Louis Farrakhan’s upcoming appearance at UC Berkeley sparks outcry from Jewish community

Louis Farrakhan
Louis Farrakhan

A conference organized by the UC Berkeley Black Student Union this weekend will include a speech by religious leader Louis Farrakhan — an appearance that has sparked outcry from members of the campus Jewish community because of Farrakhan’s allegedly anti-Semitic comments.

The Afrikan Black Coalition Conference, which will be held at UC Berkeley Friday through Sunday, includes workshops, keynote speakers and social activities that students from across the university will participate in.

But it is the appearance of Farrakhan, leader of the Nation of Islam, that has some members of the campus community concerned. Students from the Jewish community in particular oppose his visit due to anti-Semitic, homophobic and other controversial statements they say Farrakhan has made.

“Farrakhan consistently espouses antisemitic conspiracy theories while negating the Jewish people’s right to their religion and their land,” said Jacob Lewis, co-president of the campus Jewish student group Tikvah, in a blog post. “Farrakhan’s hatred cannot be tolerated. It is unfathomable that the BSU has no issue in inviting such an abjectly offensive speaker to campus.”

The Anti-Defamation League, a prominent civil rights group that works to combat anti-Semitism, has also criticized various comments made by Farrakhan in the past.

Salih Muhammad, chair of the campus Black Student Union, said the speakers for the conference were chosen based on who the union felt would provide “a sense of self-determination” to conference attendees.

“It’s not about any individual speaker,” Muhammad said. He added that the conference is limited to students who register beforehand and that Farrakhan will therefore not be addressing the entire campus community but only a particular group of students.

“Those students are well in their right to subject themselves to anything he says,” Muhammad said.

The issue was discussed at last week’s ASUC Senate meeting when SQUELCH! Senator Noah Ickowitz pulled a bill supporting funding the conference. Ickowitz read several quotes from Farrakhan and said they were “hate speech in its most raw form.”

However, members of the Black Student Union and some of the senators pointed out that the bill itself did not mention Farrakhan’s name.

“This bill is strictly a funding bill,” said CalSERVE Senator Kevin Williams at the meeting.

Despite concerns, the senate passed the bill unanimously to provide $1,340 in funding for the conference.

According to Jewish Student Union President Arielle Gabai, the union hopes to meet with members of the Black Student Union and Dean of Students Jonathan Poullard to have a dialogue this week about the issue.

“Louis Farrakhan is someone who will make people on this campus feel isolated, hated, demeaned and silenced,” Ickowitz said, though he chose to vote for the bill because he did not want to deprive the entire conference of funding.

Courtney Moulds covers student government.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the Afrikan Black Coalition Conference would be funded $1,500 by the ASUC Senate. In fact, the conference was funded $1,340 by the senate.

• Pablo Pumares

But the really funny thing is that Farrakhan is not blind to pervasive (anti-black) racism in Arab countries, even in Mecca. He told Spike Lee so in an interview for Spike’s book “The trials and tribulations of the making of Malcolm X”. Yet this Farrakhan clown regularly gets up on his platform to say the USA will be punished by God for being so wicked. But it seems Farrakhan would much rather live in the wicked USA where he gets the platform, the adulation, the press, and the spotlight, than in noble Islamic Arab countries, where they see him and Elijah Muhammad as impostors, selling a false religion. Hypocrites and clowns. Once Malcolm X started to see through them, they killed him. (And blamed the CIA).

• Pablo Pumares

Min. Farrakhan is a hater. The NOI’s founding myth is that a so-called Mr Yacub, a mad scientist, created white people to destroy an otherwise perfect black civilization. If that is not racist, tell me what is. Min. Farrakhan and his fellow members of the cult are clowns.

• Agr611

The realization is people of clour are the children of israel,,judah is but one tribe.

• LeCalabro

What troubles me is that Minister Farrakhan expresses anti-semetic, anti-gay and anti white views, but his anti-white views are ignored.

And, I do not know of any criminal attacks on Jews or gays by blacks, but I sure do know about the San Francisco Zebra killings 1973/74 of white Americans by members of NOI.

