Yudof to launch investigation into policing protocol

UC President Mark Yudof
Javier Panzar/Senior Staff
UC President Mark Yudof

UC President Mark Yudof announced Tuesday that he will launch a systemwide investigation into policing protocol on all 10 UC campuses in an effort to identify and amend policy in respect to protests.

Yudof said he intends to provide a comprehensive report of what happened Nov. 18 at UC Davis, when campus police pepper-sprayed protesters as they sat with arms linked on the campus quad.

Yudof has requested that William Bratton — former police chief in both Los Angeles and New York City and current chair of Kroll Consulting Company — “undertake an independent fact-finding of the pepper spray incident and report back the results to him within 30 days,” according to an announcement posted on Facebook Tuesday.

Charles Robinson, UC vice president and general counsel for legal affairs, and Christopher Edley, dean of the UC Berkeley School of Law,  have also been asked to oversee an investigation of campus police protocols in relation to protests throughout the system. The review will involve “visits to campuses for discussions with students, faculty and staff and consultation with an array of experts,” in the hopes that these efforts will lead to an all-around better practice for policing protests, according to the announcement.

State Assembly Speaker John Perez, D-Los Angeles, has requested an independent investigation into the events on UC campuses, the results of which would be presented to an advisory panel of students, faculty, staff and other UC community members.

• TheRichAreUglyToo

Everytime I look at that man I think: Oink, oink, oink.

• Anonymous

Bratton is the worst
    person to head this since he failed to get the Los Angeles Police Department
    out of federal receivership (i.e. federal scrutiny and oversight by a federal
    judge) and he was hauled into court numerous times because cops under his command
    kept beating people (including journalists with press credentials and cameras)
    during the protests in Los Angeles during his tenure.

LAPD was put in federal receivership many
    years ago as a result of the Rampart scandal where a whole division of the
    department, the Rampart division, became corrupt stealing money and drugs from
    the Evidence locker and framing people for crimes they did not commit. Several
    of the cops were tried and put in state prison.

After Rampart LAPD officers continued to
    beat up peaceful protesters in a variety of scenarios.

The ACLU kept hauling the LA Police Chief(s) into
    federal court and a plan was developed for reform with re-training and
    deadlines but the federal judge was not satisfied with the progress of the
    department.

About that time Bratton left the department.

• Anonymous

Sorry…that was Yudof with an “f”. Freudian slip. :)

• Anonymous

Did Yudog decide to launch this investigation  before or after the Governor of California, Jerry Brown, called him on phone to chew him out or after parents and faculty called him and Linda Katehi, Chancellor of UC Davis, screaming at them and demanding their resignation?

• Anonymous

Look out below.  Serious infection of RW talking points on display.

Those who inhabit the alternative world of fact free Faux Noise have been busy.

• Anonymous

Choosing Bratton is truly putting the fox in charge of the hen house.  5 years into his reign in LA his boys ended up beating up a KTLA news crew.  When he did an “investigation” he only disciplined the lower level officers.  He never took responsibility himself for his failure to have better procedures, tactics and training in place.

Read up on the May Day at MacAuthor Park in 2007 to learn more.

Now he works for DHS contractor Kroll and preaches worldwide about how to handle domestice demonstrations.  He’s seems to be big on preemptive action.

Police violence that we are seeing all over the country needs to be investigated, we need to make sure we can assemble to express our 1st Amendments rights to free speech without police violence. 

I’m a ’74 alum and remember when we could express ourselves without fear of police brutality.  I am shocked at what I’ve seen in the past few years.  We can’t let the Terrorists win.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

You can still express yourself without fear of “police brutality” if you’re not stupid enough to try to get in confrontations with the cops. However, if you’re the type of person who attends May Day protests, in all likelihood you’re a sympathizer of the Communist mindset that believes all protests should involve physical confrontations with the cops or other symbols of authority. Sounds like you’re an aging lefty still stuck in the mindset of your wasted youth…

• Anonymous

I’m actually a wealthy capitalist who still believes in 1st Amendment rights.  And yes even “commies” have the right to free speech.  And no, May Day is not confrontational unless you get wrapped in the pole.

Were do you people get these ideas?

• Guest

One surefire way to know that someone *isn’t* wealthy is that they say they are.

