UC regents’ meeting adjourns after protesters cause meeting to halt

Protesters of the UC Regents hold a 'People's UC Meeting' during the UC Regent's Meeting at UCSF, November 28, 2011.
Gracie Malley/Staff

The UC Board of Regents’ meeting came to a halt at approximately 11:40 a.m. at UC San Francisco-Mission Bay when demonstrators overwhelmed communication during an extended public comments session.

Protesters, in solidarity with the Occupy movement, began to hold a meeting of their own once the regents left and introduced numerous proposals, including one in favor of UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau’s resignation — which passed unanimously.

The meeting — which was originally scheduled to be held in San Francisco on Nov. 16 and 17 — was rescheduled due to public safety concerns. According to UC spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez, it was not cost effective to bring the regents together for the four-hour meeting, resulting in the decision to hold the meeting via teleconference at UC San Francisco, UCLA, UC Davis and UC Merced.

“I’m sorry a small number of students decided to disrupt our meeting,” said board Chair Sherry Lansing. “They could not hear what we had to say and that saddens me.”

The regents and UC President Mark Yudof left the San Francisco location and quickly relocated to a smaller room in the same building, allowing press and the public limited access. UC spokesperson Brad Hayward said in an email that as of 12:30 p.m., the meeting and an online audio feed of the meeting had resumed.

The meeting was also disrupted at UCLA and UC Davis, according to Hayward. UC Student Regent Alfredo Mireles, Jr. and UC Student Regent-designate Jonathan Stein attended the meeting in Davis, where they joined the protesters’ general assembly.

As protesters left the San Francisco building around 12:30 p.m. to go eat lunch, they chanted, “We are the people’s regents, we’ll make banks pay!”

The meeting adjourned shortly after 1 p.m., after which Yudof met with the press.

“I was very pleased with the meeting … and that no one was hurt,” he said.

Damian Ortellado contributed to this report.

• Guest

Tuition increase not on agenda, but raises for administrators were.  When is Dailycal going to name the lucky admins and lawyers who got 20% raises?

• The only time people get hurt during an Occupy event is when the police attack them. 

• Stan De San Diego

Tell that to the family of the dead protester in Oakland, or the women raped and assaulted by Occupy types, or the small business types forced to shut down due to vandalism and intimidation. You’re in denial.

• Someone who gives a shit

Violence against women is terrible and should be condemned and dealt with everywhere. I only hope you remember that most sexual violence is committed by boyfriends/husbands and other people women know, and not usually some vague, scary “Occupy types.”

• COI They Love It

UC Regents, poster-boys for the 0.1%
    http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/regbios/

What happens when Dick Blum is a UC Regent?
    “At the end of 2009, UC held investments totaling $304 million in all 18 of the public companies in which Blum Capital Partners held a substantial or controlling stake.”
    http://spot.us/pitches/337-investors-club-how-the-uc-regents-spin-public-funds-into-private-profit/story

• Some person

These students are hypocrites. They’re silencing other people’s speech, yet they complain when they think theirs is threatened. What are they achieving? Nothing gets done when they pull stunts like this. No one benefits.

• They’re silencing a bunch of appointed officials who have raised cost of tuition and fees by something like 50% in the past 5 years.

How democratic is that? Raising the cost of attending “public” universities so that many academically qualified students will be unable to attend or be forced to go into a large amount of debt?
      Do you think that if that was a ballot initiative, to make college education cost more by half over the course of just 5 years, voters would agree to it? that politicians who seriously argued, openly, for this as a main campaign issue, would get elected? No. instead the state shuffles it off to an appointed commission, upholding the paradigm where the rich, who have become enormously richer in comparison to the middle and lower classes over the last 30 years, can have low taxes but regular students get fucked just as they are starting their adult lives.

• It’s funny how you only see white people doing this. You don’t see hispanics or blacks or any other race of poeple. Only rich white kids wanting to feel like they are a part of something. LOL LOL  Man its so fake, I think my spirit guides are laughing

• redteamo

Maria, have you even been to any of the protests? I would be surprised given your comment, because if you had, you would see that there are plenty of people of color occupying. To the extent that there might not be as many Latin@s and/or African-Americans at the UC protests, well, I think you can thank Prop 209 for that.

