Agenda for Feb. 1 ASUC Senate meeting

At the ASUC Senate’s second spring semester meeting Wednesday,  the newly hired student conduct independent hearing officer will address the senate, and a bill to support the Feb. 13 Day of Action to overturn Proposition 209 will be introduced.

Lee Maranto — hired as part of the revised Campus Code of Student Conduct — is scheduled as a guest speaker at 8 p.m., according to ASUC President Vishalli Loomba in last week’s senate minutes. Lee is charged with presiding over all student conduct hearings, among other duties.

The Day of Action bill — authored by CalSERVE Senator Sydney Fang and CalSERVE Senator  Kevin Williams — states that, if passed, the senate would support reinstating affirmative action and overturning Proposition 209, which prohibits affirmative action in admission to public institutions.

The senate previously endorsed affirmative action when the ASUC unanimously passed a bill last semester in support of SB 185, which would have authorized the University of California and California State University to consider race, gender and ethnicity in undergraduate admission decisions. That bill was vetoed by Gov. Jerry Brown in October.

Per usual process, the bill will be passed on to committee for further discussion and will likely be considered by the entire senate at a future meeting.

Read the full agenda below.

Chloe Hunt is the lead student government reporter.