• Anonymous

There is no solution.  Protesters who resist arrest are looking for a violent confrontation because violence gets publicity.  That is why Occupy Cal linked arms and refused to let go… they were daring the cops to get violent with them.  Let’s examine everything UCPD can possibly do to protesters in a human chain who are resisting arrest:

1.  Leave protesters alone until the entire university ceases to function.
    2.  Pull a single protester at a time from their human chain.  This could result in bruises, cuts, broken bones and lawsuits.
    3.  Apply chloroform or sleeping gas to protesters.  This may result in death.
    4.  Use tasers to incapacitate protesters.  This could lead to cardiac arrest and death.
    5.  Use water cannons to knock down protesters.
    6.  Use batons to break the human chain.  Looks bad on Youtube.
    7.  Use pepper spray, tear gas, or other irritant.  Looks really bad on Youtube.
    8.  Give away free HDTVs and XBoxes to random protesters in the human chain.  But the moment he leaves, a hundred more students would jump in to get their chance to win.

Each option involves risks with varying degrees of success.  The only option the protesters want is #1, because when a minority of activists can cause tremendous inconvenience for the apathetic majority then they have succeeded in getting their message across.  UCPD cannot allow the entire school to be shut down, but it has no tools to arrest people that don’t want to be arrested.  If such tools existed, then protesters would find ways to circumvent such tools in the hope that injuries will occur, which would force the police to simply stop arresting protesters.

• Anon

They also know that instigating a violent clash will get the media on their side (“IF IT BLEEDS IT LEADS!!”) and force the administration into a defensive position where they are afraid to enforce campus rules because they don’t want negative publicity.

Protesters at Occupy Wall Street were actually throwing themselves under police motorcycles to try to get footage of “police brutality” to use as propaganda.

• Anonymous

You lie.

• Occupy Sucks

October 14th, 2011.
          Find the two videos of the police scooter “running over” a man’s leg.

In the alternate view, the one NOT used by the New York Post for their sensational video footage, you can clearly see the protester place his legs in front of the scooter wheel, and then move them behind the scooter wheel and scream that he had been run over.

• Anonymous

Are you serious?  Do you really believe that we no longer have 1st Amendment rights?  There was no reason but intimidation to try and provoke violence from non-violent demonstrators who don’t want tuition increases.  They were exercising their rights under our Constitution to voice their objections.

Now these violent actions by the UCPD have just made a lot more people mad and aware of the problems we have with our current police philosophy of intimidation.

The Police actions will also end up costing the University money because those who were beaten will win law suits against the illegal actions of these poorly managed and trained cops.

[Are you serious?  Do you really believe that we no longer have 1st Amendment rights? ]

Excuse me, but the First Amendment protects the acts of free speech and free assembly. It does NOT compel others to provide a forum,  nor does it give those protesters the right to trespass, vandalize, set up squatters camps, obstruct police officers exercising their lawful duties, or to get in confrontations with the cops. Get a clue…

• Anonymous

How can you “tresspass” on your own campus in the middle of the day?  There was no “vandalism”, so stop making things up or repeating the lies Rush tells you.

• Guest

Good post, calipenguin, but you forgot:

10.  Spray HIV-tainted bodily fluids on the protesters until they disperse.

• Disgusted

Get rid of the full police forces on UC campuses NOW! We don’t need them! Other colleges around the same size don’t have full police forces and they do JUST FINE.

UCPD has become more trouble than its worth. UCPD is a resource hog. UCPD is a demoralizing force on campus. UCPD is costing us millions in lawsuits. Get rid of it NOW. I am an alumnus and I will not give one more cent to the university knowing it’s going to support UCPD! And I speak for other alums as well!

• Anonymous

Yes you do.

• Guest

TRANSLATION: “Waaaah! UCPD won’t let me set up an illegal tent encampment on campus! Get rid of UCPD so that I can break the rules without repercussion!”

• Calipenguin

Uh, when people protest using non-violent civil disobedience, they know there is a chance they will face disciplinary and/or criminal charges for whatever laws/rules they are breaking.  However, given UCPD’s repeated use of ridiculous amounts of force, having previously concussed peaceful protesters and mutilating my friend’s hand (her finger needed to be surgically reattached), I think it’s fair to say that the UC administration has intentionally hired a group of people whose training endangers the safety of students.  We already have a municipal police force to deal with crime, we don’t need our own force.

• Stan De San Diego

Looks like another forged post. Why don’t you name your friend so we can verify whether what you saying is true or not?

