Silent UC Berkeley protester detained

Alex Kim, a member of Occupy Cal, was detained on Sunday afternoon.
Katie Rapp/Courtesy

Alex Kim, a UC Berkeley senior and Occupy Cal protester who took a vow of silence, was detained Sunday by UCPD officers on Sproul Plaza, according to eyewitnesses at the scene.

At around 4:38 p.m., a few officers approached a group of demonstrators sitting on the lawn in front of Sproul Hall and handcuffed Kim before taking him away, said junior Katie Rapp.

“I was so surprised,” Rapp said. “They just grabbed him.”

UCPD Lt. Alex Yao, spokesperson for the department, said in an email early Monday morning that he could not discuss the circumstances of the officers’ encounter with Kim.

“UCPD did have contact with Alex Kim on Sunday,” Yao said in the email. “However, due to privacy laws, I can not divulge the nature of the contact for Mr. Kim’s protection.”

Several demonstrators said Section 5150 of the California Welfare and Institutions Code was cited as the reason for Kim’s detainment. That section allows officers to take into custody any individual who “as a result of mental disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself” and place them in a county designated facility approved by the State Department of Mental Health.

Though Yao did not confirm or refute whether Kim was detained under Section 5150, an individual who appears to match Kim’s description is referenced in the UCPD crime logs from Sunday.

According to the  log, a male student was “transported to JGP via Paramedics Plus for psychiatric evaluation” from Upper Sproul Plaza. The location mentioned refers to John George Psychiatric Pavilion in San Leandro. The case is classified under Section 5150.

This came just hours after much of the Sproul encampment was dismantled Sunday morning.

J.D. Morris is the university news editor.

• Stan De San Diego

UCPD was wrong to detain him.  Alex I am glad you are out.  I was wrong about a lot of things and I want to apologize to everyone here.  You are right to be concerned about your friend, and about the misuse of mental health law to suppress First Amendment rights and dissent by the unelected UC Administration.  

• Anonymous

Any update on Alex?

• anna livia

Were watching these comment’s in IRELAND and notice your country is a police state.

• jl

I’m not religious… but thank, god.

• Stan De San Diego

Try not believing all the left-wing nonsense you read in the media, and maybe you won’t come off as ignorant. Alex Kim was temporarily detained for mental evaluation NOT for “protesting” but because his behavior suggested that he was mentally ill. That’s perfectly legal under Section 5150 of the Welfare and Institutions Code of the State of California, which incorporates significant limitations and safeguards to prevent abuse. Most of the people here boo-hooing over Alex’s plight are willfully ignorant of the law, and choose to ignore details that don’t support their version of the story.

• Anonymous

Your behavior suggests you are mentally ill Stan.  Should they come get you?  You tell someone from another country they are ignorant, you use racial slurs like “gook”, or pepper your rants with “kook” “silly” “babbling”, you make illogical, rambling arguments, and are obsessed with your own opinion and making your own opinion seem right and unquestionable to yourself.  This is narcissism Stan, possibly with paranoid tendencies or delusions of grandeur, and probably compounded by early experiences in which your own “silly” behavior was severely repressed by your primary caregivers.  You also express rage at those not saddled with your “real job” or “real responsibilities”, and take to internet forums for self-validation and adoration (which you create by having multiple accounts all posting in support of your projected “liberal-busting” persona.)  If they put you in the hospital and take away your internet, you will turn into a sobbing nut in fetal position in the corner, Stan.  You had better hope they don’t abuse the statute to take you into custody. 

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[Your behavior suggests you are mentally ill Stan.  Should they come get you?  You tell someone from another country they are ignorant, you use racial slurs like “gook”}

Really? Prove it.

• Tony M

Haha, I don’t think I’ve heard someone say that since I was 11 years old.  “Oh yeah??? You think I’m, like, not cool??? Prove it!!!!” 

I know you are but what am I?

• Stan De San Diego

Except I never called anyone a “g–k”. If you believe otherwise, why don’t you go find that post, click on the icon, and read all the posts associated with that particular poster? You will note that it’s not me, but the pathetic ass-clown who hijacked my handle. Now get a life.

• jl

It has been really interesting reading Irish newspapers that cover the Occupy Movement, it has been really alarming…. especially in regards to the police’s harsh and brutal treatment towards journalists in New York. 

• jl

Although, I find the harsh remarks from everyone exceedingly frustrating at times… especially when they deviate so far from the matter at hand. At least this forum gives everyone the right to free speech…at least Alex is exercising his right to speak (or not speak for in this case) in a way of demonstrating his attitude toward the socio-political climate, despite the fact he may appear to be a “loser” as some of you have called him.

Acting in defiance IN PERSON,  beyond the safety of his computer screen, is really admirable on his part… I hope we can all agree on that. 

Soon with this SOPA business and potential internet censorship…. we might all lose the luxury of bitching from the comfort of our couches and computer chairs. 

Let’s focus on that.

• Guest

Put pressure on the system and the system *will* implode and this is further proof of that concept; not that it *needs* further proof…the civil rights movement, Vietnam protests and recent (other) police excesses have long established such. The amazing thing, though, is that “the system” *still* has not figured out how *not* to implode.

It is as if they cannot help themselves as they insist upon marching off the cliff.

• Stan De San Diego

“Do you often use slurs like “gook” to describe Asian people? Do you hate them?” –
    Typical lefty tactic. Inject race or some inflammatory remarks while muddying the trail of who said who, in a lame effort to discredit their opponents and derail the discussion when it’s headed in a direction they don’t like.

• Anonymous

You’re the one who said “gook” Stan. 

You lie. Click on the avatar of the person who made that remark. It was the childish little troll (most likely you) who has been busy hijacking other people’s handles because he got spanked, and his widdle feewings are so hurt.

• BS alarm

Yeah, use the 5150 to repress protestors and label them as crazy. They do the same thing Cuba!

• Stan De San Diego

No, they don’t. There are restrictions and limitations in the use of 5150 WIC to detain people for a limited time for psychiatric evaluation, including time limitations and civil penalties for those who abuse the system. If you disagree on some specific part of the law, or believe it’s being implemented incorrectly, feel free to address specifics (I posted the full text here earlier in the week). Unfortunately, most of you paranoid kooks aren’t interested in specifics, because it’s far simpler for rant and rave than actually research the law and articulate a specific argument.

• Stan De San Diego

Silly kook frothing and foaming.  Don’t they know Stan is always right and always gets the last post?  Dull hollow ffffud. 

• Arwen

As stated earlier everyoene has a Fifth Amendment Constitutional right to remain silent and does not have to talk to anyone, including the police.

Don’t they teach these cops anything in the academy? Maybe they were hatched on another planet.

• Arwen

There is no evidence Alex Kim “was a danger to others, or to himself or herself”…['as a result of of mental disorder]“. The only ones who were 5150 in this scenario are the cops who arrested him, UCPD Lt. Alex Yao, the Chief of the Berkeley Police Department and the Department itself,

• Kevin Quirolo

This is infuriating. I go to UCSD but visited UCB campus over Thanksgiving break and ran into Alex in front of Sproul Hall. I distinctly remember him writing down contact information for Occupy Cal for me, and silently complimenting my text book for Philosophy of Science which he indicated he had read.