NOI followers murdered 16 white San Franciscans and maybe as many as 71 whites in California and several hundred throughout America–but that is all forgotten.  

Our school children know about the Jewish and Black holocausts, but they do not know about the hundreds of thousands of attacks on white Americans by their fellow black Americans. 

Minister Farrakhan should tell it all—for the truth will set us all free. 

• eleni

I do not think a public University supported by my State taxes should be hosting someone who denigrates A PEOPLE  and promotes hatred. Would the campus have allowed a white or Jewish person to speak there and espouse hatred of African Americans those who are truly against discrimination hatred prejudice should be against it for all we are all human beings and all here Americans  Minister?? Farrakhan is truly a man of hatred a Minister of hatred both to white people and to the Jews who have never harmed him Indeed most Jews came to America long after slavery in fact the early 20th century escaping hatred and discrimination themselves Lest you forget we were almost annihilated by HITLER  who I believe Farrakhan has praised. If Hitler were here today he would be after the likes of Farrakhan himself. Yes surround yourself with those Muslims who look brainwashed protecting you  why do you need all of that protection, MINISTER OF HATE??

• benniebrown

To all, In America there is such a thing as “Free Speech”.  We should all be openminded enough to hear and respect,  Whether we agree or not.  Name calling  and blaming should never be a part of the equation.  Let’s embrace our likeness as well as our differences>

• martial

Freedom of speech & freedom of religion depend on one another;  the right to say whatever pleases you religiously without government sanction is the right to free expression.  Pastor Jones had much of a right to burn the Qu’ran as he did to burn the Talmud; neither act is forbidden in the United States, thanks to our marvelous constitution.  Similarly, one may without fear have as much sport with the Honorable Minister Farakhan’s religion as one wishes. Thus far The TRUTH has not produced the slightest evidence of the Honorable Minister Elijah Mohammed’s divinity.  That religion is has no more validity than the notion of the cannibals, that every death is unnatural & must be avenged by death of the enemy.

• FreedomThink19

The best response I’ve seen to this madness against Farrakhan, is in this article: 
    http://jessemuhammad.blogs.finalcall.com/2012/03/farrakhan-controversy-why-is-uc.html

• Loumuhammadpsi9

Correction: The books are “The Secret Relationships between Blacks and Jews”.

• Loumuhammad

I’m just going to blant. BLACK students want to hear from a BLACK Leader from the BLACK Community of America so to hell with what others think or care about. They hear who they want, we hear who we want. If the ADL want to challenge this association then why don’t they prove what they say about Minister Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam by having an open discussion/debate/dialogue on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, C-SPAN (so the world can see) on the books, “Secret Relations Between Blacks and Jews” books 1 and 2. Book 2 focuses on “How Jews Gained Control of the Black America Economy”.  Now don’t speak in ignorance, read the book before you comment if you have the courage to do so.

Your ignorant remarks stating that Minister Farrakhan was “negating the Jewish people’s right to their religion and their land” when Jewish people along with the European Slave-Traders bought and sold and financed the sell of Black people. Today, Jewish/White lawyers/managers/agents do the same with Black talent. What power does Minister Farrakhan display that prevents you from practicing your religion? You mean to tell me you can’t go to the synagogue and pray? You mean, you can’t celebrate your holidays because of the Minister, but my children can’t go to school because the school is closed on your holidays. Perhaps Minister Farrakhan has stopped the US Government from giving billions of OUR money we pay in taxes to support Israel. Really? And you call him anti-semitic. Well you sound ANTI-BLACK. That’s why you want to tell us who we can listen too. Mine your on business.  Stay away from OUR event if you can’t handle the truth.

Shalom Alaikum

P.S. If they want a leader from the Bloods and/or Crips that’s cool too.

• I_h8_disqus

If providing a sense of self-determination is all that is required, then the heads of the Crips and Bloods should be giving speeches too.  They give young black men as much self-determination as the Nation of Islam.

• LacyMe

I wish I could attend this. Farrakhan teaches love of self, he believes black people are the original Jews and under that pretext nothing he says is hatred, it is him expressing his true opinion and it should not be suppressed especially on a campus of higher education.

