UC Berkeley student briefly sets up tent on Chancellor’s lawn, moves to Sproul

UC Berkeley senior Alex Kim holds his cat Obi outside Chancellor Robert Birgeneau's campus home Thursday morning.
Kelly Fang/Staff

While most UC Berkeley students chose to head home for the Thanksgiving break, senior Alex Kim decided to do something decidedly different early Thursday morning.

Kim cancelled his plane ticket home and instead lugged camping equipment and his pet cat Obi to Chancellor Robert Birgeneau’s front lawn around 5 a.m. There he pitched a tent in solidarity with the Occupy Cal movement that has shaken the campus over the last three weeks.

Kim stayed on the lawn for about four hours until deciding to relocate to Sproul Plaza later Thursday morning.

Kim, who is taking a vow of silence until the New Year, said in a typed letter to The Daily Californian that he would appreciate a public apology from Birgeneau for the destruction of “creative property and personal property” when the Occupy Cal encampment was cleared out last week and “perhaps even an invitation to join him at his table tonight to make up for the fact that I broke my mother’s heart by canceling my plane ticket home.”

“In all seriousness, Our dear chancellor, Birgeneau needs to shape up or get out before we force him,” he continued in the letter.  “Occupy Cal has only been a beautiful community building activity and we all intend to keep it that way. It’s just too bad he doesn’t see it for what it really is. An awakening of our generation.”

Kim, an English major from Downey, Calif., has been on a self-imposed Internet-blackout since he was arrested last week when police officers cleared out the Occupy Cal encampment for the second time. He added that he has not listened to the audio-apology Birgeneau released Tuesday regarding police use of force at Occupy Cal but wanted the Chancellor to apologize again in a public setting.

Birgeneau, who sent the recording on his way to the East Coast for Thanksgiving, is not currently at his campus home.

As far as the encampment goes, Kim said in written messages with The Daily Cal that he would stay on the lawn of Birgeneau’s campus home until police arrest him. But around 9 a.m. Kim said UCPD officers approached his tent and asked him to leave the lawn.

“They said it’s a holiday and not to get arrested or give them trouble till (Monday),” Kim said.

So Kim obliged and moved his tent to Sproul Plaza Thursday afternoon. Setting up tents is against campus policy, but since police used batons and pepper spray to clear out encampments at Occupy Cal and Occupy Davis, the campuses have taken a more laid-back approach to enforcing the no-tent rule.

Regardless of what happens to him or his encampment, Kim said that he hopes to raise awareness for the elderly and disabled in California as well as to give thanks to the people who have been continuously occupying Sproul Plaza since Occupy Cal began on Nov. 9.

“This is mainly for them,” he wrote in the letter. “To show my thanks for keeping the occupation alive.”

Earlier in the morning — after spending close to 40 minutes driving stakes into Birgeneau’s lawn and fumbling with his tent cover — Kim expanded on his reasoning for continuing with the Occupy Movement.

“I continue to participate in protests because they are a means for opening up a space for discourse & discussion usually basically bringing people together – students, peers – people who would otherwise probably never know that they’d be so much on the same page. ”

Read the full text of Alex Kim’s letter: 

• Mikhael

My prayers are with you! I spent Thanksgiving weekend placing blessed candles at the four corners of Sproul Hall and slashing each of its faces with copious amounts of holy water. I hope this will keep the evils at bay and keep things nonviolent.

• Gabe

Lulz. The power of Christ compels you!

• Anonymous

just pathetic – this level of “deep thinking” and communication from a Cal student?

• Stan De San Diego

If there’s no working world for a student in a given course of study,
    then perhaps that person needs to change his or her major to something
    that will provide some semblance of marketable skills. At least that’s
    what the smart ones would do. The dumb ones won’t adapt, and instead
    whine about how life sucks because they are unemployable when they
    graduate and can’t do anything for which anyone else is willing to pay
    them.

Therefore, it’s a perfectly legitimate question to ask how
    in the heck did these people get into college in the first place, when
    they are clearly not very bright to begin with. Or perhaps dullness and
    academic mediocrity are specifically what the Left is looking for with
    “diversity”, because it’s easier to socially indoctrinate people who are
    intellectually limited and dependent on others to tell them what to
    think?

• F1r3f7y

all of you fucks that are sitting at home with your thumb up your ass stop being a yuppie piece of shit. be thankful that there are people out there willing to do these things that your to fucking scared to do. alex is one of the greatest people ive met in california. his enthusiasm is beyond the comprehension of you ignorant sons of bitches. so this leaves me with one question… is your head up your ass for the warmth or do you really just not  have a fucking clue…. WAKE UP. HELLA OCCUPY.

• Some person

Alex does not speak for me. He is not doing me a favor. I don’t have to thank him for anything because I don’t share your opinion. Guess what, not everyone agrees with you.