[ Acting like a "kook" (you love words like this) is not illegal]

Sure, it isn’t illegal, but do you think you’re going to get a bunch of widespread support by behaving that way? This is the problem with radical Berkeley activists. They have been so indoctrinated by a generation of shrill, self-centered 1960’s hippie holdover types that they think such behavior is normal. They can’t approach any issue like normal people, instead they go ape-shit hysterical and engage in the most bizarre antics to get attention. Every conflict to them gets viewed through the prism of either St. Petersburg in 1917 or Chicago 1968. Sane people are embarrassed to associated with these lunatics.

• Anonymous

“bizarre antics to get attention” like posting a lot in a student newspaper, Tony?  People who aren’t doing something illegal should not be hauled away and locked up by cops.  As for if his or anyone’s behavior is “normal” – who cares?  It’s not illegal to be abnormal.  Otherwise they’d be coming for you Tony. 

Most sane people consider posting to an online publication or writing a “letter to the editor” a reasonable way to express one’s opinion, as opposed to camping out on campus for days on end and acting like a wackjob in public. Once again, another classic example of how the frame of reference of the average Berkeley “progressive” is far removed from reality. As far as being taken away for examination, once again, why don’t you read Section 5150 of the Welfare & Institutions Code, which was actually posted here in this forum? Section 5150 clearly outlines conditions when it’s perfectly legal to bring in someone for 72-hour involuntarily psychiatric evaluation. You’re not interested in dealing with any semblance of facts, merely ranting like a fool.

• Stan De San Diego

Act like a kook, get treated like a kook. Most people outside of Berkeley understand this without much of a problem. Unfortunately, one of the self-destructive issues with the far left is this idea that the only way to advance one’s agenda is to act like a complete unhinged fruitcake. And you wonder why the rest of the country just laughs, sighs, and rolls their collective eyes whenever “Berkeley” is mentioned.

• Anonymous

Stan you feel anxiety that you are incompetent, or irrational, or not productive enough.  Perhaps your mother called you a “kook” (you show an abnormal fascination with that word), or a “whack job” or “unhinged”.  That was unfair, and now you want to lash out to show you are not incompetent, you are not irrational.  Stan is a man with responsibilities, a man with a job, a man who is strong enough to put down “the Left”.  Stan, there is no one named “the Left” who needs to be “put down”.  I think you are strong enough to give up your hate.  I think you are strong enough to forgive yourself, to embrace that young boy within you Stan, who wanted to cry when his mother called him a “kook”.  It’s a horrible thing to do that to you Stan.  You are crying out for help, when you sit at home alone typing away on the internet, lashing out with your anger.  We care about you, Stan. 

• Stan De San Diego

I notice you have posted a number of these little rants directed at me. It’s pretty clear by now that neither you nor any of your motley group of camp followers can actually address and refute anything I have posted, so instead you respond with remarks that are clearly consistent with narcissistic injury. Sorry to break this to you, but most people think Alex is mentally disturbed, and if you continue to foam and flail instead of addressing the specifics, they will only think likewise of you.

• Anonymous

Actually they don’t Stan.  Alex was released.  You are wrong, he is not mentally disturbed as proven by the psychiatrists.  And it’s not about you anyway, it’s about campus police misusing the system… but let it sink it you are wrong (it’s ok to cry, Stan).   

• Sooutheast

You may be the culprit not Alex. Wash up your brain!

• Stan De San Diego

Well, I see you’re incapable of dealing with specifics. And you wonder why nobody of substance takes you seriously?

• UCPD deny it ever happened!

UCPD ARE NOW DENYING THAT THIS ARREST OCCURRED.

I called UCPD to file a complaint (‎510 642-6760). They said the supervisor would call be back. The supervisor (or sergeant?) called me back. The supervisor denied that they arrested Alex Kim. They said they hadn’t arrested Alex Kim since “a few weeks ago at a protest.” I asked why I was looking at a picture of Alex Kim being arrested. He said they didn’t arrest Alex Kim and I couldn’t file a complaint of an arrest that didn’t happen. He said check the arrest log and got off the phone. I checked the daily activity log, which lists arrests. It’s not there. What is happening? This is very disturbing.

• Anonymous

Maybe they don’t count detainment under WIC 5150 as an “arrest”.  

• Stan De San Diego

It isn’t an arrest, since it’s not a criminal act to be mentally ill.

• Anonymous

No it’s not Stan.  I’m glad you see that.  Maybe it will help you take a step towards seeking help for yourself. 

• Anonymous

You are not a “kook” Stan no matter what she told you. 

• truth

5150 is NOT an arrest.

• Gewisn

I am a psychiatrist here in CA, and WIC 5150 permits officers to detain for evaluation anyone who, as a result of a mental disorder, is a Danger to Self, Danger to Others, or Gravely Disabled. Further in the code, it defines Gravely Disabled to mean that the person cannot find or use food, clothing, shelter – even if provided by someone else.  If he indicates that he wants to be homeless and can find food, or has someplace else to go, or would be willing to go someplace if it could be found for him – then I would discharge the person the same day.  The “5150” Form the police fill out is clearly labeled an “Application for 72-hour Evaluation,” it does not automatically mean the person should/will be held for 72 hours.  That decision is entirely left up to the professional staff at the county-designated 5150 receiving facility (John George Hospital in Alameda county).  

Thanks for trying to explain that here. Unfortunately there are a lot of people here who probably need your help as much as Alex Kim, and will choose to ignore what doesn’t fit their particular agenda.

• Anonymous

“people who probably need your help…” Your cry for help for you and Stan has been noted, Tony.  

You’re the one who needs help. You’re obviously upset by my comments, but can’t articulate any coherent rebuttal or identify anything in particular that I have said that is factually incorrect. Therefore, you spam dozens of silly, emotive replies in return…

• Anonymous

There is nothing wrong with emotion, Tony M.  You should embrace yours. I pity you. 

• Stan De San Diego

There’s plenty wrong with emotion when it is used as a substitute for facts and logic.

• Guest

expel this fool

• CalDove

Isn’t that what the USSR use to do with their political dissenters?

• Anon&o~

OK, people, we’re getting off topic: does anybody know where Alex Kim is?

• Stan De San Diego

Does anyone really care, other than his silly fan club?

• Anonymous

It’s not “kooky” to care about someone, Stan.  We care about you too.  And deep down inside it’s OK that you care too. 

It IS pretty kooky to assume that there’s some evil nefarious conspiracy behind a certifiable loonie  being picked up for a 5150 eval. That’s the problem with acting like you’re insane – eventually someone takes you seriously.

• Kobe

my apartment manager :(

• Anonymous

Stan de San Diego and other trolls – you’re such geniuses.  Tell you what – prove Alex Kim is crazy enough to be a danger to himself, since the rest of us are so stupid.  If you can’t I suppose we’ll have to presume he’s not a danger.  And if you don’t agree with that, prove Stan de San Diego is sane and not a danger.  

• Anonymous

Anyone who doesn’t go to class, smokes kush all day on campus, and sleeps on campus (illegally) is not only a danger to himself, but his peers. Do you think the school wants high school students to see him on campus with his weird posters and signs? It’s bad for the UC Berkeley image. We have an image to maintain, as the top public school in the nation. If I were a parent, why would I want to send my kid to a school where there’s bad influences like Alex Kim. If I were a visiting high school senior and I saw a student just creepingly camping around, I would probably never come back lol. Alex Kim makes our school look like a bunch of liberal psychos. We don’t need him here.

The problem at Berkeley is that the wacko lefties think that type of behavior is normal.