• I_h8_disqus

A campus of higher education should be capable of weeding out opinion that doesn’t address truth.  Your reasoning would mean that we should let the Flat Earth Society speak about geography, and William Shockley speak about genetics of race.

• cal WHAT????

CHECK IT OUT… the president of the BSU is running for exec. she stands by the decision to bring an antisemitic, sexist, racist, homophobe. 

• Akilx2003

The Hon. Min. Louis Farrakhan said, Those who bark the loudest when truth is spoken are surely the guilty ones. (The so-called Jews). I must say not all so-called Jews hate Min. Farrakhan, some even come to Saviours’ Day and show support. The ADL and The JDL are hate groups, let’s not forget the illegal wiretapping of Black Civil Rights Groups, They are the Masters of deceit. example- Recently, a Jewish publisher Andrew Adler, suggested giving the “go-ahead for U.S. based Mossad agents to take out” President Obama. Now, who said it’s a federal crime to threaten the President? Mr. Andrew Adler is the one who should be charged. Here we go again, who do they think they are to tell us who we should listen to, those days are over. I want to thank the students for standing up and not bowing down to these imposter’s, we the Black Man and Women are the true Chosen People. Why we debate the right of free speech, Israel is trying to bring on WW III. I believe the students are smart enough to tell truth from falsehood.

• Mrtea

The guy’s got a sorry record and it speaks volumes that you Afrikaners can’t find anything better to do.

He was waiting in the wings to take over while his associates killed Malcolm X. Malcolm walked away from the corrupt “Reverend” Elijah Muhammad over his repeated sexual abuse of underage girls. Louis X had no problem with it.

There is a pattern of violence associated with the “Nation” all over this country, lately evidence by his local associates “Bey clan” who assassinated Chauncey Bailey for exposing their criminality. Curiously Farrakhan himself is never confronted on such matters, not even his associated (public appearances) with the notoriously violent “Yahweh Bin Yahweh” cult. Never heard of it? Strange how the national media suppress such information, maybe they’re just scared.

Farrakhan recently proclaimed that the editor of a Jewish newspaper in Atlanta had called for the Mossad to “take out” Obama.  If the “Reverend” favors the DC with a moment somebody should ask him about it. It’s a federal crime to threaten the President and it’s slander to say someone did it if they didn’t.

• reztips

Right from the horse’s (Fart-His-Can’s) ass–in his own words:
    “The Jews don’t like Farrakhan so they call me Hitler. Well, that’s a good name. Hitler was a very great man.”

On Jews:
    “Do you know Jewish people were not the origin of Hollywood, but they took it over?”
    Saviours’ Day, Chicago, Illinois, 2/26/12

“In 100 years, they control movies, television, recording, publishing, commerce, radio, they own it all. Magazines. Why do you want all, everything?”

“Did you know that the Koran says that Jews are the most violent of people. I didn’t write it, but I’m living to see it.”

On Gays:

“And the Christian right, with your blindness to that wicked state of Israel…can that be the holy land, and you have gay parades, and want to permit to have a gay parade in Jerusalem when no prophet ever sanctioned that behavior. HOW CAN THAT BE THE ISRAEL, how can that be Jerusalem with secular people running the holy land when it should be the holy people running the holy land. That land is gonna be cleansed with BLOOD!” 
    Saviours’ Day, Chicago, Illinois, 2/26/06

“I call them the so-called Jews because to be a Jew you have to adhere to the statutes and laws that create the special relationship. How can you be a Jew and promote homosexual marriage?” 
    National Black Agenda Convention, Boston, 3/18/04

“But all of a sudden in the night clubs, they started having transvestite shows, drag queens… Scripture say no liar, no adulterer, no effeminate will get in the Kingdom.” 
    Saviours’ Day Speech, Chicago, 2/23/03

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_5WZZMV4QC3BAT7KNL4AJVQ5FJI BarkleyButt

It’s a University, an institution that allows speakers with controversial views to speak on a regular basis.  Let’s just leave Farrakhan out of the conversation for a minute.  If I speak for the freedom, statehood, civil and human rights of the Palestinians, for a land historically called Palestine, then I would be controversial and protested against.  If we are to drum up remarks of guest speakers, than all those speakers on behalf of the entity called Israel, are guilty of some very hateful, horrific remarks against the Palestinian people.  These are just Zionist wanna be’s  making noise.