• Stan De San Diego

Actually, most of us are working people with real jobs. We don’t participate in this type of nonsense because it’s silly, nonproductive, and we’re too busy with our own lives. Only the grossly underemployed or otherwise non-occupied get involves in these childish tactics. The rest of us exercise our vote at the ballot box.

• Votegenius

You have spent too much time here Stan, you are getting less coherant. Your therapist is not on a student newspaper comment thread.  Your sentences are forming anymore..

how can you exercise a vote? You cast a vote. I have never been able to get my vote to exercise but I have exercised my right to vote.

• Stan De San Diego

You need to lay off the waterpipe, sober up a bit, and re-read what you just posted. You’re the one with the coherency issue here.

• Some person

Well, I’m glad he can afford to cancel a plane ticket, because I certainly can’t.

• guest

what a loser

• James

What the do nothing who types insults into message boards because he is so miserably embarrassed by his own failure to do anything with his life? Yah, that guy is a loser.

• Stan De San Diego

How about directing your comment at the person who posted “All you f-cks that are sitting at home with your thumbs up your *sses”? Or do you conveniently overlook that because that person has the same goofy views as you do?

• guest

pretty sure he’s the one doing nothing with his life. nothing will come of any of demands. gauranteed

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

Seems you do your share of insulting as well, so take the selective indignation and shove it…

• Guest

What the fuck is up with Kim’s letter?!   The guy’s an 
    English major, right?  

• Guest

He’s not at Cal to study.  He’s there to “protest” and will likely be sitting in a tree somewhere 5 years from now.  English major, or academics generally, are all secondary.

• Stan De San Diego

“He’s not at Cal to study.”

Bingo…

Yep, Alex is one of the typical narcissistic ass-clowns who pisses and moans about the same “system” that pays most of the bills for him to be at Cal. Most likely he will wash out or drop out along the way, and wind up another resident of the moral and intellectual black hole known as the “activist community” in Berkeley: perpetual camp followers and hangers-on who seek refuge in that reality-free zone bordered by Ashby, El Cerrito, the hills and the Bay, because nobody will give them the time of day (much less a job) in the real world…

• “Real World” Means “Nothing”

Most of the activist comunity doesnt live where you are talking about genius. Try Oakland troll. In fact most of the people from the activist community who wants jobs/need jobs are able to get them because of that community and thus have the ability to help others and organize/teach the populace becoming interested in change.

“perpetual camp followers and hangers-on who seek refuge in that reality-free zone” this sounds like most students at Cal. I’m sorry but joining an Asian American culture club, or 4 different ones is not reality, fucking girls in the extra room of yer frat house on the regular is not reality, working under a Nobel prize winning scientist isnt reality. None of these are reality in yer supposed “real world”. They become reality because thos zone you mention which merely happen because college exists. I bet yer days in college were “super real” like the “real world” with “real problems” and “real money” and “real situations” and the “real time of day”.

• Stan De San Diego

So in other words these activists don’t have real productive jobs, given that they are “professional” activists, right? Thanks for clarifying that for me.

• http://anonymoustroll.myopenid.com/ anonymous

This man is either incredibly disturbed or a hilarious performance artist.

• TrollSlayer

Oh, you mean like you?

You seem to take easy offense as you attack various other posters, but you can’t seem to offer any intelligent or reasoned explanation on how you think Alex Kim’s actions are going to make any type of positive change. You taking the criticism of Alex as a personal affront to your own self-worth or what?

• anonymous

I took a pretty big shit today. How about writing an article on that.

• Guest

Hi occupier! im not proud of u cos i think ur a wast of time. its prety sad. u hav no marketable skils an ur jus crying to momy

• Tony M

By the way, the above poster has the intellectual capabilities of Tony M and is a master of English grammar. So much for marketable skills.

• Stan De San Diego

Does Tony M refer to himself in the third person, or did you forget who you were impersonating?

• James

The country is crumbling, you’re doing nothing.

• Stan De San Diego

Actually, I’m working and paying taxes to support you crybabies. If you don’t think that matters, many of us would be happy to give you the opportunity to find out what the alternative is like. How about if you stop attending college, stop accepting financial aid, and any other of the myriad activities that involve sucking of the financial teat of the 53% in this country who work and pay taxes. I would certainly be happy to keep a bit more of my own money, given I probably pay more in taxes than you make.

I can assure you that with the exception of what I am about to post, the real Tony M does not… :O)

• James

You need to stop watching so much television.

• http://twitter.com/Amerimuslima PKT

We are proud of you Alex for setting up on Birgeneau’s lawn! Wish he was not on the East Coast with his children and grandchildren as he said in his message. My kids were thrilled to see Obi the Occupy Cal mascot. Thanks for continuing to challenge, it wouldn’t be Berkeley without you guys.