• Anonymous

By the way, The Asian Virginia Tech shooter who killed 33 people a few year back was just like Alex Kim. Quiet, weird, very weird. You never know, for these type of people. You put Alex kim in a room of 100 people, I could probably pick him out to be the weirdest of the whole bunch. Detaining him is for everyone’ safety on campus. Someone just committed suicide by flashing a gun at an officer at Haas last month? Do you guys forget these things already? Alex Kim could be a psycho and no one would know. Even if there’s only a 1% chance that he is crazy, I’m not taking any risks. He has shown more than enough irregular tendencies (not speaking, etc) to warrant his detention. He definitely at least needs to see a psychologist. 

• Anon&o~

by this reasoning we should probably lock up everybody.  except the police, of course: they’re above the law.

• Stan De San Diego

By your reasoning, we should all jump to stupid conclusions every time we are incapable of posting any response of substance.

• Anon&o~

I was refuting your comment above, which looked subSTANtial, but wasn’t.  What message do you want to convey? Why are you writing here again and again, picking fights without standing for anything?

• Stan De San Diego

You jumped to a silly conclusion (which was NOT my post, FWIW) that did not follow from the argument offered by the person to who you responded, so I called you on it. You didn’t refute a thing.

• Southeast

Alex is a very sane person. You are a loco!!!

As if you should talk. You’re nuttier than a jar of Planters…

Most of these children are too young to remember Rosebud Denovo, another “idealistic young person” who was showered with adulation by the usual progressive/activist crowd. To cut to the punchline, Rosebud was shot dead when she broke into then-chancellor Chang-Lin Tien’s residence armed with a machete. Maybe the administration is finally getting some smarts, and taking the opportunity check out some these characters to see if their gears are meshing properly before they have a similar incident. Can’t say I blame them…

• Stan De San Diego

Obviously others believe he has psychiatric issues as well. If you had not noticed, I posted the relevant sections of 5150 WIC that specifically outline what conditions someone can be held for involuntary 72-hour psychiatric evaluation. The police can’t arbitrarily lock up people for 5150 – there are fairly specific requirements and protections to make sure the process is not abused. You don’t care to deal with specifics, so your posts are mere babbling as far as I’m concerned.

• Anonymous

I read the other article about Alex a few weeks ago, and I have come to the conclusion that this guy is just a Loser Attention vvh0re. Cool story bro, way to waste your parents’ tuition. You’ve been camping out there for weeks without going to class or studying like a real Asian should. Your parents must be so proud. 

Getting arrested instead of getting good grades and making a future for yourself? These kind of stupid people are even worse than people that do horribly in high school and end up going to community college. Why? Because his family had to pay $THOUSANDS$ in expensive tuition. At the cost of what? Him just camping around Berkeley like a hobo? If i were his dad I would backhand the sh1t out of him. I actually feel sorry for his parents who have to deal with their rebellious immature teenager. Have fun working at McDonalds, Alex. Loser. lmao. 

Anyone who disagrees with this post is just another hippie, liberal, OWS idiot. Get a job, get a degree. Alex is an idiot. What a fail of an Asian. Attention-loving loser. 

• Anonymous

You’re disgusting. 

• Concourse2

You may be a loser not Alex.

• Concourse2

You are an idiot not Alex.

• Anonymous

Why do you keep posting on my comments, you ghey Concourse2. You must be Alex’s boyfriend or something. Why do you keep defending him? Are you his friend? Are you friends with awkward people who try to be Buddhist Monks that pledge a life of silence? Do you enjoy taking Media studies classes at Berkeley? Do you enjoy being beat by cops because you’re too dumb to move over when they tell you to?

• Southeast

You are a dumb.

• Stan De San Diego

You’re not exactly convincing others that you have anything intelligent to offer yourself.

• Sooutheast

You wash up your brain back to the day zero!

• Stan De San Diego

With every reply, you convince the rest of us that you’re a dullard.

• Concourse2

Do you  get better grades than Alex? You disgusting, the filth of this society.

• Anonymous

Actually I do get better grades than that idiot. Thanks for asking. I’m also a senior and it feels good that I’m getting a legit, high-paying job right after I graduate. You sound like a dumbass. Learn how to speak English phaggot. You’re so dumb you probably majored in media studies or Ethnic studies. 

• LJ

So your “thoughtful and intelligent” response to someone who actually can debate your ideas is name-calling? The use of the term “phaggot” though not spelled correctly is repulsive. Name calling, REALLY, I thought in college we’re past that kind of trash?? It is sad that you claim you are receiving an excellent education yet you lower yourself to name calling and belittling people (i.e “you’re so dumb you probably majored…) What you fail to realize is everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if it should disagree with your own, that is PERFECTLY OKAY!!! SO WHAT if they majored in something like media studies or ethnic studies… WHY DO YOU CARE, IT IS THEIR LIFE, NOT YOURS. Go to class, pass your finals, and center this rage onto fixing things in the ACTUAL world instead of in an online forum! GEEZE!

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-TheSpick/729663315 Nick TheSpick

Trolololol

• Anonymous

1. Your name is Nick TheSpick. LOL
        2. You don’t even go to Berkeley. Nice try commenting on issues that are going on at OUR school. You WISH you went to the best public university in the world. Keep trying though, you liberal PHUCK!
        3. You only have 81 friends on facebook. Go to college. Meet some people, you sheltered loser.
        4. Your name is Nick TheSpick. I think that pretty much sums up your sorry excuse for a life. 

• Concourse2

You stupid, you did not contribute any penny for his education!!!

• Anonymous

Actually, his parents did. If he has any respect for his parents, he would at least try to do well in school. I’m willing to bet that his parents are hardworking immigrants, or if not immigrants, at least hardworking people who do not deserve to have a son who uses up all their money. In Asian culture, these kinds of kids are the worst. Ask any Asian at Berkeley. These are the kind of kids our parents tell us not to hang out with because they have no futures and waste their lives away.

Imagine if you had a son and you paid thousands for him to get a top-notch education, and he ends up getting arrested and failing all his classes (by not studying for finals and camping out on campus 24/7). Would you not be pissed? All of you are a bunch of hypocrites who think it’s actually OKAY for Alex to abuse his parents like this. His family is probably crying right now. If anything, as Alex’s peers, you guys should all be telling him to get his sh1t together, not do the opposite and encourage his strange/weird behavior.

• Seejur

while I agree with you, what do you know about his parents to speak like your voice is the only truth? What do you know about his culture? Asian culture is pretty big and diverse… You don’t even know if his tuition are paid by his parents or by the state… I agree that he should study instead of wasting his life, but try not to exaggerate thing ;)

• learn the truth

who knows, maybe he’s incorporating all this into, “a school project”.  would that make it ok?  would that fit into a box well enough not to break your mental mold of what should be?  wow, way to defend the status quo tooth and nail.

• Stan De San Diego

Funny how liberals always think that the way to “challenge” the status quo is to act like an idiot, then wonder why nobody in the real world takes them seriously.

• Southeast

You do not know what you are talking about with twisted mentality.

• Stan De San Diego

Name one thing in the post to which you just responded, that was “twisted”. I’m willing to bet that you can’t.

• Anonymous

Presuming that all Asians are monolithic, or that a conservative troll posting their hate on a web comment page can speak for all Asians, or assuming that Asians would be ashamed of their son in this situation is twisted.  

