Day 4 of the “99 Mile March for Education and Social Justice”

DAVIS – The final leg of the “99 Mile March for Education and Social Justice” was a 24-mile walk from Vacaville to UC Davis, a stretch that proved to house some animosity for the marchers.

Marchers had received little antagonism previously — only a handful of drivers had expressed displeasure with the march in its first three days — but at least four residents of farm houses came out specifically to tell the protesters to “Get a job.”

One resident stayed 200 feet off of Porter Road in Dixon using a megaphone to tell the protesters that they should get jobs and that they should pay for college like he did.

The group responded by telling the resident that they had jobs that weren’t enough. Several also yelled, “I love you.”

Travelling across mostly farmland with one-lane roads, the march progressed with little other friction aside from traffic buildups behind the supply vans bringing up the rear of the group.

The march arrived at the UC Davis quad — site of the Occupy UC Davis encampment — at about 8:30 p.m., well ahead of its usual two mile-per-hour pace.

Marchers made fewer stops in the last five-mile stretch in order to meet members of Occupy UC Davis and Occupy Davis, who had prepared dinner and tents for them to stay in.

Grant Weiss, who organized the Occupy Davis effort to provide food and set up the tents, said he knew the march would go through UC Davis and wanted to help welcome the group.

“I believe you have to be the change you want in the world,” Weiss said. “I want to live in a world where people take care of each other.”

With the walking portion of the march complete, the protesters will board buses to Sacramento at 8 a.m. Monday.

Christopher Yee covers Berkeley communities. Jeff Capps filmed the video; he is the Lead Protests producer.