Starting forward Solomon to miss two games with stress fracture

Cal men’s basketball forward Richard Solomon will miss the next two games with a left foot injury, head coach Mike Montgomery announced Monday. The starter will undergo further evaluation on what appears to be a stress fracture or stress reaction.

Solomon initially broke the news last night on Twitter: “Stress fracture in my foot… Smh this has not been my ideal year. Not at all what I expected.”

The sophomore had previously been suspended for an undisclosed conduct violation, missing games against San Diego State and San Jose State at the start of the month. He is the team’s leading rebounder at 6.9 boards per game, while also averaging 6.6 points.

“We hope to have him back on the court, after Christmas, in time for the start of the Pac-12 season,” Montgomery said.

True freshman David Kravish will likely start in Solomon’s stead. The wiry forward has started two games this season, and has received consistent praise from Montgomery for having a knack for finding the ball. Averaging 5.2 points and 6.0 rebounds, Kravish is tied with Solomon for a team-leading 13 blocks. He is also averaging 20.9 minutes per game to Solomon’s 20.3.

The Bears will host UCSB tonight at 7:30 p.m. before visiting UNLV on Friday. They begin conference play against USC on Dec. 29.