Maier, Reilly take lead for Bears in weekend races

The Cal track and field team had a weekend of record-breaking performances in a variety of events.

The Don Kirby Invitational held Friday in Albuquerque, N.M., as a one-day event featured mostly jumping and sprint events while the Flotrack Husky Indoor Classic lasted Friday and Saturday in Seattle and saw an emphasis on middle and longer distance running.

On Friday, junior Deborah Maier, running in her debut for the indoor season, slashed her own school record in the 5000 meters by more than 30 seconds. Maier redshirted last season but set the previous school record two years ago, also at the Husky Indoor Classic. During the fall, Maier placed 11th at the NCAA Championships.

Maier’s time of 15:29.24 stands as the fifth fastest collegiate mark of all time in the women’s indoor 5000 meters. The record is also the top time at Cal in the event under any conditions — indoors or outdoors — besting the previous time set by Kirsten O’Hara in 1985.

“Deborah has been an All-American in cross country twice and in track once — she has so much raw talent,” coach Tony Sandoval said. “We think she is going to have a great season.”

Fifth year senior Chelsea Reilly ran her career debut in the 3000 meters and set a school record of 9:00.86; her time beat the previous record set by Maier in 2010 by nearly 20 seconds.

Reilly’s time is well below the NCAA automatic qualifying standard meaning she will run at the Championship meet. Her time ranks third among NCAA Division I runners this season.

“That race was very special for Chelsea,” Sandoval said. “It was her first time running the event so setting the record is quite remarkable … she has had to battle back from injury and that has made her stronger.”

In the field events, senior Linda Oseso broke the women’s weight throw record for the second time this season with a distance of 62-4.00.

Oseso set her mark on her first attempt of the day. She first set the record in the season-opening Cherry & Silver Invitational in Albuquerque, where she went 60-9.50. she has thrown over 60 feet in all three meets this season.

On the men’s side Collin Jarvis moved up to second on Cal’s all-time performer list with his mark of 7:55.11 in the 3000 meters. Freshman Jonte Grant had a six-inch improvement in the men’s long jump and placed second with a best of 24-1.75.