Obama administration sets sights on student voters for re-election campaign

obama
Jason DeFillippo/Creative Commons/Courtesy

As the 2012 United States presidential election nears, the Obama administration is setting its sights on convincing young voters to return to the polls.

Obama for America Senior Strategist David Axelrod said in a conference call Monday that the administration has been working to fund public universities and cut higher education costs, all the while calling on younger voters for support in the president’s re-election campaign.

The conference call — held with representatives from college newspapers around the country — is part of the Obama administration’s efforts to reach out to younger voters. In the coming weeks, members of the administration will hold 10 “summits” at swing-state college campuses.

Young voters were key to President Barack Obama’s victory in 2008. Voters between the ages of 18 and 29 preferred Obama to John McCain by 68 percent to 30 percent, according to exit polls.

Axelrod said the University of California has helped put the state on “the cutting edge” of innovation. He lamented recent tuition increases at public universities, calling them “astronomical.”

“The University of California was a showcase for the world in terms of public education, and … it has been painful to watch the cuts that have been made over the years to that system,” he said. “When we cut our public university systems, we are cutting the lifeblood of the economy.”

The administration plans to work with public universities to increase funding and efficiency, he added.

In January, Obama rolled out his “Blueprint for Keeping College Affordable and Within Reach for All Americans,” a plan that proposes increasing campus-based aid to colleges by $10 billion annually and increasing or decreasing funding based on college affordability and value to students.

“Universities have to look at their budgets and make some decisions about what is needed and what is not,” Axelrod said. “You can be very zealously pro-public higher education and still be sensible about how we spend that money.”

He added that the administration has taken steps to help college students through the Affordable Care Act, signed into law in March 2010. The act could potentially save college students money on insurance by allowing them to remain under their parents’ health care coverage until the age of 26.

Photo: Jason DeFillippo/Creative Commons

Damian Ortellado is the lead higher education reporter.

• libsrclowns

The Obama FAILS just keep coming and the peeps get poorer….

One of the mistaken assumptions about the Obama administration is that it has no energy policy. On the contrary, there is one, best summed up by Steven Chu, the U.S. Secretary of Energy. “Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe,” Chu said in 2008. It now appears that the Obama administration has found a way: restricting the supply of oil and screwing the poor and middle class.

This year, Americans will spend about $5,000 filling up—9% of household budgets—and twice the amount they spend in 2008.  
    The worse may be yet to come. Goldman Sachs predicts the price of a barrel of crude oil will rise to $123.50 by the end of the year, up from $106.07 right now.  Such increases hurt the poor and the middle class most of all. To grasp how devastating the increase in prices has been for America’s middle-class, consider the following which has best been explained by Ron Klain, a former Obama economic adviser:
    … an average couple living in suburbia, driving about 1,500 miles per person each month, in two cars that get average gas mileage, a 50-cents-a-gallon increase will cost them about 20 percent more than the payroll- tax cut saves them. In their case, what the president and Congress gives, the gas man takes away.

Once again, Ofraud has failed his sheeple.  Vote him out in November.

• Calipenguin

Obama can’t convince students to vote for him.  Those who voted for him the first time regret it.  He has done nothing but deepen the recession and continue wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with Guantanamo still operational.  College tuition rises even as family incomes plummet.  Obama’s only chance of winning is to convince students to vote against the GOP candidate.

• libsrclowns

Axelrod: “The administration plans to work with public universities to increase funding and efficiency, he added.”

PLANS to work…. LOL, what Clown, just like Obama. Flim flam all the way.

• Sicko

You make me sick. Just like the separation of church and state. 

• libsrclowns

Take your meds wack job

• LAWLS

So you gonna vote for Santorum? He seems to be even less intelligent than you are…

• libsrclowns

No.

And I’m sure as hell not voting for Obama the Clown

Obama’s economic record….FAIL,
        yet Clowns posting here continually defend him…[email protected] stupidity, ignorance, cluelessness.

Every day, the Obama’s government takes in $6 billion and spends $10 billion.  This means that every day the Ofraudo spends $4 billion more dollars than he takes in.
        The real unemployment rate is a jaw-dropping 18 percent.  After almost 3 years, Oclown is still clueless.
        Every fifth adult you pass on your way to work is now out of work thanks to Ofraudo’s failed policies.
        College graduates are now 34% less likely to find a job under Oclownie than they were under President George W. Bush. 
        Every seventh person you pass on the sidewalk now relies on food stamps.
        The ravages of the Obongo economy now mean that more Americans live under the federal poverty line than at any time in U.S. history since records have been kept.
        Under The Empty Suit in Chief, every fifth child in America now lives in poverty.

During the 3year reign of Oclownie  the price of a gallon of gasoline has jumped 106 percent, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

During the same period, the price of ground beef has gone up 28 percent and price of bacon has gone up 26 percent.

Are you better off now?

•  Liberals are so laughable. They claim to be independent thinkers and oh-so-intellectual, but at the end of the day they just vote for whoever has a D after their name on the ballot.

• libsrclowns

Hence, sheeple.

•  So what makes you think Santorum is the only alternative?

• Guest

Here is one Cal student who won’t be voting for Obama

• LAWLS

LOL this time I thought to myself. Hey’ll I’ll objectively look at both candidates once the election comes around, without just picking the candidate whose party I’ve historically agreed with. Then I realized that Rick Santorum is a complete moron (I mean seriously he makes Dubya look like a genius). I’ll take 4 more years of minimal improvement over a guy that will end up bringing us back to the dark ages.

•  Once again, what makes you think that Santorum is the chosen GOP candidate, or that there won’t be other alternatives (Libertarian, Green, Independent)? If you decide that the natural choice is Obama because you don’t care for whatever individual in the opposition party is leading in polls/media attention at the moment, you are indeed one silly child.