• Stanthony Whiner

Possibly this is what is being referred to, the incident is not recent but Cailpenguin says “previously”…
            http://archive.dailycal.org/data/files/prbreportjune2010.pdf
            The protestor who filed the pending complaint admits that she had her left hand on top of a barricade when the officer ordered her to remove her hand, struck the top of the barricade near the place her hand was, and told her that he was not going to tell her again that she had to keep her hands off the barricade. She withdrew her hand for a moment, then put it back on the barricade. When the officer saw her hand where he had ordered her not to put it, he struck her (apparently without further warning) on the hand with his baton. The blow apparently broke two fingers in her left hand – injuries that she reports have required multiple surgeries to address.
            Because this incident is the subject of a pending complaint and involves isolable conduct by an individual officer, it is not appropriate for the Board, in this setting, to purport to make assessments of the conduct of either party.
            Also reported here at the time:
            http://www.mercurynews.com/occupy-oakland/ci_19306593

You suggest “forgery” but have no more support for that than Calipenguin provided for his/her claim. If you knew the name but nothing else, you still could not verify it the claim. How would you access the medical records? Now that you know it was the subject of a formal complaint, you might have something else to go on, but probably not.

I hear Tony M. lives in SD, say hello to him.

• Calipenguin

Thanks, yes, this is what I’m referring to. 

• Stan De San Diego

So you’re referring to an event that took place 2 years ago, not recently. Thanks for obfuscating the facts.

• Birgeneau Prince Of Fail

The CAMPUS ADMINISTRATION IS INCOMPETENT, and has FAILED in the past to TAKE ANY OF THIS SERIOUSLY.
    PRB Wheeler incident report came out 17 MONTHS ago.
    http://archive.dailycal.org/article/109667/report_criticizes_response_to_wheeler_occupation_p
    “The eight members of the independent board… issued a total
    of eight recommendations for the campus administration and 20
    recommendations for UCPD in order to facilitate a more cohesive and
    effective response to demonstrations on campus in the future.”
    “Birgeneau said in an interview that the campus will accept all of the
    board’s recommendations, touting that the campus has already enacted
    several of the board’s suggested practices.”
    “Celaya said UCPD has also made progress since Nov. 20, having already
    acted upon several of the board’s recommendations prior to the release
    of the report… ”

Only 2 months ago, an op-ed in the DailyCal:
    http://www.dailycal.org/2011/09/16/%E2%80%9Cout-gunned%E2%80%9D-campus-response-to-protest/
    “Now, more than one year since the report was issued… the campus community is
    unable to judge whether or not, or how, the administration has responded
    to or implemented the PRB’s recommendations.”
    “But the administration is long overdue in providing the campus thorough
    explanation of the changes it has made to its procedures for
    communicating with the multiple constituencies of the campus community
    during protest events, its oversight over law enforcement and mutual aid
    and its position regarding the protection of free speech and assembly
    on campus.”

• Disgusted

Why wasn’t this done a long time ago? Yudof does realize, of course, that they will need to investigate not just the November 2011 incidents, but the actions of UCB police and UCB administration (Student affairs) for the last several years.

• Anonymous

It wasn’t done a long time ago because police brutality on campus did not create the same public outcry as the Davis events have – in combination with the most recent UCB police baton incident, veterans with brain damage after being shot in the head point blank by Oakland PD, and general disgust at police response to OWS.

In short, it wasn’t politically necessary to investigate last year or the year before.

In light of there being no investigation until now, I believe the investigation is completely driven by politics and self-preservation instincts and has nothing to do with student safety, as claimed.

• Guest

Resign Yudof

• Alfonso the Great

Are you kidding? Being in a position of authority does not make Yudof the enemy, and treating him like it does only makes you look childish. Take a look at his actual record since he took over – I’m guessing you don’t really know anything he’s done except piss people off for not being poor – and come back with a good reason he should resign. 

• Alfonso Da Tard

his actual record?
        ok, $6.6 Billion disappeared in his office over 5 years with no accounting and he acted pissed when it was suggested that was a problem.

• Guest

Please cite a reliable source for this accusation.

• Alfonso Da Tard

My ass. That’s where I pulled those numbers from.

• Anonymous

He should resign because UCPD officers have repeatedly used excessive, violent force against student protesters, and he called for investigations and policy discussions only after it has become politically necessary to do so. 

He has put students at grave risk. It only takes pepper spraying one pregnant woman or rupturing one spleen or one unfortunate shove onto concrete steps for events to turn tragic, and I am certain that if something tragic were to happen, Yudof and Burgeneau would not be able to survive given the events on campus(es) over the past two years.

That is my basis for demanding Yudof and others resign.