• Stan De San Diego

Tell us why anyone (especially someone coming from a culture where education and academic achievement are stressed from an early age) would be proud of their college-age child neglecting his studies, camping out in a tent on campus property, posting rambling, incoherent letters for the world to see, and otherwise acting like enough of a complete loony to achieve attention as the lead story in the online campus newspaper. Tell us why any parent would be proud that everyone on campus knows that their son is a 5150. Come on now, are you really that out to lunch? The previous “Anonymous” (you know, the one who is a hell of a lot smarter than you) is right. The poor parents are probably in tears over these events. Only the left-wing wackos – the ones whose lives are built around protest, resentment, and dysfunctionality – see no problem here.

• Anonymous

I think a good parent would be proud of a child who knows in his heart and does what is right, even if not always successful, compared to one who is corrupted in spirit, full of spite, achieves a “lot” but has an empty soul.  By your measure, Stan, you would be proud if your kid became CEO of a bank, crashed a few economies, but got a PhD and made lots of money in the process.  I don’t think most of us want your version of America, Stan.  Sorry if that is threatening to you.  

• Stan De San Diego

If you think acting like a kook is the best way to  advance your ideas or agenda, you’re as clueless as Alex. What is this thing with the Left where everything requires acting like a complete nutter?

• Anonymous

You feel persecuted by the Left, Stan.  Acting like a “kook” (you love words like this) is not illegal, and it doesn’t harm you, yet you feel threatened, so you cling to what you claim is your sanity and rationality, you project strength but you wish us to pity you.  

• Anonymous

He’s probably just saying “kook” instead of “gook” since we all know that isn’t PC.

• Anonymous

Do you often use slurs like “gook” to describe Asian people? Do you hate them?

• Ed

This is a small box

[I think a good parent would be proud of a child who knows in his heart and does what is right]

You mean camping out in a tent on campus and writing some foaming screed that makes the Unabomber Manifesto appear logical and coherent in comparison is “doing the right thing”? And you people seriously wonder why the rest of us think you’re all nuts…

[Tell us why any parent would be proud that everyone on campus knows that their son is a 5150.]

But liberals consider that a badge of honor. They think mental illness is relative, depending who’s in control. If people they oppose politically think they are f-cking crazy, in their mind they must be doing something right…

• Stan

Wow, you must be a very sad and lonely person. You’re on a path that leads to a very sad life. 

• Sooutheast

Clean up your filthy brain !

• Stan De San Diego

In other words, you didn’t like what I had to say, but lacked the intellectual faculties to offer a coherent rebuttal. Your inability to even back up your own assertions is noted.

• Stan

You’re not impressive and you are not impressing anyone. Get over yourself. Live and let live.

[Imagine if you had a son and you paid thousands for him to get a top-notch education, and he ends up getting arrested and failing all his classes]

These left-wing loony-tunes think that the whole purpose of Cal is to indoctrinate young people into a world view where every conflict or issue can be resolved through street protests. The concept that some people actually attend school to learn a profession and pick up useful job skills completely escapes them…

• Stan

You should really mind your own business. You’re not impressing anyone and your motive is clearly spite and hatred. Good luck becoming a happy person.

• Sooutheast

You are so  silly. You mind your business.

• 562-166

“Anyone who disagrees with this post is just another hippie, liberal, OWS
      idiot. Get a job, get a degree. Alex is an idiot. What a fail of an
      Asian. Attention-loving loser.”

Characteristics of a stereotypical Republican:
      – They cannot separate the words “hippie” and “liberal”
      – Says “Get a job” to full-time college students
      – Extremely limited vocabulary when describing somebody of opposing beliefs
      – Believes anybody who disagrees MUST be an unemployed liberal
      – Resorts to name-calling similar to that of 2nd graders

• Southeast

You are a real idiot not Alex. Alex is very smart person above beyond your level.

• Stan De San Diego

Just because Alex is clearly smarter than YOU are, doesn’t mean that Alex is “smart” compared to people who know how to express their ideas and opinions in a rational, coherent manner. I read the posts by all you various and sundry misfits, and see nothing but sloppy spelling, sentence fragments, disjointed logic, and plenty of other suggestions that most of you people flailing to defend Alex aren’t exactly playing with a full deck either.

• Sooutheast

Your brain is filthy. Clean up!

• Stan Can’t Smile

You’re clearly not a worthwhile human. Good luck getting happy.

• Stan De San Diego

Characteristics of a stereotypical liberal:

– Believes that everyone who disagrees is a racist, fascist, or mean person.

– Believes that all conservatives and Republicans spend all their spare time plotting on how to oppress poor people.

– Believes that anyone who opposes their ideas to solve a particular problem must be in favor of that same problem. Example, anyone who thinks that the liberals solution to ending war is wrong, misguided, or silly is simply in favor of war.

– Believes that all problems can be solved by protesting and demonstrating.

– Believes that moral and intellectual superiority are more dependent on one’s stated intentions (“ending world hunger”, “visualizing world peace”) as opposed to actual results.

– Believes in using various and sundry tactics to silence opponents because they aren’t “tolerant” or “open-minded” like they are.

– Any barefoot, uneducated, illiterate sidewalk vendor in any third world country has a better understanding of basic economics than a typical liberal.

• Stan De San Diego

Characteristics of someone who is just stupid in general:
          1) uses the tagline stupid/stereotypical liberal
          2) uses the tagline stupid/stereotypical conservative

Both sides are equally blind

• Stan Can’t Smile

Stan, can you even have fun? It must be exhausting to be such a jerk.

• Chris Bryson

“Why? Because his family had to pay $THOUSANDS$ in expensive tuition. At
      the cost of what? Him just camping around Berkeley like a hobo? ”
      Or perhaps the outcome of his education was being able to consider himself in the larger context of the systems in which he is embedded, and resist those systems ethically rather than just reproducing injustice?  Just a thought.  That’s what I as a parent would hope for.

• Stan De San Diego

If I were a parent, I would hope that by the time my child made it to college, he or she would have far more coherent reasoning and thought processes than what was just exhibited in the previous post.

• Anonymous

Stan you make the same sorts of arguments that you accuse others of.  Chris’ post is perfectly coherent and well reasoned.  I’m sorry Stan, but when they 5150 you, insisting that they are wrong will only make them hold you longer. 

• Stan De San Diego

I don’t know what planet you’re from, but I live in the real world, have a real job with real responsibilities, and know how to articulate my thoughts and ideas in a manner consistent with what most people expect from a sane, rational adult. OTOH, you left-of-center types have bought into the idea that you can convince others of the superior wisdom of your views by coming off as unhinged nutjobs. Believe all you want that you’re the enlightened ones, but the fact of the matter is that the rest of the country views Berkeley as being synonymous with kookery – and clowns like Alex do NOTHING to change that impression whatsoever.

• Anonymous

Let me get my violin out.  Tell us how hard your real job and real responsibilities weigh on your brave shoulders. I want to hear from a red blooded American (not an American’t): how unfair is the world to Stan? 

• Stan De San Diego

What did I say that suggested that having a real job and real responsibilities was somehow “unfair”? I merely pointed out that people who

• Anonymous

You must be very alone, Stan.  You don’t understand why people don’t value your “rationality”, and you lash out at those who unfairly seem free for the “responsibilities” you heap upon yourself.  I’m sorry for you, Stan.  

That’s the problem with liberals. They think feigning insanity is somehow an indication of enlightenment.

• Stan De San Diego

You spend a lot of time posting nothing of substance.

• Stan De San Diego

Just like me!

• Stan

Grow up Stan, you are acting like a child.

