Berkeley’s unemployment rate drops in November, lowest in more than two years

The city of Berkeley’s unemployment rate fell to 9.1 percent in November, the lowest it has been for more than two years, according to preliminary figures released Friday by the California Employment Development Department.

The city’s unemployment rate has been dropping since July of this year, and November marks this year’s lowest, coming in under October’s previous low of 9.6 percent. November’s rate is also Berkeley’s lowest since February 2009.

Berkeley’s unemployment rate in November comes in under Alameda County’s — at 9.6 percent in November — and the state’s, at 11.3 percent, according to the department. The national unemployment rate was 8.6 in November.

The number of people employed in Berkeley rose from 52,500 in October to 52,800 in November, according to the preliminary figures. The city’s total labor force in November was 58,100, of which 5,300 were unemployed, according to the figures.

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.

• Anonymous

Fact: Many of these jobs are for pizza delivery!!!!

• Anonymous

Unemployment in construction is 21.2%, I wish these guys would tell the truth. We all need to education ourself in this tough market only way is a degree or change your career.. search online for High Speed Universities for career advice

• Stan De San Diego

lol you know that you’re posting this on the newspaper for uc berkeley right? AKA pretty much everybody reading this is already at a university… SPAM FAIL LOL