• Stan De San Diego

Alex is a misguided young man, who has embraced symbolism over substance. I would be more embarrassed that he represents the current mindset of Cal students, who don’t seem to have clue how to come up with constructive methods to address issues.

• James

And what good are you? Sitting on your butt in front of a computer, doing nothing. Nice work on the fiddle Nero!

• Stan De San Diego

Actually, I’m not at home, and am currently taking a break at work, where I have spent all day (and this is Saturday) trying to configure and troubleshoot a network communications system for a prototype piece of equipment (specifically, configuring a 2-wire RS485 MODBUS system so the AC drives and the position encoders can communicate to a PLC used to run a 2-axis solar tracker). While many of you malcontents have been taking the weekend off, I have been wiring panels, writing software, poring through manuals and trying to keep a project on time and on track that will (hopefully) provide our company with an enabling technology to reduce the cost of concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) solar power by tracking the sun more accurately and making the cells work more efficiently. In return, I get a paycheck, of which 28-30% disappears right off the top to pay federal and state taxes, INCLUDING the college tuition of some student in the UC system. Meanwhile, your attention-starved hero camps out in a tent with some grand illusion that he’s going to change the world in the process. Who’s being more productive again?

• Guest

You just owned James pretty hard there, Stan.  Unfortunately, he’s not going to understand half of what you just wrote.

Tracker tech is cool, I’m associated with similar stuff.

• TrollSlayer

Hey Stan of San Diego. Can you please STFU already aspie retard? Don’t make me ask u again.

Did you have anything of substance to offer, little boy? Didn’t think so. How about leaving the computer and letting the grownups post for a change?

• What’s new

Troll slayer?
            Wow — have a high opinion of yourself, don’t you?  Well, at least one person does.

• Whiner

So you decided to go on a pathetic student newspaper website to make yer voice heard and to let our yer emotions anonymously on the internet/troll types of people you dont like? I think you might want to see a therapist instead..

Doesnt seem productive for you to soothe yer, apparently, very troubled mind (over this matter) to waste time futzing around on the internet when you could/should be working. Why do you need a break? Not tough enough to work all day? I mean you took a break how is that working “all day (and this is Saturday)”.  Cause no one else works saturdays… whine more, while some students work two jobs, and go to school. Everyone has a problem but not everyone solves it by going on the internet to a student newspaper. At least this kid is in physical reality.

There are real people slaving all day in some parts of the world and all you can complain about is how you have a job that you  work saturdays. The feelings of entitlement run deep apparently haha. Entitled Whiner.

• Stan De San Diego

So you object to the fact that I’m posting on this site because I should be working? Sorry, but freedom of speech isn’t just for whiny malcontents. Those of us who work for a living have a right to express ourselves as well. As for my comment about working Saturdays, I certainly wasn’t whining or complaining about it, just making a statement of fact. I work most Saturdays because I understand that’s what’s necessary to get ahead.

As far as Alex being in “physical reality”, that’s hilarious. However, I do note that you’re projecting a lot of your issues on me, so I have clearly struck a nerve. But then again, narcissistic injury is a common attribute of the Left.

• Guest

Someone do a little investigative reporting here.  What is Alex Kim’s GPA at Cal?  And what did his high school teachers think of him?

• Meh

suggesting the DailyCal should illegally access confidential student records… naughty naughty

• James

Get over yourself, what good are you? Where is your compassion for your fellow man? What are yo doing that benefits people other than yourself?

• Stan De San Diego

Alex Kim is doing close to NOTHING that will benefit anyone else, and you’re not far behind him in that respect. Just a classic example how the Left values symbolism over substance…

It’s a valid question, given that most students taking serious courses of study have to bust their asses at Cal, and don’t have time to waste on nonsensical crap like pointless protests that will achieve zip-point-shit in the long run. But then again, if your goal is to use your admission as a one-way ticket to a life of being a professional protester in Berkeley, go for it.

• GiveMeFactsGenius

Some people do bust their ass, study and do well and are protesters. Can you provide ANY FACTS across a large sample segment of the protest population to support your claims? NO.

But i can provide one counterargument. I know at least 3 protesters who have slept at Occupy every night and have a 3.9 and higher. Me and my brother who have participated also have 3.6’s and high, are actively involved with research with some of the best in our field (B Wade in musicology for example), and are in multiple clubs and community service organizations.

• Stan De San Diego

“Some people do bust their ass, study and do well and are protesters.”

And most of those people are taking the usual coursework of various and sundry “victims studies” programs where it’s probably considered extra credit. Fine, but once again, what type of job are you going to get if your future employer thinks you spent most of your time at Cal protesting?

• Perfect

Some schools produce Rhodes Scholars.  Berkeley produces Alex and his cat.  Ladies and gentlemen, introducing a future Unabomber.
    This school is really going to the dogs.