• Stan De San Diego

“Or perhaps the outcome of his education was being able to consider himself in the larger context of the systems in which he is embedded, and resist those systems ethically rather than just reproducing injustice?”

Sorry, that’s not coherent or reasoned. That’s pure psychobabble.

• Southeast

You have filthy brain. Clean up!

• ORALfeces

bleh blah blah belllhehh blah blha

So that’s your way of admitting you can’t respond to any of his points, right?

• Kevin Quirolo

I hope I don’t have to be a “OWS idiot” to call out your flagrant racism. Why does an individual’s choices lead them to categorically fail to be a “real Asian”? Why must individuals’ authenticity depend on stereotypes or behavior of others who share the same race?

Any coherent conservative-individualism (which your advice to stop protesting and ‘get a job’ suggests) must recognize individual autonomy and individual authenticity. You don’t have to be committed to multiculturalism not to be racist.

[ hope I don't have to be a "OWS idiot" to call out your flagrant racism.]

Why are you calling him a “racist”, other than the fact that’s the default accusation of your typical left-wing type when he or she can’t make his or her point with facts or logic?

• truth

And the conspiracy theories run rampant.  Hey you guys — you should also know that 2-Pac and Biggie are still alive and being kept hidden by the FBI.

Alex Kim was/is nothing but an annoying person.  He’s not an effective leader against the University. If they were going to go as far to rig a 5150, they would have taken down someone far more powerful and threatening.   

Alex’s cat is more threatening to UCB than Alex.

• Anonymous

You express a lot of anger because someone you don’t know personally wishes to sit silently.  Do you have lots of problems dealing with your anger?  Tell us about your mother.  Do you share your theories with her?  Are you on any meds? 

• Southeast

Yo sound like an under educated cop!!!

• Stan De San Diego

You’re the last (OK, next to last besides “concrrnd citzn”) person who should lecture others about being “under educated”.

• dontsupportuc

Suppression of dissent by Birgeneau and the UCB police continues.  

Come on now, did you read the guy’s letter when it was published last week? He’s a total fruit-loop.

• Anonymous

In the United States of America, there’s a document called the Constitution that is supposed to protect people’s right to be a non-violent “fruit-loop” and keep them safe from arbitrary detention without charges.  

Are you against the Constitution, Tony M?  They revoke your tea-party membership for that.  

• truth

Alex was taken down legally.  That’s what 5150 is.

So, how does this threaten the Constitution?       Logic: fail.

• Anonymous

You like to judge others.  Tagging things as “fail” fills a certain need within you.  What need do you think that is? 

• Stan De San Diego

Looks like you can’t answer the question, so you foam and flail. Typical ignorance as displayed by the loopy left.

• Anonymous

Nothing indicates that Alex Kim was a danger to himself or others or showed signs of mental illness.  Stan go back to designing your networking for mirror drive stuff, or claim how fancy and important that is – maybe a psychiatrist will tag you as delusional regarding your own importance.  

• Stan De San Diego

Once again, looks like you can’t back your own assertion. You claimed that somehow his Constitutional rights had been violated, but you couldn’t address the question I had regarding 5150 WIC (which in fact I posted for your convenience). Once again, another ignorant individual flails when he can’t even offer fact to support his own argument.

• Anonymous

Stan, your “proof by assertion” is not a proof.  Kim was not violent.  If he was, he would have been charged with assault when arrested previously.  He was not a danger to himself.  Failing to talk to a cop because he has taken a vow of silence is not evidence of mental illness, though the cops chose to take it as such.  The cops are misusing the law, in a way that violates Kim’s right to protest peacefully and lawfully.  Of course, when confronted with these, you simply claim people are flailing ignorant idiots. I think you are projecting your own insecurities.  Stan – it’s ok if you’re an idiot.  If you comment less, people won’t notice it as much and maybe you’ll find more happiness in your life. 

• Stan De San Diego

There’s no requirement that someone has to be violent for detention per 5150 WIC, nor did I ever suggest such a thing. Stop trying to refute things I never said, as it only makes you look silly.

• Anonymous

It’s OK to be silly Stan.  Were you hurt as a child for wanting to be silly, and now you have to denigrate others to make yourself feel power?

• Stan De San Diego

WELFARE AND INSTITUTIONS CODE 
            SECTION 5150

5150. When any person, as a result of mental disorder, is a danger
            to others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled, a peace
            officer, member of the attending staff, as defined by regulation, of
            an evaluation facility designated by the county, designated members
            of a mobile crisis team provided by Section 5651.7, or other
            professional person designated by the county may, upon probable
            cause, take, or cause to be taken, the person into custody and place
            him or her in a facility designated by the county and approved by the
            State Department of Mental Health as a facility for 72-hour
            treatment and evaluation.
            Such facility shall require an application in writing stating the
            circumstances under which the person’s condition was called to the
            attention of the officer, member of the attending staff, or
            professional person, and stating that the officer, member of the
            attending staff, or professional person has probable cause to believe
            that the person is, as a result of mental disorder, a danger to
            others, or to himself or herself, or gravely disabled. If the
            probable cause is based on the statement of a person other than the
            officer, member of the attending staff, or professional person, such
            person shall be liable in a civil action for intentionally giving a
            statement which he or she knows to be false.

5150.05. (a) When determining if probable cause exists to take a
            person into custody, or cause a person to be taken into custody,
            pursuant to Section 5150, any person who is authorized to take that
            person, or cause that person to be taken, into custody pursuant to
            that section shall consider available relevant information about the
            historical course of the person’s mental disorder if the authorized
            person determines that the information has a reasonable bearing on
            the determination as to whether the person is a danger to others, or
            to himself or herself, or is gravely disabled as a result of the
            mental disorder.
            (b) For purposes of this section, “information about the
            historical course of the person’s mental disorder” includes evidence
            presented by the person who has provided or is providing mental
            health or related support services to the person subject to a
            determination described in subdivision (a), evidence presented by one
            or more members of the family of that person, and evidence presented
            by the person subject to a determination described in subdivision
            (a) or anyone designated by that person.
            (c) If the probable cause in subdivision (a) is based on the
            statement of a person other than the one authorized to take the
            person into custody pursuant to Section 5150, a member of the
            attending staff, or a professional person, the person making the
            statement shall be liable in a civil action for intentionally giving
            any statement that he or she knows to be false.
            (d) This section shall not be applied to limit the application of
            Section 5328.

• Southeast

Your logic is a gigantic failure. You are an immature pathetic under educated.

So you can’t refute a damn thing he said, yet you accuse HIS logic of being a “gigantic failure?

• Stan De San Diego

Show me where anyone has successfully challenged the constitutionality of Section 5150 of the California Welfare and Institutions Code, and you may have a point. Otherwise, you are merely another foaming ignoramus, one of many who post nonsensical babble without any substantive proof to support their positions.

Regardless of the Constitution, he’s still a fruit-loop.

• Sooutheast

Your brain is contaminated and filthy. Clean Up!

• Kevin Prichard

So, if he has “issues”, then, how did he get to be a Senior at Berkeley? It sounds like picking someone to make an example of/statement to the rest of the protestors. Hmm…I hope he doesn’t end up in Guantanamo Bay…which is BTW a U.S. Military Base and henceforth is “American Soil”, and, subject to the U.S. Constitution and the Right of “Due Process”…Good to remember…

• What’s new

You don’t think Berkeley students get 5150’d?   Wow — you have such a naive perspective on mental illness.

