Live Blog: Students rally in Sacramento, occupy Capitol building

A man holds an Occupy Cal sign in front of the capitol building in Sacramento.
Gracie Malley/Staff

Related Media

Following protests of varying sizes nationwide on March 1, over 10,000 students are expected to rally and march at the Capitol today in Sacramento in support of public higher education. Additionally, students plan to engage in over 100 lobbying visits as part of the UC Student Association’s annual Student Lobby Conference in Sacramento. Whether the protesters will attempt to occupy the Capitol building later in the day remains to be seen — follow the live blog and @dailycal on Twitter for updates.

Staff writers Damian Ortellado, Amruta Trivedi and Christopher Yee reporting from the field.

9:37 p.m.

According to CHP, at least 72 protesters were arrested at the Capitol today.

8:18 p.m.

Arrests have concluded at the capitol, though the total number has not yet been released.

8:02 p.m.

SWAT CHP officers are currently arresting protesters.

7:29 p.m.

State Senator Leland Yee just met with Occupy the Capitol protesters and asked CHP to allow them to stay, according to his Twitter account.

7:19 p.m.

Updated numbers indicate there are around 49 protesters in the hallway outside of the rotunda and 18 in the rotunda itself.

7:08 p.m.

There are still approximately 49 protesters in the hallway outside the rotunda and roughly 50 on the steps outside the building. Police officers are also present outside the building on horseback.

6:52 p.m.

Police have issued a second dispersal order and suggested protesters give their possessions to their friends if they do not want them to be processed while they are arrested.

6:37 p.m.

Some of the protesters in the capitol building have begun to link arms.

6:31 p.m.

Police have asked protesters not to link arms or they could be cited for resisting arrest.

6:28 p.m.

Reporters and protesters at the capitol are saying police have issued a dispersal order instructing protesters to leave the capitol grounds or risk being arrested.

6:15 p.m.

About 40 protesters remain in the rotunda. CHP officers are currently blocking all four of its entrances, though no dispersal order has been issued. It is now one hour past the building’s closing time.

5:50 p.m.

California Highway Patrol officers now on the scene have dozens of nylon handcuffs in their back pockets.

5:45 p.m.

The protesters have issued five demands to the state, which include passing the “millionaires tax,” canceling all student debt, democratizing the UC Board of Regents and CSU Board of Trustees, fully funding all education and amending Proposition 13.

5:22 p.m.

Protesters walked around in a circle chanting “No cuts, no fees, education must be free.” A dispersal order has yet to be issued.

4:50 p.m.

California Highway Patrol officers are expected to give a dispersal order at 5 p.m., giving Occupy the Capitol protesters five minutes to disperse after it is given. Protesters are voting on whether they will all leave the building or allow those who are volunteering to stay to potentially face arrest.

4:45 p.m.

Only about 60 Occupy the Capitol protesters remain in the rotunda, and they are currently trying to decide whether to stay or go.

4:03 p.m.

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom sat and chatted for awhile with one of the small groups of protesters, while others chanted for him to leave. They pressed him about state cuts to social services and education, and he responded by saying, “I’m not proud of it.”

Lists of demands will now circulate for the protesters to vote upon.

Protesters occupying the capitol building rotunda.

3:02 p.m.

As of about 3 p.m., the majority of the protesters present for the noon rally have left the area around the capitol building. About 300 Occupy the Capitol protesters are in the rotunda and additional protesters are in various rooms in the capitol speaking to legislators. There are also additional protesters outside the capitol building.

2:44 p.m.

Lists of proposed demands that protesters have come up with in their small groups are being handed to facilitators at Occupy the Capitol so the assembly can vote on which they will formally call for.

2:15 p.m.

Over 300 Occupy the Capitol protesters have voted to establish one to five demands during the “People’s Assembly,” which they are now discussing in small groups.

2:05 p.m.

California Highway Patrol Officer Sean Kennedy said the capitol building will close at 6 p.m. unless a public safety issue arises. He also said arrests will not be made right away.

1:38 p.m.

Roughly 100 Occupy the Capitol protesters are currently inside the Capitol building’s rotunda for a “People’s Assembly” to decide the protesters’ demands and next steps. Approximately 20 are being kept from entering the rotunda on its north side by California Highway Patrol officers citing fire code. Protesters outside the rotunda are using the people’s microphone system made popular by the Occupy movement to stay involved.

1:12 p.m.

Hundreds of protesters are grouped outside of the Capitol waiting to pass through security and enter the building.

Protestors, number in the thousands, gather in front of the capitol building in Sacramento.

11:50 a.m.

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is speaking at the rally now.

“We’re here today because our words are not matching our actions here at the state capitol,” he said.

11:20 a.m. 

Dana Blanchard of Berkeley Federation of Teachers said the federation supports the capitol occupation and donated about $5000 to help bus people to the rally.

10:40 a.m.

Students who left from UC Berkeley this morning have now arrived at the capitol. A rally that will feature Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom and state Assembly Speaker John Perez will begin at 11 a.m.

10:30 a.m.

Some members of the “99 Mile March for Education and Social Justice” are carrying banners that read “Make the 1% pay” and “Millionaire’s tax now.”

10:15 a.m. 

The march toward the Capitol has begun, with a 20-foot “Occupy the Capitol” banner generating mixed responses from March 5 protesters.

10 a.m. 