• Imperfect

Granted Alex Kim is a whack job, but you just revealed your total ignorance about Kaczynski.
      You should read the unabomber manifesto, Ted hated leftists:
      http://cyber.eserver.org/unabom.txt
      Some Choice Quotes From Teddy K.
      “Those who are most sensitive about “politically incorrect” terminology are not the average black ghetto-dweller, Asian immigrant, abused woman or disabled person, but a minority of activists, many of whom do not even belong to any “oppressed” group but come from privileged strata of society. Political correctness has its stronghold among university professors, who have secure employment with comfortable salaries, and the majority of whom are heterosexual, white males from middle-class families.”

“The leftist is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior. But the leftist is too far gone for that. His feelings of inferiority are so ingrained that he cannot conceive of himself as individually strong and valuable. Hence the collectivism of the leftist. He can feel strong only as a member of a large organization or a mass movement with which he identifies himself.”

• Guest

So why don’t we see these “whack jobs” camping out at Harvard or MIT?

• Justinrcohn

The Unabomber went to Harvard.

• Guest

Sure, 1 guy in decades.  I’m talking about a student movement. 

If the Occupy movement really wanted to do something, they’d be visiting Harvard (endowment: $35 B) or Stanford (endowment: $15 B) rather than hanging out at Berkeley (endowment: $3 B).  Why protest against the have nots?  Bring the movement to the haves!

• Readthenews

There was an occupy harvard, dont you “worldly” conservo-internet-trolls know how to read the news?

As much as I think Kaczynski is a dangerous wacko who needs to be locked up for life, his analysis of the hard left isn’t that far different from that of some noted psychologists who have noted how the narcissistic insecurity of leftists in general.

• James

Wow, who has lost their grip on reality now?

• Ridi Culous

Alex has the right to do this!  In fact, he has the right to move into the Chancellor’s home and sleep in his bed!  After all, WE own the Chancellor’s home!  Power to Alex and the Occupy movement!!!

• Rolling Eyes

Using your logic we should be able to walk into a police station, borrow their guns, and go do some sharp shooting. We should be able to walk into a fire station and drive around in the fire engines. We should be able to walk into a library and borrow books at all hours of the day. We should be able to go into a military camp and drive the tanks around.

• Guest

Not necessarily, because though we DO own those things, using them would endanger the lives of others (i.e. shooting guns, joyriding fire trucks, driving around tanks…ummm….hitting someone over the head with a book at 1:00am??), which is not, euphemistically, a socially responsible thing to do. That’s why we as a society commit resources to train firemen how to drive fire trucks to put out our fires and train librarians to keep random lunatics from hitting each other over the head at 1:00am with a hardbacked copy of Paradise Lost.

Actually the reason that we can’t borrow books at 1:00am is because the “99%” doesn’t have enough money or demand to employ a librarian that late, and they don’t want some crazy libertarian or something to go in there when no one’s around and start burning books or something, so the library changes to a state called “closed” at those times. So it’s  kind of unrelated to the other things you were saying.

You don’t own them. The public, as a whole, does.

• James

Why does the 99% have to pay for everything when don’t even have close to 99% of the money? Is that a fair question to ask?

• Stan De San Diego

Except for the fact that in reality the “99%” is NOT paying for everything. In fact, the top 1% of all income earners in this country pay more in state and federal taxes than the bottom 90%. In fact, 47% of the adults in this country are NET RECIPIENTS of government largesse, and therefore aren’t really paying anything. You have NO clue how things roll in the real world.

• James

And using your logic we should not be able to set foot in a public park without a plan to make taxable income there. We should shut down all libraries and public schools for being blatantly socialist and we should give the police the right to stop and handcuff anyone who rolls their eyes on public sidewalks. 

So, people on the right don’t ever get jokes? Can they still have fun I wonder? Or do they fully understand that they aren’t having fun the entire time they are pretending to.

• Anonymous

English major. Support our tropes!

• Guest

This guy (and his text) are freaky.  The utter fringe of a flawed movement.  Getting way out of hand. 

The admissions department really needs to tighten things up.

• Guest

No, he’s not the fringe. He’s got enough spirit to keep everyone going at Occupy.

• Disgusted Alum

“The admissions department really needs to tighten things up.”

Yeah right, UC Berkeley admissions should discriminate against students because of their political orientation/activism. Nincompoop.

• Guest

The administration takes active political positions.  Hell, Birgeneau declared that the DREAM Act and opposition to Prop 209 are “common goals” in a university community where many, many don’t agree with him (not to mention the California public whom the school is putatively meant to represented).

• Tony M

DREAM Act… another story. No marketable skills, those illegal immigrants.

• Anonymous

Actually your masters want H1b workers in place of Americans.  Wake up and join the 99 before your job is outsourced too.

• Anonymous

So are you saying the 99% do not include legal immigrant workers?  In that case, the name should be changed to the 95%.

Liberals are awesome. Highly skilled H-1B workers=bad. Illegal immigrant 3rd world peasants=good.

