” Mireles stated in the release. “We need system wide guidelines to help prevent future violence perpetrated against students.”

Though the similar timing of the press releases was purely coincidental, Mireles, upon reading Yudof’s statement, said he agreed with the actions being undertaken.

“It’s precisely what I lobbied the president to do,” Mireles said. “However, we need to see the results of the convening of the chancellors.”

Mireles added that the actions and concerns detailed in both press releases were the results of an ongoing discussion between the board, Yudof and himself.

In the meantime, Mireles said he expects to discuss Yudof’s “systemwide response” as soon as possible.

Read the full statements below.

From UC President Mark Yudof:

I am appalled by images of University of California students being doused with pepper spray and jabbed with police batons on our campuses.

I intend to do everything in my power as President of this university to protect the rights of our students, faculty and staff to engage in non-violent protest.

Chancellors at the UC Davis and UC Berkeley campuses already have initiated reviews of incidents that occurred on their campuses. I applaud this rapid response and eagerly await the results.

The University of California, however, is a single university with 10 campuses, and the incidents in recent days cry out for a system-wide response.

Therefore I will be taking immediate steps to set that response in motion.

I intend to convene all 10 chancellors, either in person or by telephone, to engage in a full and unfettered discussion about how to ensure proportional law enforcement response to non-violent protest.

To that end, I will be asking the Chancellors to forward to me at once all relevant protocols and policies already in place on their individual campuses, as well as those that apply to the engagement of non-campus police agencies through mutual aid agreements.

Further, I already have taken steps to assemble experts and stake-holders to conduct a thorough, far-reaching and urgent assessment of campus police procedures involving use of force, including post-incident review processes.

My intention is not to micromanage our campus police forces. The sworn officers who serve on our campuses are professionals dedicated to the protection of the UC community.

Nor do I wish to micromanage the chancellors. They are the leaders of our campuses and they have my full trust and confidence.

Nonetheless, the recent incidents make clear the time has come to take strong action to recommit to the ideal of peaceful protest.

As I have said before, free speech is part of the DNA of this university, and non-violent protest has long been central to our history. It is a value we must protect with vigilance. I implore students who wish to demonstrate to do so in a peaceful and lawful fashion. I expect campus authorities to honor that right.

From Student Regent Alfredo Mireles, Jr., and Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein:

Los Angeles, CA: University of California Student Regent Alfredo Mireles, Jr. and Student Regent-Designate Jonathan Stein vehemently condemn the police violence at UC Davis yesterday.

Coupled with the use of batons against peaceful student protestors at Berkeley on November 9 students feel that their right to protest is under siege.

“I am sickened by what is happening at our campuses,” said Mireles. “Basic 1st Amendment rights to free speech and assembly are being violated and this cannot stand.”

“The tragic and infuriating thing is that these events keep happening.” Mireles continued, “Campus administrators should know how to deal with peaceful protests, but as we have seen at Berkeley and Davis they clearly do not. We need system wide guidelines to help prevent future violence perpetrated against students.”

“Immediately, we need a review of the instances of aggression used on students, and accountability for all those that are guilty. Next, we need to study and implement best practices to prevent future use of wanton violence.”

“The fact that our students feel that they cannot peacefully protest without the threat of being assaulted by the police is completely unacceptable,” Stein said. “Students no longer their rights on campus any longer. We need a clearly articulated policy that lets every student know what they can do to make their voice heard, without worrying about retaliation by the police.”

Mireles and Stein are also calling for the Regents and the Office of the President to work with them to prevent any further violence. “There is a clear problem going on our campuses and we must all come together and act now,” said Mireles.

There is going to be a Rally at the Quad on Monday 11/21 at UC Davis that is being organized by Occupy UC Davis. Thousands of students will be in attendance advocating for the right for students to peacefully protest.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Charles-Moshier/1177281081 Charles Moshier

STOP EVERYTHING……  Petition the government to sit down with the OCW people and listen to their demands.  Listen to their needs and grant them the freedoms they deserve. 

From the progress of the Super committee on the deficit it is quite obvious that some still dont get it.  If SS or medicare is touched the Super Committee may be reduced to the inferior committee quickly. 

This needs to be stopped now before many lives are lost.  To the leaders of the House, Senate and Executive ……….please do something now.   To the Supreme Court, you monitor and make sure that what is done is in line with everyone’s Constitutional rights.