About 15 members of the “99 Mile March for Education and Social Justice” have reached Southside Park in Sacramento via shuttle from UC Davis. Hundreds have already gathered in preparation for the march to the Capitol set to begin at 10 a.m. and subsequent 11 a.m. rally. Occupy Education California’s website states that protesters plan to hold a people’s assembly inside the Capitol Building at 1 p.m.

9:20 a.m.

An ASUC bus with about 50 students has departed from UC Berkeley behind schedule, going directly to the Capitol building to arrive in time for rallies in Sacramento.

Alisha Azevedo, Sarah Burns and J.D. Morris are news editors.

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1231245715 Chris Ackman

I left at 6:53, evading arrest in a split second decision. The Occupy Edu General Assembly gathered significantly over 300 at 1pm in the rotunda of the Capitol. Among the 5 proposals selected for our demands was forgiving all student debt. Further, people agreed to stay with this Occupation as long as they could or until demands were met. At about 3pm, the public bathrooms in the Capitol were closed, until Gavin Newsom ended this tyranny. Trespassing became a misdemeanor at 5pm. At about 6pm CHP ordered dispersal of the occupation, and the majority of the Occupiers left. The time from 6pm till then was intense and hopefully powerful. We targeted the officers and representatives looking down from the second floor, chanting “Join Us.” My mic checks were “Officers (Officers); Think about your children (Think about your children) and “A message back to the Officers (A message back to the Officers); Officers in Egypt, Tunasia, etc (Officers in Egypt, Tunasia, etc) were Killed for disobeying orders (were Killed for disobeying orders); You face nowhere near the same Punishment, (You face nowhere near the same Punishment); Join the 99% (Join the 99%)” Emotion and reason filled the atmosphere as we chanted “Banks Got Bailed Out, We Got Sold Out,” “no Cuts, no Fees, Educations must be Free, (saywhat/yaya)”, “Aqui Estamos, y No Nos Vamos,” and others. I believe our essence to be well summarized by the sign I pumped throughout, pictured below. Shoutout to a colleague arrested in solidarity – Elliot Goldstein – Wish you and all the best!

• Guest

You are a fucking idiot.

• Stan De San Diego

“5:45 p.m.

5:50 p.m.

California Highway Patrol officers now on the scene have dozens of nylon handcuffs in their back pockets.”

5:55 p.m.

Wondering if anyone’s really surprised.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[The protesters have issued five demands to the state, which include passing the “millionaires tax,” canceling all student debt, democratizing the UC Board of Regents and CSU Board of Trustees, fully funding all education and amending Proposition 13.]

Congratulations, idiots – you just blew any chance of being taken seriously.

And you seriously wonder why most of the students want nothing to do with your silly “movement”?

• Guest

Another “list of demands”?   What are they, hostage takers?!   Enough already!  Show them the instruments!!!

2:40 p.m.

Prepare for product development group meeting at work, and write up recommendation that we expand research and manufacturing capabilities out of state. Clean up and update previous internal study, pointing out advantages of moving operations to Las Vegas, NV area: lower cost of living, no personal state income taxes, lower corporate taxes, less regulatory environment. Reminder to start looking at prices for a 2BR or 3BR house on the west (nicer) side of town, maybe near the growing Asian community near Spring Mountain Road (plenty of good places to eat, decent productive law-abiding neighbors, people who value education and teach their kids manners).

• Current student

1:25

I’m eating my lunch and thinking about innovative ways to lower my effective tax rate.

• libsrclowns

1:54

Buy things online only if they charge no sales tax.

I already have a plan for that…

• libsrclowns

12:58

Now LOL@ Clueless Gavin Newsome, man with no real job…..LOL

• libsrclowns

11:45

Now ROFLMAO

• libsrclowns

10:41

Still LMAO

• libsrclowns

10:40

I’m LMAO at these clowns

• Current student

occupy a job, losers

• Robby

I wonder what you are doing to try and solve the problems this state is in?  No you are right, it’s much easier to bash others who are going on the record, making demands, (eg about the Mil. Tax) and generally trying to do something positive.  Maybe if we all posted more sarcastic comments it would make society truly a better place.  Also, I bet you wouldn’t say shit to anyone in person.  Why is it that people act like such assholes on message boards?  As a Berkeley resident, I feel like Cal is not the same open minded intellectual place it used to be.  Maybe it is just a clearing house for people who want the rubber stamp of society’s approval and to go on and make $ without thinking too much about the bigger picture?

These losers are getting way too much attention…

• Guest

Hiya, Tony.  Well, generally I’m not thrilled with their whole philosophy, but if they can do this in a respectful, organized way I say hell, it’s America.  That being said, I’m guessing the black bloc WILL fuck shit up. 

• Mooman22

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather a few irate , tireless minority keen to set brush fires in peoples minds” – Samuel Adams

Call us losers, call us deviants, call us whatever you wish, it does not change the truth. YOUR world, OUR world, THE world is fucked up and in desperate need of review and reform.  Everyday that truth is shared with another and the word is spread. our cause is complex. We cannot offer you our mission in a soundbite, so stop asking.  Instead, start listening. You might just hear something that makes since to you.

If you do not understand and never wish to, don’t worry, there are plenty of people like yourself out there, you can all meet, make new social circles, and in 15 years we’ll all meet in Iowa for the largest land battle and newest civil war.  :)