Don’t try to reason with them. They’re idiots. Or maybe not–I suppose the third world peasants will elect our liberal friends to office.

The only people who are the “masters” in a market-based economy are the customers.  Nobody forces you into slavery or involuntary servitude when you take a job. You are always free to seek employment elsewhere if you think you’re getting a raw deal.

• Coalition of Immokalee Workers

Untrue. Slavery still exists in this country. Think a little bit more broadly about real job choice and privilege of being able to seek new employment. 

http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/21/your-tomato-possible-ties-to-slavery/ 

• Stan De San Diego

Another lefty who confused having marketable job skills with “privelege”.

• Stan De San Diego

Those illegal aliens compete against unskilled native citizens, and the way things are going, some of those Race/Gender Studies people who find themselves unemployable and competing with illegal day labor are going to wonder why they were so warm and fuzzy about the idea of not enforcing immigration laws.

• Anonymous

Dream Act….keep the input up of Cal kiddies to race, gender, ethnic studies programs.

Never mind my troll/impersonator there…

• Stan De San Diego

No, but perhaps if there wasn’t this emphasis on bringing in under-performing students in the name of “diversity”, we would not have the situation where such students are channeled into all these low-end “victim studies” courses that are nothing more than political indoctrination, because they don’t have what it takes to major in more intellectually demanding programs geared around math and the sciences. These people don’t acquire much in the way of job skills, yet seem to have their skulls crammed full of whatever Politically Correct idea is in vogue during the time that they attended Cal.

• Pinkycanela

It’s because of people like you that Prop 209 passed; what makes you better than this hypothetical student you’re talking about? You’re basing your whole portrait of this student on assumptions and made-up facts. You are obviously the one that hasn’t acquired the most basic of job skills: DO NOT GENERALIZE.

• Stan De San Diego

???

• TrollSlayer

Nope. You’re just under the delusion that your major and your grades/SAT scores make you a better candidate. What, are you a freshman? Wise up and get with the program. You’re not in high school anymore (or are you?)

At the end of the day, it’s going to be your ability to collaborate & network with others, as well as your research/field/internship experience that’s going to be more important than GPA/SAT scores.

• Stan De San Diego

Actually, I graduated years ago, and would estimate that I have been gainfully employed or otherwise productively occupied about 85-90% of the time since then, in work or various projects related to my course of study. I have been paying taxes and supporting myself as well. That would seem to be reasonably successful as far as most people are concerned. On the other hand, when the UC system is admitting people who are clearly not college material, with a considerably higher than average drop-out rate, it would seem quite clear that those of us who made it through the program we signed up for were far superior candidates than those brought in on the “diversity” program, and should be the ones receiving priority in terms of both admission and financial aid. That would make sense to most rational thinking people,  even if it go against the leftist ethos that people can be molded to meet the expectations of social experimenters if we merely provide sufficient indoctrination.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Daniel-Werst/1318164479 Daniel Werst

but let’s think about this.
      assuming anti-OWS people have it right and Occupiers are, for the sake of argument, foolish and deluded,
      shouldn’t the response be to point and laugh at their nonviolent protest?
      instead UC police club and pepper spray them.

• James

Your response should be to write a letter to the Chancellor and say: “I would love to pay more money for tuition, it is way too cheap as it is and you clearly are not making enough money. And who needs student loans? Let the poor people starve! They shouldn’t be allowed an opportunity, even one that will leave them in debt to the banks for the next 15 years”.

That would be the appropriate response.

• Claude

you make it sound like you’d be in favor of eugenics

• Yvette Felarca

Birgeneau should issue his resignation immediately–he admitted that he is responsible for the police brutality against students and protesters at UC Berkeley, and all that to enforce the policies of the 1% that he caters to. Alex, do you need us to deliver you some Thanksgiving dinner? One place for you and one plate for Obi.

• Guest

So nice to hear from a Berkeley graduate who has never done anything constructive in her life.  How many lawsuits have you filed against your own school?  Ridiculous.  We should be cultivating alumni loyalty and support in a time of unprecedented budget cuts, and we get BAMN instead.  Thanks for helping to further drain what little resources the University has.

• Disgusted Alum

So nice to hear from “Guest” who doesn’t have the balls to put his/her real name to the mindless character assassination of Yvette Felarca. Most likely, you’re just an administrative hack…the type of administrative hack who’s alienating alum loyalty and support. I am an alumnus who will contribute NOTHING as long as I think this money is going to support a repressive police force and a repressive administration.

• Guest

You’re an admissions mistake.  You’re also an alum who never would have given the University a cent to begin with, because you don’t “believe in that kind of thing”. You Disgusting, are the reason that Berkeley is getting killed by the elite private schools. 
          The saddest thing is that Birgeneau actively encourages students like you to be admitted and enroll.

