This Week in Sound: Noise Pop Extravaganza!

noise-pop-fest-2012-ifc
Noise Pop/Courtesy

Starting this Tuesday through Sunday, San Francisco’s annual Noise Pop festival comes back for its 20th year! One of the biggest indie music, art and film events in the Bay Area, Noise Pop will span across venues throughout SF, as well as the Fox Theater in Oakland as well. Headliners this year include The Flaming Lips, Sleigh Bells, Built to Spill and Bob Mould. Plenty of local favorites such as Release the Sunbird, Foxtails Brigade and The Dodos will be there as well. Many of the concerts are sold out, but a few still remain available! There are also the art shows and movie screenings to check out as well, all related to indie music in some way or another.

Mom & Pop/Courtesy

In other news, Reign of Terror from the aforementioned Sleigh Bells comes out this week. This marks the sophomore release from the heavy-hitting duo. Will they be able to fend off the infamous “Sophomore Slump,” or will they succumb to the stereotype?

Fueled by Ramen/Courtesy

The group known as “fun.” (yes, period included) will also be releasing Some Nights this week. If you haven’t gotten tired of “We are Young” being over-played yet, might be worth checking out, as the band has a sold out show at The Independent in SF on March 28th.

Local Limelight:

Jeff Spirer/Courtesy

This week we take a look at New Diplomat, one of the most promising indie rock/electronica bands to come from SF. The five-man group is known for their energized shows and danceable yet head-bang worthy guitar riffs. Check out the video for their song “Fix This” below:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-vY-A2zlM&w=420&h=315]

If you liked what you heard, the band will be playing this Thursday at The Rickshaw Stop as one of the many Noise Pop acts.