Cal names Wes Chandler new wide receivers coach

Wes Chandler will be Cal’s new wide receivers coach, head coach Jeff Tedford announced on Wednesday. Chandler played 11 years in the NFL, where he reached four Pro Bowls and set a record in 1982 for most receiving yards per game.

“Wes is a quality person who brings all of the things to the table that Cal stands for,” Tedford said in a statement. “He’s a great football coach who is an outstanding technician. Just as importantly, he cares about the kids off the field and will be able to help them reach their full potential in all areas of their life.”

Chandler starred at Florida from 1974-77 as a wide receiver, receiving All-American first team All-SEC honors his final two years in Gainesville, Fla. He was selected third overall in the 1978 NFL draft by the New Orleans Saints, where he played for four seasons. He later played for the Chargers and the 49ers. When he retired in 1988, Chandler ranked 13th in NFL history in receptions and 12th in receiving yards.

His previous assistant coaching experience includes stints with the Browns, Cowboys and Vikings.

“It starts at the top and coach Tedford and I share a lot of the same sentiments regarding what the game of football is all about,” Chandler said. “It’s more than just football, it’s also about the players and their well-being in the classroom and off the football field. It’s about teaching them basic fundamentals so they will be able to maximize their potential when they walk on the field, making them students of the game. We share that goal so it was a perfect marriage for me.”

Chandler takes over for Eric Kiesau, who left on Tuesday to become the offensive coordinator at Washington.

• loverspoint

I think a great new fit at the DL coach position would be Bryant Young

• loverspoint

So far not one recruit that gave a verbal is doing a 180 and heading to Washington, and I doubt they will.  

• loverspoint

Of coarse all we can do is speculate. Cal has already hired a better receivers coach. I think Lupoi was a mediocre DL coach that recruited players mainly for the position which he coached. You look at Lupoi’s recruiting and you will notice a pattern of importance in his recruiting 1-DL, 2-LB, 3-RB, 4-DB, 5-QB, 6-OL. His 5 star recruits were mainly DL and LB which made Lupoi look good as a coach. An argument could be made that Lupoi hurt the team when he concentrated his recruiting efforts on the position in which he coached.

• loverspoint

Chandler is a big improvement over Kiesau. It looks like Cal is making the shift from a run dominated offense to a pass oriented offense. Cal still looks to have a great running game but for once the recruiting has shifted to Offensive linemen and WR’s. This is an area of recruiting in which Tosh Lupoi suffered. He mainly recruited defensive linemen and linebackers. Chandler will be a major attraction by himself.

• 74Bear

If in fact Cal is moving to a pass oriented offense starting a legitimate D1 QB might be in order.