• Disgusted

Guest, obviously you’ve now crossed the line into certified delusional thinking. The fact is, you know nothing about me. You must be projecting your own feelings of inadequacy. Is it that YOU believe you are an “admissions mistake”? Is that what this is about? I’m sorry you feel that way.
            (btw, I got my undergrad degree from Dartmouth,one of these so-called “elite private schools,” with honors upon honors upon honors, so I hardly think I was an “admissions mistake” at Cal) 

• Guest

Your first response to my post:

“Most likely, you’re just an administrative hack”

And I”M the one who jumps to conclusions or paints unfounded character portraits?

Hypocrite.

• TrollSlayer

go fuck yerself. than get a life, psycho loser

• Guest

Let me guess: nationally ranked debater in high school?

When people run out of intelligent arguments, they resort to profane personal attacks.  Sound like someone you know?

TrollSlayer is in all likelihood the same character who uses a half a dozen aliases and impersonates other posters. Just a typical example of the children here who are used to having their way, and can’t handle the fact that others have the right to express differing points of view.

• Disgusted

Hey “Guest,” so I’m curious. What kind of student did you think I was to say that I’m an “admissions mistake” and would lower the standards at Cal…the “kind of student” Birgeneau actively encourages to be admitted. A minority? Someone from a lower socio-economic background? You are a racist, classist, repulsive, delusional troll. Please go die in a fire.

• Stan De San Diego

“Racist”, “classist”. How original. Yawn.

• TrollSlayer

Stan of San Diego: don’t u have anything better to do than post flames non-stop on the daily cal? quit being a cal student wannabe. get a life & FUCK OFF loser.

Looks like some child got lost the argument and is throwing a widdle tantwum. LOL!

• Stan De San Diego

You’re seriously lecturing ME about flaming?

Cognitive dissonance at work.

• Stan De San Diego

Looks like I hit a nerve with someone who thinks squatting in a tent is the way to solve all the problems of the world.

• Stan De San Diego

Yawn again.

• Stan De San Diego

More insults from someone who can’t even articulate the supposed results of the same behavior he is desperate to defend. Double yawn.

• http://twitter.com/Amerimuslima PKT

Thank you alum! One thing that concerned me after the beatings was where the voices of the people who financially support the university ie. alumni and parents were. I am glad to see some refusing to support such admin and procedure.

• Guest

Also, how is my characterization mindless?
          Felarca, Cruz, Jeffrey…what have these people done?  What has BAMN actually accomplished.  It’s an organization based on negativity, on tearing things down.

You all need to take a tip or two from the likes of Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg or anyone who actually produces something for a living.  Being a professional protester is, well, pretty lame!  And if you MUST protest, do it where it matters.  Go to the Middle East, or Africa, where women and children are deprived of the most basic rights and liberties.

• Guest

Being a corporate sellout like Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg isn’t everyone’s goal in life. Stop being an unquestioning hack and demand more of those running this university. Trying to defend/fluff the regents’ actions does nothing

• Stan De San Diego

Being a parasitical crybaby who demands handouts from the taxpayers isn’t everyone’s goal in life either. Whether you care for Jobs, Zuckerburg, et. al., at least those 1%ers you deride provide some good or service others voluntarily pay for, create jobs, and pay taxes. Seriously now, what have any of you whiners ever produced of value?

• Pinkycanela

I think you’re forgetting “enslaving people in China” to Steve Jobs job description. Why are you admiring on two individuals who did not create anything new and just turned someone else’s ideas into a more marketable product? Really? You’re defending these kind of people instead of those who have a good heart and who stand up against these bloodsucking money-hungry assholes?

• Guest

Facebook wasn’t new?  The iPhone wasn’t new?

You pretty much lost all credibility. 

• Stan De San Diego

While you’re ripping on Steve Jobs, do tell us. How many patents do YOU have? How many people do YOU employ, or have ever employed? I’m guessing a big fat zero on both of those…

Accusing successful, productive people of being “corporate sellouts” is the usual tactic of useless malcontents. Somehow they think they are being ideologically pure by not working or otherwise producing anything of value, and use this as a way to justify being professional parasites…

• EnjoyYerSubjectivity&Polemics

But forcing yer workers to sign a no-suicide contract is pretty bad. For someone so great it seems weird he would tacitly support that going on. It may suggest a lack of character which I think is what people are arguing about, not “productivity” “value” “worth” “wealth”, completely subjective things measured in completely subjective ways that are not based in the reality of the human that evolved to live in this world aka dont fit their EEA.

• Stan De San Diego

“But forcing yer workers to sign a no-suicide contract is pretty bad.”

Clearly you have been smoking your underwear again. Is this what you do when you can’t win the argument?

• Disgusted

“Also, how is my characterization mindless?”

The same way your characterization of me is mindless. Or should I say delusional.

[Also, how is my characterization mindless?
            Felarca, Cruz, Jeffrey...what have these people done?]

