Cal names Wes Chandler new wide receivers coach

Wes Chandler will be Cal’s new wide receivers coach, head coach Jeff Tedford announced on Wednesday. Chandler played 11 years in the NFL, where he reached four Pro Bowls and set a record in 1982 for most receiving yards per game.

“Wes is a quality person who brings all of the things to the table that Cal stands for,” Tedford said in a statement. “He’s a great football coach who is an outstanding technician. Just as importantly, he cares about the kids off the field and will be able to help them reach their full potential in all areas of their life.”

Chandler starred at Florida from 1974-77 as a wide receiver, receiving All-American first team All-SEC honors his final two years in Gainesville, Fla. He was selected third overall in the 1978 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints, where he played for four seasons. He later played for the Chargers and the 49ers. When he retired in 1988, Chandler ranked 13th in NFL history in receptions and 12th in receiving yards.

His previous assistant coaching experience includes stints with the Browns, Cowboys and Vikings.

“It starts at the top and coach Tedford and I share a lot of the same sentiments regarding what the game of football is all about,” Chandler said. “It’s more than just football, it’s also about the players and their well-being in the classroom and off the football field. It’s about teaching them basic fundamentals so they will be able to maximize their potential when they walk on the field, making them students of the game. We share that goal so it was a perfect marriage for me.”

Chandler takes over for Eric Kiesau, who left on Tuesday to become the offensive coordinator at Washington.