• Anonymous

You don’t think the admins and cops lean on the doctors to make sure they are “thorough” in their 3+14 day “evaluations”?  Who’s being naive? 

• truth

Apples and oranges.

Whether or not admins and cops distort the process has nothing to do with the fact that brilliant people who can get admitted to Cal can have mental issues and need 5150ing.    Logic:  fail.  But nice try.  You’re not naive — you are stupid.

• Anonymous

There it is again.  “Fail”.  Do you fear other people’s opinions when they are different from yours?  

• Southeast

Your brain is filled with filth. Clean up.

Your ignorance about Gitmo shows. Detained foreign national combatants aren’t subject to the Constitution. Anyone who was ever either an officer or an NCO in any branch of the Armed Forces, as well as any in a combat-related MOS/billet/specialty would know that the legal body governing prisoners is the military code of the detaining power, which would be in this case the Uniform Code of Military Justice. In any case, 5150’s aren’t sent to Gitmo, and the fact that you would suggest such pretty much makes it clear that you’re a paranoid nutcake  yourself.

• Brenda Kwang

So now everyone and anyone is mentally ill and you can be hauled off by police. Oh please. We need real change now in this effed up country. The constitution says we can protest and assemble peacefully. B a s t a r d s.

• What’s new

You are so clueless.
      5150 requires both police and doctor agreement.

It is a necessary tool in helping the mentally ill, who are often outkasts and solo.

I bet Kim’s parents are involved in this.

• Anonymous

You correct grammar below but misspell “outcasts” with a K.  Do you like the letter K? 

• truth

I love the letter K.    And you are repressing my creative rights!    I will now occupy your home in protest.

• Anonymous

When you threaten violence it’s really a cry for help.  Perhaps they will 5150 you for your racist violence threat. 

• Stan De San Diego

Use of the R word = admitted fail.

• Anon&o~

This is hip hop!

• Anon&o~

interesting thought, that his parents would be involved: this could be possible, although who thinks to 5150 their child.  maybe somebody who had genuine concern, though.  some misunderstanding or something.

still, the police do not need any doctor agreement to detain someone under 5150.  after detainment they then deliver the person to the doctor, for evaluation.  but as somebody who’s been 5150’d, the police can make the decision all on their own.

• Anonymous

Your are an idiot, Brenda. He is a danger to everyone around him. Why do you think they didn’t arrest Stony or Yoshua? Or the crazy guy who lies on the floor with a broken bike on Sproul? Because Alex is actually crazy, unlike those other attention-lovers on Sproul. 

• No

one would think that a cop has said “you have the right to remain silent” enough times to remember it.

• Hypocrisy

“You have the right to remain silent.” Sorry you actually dont, your insane. 

• What’s new

“you’re” insane.

I guess you aren’t a UCB student, huh?

• Anonymous

Gee whatsnew – do you find yourself often very annoyed at people for very minor things like grammar?  How is your mood today? And your energy level? Do you feel safe? 

• truth

I feel much safer now that Alex and his man-eating cat are locked away.  Thanks for asking.   But how about you?  Do you find yourself often very annoyed at people who point out grammatical errors?  Thanks for taking the time to post — it shows you are annoyed by me.  Knowing I’m under your skin makes this all the sweeter.  Thanks for that.

• Anonymous

Your hostility to the simple question of how your mood and energy level are today would be seen as pathological in a mental hospital, and would be used as grounds to deny you the ability to take a walk outside.  I hope you don’t find yourself 5150’d ever; your spitefulness will only hurt your case.  

• Chris Bryson

Spoken like a wonderful tool of the system.  You might want to think twice before laughing heartily at this case. 
            “First they came for the communists,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.
            Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
            Then they came for the Jews.

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.
            Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.”-Martin Niemoller

• Stan De San Diego

Spoken like a true foaming idiot, if you claim that a 72-hour hold for psychiatric evaluation is anything even on the same order of what the Nazis did in WWII.

• Anonymous

It’s not, but Stan and his buddies have to start somewhere to turn America into their gleaming vision of neo-conservative harmony.  On the other hand, Stan, I bet you wouldn’t do well after 72 hours in a mental hospital.  You haven’t got the sort of mental outlook that can tolerate serious critical examination. 

• Stan De San Diego

Thanks for reminding us what liberals do when they are incapable of having an intelligent discussion.

• http://www.facebook.com/ABrokenSoldier Lori Goodwin

You two need to stop bickering. Seriously. Back to the actual topic…

• Stan De San Diego

I think it’s really funny how I’m willing to compare events to say Stalin’s ‘Useful Idiots,’ but nobody else is allowed to make wild accusations.

• Same

Trollin’

• Stan the Troll

Stan the troll.

• Southeast

Alex is not locked away, if you want to know.

• Stephan

lolz, thats awesome.  he’s free like b4?

• John Galt

“I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” 

• Patrick

Can someone please give me information as to where Alex is being held. I am one of his closest friends and need to see him so that I can arrange for some sort of legal counsel.

• truth

He’s in the nut house.   To find him, just walk around listening for him to yell “Oh my god!  Where is my cat?”     Oh wait — there’s that vow of silence thing.  Nevermind.

• Anonymous

You respond to someone’s expression of concern for their friend with ridicule?  Look in the mirror. 

• Southeast

He is a very nice person. He is a very sane human being. He is free. He took his exam today if you want to know.

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1274462883 Terry Goffinet

We had a homeless person who was off his psych meds and drinking heavily verbally harass, threaten and bully people at at Occupy Riverside for several weeks and we could not get the police to take him in on a 5051 until he actually followed thru on his threat to harm someone.  Unfortunately this ended up be a person in a wheel chair he hit over the head when they refused to give him money.

• Psychology Student

That’s because they need consent from a doctor.

• Anonymous

Not to bring him for a 3 day evaluation.  Read the law, Psychology Student.  

• Rhotic1

For who can we compose a petition to free him or something?

• Anon

FREE ALEX KIM! 

Yep, that’s the solution: chant silly slogans.

• Southeast

Thank you!

• Sooutheast

Alex is free and O.K.  He took his final yesterday.
      Thank you for your support for Alex.

• Anon&o~

YAAAAY! Alex Kim is free YAAAAA!

• Sooutheast

He had been free  a few hours after the police(admin) brutality.
      Thanks.

• anon

wtf this guy was my apartment manager last year. he was hella chill. what’s wrong with the cops..

• Rhotic1

seriously, Alex is very level headed.  He vowed not to speak after his rights were taken away and arrested for using them; now, they see his silence speaking louder than he ever spoke, and they want to silence him. They’re absolutely suppressing even those who don’t speak. Insane.

• What’s new

Yeah, tell yourself that.
        A doctor has to support the 5150.

• Anonymous

“Counseling deans” etc on UC payroll and answering to the admins are also “qualified” to make such pronouncements.  They do an excellent job of getting themselves on the “treatment team” despite the obvious conflict of interest. 

• truth

OOOOh.   Scary stuff.   And what about the mind control drugs in our water system?   And then there’s those pesky Jews who all called in sick from work at the WTC on Sept 11.   And did you know that Pres Obama isn’t Christian???

Join the nutcases, pal.  Line forms to the right.

• Southeast

Your brain is filthy. Clean up!

• Southeast

Thank you so much.

• Ben

From what is known publicly this does seem like a clear abuse of the 5150 system and as other commenters have noted, once you get in a psychiatric hospital it can be hard to get out (quickly at least). 

