UC Berkeley spends $1,300 to purchase x-rated domain names

UC Berkeley may be known for its academics, athletics and the occasional protest, but the campus administration has paid about $1,300 thus far to stop pornographic websites from buying .xxx domain names associated with the campus.

Following other colleges across the country in the fall semester, the campus bought the domain names — which are used specifically for pornography-related materials — in order to safeguard the campus’ name and trademark against being used in an inappropriate manner, according to campus manager of science communications Robert Sanders.

“We wouldn’t want to be associated with the kind of industries that would use that domain name,” Sanders said in an email.

Trademark owners, including schools, were able to apply to purchase the .xxx domain names from September to October 2011 before members of the public could buy them, according to the ICM registry website. The campus Office of Marketing and Business Outreach worked with GoDaddy.com to register the names, Sanders said.

The campus bought six trademarked names — ucberkeley.xxx, universityofcaliforniaberkeley.xxx, uc-berkeley.xxx, universityofcalifornia-berkeley.xxx, goldenbears.xxx and cal.xxx — at $200 per domain name for 10 years, according to Sanders.

The campus also blocked the domain calbears.xxx from hosting adult content for one year for $101.99, according to Sanders. This domain cost more because Cal Bears is not a registered trademarked name, he said.

UC spokesperson Dianne Klein said the UC Office of the President is aware of the .xxx domain names but declined to comment further as to whether the office has purchased any.