Player of the Week: Justin Cobbs

Basketball vs. Arizona State 2/4/12
Sean Goebel/File

After Saturday’s win over Oregon State, Cal men’s basketball coach Mike Montgomery was asked about the play of point guard Justin Cobbs. The sophomore transfer dished out a career-high 13 assists in the contest.

“I would be disappointed and shocked if he wasn’t Player of the Week,” Montgomery said.

Well, it’s likely that Montgomery is neither disappointed nor shocked after Cobbs was indeed named Pac-12 Player of the Week by Commissioner Larry Scott and, more importantly, the Daily Cal sports desk’s Player of the Week.

“I didn’t think there could be much of a question based on the numbers he put up,” Montgomery said on Monday. “I don’t know how he couldn’t have won given the performance he had this week.”

Cobbs scored a career-high 28 points on Thursday, willing the Bears to a three-point squeaker over Oregon. He went 13-for-19 from the field with eight assists and four steals. In 38 minutes of play, he did not turn the ball over once.

On Saturday, he added 10 points and was a perfect 4-for-4 from the charity stripe in 40 minutes of action.

“I’m a lot more confident, picking spots when to be aggressive,” Cobbs said. “Against Oregon State, we had guys going; I didn’t need to score the ball.”

• Anonymous

I must admit I’ve yet to see all the films nominated, but you make a good case for Plummer. It’ll be interesting to see how it turns out.