• AhabdaArab

No wonder your name is “Butt.” Just another supporter of the pro-genocidal Foul-Asstinian “cause.” Most knowledgeable students loath Islamofascists such as the Palestinian leaders.

• Youdontspeakforme

I find my self as an African American confounded by the discussion here.  I can actually see elements of all sides of the debate here.  Now my thoughts are as followed:

Louis Farrakhan does not represent the interests of the majority of African Americans.  In fact the man is of little to no discussion among emerging generations of African American men or women.  So why he was selected to come in the first place befuddles me.  But then again there are a lot things things that  confound me.  Cory Booker would have been a better selection. Even Geoffrey Canada, Soledad  O’Brien, Melissa Harris Perry, General Powell, Soledad O’Brien, Michael Eric Dyson or two people that I do not care for but are actually relevant in the scheme of things Cornell West or Dr. Boyce Watkins.  But Farrakhan?  Him?  Why?  And for whom? 

These are some the questions that confound me. Yet even more when in the piece when it is stated that: “Those students are well in their right to subject themselves to anything he says…” I know we have a problem right there.  What do people have to be subjected to? And why would you invite someone you know full and well has a tendency to go off the cuff like your drunk uncle Willie at holiday gatherings.

People generally are not checking for him.  He is not the topic of discussion at the breakfast table in the morning or on Sundays after church.

To be fair, every now and again he says something that may raise a positive ear of many in the African American community until he goes into the talk about who he sees as the devil and all that.  Then most tune him out. 

But let’s get to the heart of the matter.  Faarakhan has been little to no help to those parts of the African American community who are struggling.  No initiatives? Nothing to help with education.  Just a bunch of empty rhetoric that appeals to a very small number of African American people.  So small it’s not even worth the time. 

But I guess one decides that he was worthy of being brought in for some reason.

Good thing I didn’t register.  Best of luck! 

• http://profile.yahoo.com/TQLJUVM5LODINJEJ2LJTEWKPWI Rodney

No people of any Prophet, Messenger or Warner ever felt that those given to them from GOD represented their own (the majorities) sentiments and/or interests. In fact all of them were denied and charged with being fabricators, extremist and liars by the same people from whom they were raised as delivers. In every case their own people were their most ardent opposers. This includes even the Jesus that most say they believe in. Evil is how they judge.

Much could be said in light of the past histories of Bible and Koran in regards to how mental/spiritual conditioning plays a part in why people make judgements that contradict such pivotal figures and the way in which they operate. They are always raised in a society condemned because of their unwillingness to give freedom, justice and equality to those oppressed on the principles anf truth and righteousness. Not only are the oppressors affected by the inability to make sound judgements—but also the oppressed. So much so that they, the oppressed, judge on the side of the oppressor, against their own salvation. In psychology, it is called Stockholm Syndrome, but theologically and eschatologically its called being blind, deaf and dumb, and also lame or dead (so-called necro-nekro-negro).

“Farrakhan has been little to no help to those parts of the African American community who are struggling.  No initiatives? Nothing to help with education.” It is obvious that you know very little if any thing about the help that has resulted from the life and work of MINISTER Farrakhan, and his teacher before him, and what they represent from the Lord of Worlds. Not only for the benefit of Black people, but for the entire world of Man and Mankind. Read the “Muslim Program” below, it may provide some info as to the above mention oversight on your part concerning “No initiative? Nothing to help education.” This is the sole purpose of His work today, the re-education and re-training of Black people toward doing something collectively for themselves, as others do. You and others just fell to see the part others play in seeing to it that this collective effort continues to go unrealized. What a pity.

http://www.noi.org/muslim_program.htm

• Youdontspeakforme

I expected as much.  I was waiting for the prepared statement that does not address what  I am talking about.  I come from a family where some of them were former members of the Nation of Islam.  So I understand more than you would image.  They are now free from what they came to know for themselves as something they no longer wished to be involved in.  Dissent as they say is not a welcome at the door.  They learned that from the inside and got out. 