Oldy but a Goody “On Being Sane in Insance Places” http://www.sciencemag.org/content/179/4070/250.short
    From the asbtract “It is clear that we cannot distinguish the sane form the insane in psychiatric hospitals. The hospital itself imposes a special environment in which the meanings of behavior can easily be misunderstood.” 

• truth

“From what is known publicly”.  Yep. That says it all.  You all know nothing, but are ready to create your conspiracy theories.   Nothing is known publicly.

• 143

<3 <3 Alex.

He's one of the sweetest and most loving people that I've ever met. When I was having a hard time last year, I'd often show up to class just because I knew he'd be there and would make the entire day better. 5150ing him is an inexcusable act.  Free Alex Kim! He's just doing his best to save the world.

• so much love

<3 <3 <3

• Stan De San Diego

Since when is acting like a incoherent fruitcake prerequisite for “saving the world?

No wonder more and more people think liberalism is a mental disorder.

• Anonymous

Why do you have so much hate for “liberals” Stan?  I hope you give up the hate.  You’d be a happier person that way. 

• Stan De San Diego

My dislike for liberals has to do with the fact that most of them are incapable of having rational discussions without making all sorts of silly-assed accusations. Sorry if you’re so wrapped up in your Occupy Cal trip, but anyone who read Alex’s letter in the Daily Cal last week can see that the guy has some issues, and is definitely not with the program.

• Stan Hates Everybody

Stan De San Diego: “Everyone who is not fit into exactly what I consider to be normal should be locked away. And if I don’t agree with you, you’re wrong.”

Take a step back and realize who you are and how you present yourself. Or just continue to bicker with everyone like a child.

• Sooutheast

Thank you so much for your support for Alex. 

• Emily

What country is this, again? Seems like the police don’t need to use credible reasons to lock people up these days – they didn’t even bother to plant some drugs on him.

• alaska

I have personally heard police officers taunting Alex over the last three weeks. Last week, when cops came to tell the occupants to clear their stuff from in front of some of the doors, Alex was walking around with his grabber picking up trash and the blond female cop, out of nowhere, told him, “You’d better watch out. You’re asking for it.”

I guess now he’s getting whatever the “it” was that she was alluding to. This makes me nauseous.

• Turtlemechs

Yeah that blond women cop is a super jerk. She over reacts a lot and has some sort of aggression/dominance issue

• Anonymous

Take a photo of her or get her badge #. 

• Anonymous

This might be her :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqVu8ahiIY&feature=related

• truth

I have personally heard Police say “Alex, if you think you are not an idiot, please respond.  If you stay silent, that means you agree that you are an idiot.”  And he didn’t say a thing, so that means he agrees.

• Anonymous

You lament the lack of public knowledge of the circumstances, and then mock someone who offers further information.  You sound confused.  

• Southeast

Your reasoning is too elementary, immature.
        You need to grow up.

• Southeast

Your brain is filthy. Clean up!

• Misinfo

this sounds like an arrest, not detainment

• Anonymous

The difference is here they don’t actually have to charge him with anything.  They just decide he needs “evaluation” or “diagnosis”.  Any behavior can be made to sound pathological on paper – not speaking, picking up trash with a grabber, living in a tent… enough at least to cover the cop or administrator or shrink ordering the detainment. 

• Five Oh Needs 5150

In a word, HUBRIS.

Mr. Kim is, well, lets say ‘marching to the beat of his own weird drum’, but there is nothing about him (publicly known) that justifies the use of 5150.

Recent events on campus make clear which parties pose the greatest danger to the campus community. It is the administration and the UCPD most deserving of that classification.

A little excerpt from UCPD’s code of ethics:
    “As a Law Enforcement Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind; to safeguard lives and property; to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder; and to respect the Constitutional rights of all men to liberty, equality and justice.”
    http://police.berkeley.edu/about_UCPD/code-ethics.html

• Anonymous

If UCPD wanted to help the dangerously crazy people of Berkley there are others they might have started with.  This is 100% about silencing dissent. 

• truth

nothing publicly known.    I sure hope if any of you have mental health issues, that ALL the details get released cuz you obviously don’t respect confidentiality at all.

• K

Does anyone have confirmation that this was related to his refusal to verbally engage?

• Anonymous

The cops would have had to write something on the form, but the form is a “medical record” so they won’t give it out citing “patient confidentiality”, unless Alex does some kind of waiver.  By then it will be 14 days later and the hospital will have somehow lost the original.  

• Psychology Students

And if they did release it you’d still be complaining, for the exact reason they’re not doing it. You do realize if they DID do it they could get sued?

It’s funny how this article doesn’t really give the cop’s point of view, it once again frames it as “THEY DON’T WANT TO GIVE US INFORMATION” when really police and doctors are trained to not just hand out information but witnesses will spout whatever they want. The media WANTS you to side with Alex because the one thing standing in the way of the media getting whatever they want is patient, victim, and witness confidentiality that the police and doctors diligently protect but the media would love nothing more than to tear away.

• Anonymous

Psychology Student – Here’s a suggested exercise for you to learn some empathy and not look at your future patients as their illness but as human beings.  Try going into a mental hospital for 3 days.  It will challenge your blind faith that that cops and psychiatrists and administrators do what is right and do not misuse 5150. 

• Anonymous

Alex’s lawyer (if he is allowed to talk to one) could also get confirmation.  They have ways to delay that from happening, based on the treatment needs of the “patient”. 

• Anonymous

woohoo!

• Asdasd

Wow so stupid! haha Seriously? Do they just want to stick it to him before finals or something? I use to have RESPECT for you police officers. Not anymore. 

• Anonymous

Also just the simple act of refusing to be “voluntarily committed” rather than involuntary is viewed by psychiatrists as proof Alex is “hostile” and is grounds for revoking privileges, keeping on intrusive 5 minute checks, and is used to explain to the judge at the 3 day hearing why he must be committed for longer.  If the psychiatrists can’t diagnose, which they can’t if he doesn’t speak, they can hold him for as long as they like.  This is mental health law, not science or reality or justice. 

• Anon&on

Mmhmm, the interpretations are bizarre and subjective and have legal authority.  Someone else decides your fate.  Scary.  Reminds me of hearing about Pelican Bay solitary confinement and how people end up there indefinitely on the whims of guards.

http://afsc.org/resource/solitary-confinement-facts

BTW, even if you’re sane before you get to a mental hospital, being there and everyone treating you as if you are messed up might make you lose it.

• Southeast

Alex is O.K. Do not worry!

• Anonymous

3 days before a hearing.  Psychiatrists *almost always in contact with deans or UC administrators* can ask for longer to evaluate, up to 14 days, after which they only have to schedule a hearing, not actually release.  Unless he already has a lawyer working on it and already has his own, non-UC affiliated psychiatrist to speak in his favor, they will hold him as long as they need to carefully “diagnose” him.  

• Anon&on

this is true, this happened to me: 3 + 14 + 14 days.  i stayed pretty silent, not knowing a thing about rights.  bad times.

good thing this is so public, though: there was even an article about Alex going into silence.  and by the way, how many meditators and buddhist-ish people go into silence?  least insane people i know.

• Anonymous

Happened to me too.  Trying to work out in a hospital room and was accused of being on drugs because of high heart rate; given a piss test.  Psychiatric patients only rights are to not be medicated (unless ordered to); to not be subject to electroconvulsive shock therapy or psycho surgery (unless ordered to)… 

• Anon&on

weird, i was also accused of being on drugs after being locked in for at least a week.  i don’t know how they figured i could have access to drugs.  why so suspicious?  sometimes you see what you look for.

i refused to take medication and that was a lot of why i had to stay so long.

