Tedford discusses spring practice

Running back Isi Sofele will have a light spring after a grueling season.
Emma Lantos/File

On Monday, Cal football coach Jeff Tedford held a teleconference interview regarding spring practice, which is scheduled to start on March 13. Some tidbits from the conference:

• Zach Maynard and Allen Bridgford are slated as the starting and backup quarterbacks, respectively. No surprise there. Freshman Zach Kline is going to compete for the third quarterback spot in the depth chart, vacated by senior Brock Mansion.
  • Even less surprising: running back Isi Sofele and wide receiver Keenan Allen are expected to receive limited action through spring practice. Sofele rushed for 1,322 yards and 10 touchdowns, and Allen caught 98 passes for 1,343 yards. There is little to nothing for the two to prove to their coaches this spring.
  • When asked if this is likely Allen’s last spring at Cal before he takes off to the NFL, Tedford said he didn’t know. Tedford said he’ll likely talk to Allen this summer about the player’s future plans.
  • Center Dominic Galas is out for spring practice. Incoming freshman Matt Cochran will get some reps at center this spring.
  • With punter Bryan Anger gone, kickers Vince D’Amato and incoming freshman Ben Calder will get some punting reps. A dark horse: tight end Richard Rodgers, who has some punting experience from high school, will get some reps as well.
  • Vince D’Amato is slated to be the starting kicker for the Bears next season. Tedford said D’Amato was “on Giorgio Tavecchio’s heels” for the entirety of last season.
  • When Cal takes the field at the renovated Memorial Stadium for the first time on Sep. 1, the stadium will be “game-ready” but not fully renovated. Tedford did not know which aspect of Memorial still required construction.
  • Cal’s spring game is scheduled for April 21, likely at Witter Field. Tedford has not decided whether it will be an actual game or a game-situation scrimmage (the latter would be the result of a shortage of available players at certain positions).