Now it is true that experiences in any religious sect can vary.  There are people with whom find the experiences, that of a spiritual and emotional awaking and those that find that their lives will not be enriched by a particular religious, social or moral ideology.  Some even come to find a specific religious ideology to be a disastrous and punishing experience.  There is is enough social science research to prove this. 

The concept of planning on saving a community specifically the parts of the African American community that need it the most need not come from an adherence to any specific religious ideology if one cares not to at all. And from the little we get from the Nation that change is not going to come without a catch.  Now I can lay more by writing a book on knowledge.  But I’m just skimming the surface here. 

Trust be brotha, I know more about the Nation then you could image.  So i’m not flying off the cuff. 

But let’s get back to the bigger point that I originally made as a part of my thread.  You know and I know Farrakhan is of little interest to most African Americans.  And I for understand why that is so.  So again inviting him to UC Berkeley is not in the best interest of African Americans as a whole as it would have been to invite someone Like a Geoffry Canada or a Steve Perry who have tangible  results within the African American community that can easily be replicated in urban area’s the country around. 

So I will leave you with this.  Chauncey Wendell Bailey!  Enough said!

• SpeakTruthToPower

If Min. Farrakhan is “of little interest” than why all of the big fuss for a so-called nobody? Why are there debates, discussions, blogs, etc. for a “nobody” to visit UC? Also, please answer my previous question: “What are YOU doing to help our communities?! No one man can do this great task alone…it takes you, me, and everyone else to create change!”

• Youdontspeakforme

You asked the right question and here is your answer:  I am doing what my parents have been doing all their lives.  Working to help make sure that more African Americans can attend college.  Doing what it takes to make sure that they are prepared every step of the way.  My father works to extrapolate young African American men from Richmond and Oakland to help guide them along the way to college and more specifically to get them thinking about business and accounting degrees.  All this while he holds down a 9 to 5 corporate job.   

My mother is an educator with a PHD in African American Studies, a Masters in Education and a Masters in Political Science.  She works tirelessly running an after-school program to help prepare young men and women to excel at school and connect them to the necessary services that will ensure that their basic needs are met so that they better able to apply themselves to learning. 

So I was raised to do service.  To participate in the success of my the African American community, as well as represent myself and conduct myself in a way that is becoming of the strong stock I come from, we come from. 

So when I am not here furthering my education.  I’m working to help others like my parents do to achieve these goals. 

I’m rapping to every brotha on the street I come across about the necessity of an education.  I’m talking before classrooms and hooking people up with the information they need for scholarships and programs that will help further prepare them for where I am today. 

But neither I nor my parents need a pat on the back or seek any approval from the identity police who think they have cornered the market on blackness.  Any you see my parents came from poor black families.  Who could barely keep the clothes on their backs and shoes on their feet. 

But they did it (changed their lives), while being looked down upon, spit on and treated quite negatively in ways you and will never experience. 

But they came through that with a shred of dignity and even treated people who did not respect them with the respect they wanted.   They didn’t bow down to anger or seek revenge.  They stood in coalition with people from all backgrounds who stood with them to fight against racism and oppression.  

They raised 5 kids and put them through college.  Kept us all out of trouble.  Kept us on the right path and in turn have provided that guidance to others.  And so have we. 

And the main thing my father taught us was.  THE BEST WAY TO BEAT YOUR ENEMY IS TO SUCCEED.

Now what are you doing?  How are you enriching the lives of African Americans in need?  How are you making the opportunities open?  How are you transforming anger into success?

And I will leave you with this:

Only a fool tests the depth of water with both feet. (Meaning: It is not wise to jump into a situation before thinking about it.)  Someone on your end didn’t think!

• Noimidwife

Chauncey Wendell Bailey (no disrespect to this wonderful Brother, and may God be pleased with him) = Yusef Bey – NOT MINISTER FARRAKHAN.

