New sandwich shop opens on Telegraph

The Toaster Oven is a new sandwich shop that just opened on Telegraph Avenue.
Giana Tansman/Staff

The Toaster Oven became the newest choice in Southside eateries Monday morning, opening its doors on Telegraph Avenue.

Next to Chipotle Mexican Grill and across the street from Sam’s Market, the Telegraph shop is the first East Bay location of a Bay Area chain that sells sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts at multiple locations in San Francisco. According to Nicholas Davidson, the Telegraph location’s manager, The Toaster Oven boasts quality sandwiches at a good price.

Have a question for Davidson or other Berkeley business managers? Ask anyone a question via Your Direct Line.

Though the business is close to Subway, Smart Alec’s and multiple other sandwich-serving restaurants in the Southside area, Davidson said he does not consider the other businesses competitors.

“We haven’t tried to poach customers,” Davidson said. “We know there is so much offered around.”

But Jorge Mandoca, a manager at the Subway on Bancroft Way, said he does not understand why another sandwich shop opened in an area already populated with similar establishments.

However, according to Miguel Sanchez, general manager of Smart Alec’s — which is located near the corner of Telegraph and Durant Avenue —  there is always competition in the restaurant business.

“All you can do is keep your quality up (and) keep your service friendly,” Sanchez said.

According to Davidson, the shop has not done very much marketing other than fliers and word-of-mouth but has already seen many customers.

Soumya Karlamangla of The Daily Californian contributed to this report.

View The Toaster Oven in a larger map

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

I’m all for small business and free enterprise, and no offense intended towards working people trying to make a buck, but shouldn’t a sandwich shop pay for advertising instead of getting a free plug masquerading as a news story?

• Guest

It’s still news, especially considering the huge number of vacant storefronts on telegraph.  Should the DC refuse to report on newsworthy events if doing so might have a secondary effect of drawing attention to a business?

If it’s genuinely newsworthy, fine. It just came across more as a promotional than a news story to me…