Just a plain old citizen

• Tony M

[STOP EVERYTHING......  Petition the government to sit down with the OCW
      people and listen to their demands.  Listen to their needs and grant
      them the freedoms they deserve. ]

Why? Because they are violent and will break things if they don’t get their way?

Sorry, but the Neville Chamberlain school of political appeasement never worked…

• Par For The Course

Charles J. Kelly, a former Baltimore Police Department
    lieutenant who wrote the department’s use of force guidelines, said …
    After reviewing the video [of the pepper spraying of UC Davis students]
    he observed at least two cases of “active resistance” from
    protesters. In one instance, a woman pulls her arm back from an
    officer. In the second instance, a protester curls into a ball. Each of those actions could have warranted more force, including baton strikes and pressure-point techniques.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45374977/ns/us_news-life/#.TsmUAvGyyI0

• consrcunts

Waterboard the bitches!  Pulling one’s arm back from a police officer warrants severe and unending consequences!

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

Newt Gingrich had some great comments to make regarding the Occupy types. I don’t agree with him on a number of issues and he’s certainly not my choice for a presidential candidate, but when he’s right, he’s right:

Gingrich to Occupy Wall Street:
    “Go Get a Job Right after You Take a Bath”

The movement “starts with the premise that we all owe them everything,”
    said Gingrich. And the movement’s sense of entitlement is a “symptom how
    much the left has collapsed as a moral system in this country, and why
    you need to reassert something as simple as saying, ‘Go get a job right
    after you take a bath,’” the former speaker of the House concluded.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/gingrich-occupy-wall-street-go-get-job-right-after-you-take-bath_609253.html

• ced

Newt Gingrich? Oh, I see.

So perhaps you would be more impressed with a quote from Cynthia McKinney or Sheila Jackson Lee, right?

• Guest

TROLLLLLLL

• Mama Miller

I knew I was not very impressed with Gingrich, now I know why.  The quote “Go get a job after you take a bath” is so far from portraying the true picture of Occupy protesters that it makes me mad enough to spit.  Has Newt Gingrich ever even been face to face with an actual Occupier?  Has he ever watched a march or a rally? I don’t see how he could have even a vague idea of what the typical Occupy protester looks or smells like, or he would realize how totally ignorant his statement sounds. Of course most of the protesters aren’t wearing 3-piece suits, and maybe some of them are unemployed right now, but most I have seen being interviewed on TV or being pepper sprayed are neatly dressed, intelligent, motivated citizens who do not look lazy or uncaring. It is soooooo easy to write the occupy movement off as being lazy, dirty people who want something for nothing.  That is very far from the truth.

• Tony M

[ The quote "Go get a job after you take a bath" is so far from
        portraying the true picture of Occupy protesters that it makes me mad
        enough to spit.]

Actually, it’s dead-nuts on target. My neighbor, classic lifelong Democrat liberal, made the comment to me “all these protesters look like twenty-somethings who live at home” – and the rest of the country knows it too. Unwashed, unkempt malcontents who never grew up pass the “give me what I want or I’ll throw a tantrum” phase in life…

• http://twitter.com/YanShamS Yan Sham-Shackleton

As
    a graduate of the UC system I am glad to hear this. I should have
    called the chancellor’s office to question and offer my disapproval for
    allowing this to happen. I will be a better alumni from now on. As UC
    students and graduates we do not defend football couches. We should
    defend the right to gather.

• Guenady

I’m with  you!  I graduated in 1977, and at that time I paid (as a california resident, in fact a native californian) a little over a hundred dollars per semester in registration fees.  And I bought my books and paid rent for accomdations.  A far cry from what it costs today.  Has the vocation of public service been forgotten?  Of course there have always been  those who could pay through the nose, but it wasn’t so long ago that any qualified californian could get a Berkeley education.  And that’s the way it should have been.  Not so today.  Seems like everywhere there is money to be made, some greedy people have snatched up the situation.  And it seems like they can pull the strings that bring out armed thugs and bullies like those we around the world see assulting peaceful protesters on UC campuses.  I don’t usually read the Daily Californian, but I found my way here because as a Berkeley grad I cannot see the videos and remain silent.  I hope all assaulted students make formal complaints of police brutality and thoes responsible for arming and unleashing them should pay with their jobs.

• Guest

No need to apologize too much, Mr Yudof.   Just do what it takes to get those fleabaggers off campus.