• reztips

During Yusef Bey’s lifetime, Fart-His-Can regularly extolled the virtues of that murdering, incestuous Black Muslim pig…

• SpeakTruthToPower

Dear “Youdontspeakforme”,

You mentioned that “Faarakhan has been little to no help to those parts of the African American community who are struggling.  No initiatives? Nothing to help with education.  Just a bunch of empty rhetoric that appeals to a very small number of African American people.  So small it’s not even worth the time.”

I invite you to go back and study more of the history that will never be taught in today’s educational system. Min. Farrakhan has infact done more for Black, Brown, Red, Yellow, and White communities than any other activist or organizational member. I will highlight a few examples below:

Million Man March, October 1995: This unprecedented event involved the unity of nearly 2 million men, women, and children (despite media false reports) who inspired lower crime, higher adoption rates, more businesses, and a general sense of self-awareness among those in attendance. NO LEADER, PRESIDENT, RULER, OR ACTIVIST HAS EVER ACCOMPLISHED THIS! And, to make it better, he did not take the credit. His humility allowed him to give all praises back to God and those who helped to accomplish the impossible!

Education: Min. Farrakhan has helped hundreds of independent schools to thrive. He aided in the creation of the Annual Educational Conference, in which hundreds of educators from around the country attend a 3 day event focused on educational reform. Even the Black Star Project’s National Conference on Educating Black Males acknowledged the work of the Nation of Islam in education. Did you know that Elijah Muhammad was arrested for creating one of the first independent educational systems. Charter schools and private schools may not have existed if the Nation of Islam did not fight for educational rights! Also, Min. Farrakhan has done several lectures and even written a book entitled, “The Torchlight for America’, which deals greatly with education.

Continuation of the 3 Year Economic Plan: This financial plan entails a multi-billion dollar strategy that will only take 3 years to complete, if we all participate. This money will be put into a public account, with open records. An entire future complete with land, schools, businesses, etc. will be purchased, causing a new Financial Renaissance among Black people and all of America!

However, I believe the real question is what are YOU doing to help our communities?! No one man can do this great task alone…it takes you, me, and everyone else to create change!

Please don’t be fooled by going along to get along…

You can read more about the Three Year Economic Program here: http://www.noi.org/economic_program.shtml

• Brown Women

First of all, your information comes from your own website, which of course is going to make this man look like a hero. I had never heard of this man until the topic came in class yesterday. I look up some of his speech on youtube and he is no different then white supremacist. He has a speech tittle “Message 2 Black Men: ‘The White Women is the last trick of the Devil’” post by AllahDaughterofZion. All of his speeches really upset me. I am a brown women. I don’t understand how he is empowering Blacks by oppressing white women. Women of all color have and continue to be oppressed not only by white men but man of all colors. I am very upset that the ASUC give your organization fund to bring this man to our campus. I have read your justification but looking at his speeches he is clearly a sexist, racist, anti-semitic, and homophobic! 

• SpeakTruthToPower

How has he  “oppressed” Caucasian women?

• Humhum

Why wasn’t he arrested for the death of Malcolm X?

• Olusola Muhammad

Isn’t it interesting that an Earthquake has struck in Berkerley! Could it have anything to do with the outcry against Minister Louis Farrakhan’s planned speech and serve as a warning to his detractors and opponents? Be warned…. 
    http://www.dailycal.org/2012/03/05/berkeley-feels-two-quakes-in-one-minute/

• Stan De San Diego

No, but thanks for reminding us that Farrakhan’s followers exhibit all the classic symptoms of those brainwashed into personality cults.

• Ohlawrd

They are just admitting anybody these days…

• Cal Student

Last semester when the College Republican had their bake sale, they were criticized for having an offensive bake sale. In fact Chancellor  “claimed that the Principles of Community “require … a positive intent not to hurt, offend, or denigrate others while expressing a reasoned position,”” (dailycal). And that the CR were violating the Principles of Community. They were also at risk of losing their funding. How is this any difference? While the conference is close space, it is using students funds to bring a speaker that preaches hate. You can go to youtube and look at some of his speeches, this man preaches hate against whites. Why are BSU not at risk of losing their funding???? Why is the ASUC not questioning this event like the bake sale? In my opinion this is more offensive than the bake sale because the bake sale was a political statement and this man is clearly racist against certain groups of this community. 

