Income inequality slide show projected onto Anna Head complex

For the past couple weeks, a slide show projection on the Anna Head West student housing project currently under construction has drawn attention with its “Occupy the Wall (across the) Street” message.

UC Berkeley Labor Center staff members first projected a slide show containing charts, data, quotes and more information about income inequality in America onto the complex from the third story window of the Institute for Research on Labor and Employmentbuilding on the evening of Dec. 8.As of now, the center staff members plan to project the slide show each Thursday night, according to Rebecca Graham, communications specialist at the center.

“I think this was just a fun way for us to present … the data that support this ever-widening income and inequality and wealth gap that we have in the U.S.,” said Sylvia Allegretto, a research economist at the institute who helped contribute to the presentation.

The center also used information compiled by Jared Bernstein, a senior fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities in Washington D.C. and former chief economist for Vice President Joe Biden. Bernstein attended the Dec. 8 launch of the projection.

“It’s very important to inform this debate that we’re having with factual information, and if you can do it in a way that’s fun and interesting, all the better,” Bernstein said.

The project is currently possible because the scaffolded building is covered in white plastic, creating a large blank surface onto which the slides are projected.

The Capital Projects office, which oversees campus construction projects, currently has no issue with the projection and thinks it is fun and creative, according to Christine Shaff, communications director for facilities services.

• How many of these malcontents pissing and moaning about “income inequality” are merely clueless children who graduated with fluff humanities and liberal arts degrees, and are shocked to find out that there’s not much in the way of career opportunities if you chose to major in some left-wing propaganda course of study with no real marketable skills? People who engage in this type of nonsense clearly have way t0o much free time on their hands, mainly because they are unemployable. On that note, I’ m going to finish my coffee and head into work…

• PeopleIsStupid

By this logic, you actually prove the point of liberals – the people that probably put in the most effort (engineering/science majors) will never make as much money as the big CEOs with fluffy business degrees who make what are effectively common sense decisions (and sometimes even fail at that).

• Anonymous

Many CEOs in high tech have science/engineering degrees.

• PeopleIsStupid

…But most don’t…

• Anonymous

Most? You have some data on this or did you PIROOYA?

• Anonymous

Quick, find some income to redistribute.

• The lefties are already practicing “handle distribution” where they take the names of the most reputable posters (calipenguin, et. al.) and use them to post their own nonsensical drivel, simply because people identified the nonsense under their original monikers and simply chose not to read it.

• Stan De San Diego

Technically I have no original moniker. It’s not even worth posting here besides for the lolz – it’s not like anything you say here matters anyway (ie it’s fairly clear from the fact that these troll posts haven’t been deleted that nobody moderates or reads these comments).

• It matters enough that some of you are obsessed with me and insist on hijacking my name.

• Stan De San Diego

Wait does this mean that Tony M = Stan De San Diego or are people stealing your username?

• Stan De San Diego

Why does this even rate an article?

• You think the Daily Cal is interested in real journalism? Come on now, you know better. It’s a PR effort for progressives…

• Not Tony M

…I assume you think fox news and msnbc are “fair and balanced” then?

• SandyO

Photos of the slideshow debut event can be found on the
    Labor Center’s facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10151013260120314.766483.18618910313&type=1

• Anonymous

We can thank Obama for accelerating this disparity. His economic record pathetic.

In a recent speech in Kansas, our revisionist Obama continues to lie to Americans saying, “Remember that in those years, in 2001 and 2003, Congress passed two of the most expensive tax cuts in history, and what did they get us? The slowest job growth in half a century. Massive deficits that have made it much harder to pay for the investments that built this country.”

Here is what really happened. Those Bush tax cuts quickly ended the 2001 recession, despite the contractionary economic impacts of 9/11, and the economy continued to grow for another 73 months. After the rate cuts were all fully implemented in 2003, the economy created 7.8 million new jobs and the unemployment rate fell from over 6% to 4.4%. Real economic growth over the next 3 years doubled from the average for the prior 3 years, to 3.5%.

In response to the rate cuts, business investment spending, which had declined for 9 straight quarters, reversed and increased 6.7% per quarter. That is where the jobs came from. Manufacturing output soared to its highest level in 20 years. The stock market revived, creating almost $7 trillion in new shareholder wealth. From 2003 to 2007, the S&P 500 almost doubled. Capital gains tax revenues had doubled by 2005, despite Bush’s 25% cut in the capital gains rate.

The deficit in the last budget adopted by Republican Congressional majorities was $161 billion for fiscal 2007. Today that deficit is nearly 10 times as much. Total federal revenues under Bush soared by nearly 30%, from $1.991 trillion in 2001 to $2.568 trillion in 2007. The day the Democrat Congressional majorities took office, January 3, 2007, the unemployment rate was 4.6%. George Bush’s economic policies, “the failed policies of the past” in Obama’s rhetoric, had set a record of 52 straight months of job creation.

What has continued to fail us now is that Obama’s own policies, the exact opposite of Reaganomics in every detail, have failed to produce any timely real recovery from the last recession. Before this last recession, since the Great Depression recessions in America have lasted an average of 10 months, with the longest previously at 16 months. But here we are today 48 months after the last recession started and there is still no real recovery. Instead, we have record poverty, and record extended unemployment.

They can’t say that is because the recession was so bad, because the historical record in America is that the deeper the recession the stronger the recovery. Based on the historical record, we should be ending the second year of a booming economy right now. The failure to achieve that is the responsibility of Barack Obama.

Obama lies all the time and the Lib media lap it up and pass it on with no critical analysis.  The media sold this empty suit, marx loving, America destroying Clown.  He must be voted out next year.

• Stan De San Diego

Why do you post these ridiculously long posts here? Do you think anybody actually reads them?

• Anonymous

Yes

• Stan De San Diego

Then you sir, are sadly mistaken

• Anonymous

And you know this, how?