• Yeah…fake ass memberless movement.
      Only has enough participants to spread to every major American city, many college towns, and plenty of mid-sized towns and maintain 24/7 or frequent protests.What a pitiful accomplishment! To think they’re so TINY when they’ve been working at it FOREVER/ two and a half months!

• Stan De San Diego

Hear that the Occupy people have to recruit homeless to protest because they are losing support? Believe what you want, but people are catching to of the fact that their little movement is comprised of hard-core unemployables who really don’t have a clue.

• Someone who gives a shit

This demonization of people who are homeless is really disgusting. The homeless are some of those who suffer most in our current social/economic system, and any true movement for justice should include them as full members. 

• Guest

What’s the deal with the clown in the picture wearing ski goggles?

If you want people to take you seriously, the first step is to act like an adult.

• What an IDIOT.
      Clown probably thought someone might try to pepper spray him.
      talk about paranoia

• Yeah why would they think anyone might pepper spray peaceful protesters in the US… just strange.

• Burl Walker

While not a supporter at all, the ski goggles are probably worn as  protection from pepper spray.

• Ad Hominem Fail

I know, he should act like this adult, Regent Blum:
      “Nobody has ever told me that we had to ask the UC for an OK before we invested in something,” Blum told The Chronicle. “I wouldn’t be on the Board of Regents if I have to ask for permission to go to the bathroom.”
      http://www.sfbg.com/2011/09/27/censorship-or-something-else?page=0,5

• Stan De San Diego

More of the usual grandstanding from the Occupy Whatever crowd. Anyone who thinks that association or supporting these people is going to produce any form of positive change, is clearly delusional.

• Guest

People don’t seem to understand that these actions are symbolic, like all protests. They do not serve to physically change anything, just to represent the discontent felt by many about the budget cuts and tuition increases (and by extension, the income inequality in the US). If you want actual, physical, tangible change…then you mean a revolution. So calling it “grandstanding” is a little naive, because the alternative you suggest would most likely be something you would like even less.

• Anonymous

Proving once again that Cal Kiddies are clueless about how to improve the UC financial situation. Redistribution is their way. Obama is their clown idol.

• Yet note how the lefties have hissy fits when you point this out. The silly little narcissists are so wrapped up in their own self-importance that they think the whole world is on edge waiting for their next move. Meanwhile even good little liberal mayors in liberal strongholds such as NY and LA are getting fed up, and telling the police to clear these morons out.

• Guest

And why do you think this change isn’t happening? Is it because nobody has a good idea as to how to bring about change? Is it because nobody understands what is going on? No, its because the people in whose interests it is that things shouldn’t change, are too powerful – powerful enough to prevent change from happening.

Hence the focus of the Occupy movement – to make banks pay, to reverse the consequences of Citizens United, to redress rising income inequality (which, nobody seriously disputes, translates to power inequality).
      Protests are about speaking at people, not speaking to them. And protests gain currency, as they have in the past 3-4 months, because people feel they no longer have the opportunity to talk to people – that people in power are not listening – that the terms of the debate are too narrow (austerity, debt etc.).

You are right – it is grandstanding. But it is valuable grandstanding. It is the only thing that can begin to create change. It is an effort to disturb the status quo. It is an effort to create the possibility that other ideas might have a chance – might become possible.

• Stan De San Diego

Change isn’t happening because these idiots don’t have a tangible plan. Pissing and moaning about “the 1%” and bleating platitudes about “economic inequality” may appeal to those who are motivated by emotions, but rational thinking people merely roll their eyes when hearing that type of nonsense.

• consrcunts

And here we see a change in tactics, though not in strategy–which continues to focus on simply discrediting the protestors as people and belittling their efforts. 

It’s not about them.

It is about the increasing concentration of power and means in a small group of people who are accountable to NO ONE.  As much as I understand wanting to identify yourself with the rich and powerful instead of the poor and impotent (and this feature of human psychology is exactly why so many poor white people continue to vote Republican), you are never going to be more than the doggy underneath the rich man’s table, fawning over Master in return for a few scraps from his dinner.

Can you live with that?  I suppose you can.  Lots of people do.  But don’t fool yourself that nobody sees the truth of your situation.

• Failage

hahahahahahahahhahah,
      TROLL
      TROLL
      TROLL
      TROLL