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

[@Tony M, Labor slavery may have been illegal for 150 years but the damage has already been done. Today we have monetary slavery because the people that rose in wealth during the unfair treatment of blacks are now in power.]

Your ignorance is noted for all to see. I have ancestors of Jewish background who were in the banking industry (although I’m certainly not wealthy myself). My great(x14)-grandfather moved to London from Germany to escape persecution there in the 15th Century (something Jews faced on a regular basis). His family was involved in goldsmithing and banking because like many other Jews, they were forbidden from participating in other professions. Just as Muslims looked down on money-lending, so did various groups in Europe from time to time – and guess what? European countries found out that when they drove out the Jews, they drove out some of the best legal and financial minds available. As far as your wacky belief that the Jews made their money in America on the backs of slavery, that’s plain horseshit. Fact of the matter is that the industrialized, non-slaveholding northern states far outstripped the economic growth in the south – and that’s where most of the Jews invested their money, simply because there was a higher rate of return. Not that you would actually know anything about history. Despite your bluster and pretentiousness, it’s quite clear that you are rather uneducated and not very bright. You latch on to Farrakhan and his “teachings” because it provides a quick and simple excuse to heal your narcissistic injuries and personal feelings of inadequacy. Like most slavish devotees of a personality cult, you would rather blame some evil cabal of conspirators for screwing up your life rather than accept responsibility for your own actions…

• ABC

Everyone, even secular individuals, should be offended by this asshat.

True, but this is an example of how free speech can be painful sometime. Let him speak, and let the Berkeley students in the audience realize what a manipulative nut-job this man really is. When he starts foaming about the Jews, 500 million people killed in the slave trade, and the like, anyone with half a mind will realize he and his followers are orbiting somewhere between Neptune and Pluto…

• TROY

JUST DO WHAT  SJP  DOES.  SCREAM, SHOUT DISRUPT AND  CLAIM ITS FREE SPEECH.  THAT ‘LL SHOW HIM

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1015899134 Abu-Rasool Aljada Boomsha-Bey

Those accuser never step up to challenge the facts of what Brother Minister is saying we going to stand behind him rather yall who throw false allegations of anti-simitism his way like it or not!

• Stan De San Diego

Can you please translate that into English?

You know something, Abu Rabu Ramalama-dingdong? Your life would be far better if you concentrated on how to read, write, and speak proper English as opposed to wasting your time absorbing the rantings of a crazed bigot and accepting them as some type of Supreme Truth.

• stepinitfetshit

I’m going to ask for Louey’s autograph on some toilet paper I’ve used torn from the Koran.

• SpeakTruthToPower

Tearing paper from the Holy Qur’an and using it clean yourself does no harm to Min. Farrakhan, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) or Allah (God) himself…let’s get back to the topic please.

• queerandproud

this is disgusting. SHAME on the Black Student Union

• Boojwazee

who is this Ichowitz to determine what is good and what is bad for everyone else to hear  ???

• Nia

Truth is the truth!! You are so right, brother!! I’ve heard this man speak; read some of his works and there’s nothing Farrakahan has said that isn’t true when it comes to the history of the so-called Jews.  They need to repent!!

Kook alert.

• reztips

The African American community has suffered so long from bigotry. And I’m certain that there are some decent members of the Black Student Union who are embarrassed that their brethren have invited such an anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist hater to speak at their conference. 

I know the consequences of speaking out would be grave for such people of integrity, but it truly behooves you to do so or the Black Student Union will resemble the odious hate groups which they and so many Jews have rightfully discredited.