• Stan De San Diego

Ever consider that your people would be less likely to consider you a kook if you at least attempted to use proper English grammar, spelling, and punctuation?

• Anon&o~
          • Stan De San Diego

Well, thanks for confirming you’re an idiot.

• Anonymous

LMAO, it’s always fun to see Occutards go down.

• Anonymous

Yes because words like “kook” and “occutard” are the height of reasoned discussion. 

• Stan De San Diego

And you think feeding the paranoia of the mentally disturbed is any better?

• Anonymous

I’m sorry for feeding your paranoia, Stan. I understand how this can be scary for you – if they lock up Kim for 1 letter, you are worried that you might be next. Try to give up the hate and the fear, you might sleep better at night and maybe the bedwetting will stop too.

• Anon&on

know anything about how to visit?  like verifying where he is and getting access is that all confidential and air tight, u know, for his safety?

• Anonymous

Best hope of making that happen is a mental health lawyer, though these are often affiliated with the hospital or the university too. The hospital won’t admit to even having him if he hasn’t signed a waiver; the university will play up that he needs “evaluation and/or treatment” to reduce his credibility to the media.  Those BAMN lawyers should be pounding down doors in a legal sense for this guy. 

• Anon&o~

i got another idea: get  5150’d and end up one door over!  call me crazy, but it just might work.

• Anon&o~

PS: BAMN, really?  they get a lot of flak, but this is the sort of thing they come to the rescue for?  they might be heroes yet.

• Anonymous

I hope they do help. 

• What’s new

I bet they don’t.  Just watch.

• What’s new

If you need BAMN to take care of your rights, then your rights are gone.

• Stan De San Diego

If you think anyone takes BAMN seriously, you’re as kooky as Alex.

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous

Soviet word for this is “psikhushka” according to Wikipedia.  Sure Breslauer would love to add this to the list of actionable means of dealing with protesters. 

• Anon&on

lolz… off topic but from http://evcp.chance.berkeley.edu/biography.htm:
      Professor Breslauer is the author or editor of 12 books on Soviet and Russian politics and foreign relations, most recently Gorbachev and Yeltsin as Leaders (Cambridge University Press, 2002). He has served as Editor of the scholarly quarterly, Post-Soviet Affairs (1992 to the present).

• Anonymous

Wherever he is at whatever undisclosed location, UC Admins are making sure he has the finest “treatment” SHIP will temporarily pay for in part.  After all, we clearly can’t have anyone even a little crazy at Cal.  Admins will argue that, after Virginia Tech, we have to defend against potentially dangerous potentially armed potentially disaffected potentially stereotyped Asian men. 

• Anon&on

like after WWII had to protect against japanese anybody.  i bet race played a part in this, sub/unconscious as it may be

• concerned citizen, again

ps: quoting article ~5150:

“That section allows officers to take into custody any individual who ‘as a result of mental disorder, is a danger to others, or to himself or herself'”

Seeing how Alex isn’t violent and has been silent, seems like the police just decided to slap the label ‘mental disorder’ on him so they could get rid of him.  Not too different to how the new 1031 Indefinite Detainment Bill could work, which gives “the US Government the right to hold U.S. Citizens without rights to a trial or lawyer, forever.”(1)  But 3 days not forever and Alex will get out be fine, so no paranoia, but this reeks of the state abusing power and going Orwellian.
    (1) http://www.dvorak.org/blog/2011/12/11/will-obama-veto-the-1031-indefinite-detainment-bill-no/

• Anonymous

Refusing to speak with a cop is NOT proof that someone is psychiatrically dangerous.  Free Alex Kim now. 

• Anonymous

What if the water board him? Will he talk?

• Southeast

You are 1000% right. Thank you.

• Anonymous

Psychiatrists will use his silence as “proof” of insanity, requiring further involuntary commitment.  Also, citing “medical confidentiality” they will refuse to answer any questions about this process.  Sounds to me like the UC Administration and UCPD has found an awfully convenient means of extra-judicial punishment for those who express dissent in eccentric enough ways.  Rather than see a lawyer, Alex Kim is being searched for sharps and kept on a 5 min suicide watch, in an observation ward full of schizophrenic heroin addicts.  What a horrible infringement of rights. 

• psychstudent

why are you pointing a finger at psychiatrists? the police are the only ones whose actions ought to be condemned. a psychiatrist can differentiate between someone who is refusing, on principle, to speak, and someone with a genuine psychological disorder. 

• Anonymous

If he gets out tomorrow I’ll believe you, psych student.  But in every case I’ve seen and in the case I experienced first hand, the psychiatrists are more than willing to “team” with the cops and administrators and are perfectly happy to take 3 or 14 days, just to be “sure”.  

• Psychology Student

Wow, generalize much? People like you are the reason Occupy is going to fail. You criminalize absolutely everyone – you’re the stereotype on every cartoon, the “FIGHT THE MAN” hippy who thinks anyone in a professional career must be conspiring against you. Get over yourself.

• Anonymous

Why is it only an MD or a PhD is qualified to tell that someone is “sane”?  I’m sorry to point out that peer-reviewed scientific literature (e.g. Rosenhan 1973) is rather not on your side in terms of your reliability.  Or are you not supportive of things like evidence-based medicine?  

• Stan De San Diego

Evasion noted. You didn’t even try to address Psychology Student’s point. You just ignored it and kept on foaming.

• Anonymous

Psychology Student’s original point was that mental health staff can recognize sane from insane.  However there is a robust body of peer-reviewed literature (in Science and in other journals, notably, including the citation given) that places Psychology Student’s point in doubt. Stan, remember what the counselor said to you – just because you think it does not mean it’s always right or that everyone agrees with you. 

• Stan De San Diego

Psy Student’s point was that if you act uncooperative or exhibit the same behavior that got you into a place, don’t act surprised if you have a hard time getting out. Why does it shock some of you that people who act like kooks eventually get treated like kooks?

• Anonymous

You use the word “kook” a lot.  Your mother called you that when you cried as a little boy, didn’t she?  It’s not fair, Stan.  It’s not.  I wish things could have been different for you.  Psychology Student (please use correct names, Stan) did not say that at all.  Your mother told you that when she called you a kook, and now you are doing what we call “projection”.  I’m sorry she did that Stan.  It’s OK that you cried, Stan. 

• Stan De San Diego

OK WHATEVER

Uh… yea. They side with the cops most of the time. Unless you’ve been forced into a psych ward because of an overzealous cop. Like I did. Just because I’m a combat vet. Get over YOURSELF. 

• concrrnd citzn

we’ll see.

• concerned citizen

Anyone know where they took Alex?  Possibly Alta Bates Herrick campus?  Sometimes 5150 means the police bring you to a mental hospital for 3+ days.

• http://www.facebook.com/john.delmos John Delmos

Prob John George.

• Anonymous

3 working days.  Weekends and holidays don’t count.  I hope he gets freed by a pissed off BAMN or ACLU lawyer.  When you see someone at a mental hospital evaluation ward having a seizure or an acid flashback or a schizophrenic episode, when a college administrator shows up to ask the shrinks to hold you longer, these things really test a person’s faith in justice.  

• Anonymous

A UCB senior? Maybe his mom called and reported him missing.