Not that Disgusted cares… it’s more about having Politically Correct ideas than achieving tangible results.

• Disgusted Alum

Agreed. Birgeneau should go. Even more so than Chancellor Katehi, who seems to be somewhat more sincere and engaged in addressing the problems. All we get from Birgeneau is a weak dispassionate “apology” that insults our intelligence. Did we get an apology from Birgeneau for the equally repressive actions of the administration and police in fall of 2009?

Also, Vice Chancellor Harry Le Grande and Student Affairs staff should go too; in all honestly, they are probably more directly responsible for this mess than is Birgeneau.

• ASKim

look at the responses you created :D

• Student 2

Is this really important to anybody’s life?

• Anonymous

Yes, when nonviolent protesters exercising their First Amendment rights are rammed in the gut by riot batons wielded by the university police, it’s very important. To all of us. 

• ROFLcopter

Camping/sleeping on someone else’s property is not a First Amendment right.

• Guest

That’s why it’s called a protest. Civil disobedience is one of a social movement’s main tools in showing their discontent with the current state of the world and presenting their grievances, and suggesting alternatives. Show me one successful rights movement in the past that succeeded WITHOUT civil disobedience and I will be impressed.

• ROFLcopter

Disobeying a perfectly legitimate law as an expression of moral outrage at other laws makes no sense. Occupy Cal is not a social movement protesting the illegality of camping on public (and private) property. Expressing moral disapproval of fee hikes, cuts, layoffs, prop 13 and prop 209 and then claiming the badge of civil disobedience by breaking a randomly chosen legitimate law (in this case, anti-lodging ordinances) is absolutely ridiculous. 

I’d also like to take a look at Occupy Cal’s demands: 
            “Respect Free Speech, Including the Right to Set Up Tents.” The right to set up tents is not protected by free speech. “Make UC Berkeley a Sanctuary Campus for Undocumented People. Pass the UC-wide Dream Act.” They support undocumented people attending a PUBLIC University, receiving financial aid from the same pool (which, due to state budget cuts, is dwindling every year) as legal US citizens.Local Demands”Respect Free Speech, Including the Right to Set Up Tents.” The right to set up tents is not protected by free speech.”Make UC Berkeley a Sanctuary Campus for Undocumented People. Pass the UC-wide Dream Act.” They support undocumented people attending a PUBLIC University, receiving financial aid from the same pool (which, due to state budget cuts, is dwindling every year) as legal US citizens.
            “Reverse the Fee Hikes, Cuts, and Layoffs To At Least Their 2009 Levels.”
             The University is facing funding cuts from the State. You cannot possibly demand a suspension in fee hikes, cuts and layoffs while expecting the quality education to remain constant. The money has to come from somewhere. I agree that the administration should be reworked and smarter funding cuts made, but the simple fact is that fee hikes, cuts and layoffs will continue as long as State funding is cut.Full Implementation of Affirmative Action. Overturn Prop 209.This is just funny :)

• Stan De San Diego

The contradictory stances taken by these protesters are simply reflections of the cognitive dissonance of the Left, and the reason why most people out in the working world are not taking them seriously.

• James

There is no working world for architects, yet the student loans still need to be paid. If you lost your job and couldn’t pay rent and didn’t have parents to bail you out, who would take you seriously? 

How can conservatives claim to be Christian when their compassion is DEAD.

• Stan De San Diego

If there’s no working world for a student in a given course of study, then perhaps that person needs to change his or her major to something that will provide some semblance of marketable skills.

• James

Wow, you made up a lot of “quotes” to get your point across. Couldn’t do it with facts?

• Stan De San Diego

No, a protest is when you peacefully assemble, march around with your sign, pass around your petition, make your speech, then clean up and go home at the end of the day because you’re a responsible citizen. Protesting does not necessitate squatting, disobeying lawful orders from the police, or engaging in physical confrontations. The people who do that are clearly not your average citizen exercising his/her free speech rights, but professional agitators and malcontents who don’t have real jobs or real responsibilities. To throw your support behind such people is indicative of poor judgement, and one more reason you should not be taken seriously by those who work and pay taxes.

• Sad

I think the reason for the camping is simple attention, to spotlight the cause. There are marches and protests all over the country, but they’re only covered in ‘mass media’ if it fits the agenda. People have realized that standard protests don’t really make an impact, so they turn to civil disobedience, which tends to demand attention rather than politely ask for it (think civil rights).
            And I don’t think anyone can argue that Occupy hasn’t demanded a lot of attention. Whether for good or bad, it is an effective method of ‘getting the word out’.

• James

Civil disobedience, look it up. Learn something from something that is not a television for once.

• Guest

Mahatma Gandhi, look him up.

He never used civil disobedience as a “tool” for mere agitation.  Every act of civil disobedience was accompanied by a discrete set of demands.   Without that, the civil resister has lost moral worth.  You can’t offer a “no-win” situation. 

