No. 1 Cal continues undefeated streak with four-game tourney win

The Bears strike fast, and they strike early.

In the Cal softball team’s first matchup on Saturday, the Bears bombarded East Carolina with seven runs in the third inning on their way to an 11-3 win. The second game displayed even brighter fireworks, as they scored four in the bottom of the first en route to a 5-1 win over Northwestern.

The games took place at the Anderson Family Field in Fullerton, Calif., as part of the DeMarini Invitational. Saturday’s two victories finished off yet another tournament sweep for No. 1 Cal, whose two other wins came on Friday — 8-1 over Florida International and 8-0 over Southern Miss.

The weekend’s four games continue Cal’s undefeated streak, taking the Bears to 16-0 with four tournament sweeps for the season so far.

Freshman Cheyenne Cordes led Cal with four RBI between the two games and notched her second home run of the year.

Valerie Arioto, who has drawn attention for her consistent and powerful hitting, leads the Bears in nearly every offensive category — RBI, hits, slugging percentage, on base percentage, walks and home runs. This weekend, however, she got to show off another facet of her game. She threw 11 strikeouts against East Carolina and brought her ERA to 0.22.

Jolene Henderson took on Northwestern (5-10) in the next game, allowing only one earned run in the top of the fifth after the Bears held a 5-0 lead after the third inning.

She also helped out on offense, notching a double and two RBI. Cordes also had two, and Jace Williams rounded out the five runs with an RBI, her fifth straight game with an RBI.

Her sixth may come this Wednesday when Cal faces off against UC Davis at home at Levine-Fricke Field.