Eclectic lineups set to grace local stages

As you savor the memory of your last home-cooked meal and your mind goes back to study mode, the books are going to be piling up.

Thankfully, you’re in the Bay Area, and there are numerous ways to find distractions from studying. What better way to “rest” from essays or projects than by immersing yourself in the variety of Bay Area concerts these next four months.

As of this writing, Berkeley’s Greek Theatre will remain empty until electro-rock charmers Foster the People drop by in June. Thankfully, the Fox Theater, which is only a quick BART/bus ride to Oakland, is heavily booked for the next few months with a wide variety of genres.

Local DIY favorite tUnE-yArDs, brandishing her eccentric loops and layers of quirky yet infectious melodies, will be making a stop at the Fox. Hip-hop breakout Childish Gambino will be dropping by later in April in support of his debut studio album Camp with sick beats, rapid-fire rhymes and an ever-lasting supply of dick jokes. Future Fox shows include old-school gritty punks Social Distortion, reggae group Rebelution and the ever-so-soothing Snow Patrol.

Perhaps you’re more interested in sampling the lesser known local artists. Although most local venues are 21 and over, these acts are a can’t-miss if you’re looking for something new. For those wanting to check out as many genres as possible, this Thursday’s show at the Independent is one you can’t miss. Headlining are the electronica power duo the Limousines, with support from the funky-disco-rock fusion that is the Hundred Days as well as breezy beach favorites AB & the Sea.

Before then, check out grungy singer/songwriter Ty Segall as he dishes out nostalgic garage-rock tomorrow at the Mezzanine.

While there aren’t as many festivals during the spring as there are during summer and winter, Noise Pop remains one of the most popular indie festivals in the Bay Area, with venues spanning from Oakland to San Francisco.

This year’s lineup includes the psychedelically extravagant band The Flaming Lips, as well as the distortion-crazed duo known as Sleigh Bells. Wye Oak, The Dodos and Built to Spill will be playing shows as well, in addition to the multitude of other acts gracing the stages this year.

But even if all of that is still not enough for you — and you have cash to spare — there are a few major name bands touring the area this semester. Before they each headline their respective days at Coachella, Radiohead and the Black Keys will both make stops in the Bay Area.

Radiohead, who haven’t been in the Bay since they headlined the first Outside Lands Music and Arts festival back in 2008, will play at the HP Pavilion in San Jose while the Black Keys will take on the Oracle Arena in Oakland.
With so many options to choose from, it appears that most students won’t be at a loss for “study music.”