Good point. Protesters such as Gandhi and MLK had clear agendas and focused goals. The Occupy Whatever types just appear for the sake of protest…

• James

i think it’s only important if you care about escalating tuition prices and you understand where that money is going. If you don’t care about anything, then you probably don’t care about this either.

Sorry, those who genuinely care are interested in looking at the root causes and coming up with solutions, such as a more critical evaluation of the UC budget to see if there isn’t some fat or waste that could be cut to minimize or perhaps eliminate  these tuition increases. Some of also believe a re-evaluation of the UC system’s priorities are in order, and that admissions should be based on those students most likely to succeed and graduate, not skewed for the sake of pushing some social agenda. This is what rational adults do: analyze the problem, establish their priorities, propose a workable solution, and use a public forum (media, meeting, even peaceful assembly when needed) to deliver a focused, coherent message to win others over our point of view. We understand that because that’s how we resolve issues in the real world, whether at work or dealing with local issues in our community. Unfortunately those of you who still think and act like CHILDREN, and/or who have been indoctrinated by aging left-of-center professors who are still acting on their 1960’s counter-culture world view, think the solution is going out and “demonstrating” at every opportunity, whether or not such demonstrators voice a coherent point of view or articulate a viable solution. Why don’t you THINK about that a bit, and try to respond intelligently for a change, instead of the baseless accusations and emotive babbling that constitute the bulk of your posts?

• Student

Ugh, this is getting ridiculous.

• Jenny

This just made me tear up. I am so thankful today for Alex and all others who stand up against injustice. Much love and support.

• Anonymous

LOL, tear up…

• Guest

You can blame the Chancellor for many things, but skipping your Thanksgiving dinner is not one of them.

• william

We support you alex! I’ve been out there with him. This is a man who stands up for what he believes in! The chancellor must go!

• Anonymous

and “perhaps even an invitation to join him at his table tonight to make up for the fact that I broke my mother’s heart by canceling my plane ticket home.”

LOL. What a putz!

• Putztastic

Joke alert…

• Fer Fawks Sakes

oh shit, guy, for once I’m going to agree with you.
        Mr. Kim is loosing his grip on reality,
        or this is actually performance art mocking OWS.

• Claude

mmm hmmmm: this is performance art.  call it livin’

• James

That was obviously a joke, the next sentence reads “But in all seriousness”.

Leave it to the salty square cracker to miss a joke!

• ASKim

Thank you, James for getting the clue :). English major like me perhaps? or maybe just perceptive?

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_6NIWEWNZ5W63A3W6KTYLJ4ZHEI The Gig

Birgeneau needs to go, stop  the BS and leave.  UC directors are criminals stealing from students and enriching their pathetic lives.

• Guest

So you’re suggesting that UC should abandon its leadership? 

Your vision for the University of California sounds like South Harmon Institute of Technology (SHIT).  Anarchy, everyone!

• Sir Fails A Lot

Implying that if Birgeneau stepped down Cal would not hire someone else to be chancellor?
        Gig says he wants a single person ousted, and you transform that into a “vision” of total anarchy.

fail troll is fail

• Guest

Reading comprehension is important.

He said “UC directors are criminals”.  Pretty generic statement indicting the entire leadership.

• PeopleWantJobs

It’s not hard to replace an entire leadership fuck tons of people want jobs now a days. 

• Tony M

Get real, kiddy.

• Sir Fails A Lot

some refutation, old man

• Stan De San Diego

I have my disagreements with Birgenau on a number of issues, but my only beef with him on this issue is that he failed to stand up and support the cops. He basically threw them under the bus for doing their job.

• James

Support violence against students? Maybe we should also support a state ordered curfew and admit that public land should be maintained for private and commercial use only. And get rid of public schools and libraries because they are blatantly communist….

The right side of this country has lost all sense of compassion. 

• HopeUallGetPepperSprayed

Could you jump to the extreme argument a little quicker next time James?

• ConservatismKilledYer^Brain

There actually is a curfew on campus. If you are not from the campus community (which means have a special card, no other qualifications AT ALL)  you cannot pass thru during certain hours. So this is not an extreme argument.

You tell me how easy it is to acquire public land as a private individual and get back to me about how extreme his argument is.

Many people tell me schools like Berkeley are the source of unfettered radicalism that undermines the education, and the liberalism that clouds openmindedness. Hilariously they most often say (as people on this thread already did) that berkeley is communist breeding. So not an extreme argument.

Interesting HopeUallGetPepperSprayed, the arguments were all current, relevant and not very extreme at all. What is extreme is declaring civildisobediance from the civil rights era violence when in school we are taught that what they did was non-violent. Basically we have a chancellors who doesnt know what he is talking about issues multiple conflicting statements and fails to keep his word on any of them.