Occupy Cal returns for the spring semester

Occupy Cal is back.

On Tuesday evening, demonstrators held a general assembly meeting on the steps of Sproul Hall to discuss how to rally support for the movement, which garnered national attention during the fall semester.

About 20 participants attended the meeting, which lasted almost two hours and revolved around planning Occupy Cal and Open University actions during the first week of spring semester classes and deciding how to publicize the movement to increase its momentum.

UC Berkeley sophomore Elana Eden said a general assembly meeting held Monday also involved some preliminary planning for the movement heading into the new semester.

The Tuesday meeting attendees discussed facilitating a general assembly meeting Jan. 17 to reintroduce the movement and seek support for a Jan. 19 rally, which could occur in solidarity with protests at UC Riverside during the UC Board of Regents meeting. Suggestions for how to name the rally ranged from “We’re still here” to titles focusing on the spring season, such as “Spring into action.”

Campus administrative assistant and alumnus Juan Garcia said the first week of classes “is the best time to grab people” and increase involvement by strengthening the group’s committees, which serve functions such as providing food and artwork to support protesters.

Meeting participants also discussed new developments that will affect the protest movement, including a financial aid plan for middle income families rolled out by campus administrators Dec. 14.

Senior Zack Aslanian-Williams said the Occupy Cal movement will also face pressure to relate its actions to the national presidential election this year.

“There is this divide between what the Democrats are about and what people really need,” he said.

The Occupy Cal protesters will continue to meet in the coming days to further plan logistics for actions during the first week of classes, including scheduling speakers for the Jan. 19 rally and publicizing the events.

Alisha Azevedo is the assistant university news editor.

• Jun

I like the general message of the Occupy Cal situation BUT what I hate is how after night rallies when the general public goes home, the “protesters” start smoking weed AND drink bottles of beer AND play loud music -> basically turning it into a party. After that incident (happened on many occasions), I just gave up and thought to myself, “Okay, this is NOT what I want the Occupy Movement to look like after they give a big speech: music, beer and weed.”

If they want to be taken seriously, then they should have a consistent attitude about what they want presented, especially since Cal is a place where cameras seem to shine on nowadays. 

• student

I would like them to have the basic respect for those of us who are here to learn, and not shut down our classes.

• CoCo

do all you haters just sit at home on your computers and judge other people??? Rather than creating negative and hateful energy be a part of something positive.

• Tony M

I’m doing something positive. I have a real job in the private sector, and I pay taxes. What the hell do you do?

• Anonymous

Part of critical thinking is making judgements. If you can’t intellectually deal with criticism, you will have a hard time living in a free society.

• Guest

Lol, 20 participants is pretty weak.  And I bet that at least 15 of them were professional protesters who have zero connection to UC.

• Miriam_B

The movement itself may or may not have merit, but the occupiers are like herpes: irritating, don’t care about their victims  and  won’t go away.

• Anonymous

The Occutards should be in DC

Obama’s crony capitalism at work…..

Last week, layoffs were announced at the University of Mississippi Medical Center due in part to the 80 million dollars that it will cost to implement a new computer system named EPIC Systems, Obama’s newly mandated electronic medical records system.
    Naturally, the system The Clown is forcing on an entire nation of medical professionals and hospitals is the same system owned and operated by Judith Faulkner, one of his own big donors. 
    Obama crony Faulkner is also a big donor to the Democrat Party. Not surprisingly, besides affording her the lucrative, crony capitalist business deal, Obama also put Faulkner in a key role on the Health Information Technology Policy Committee, the committee responsible for implementing the President’s e-records policy. She has become known as Obama’s medical records czar.  
    As hospitals and doctors are forced to launch their own EPIC Systems portals, the costs are forcing hard layoff choices for administrators. All to implement what many call a flawed system.
    Representative Tom Price (R, GA), a medical doctor, scoffs at Obama’s EPIC Systems e-record program. Price is not amused by the government-speak bestowed on this e-records systems, those “meaningful use” standards that he calls “anything but useful or meaningful.”
    Once again, the Obama media covers for their empty suit economy wreaking Clown.

• Stan De San Diego

The Occupy people are merely doing the dirty work of the Democrat Party in diverting attention from the miserable failure of the current POTUS.

• Anonymous

Obama’s economic record….FAIL,
        yet Clowns posting here continually defend him…[email protected] stupidity, ignorance, cluelessness.

Every day, the Obama’s government takes in $6 billion and spends $10 billion.  This means that every day the Ofraudo spends $4 billion more dollars than he takes in.
        The real unemployment rate is a jaw-dropping 11 percent.  After almost 3 years, Oclown is still clueless.
        Every fifth adult you pass on your way to work is now out of work thanks to Ofraudo’s failed policies.
        College graduates are now 34% less likely to find a job under Oclownie than they were under President George W. Bush. 
        Every seventh person you pass on the sidewalk now relies on food stamps.
        The ravages of the Obongo economy now mean that more Americans live under the federal poverty line than at any time in U.S. history since records have been kept.
        Under The Empty Suit in Chief, every fifth child in America now lives in poverty.

• They should be protesting the last election and the next if they knew the truth

• ’13

not again…

• crustyrusty

how about one MORE time.oh yeah!

• Anonymous

Occutards, protest Barack Ofraud for buying votes:

Annually, the nation’s food stamp program–officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)–costs taxpayers $89 billion, a figure that has more than doubled under President Barack Obama.   The number of Americans receiving food stamps has skyrocketed in recent years.  Today, 46 million Americans–1 out of 7 citizens–receive food stamps, a jump of more than two-thirds prior to Mr. Obama’s vast expansion of the program.
        Sen. Sessions’s letter to Sec. Vilsack points out that the spike in food stamps has outpaced the nation’s rise in unemployment and is largely the result of the so-called categorical eligibility rules that automatically gives food stamps to individuals eligible for other federal programs, regardless of income levels.

• Jake S

We had a financial collapse under Obama, so yeah, we’d expect that more people would need help getting food. Plus, if we really want to save money…our annual ‘defense’ budget is over 15x more than the figure you give for this food-stamp program. One helps people (guess which, lol). The other does the opposite.

• Guest222

Go look at the actual numbers. It’s not the defense budget busting the budget, but the entitlement programs and interest on the national debt.

• Anonymous

So defending the US does not help us?

Your comparison of the budget for defense and food stamps is meaningless.

You must have missed the news about Obama cutting the defense budget. What other programs has he cut?

Did you miss this part of my post, “…the spike in food stamps has outpaced the nation’s rise in unemployment…automatically gives food stamps to individuals eligible for other federal programs regardless of income levels.”