Chancellor will not discuss Nov. 9 in address to ASUC Senate

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau released audio recording Tuesday apologizing for police actions during Occupy Cal.
Barbara Sullinger/File

UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau will speak at the ASUC Senate’s final meeting of the semester Wednesday night but will not discuss the contentious events of Nov. 9 due to the lawsuit recently filed against the campus.

BAMN, a national pro-affirmative action organization, filed a lawsuit last week on behalf of various campus and community members in response to the Nov. 9 police action against Occupy Cal protesters, during which police used batons against the protesters.

In mid-November, the senate passed a bill that condemned the police response to that protest and requested that the chancellor address the senate. Birgeneau accepted the invitation, and senators received an email notifying them of his appearance Saturday night, according to CalSERVE Senator Andrew Albright.

“(The chancellor) was invited and was happy to accept the invitation,” said campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore. “He will be discussing budgetary challenges facing the campus and also challenges facing students, including middle-income families and their budgetary concerns.”

Albright said he was not sure what to expect given the constraints on what Birgeneau could discuss.

“We were all expecting to be asking him about Nov. 9,” Albright said. “But … even if we can’t talk about Nov. 9, we can ask him things in more abstract terms, like when is an appropriate time for police to use violence.”

The announcement came just days after Birgeneau canceled a long-planned appearance at the campus Graduate Assembly’s final meeting of the semester. According to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof, the cancellation occurred because Birgeneau needed to prepare for a Friday public higher education summit for the Student Advocates for Graduate Education.

“I am glad to see that he is speaking to the ASUC on Wednesday regardless of the topic,” said Graduate Assembly President Bahar Navab. “We were hoping for grad students to be able to hear from him directly at our December meeting.”

Navab added that the assembly meeting would have been a “good opportunity for (Birgeneau) to tell graduate students what efforts he is making towards protecting public higher education at Cal.”

• Will

Isn’t it telling that the chancellor shoots his mouth off about his own personal social and political agendas, and clams up about critical issues facing the organization he’s supposed to be leading.

• If anyone has the right to be pissed at Birgenau, it’s the cops who he threw under the bus…

• Fed Up Alum

How long before we get rid of this guy? Not sure for how many seconds Birgeneau has been on the job but he has made it clear that he outlived his usefulness on second #2.

Remember the good old days with Tien? He not only led the school to happier times, he was on the sidelines and leading cheers during football games. Now THAT was a Chancellor. Can you imagine Birgie doing the same?

Get rid of this foul bum. The University, its employees, its students and its alums deserve better.

• Bobby Failz It

Birgeneau = CANDY-ASS COWARD.

• Guest

BAMN is a racist hate group.

• Dats A Troll

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      TROLL: DEFEND YOUR POSITION.

• Anonymous

Doesn’t Birgeneau’s inability to speak on matters of concern make him unsuitable to be chancellor?

• crusty

birgeneau still works at u.c.?huh!thought he would have been replaced by now.guess his knew motto for u.c. will be “welcome to the club.”eh?