• What’s new

same old same old.    got anything new?

Do you? Come on, all you Occupy Whatever clowns have been engaged in the classic extreme left-wing tactic of obfuscating the issue, because dealing with the truth doesn’t support your personal agenda. Nobody here has said that students don’t have a right to protest or assembly peacefully – that of course is constitutionally protected activity. What seems to get conveniently ignored is that the Occupy movement in its short lifetime has already established a track record of NOT engaged in peaceful assembly, but in vandalism, inciting riots, fighting with cops, criminal activity including rape, assault, and at least one homicide to date, not to mention creating their little hobo camps full of filth and disease. As much dislike as I have for most of the UC administrators in general and the Cal campus bureaucracy in particular, they rightly saw the inherent health and safety risk associated with these campers, and chose to enforce the laws regarding squatting on public property. You can’t accept that basic fact, so you extrapolate it into some ridiculous statement that free speech is somehow being banned. Sorry, but those of us who are grown adults and learned how to accept personal responsibility a long time ago, don’t buy into your nonsense.

• ced

I did – it reads like the usual left-wing gibberish penned for the NYT crowd.

• ced

Sorry I wasted my time, Mr. Troll.

• Tony M

Listen, if you’re impressed by what’s posted in the NYT Op-Ed section and take it seriously, fine. However, all it does is show how removed from reality you really are. The typical NYT reader is along the lines of my aunt, an aging militant 1960′s feminist always anxious to show her solidarity with “the people” from her $500K condo in 138-10 Franklin in Flushing, or from her house on Clearwater Beach in East Hampton.  Typical out-of-touch New Yorker…

• Guest

TROLLLLLLLLL

• Guest

TROOLLLLLLLLL

• Anonymous

- “My intention is not to micromanage our campus police forces. The sworn officers who serve on our campuses are professionals dedicated to the protection of the UC community.”

I don’t think so, and I don’t think the University of California’s “sworn officers” understand the unique challenges, responsibilities, history, and context in which they work. This misunderstanding is facilitated by those who manage the University of California system as well as those who manage the Universities themselves.

• Yudof

this announcement would have been satisfactory had yudof announced his resignation and the resignation of all 10 chancellors, and the disarming of all uc police forces

Something that is not going to happen, just like tuition increases aren’t going to stop because you pitch tents and get into pissing contests with the campus cops.

• ced

Pissing contest? No, police brutality is the issue. Period.

You have obviously been way too coddled if you think that was “police brutality”, son. Maybe your mother made you wear dresses and play with dolls because she really wanted a girl?

• Some Dude

HAHAHA! Yeah, you’re a fag, ced!

(How was that? Am I doing this whole “being a stupid asshole” thing right?)

• Tiny M

no U R doing it wrong,
            just like a fag

• Guest

TROOOOOLLLLLLLLL

• Tiny M

TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL

• CalParent

Please get Psychiatric help.  For you to watch all of the films and come to the conclusion that it wasn’t police brutality even when the administrators themselves have acknowledged it is a clear break from reality testing.  There are many medications that can help.

[For you to watch all of the films and come to the conclusion that it wasn't police brutality even when the administrators themselves have
            acknowledged it]

Oh, come on now. You don’t recognize capitulation and weaseling when you see it? Politicians (and academics) do it all the time. More of the ongoing play-acting known as politics in Berkeley.

• Guest

Lol, the cops were swinging their batons to move people backwards and the students were play-act-falling down.

If the cops had been hitting them, they would be in the hospital, not mugging for tv cameras the next day.

Police brutality my ***.

• Tony M

As I have tried pointing out to this person posing as a “Cal parent”, Berkeley politics consist of a lot of posturing and play-acting by people who think street theatre is the way to communicate their various and sundry beefs with “the system”.

• Tiny M

TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL
        TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL TROLL

• UCMeP

Read more about the UC Davis Police offering a new course in authoritarianism:
    http://ucmep.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/uc-davis-police-offering-new-course-in-authoritarianism/

• Guest

the whole “ucmep” thing was played out six months ago.  find some new material or occupy a job.

Is that anything like the Stupidity Studies that is apparently your chosen major?

• Guest

THIS BITCH IS A TROLLLLLLLL

• Anne Schrader

amen

• ced

Finally, some leadership.

• http://www.facebook.com/bombus Kevin Gorman

Something from a UC administrator that doesn’t make me want to defenestrate them? Whoa.