As for The Honorable Lewis Fart-His-Can, there is NOTHING “honorable” about this sack of shit. He has brought much disgrace to so many blacks who have converted to his religion of hate. And accordingly, people like Fart-His-Can have set back significantly the fight for true equality…

• Asaad

Ahh the beauty of immaturity to result to such low methods of communication.  It definitely shows your low level of civilization.  However at least the digital medium allows us all to see how filthy you are in all your affairs.  And that disgrace that you speak of allows me to travel the world and speak to people of all ethnic and religous backgrounds and they applaud the civilized manner in which those of us who are students of Elijah Muhammad handle everyone with justice.

[Ahh the beauty of immaturity to result to such low methods of
        communication.  It definitely shows your low level of civilization.]

Yet members of our “low level of civilization” can do basic math. When I hear members of your group uttering ludicrous statements such as “over 400 years of slavery” and “500 million victims of the slave trade”, it’s clear that data-based decision making isn’t one of your strong points.

• libsrclowns

Let’s talk about low levels of civilization. Iran, Syria, Afghanistan …..keeping women in black bags…..

• Olusola Muhammad

@ libsrclowns…. this article will help you. http://bit.ly/xvg5lL

• libsrclowns

Read the article. LOL, here is the thinking:

What is the real motive for this attack on women who decide to cover their faces? Is it really about the prevention of ‘face-to-face’ discussion or the integration of Muslim women into British Society or is the real motive a desire for ‘Muslim women’ who adhere to the strict moral precepts of Allah and the nature in which they were created, to be disrespected and seen as other women of the world, whom men in this society feel they can ‘cat-call’ and talk to in any disrespecting manner that they feel.

Let us never forget that in warfare one of the objectives of the enemy of Islam is to spoil and ruin the woman, so that she becomes fashioned in his (War-Mongering) image.

Ok, now we see again the “logic” by which you subjugate your women in the name of Allah. This is of course a crock of shit to keep women as property. It’s truly amazing how many women buy into this ruse.

• reztips

By civilized, do you mean that most of your fellow Muslims wipe their ass with their left hand just as their prophet Mohammad advised?  And then they poison their minds by sucking on those fingers?

• SpeakTruthToPower

To respond, your name-calling is both childish and a reflection of your character. However, I will respond with this: You referred to Min. Farrakhan as “an anti-Semitic, homophobic, sexist hater”.  Did you know that he is neither? I will address each of these claims below.

Anti-Semitic:
      Did you know that the ADL knows that Min. Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam are not anti-Semitic? According to the book, The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews, Volume Two”, I quote:In response to the 1959 Time Magazine article, the head of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, Arnold Forster, admitted in a secret memo that “Time magazine notwithstanding, we have no documentable evidence of anti-Semitism on the part of the Temples of Islam movement or Elijah Muhammad.” He affirmed that they are “not anti-Jewish per se.” Yet Jewish organizations publicly continued to label the NOI as “anti-Semitic.” For further reference, please define the meaning of “anti-Semitic”.

Homophobic:
      He is actually quoted as saying  that he loves his lesbian and gay brothers and sisters, but he does not like anything that God does not like. He also stated that one unacceptable behavior is not better then the other…meaning you can not say that cheating is wrong, but stealing is right. (The latter was my own example for clarification purposes.)Sexist:I don’t think you know the meaning of what “sexism” is. Min. Farrakhan has done countless of lectures regarding the sacredness of the female. He has taught men how to value their mothers, wives, and daughters. He has spoken out against domestic violence and crimes against women. He has been married for many decades to a woman that will attest to his utmost repect of her.Hater:Please refer to some of my other comments.To conclude, I know it is easy to rally an audience based on senseless name-calling, but the truth is always better!

• reztips

The very title, “The Secret Relationship between Blacks and Jews, Vol 2″ is hilariously akin to something out of The National Inquirer. With sources like that, you have as much credibility as Fard (or is it “Fraud?”) the Black Muslim’s cartoon of a founder.

Oh, and btw, your fine upstanding prophet Mohammad was a violent, warring butcher. He supported such pleasantries as  female circumcision and the murder of all those he deemed “unbelievers.” 
        Finally, since you claim to know so much history, why do you not acknowledge the fact that the majority of Africans sent to the New World were initially captured and sold into slavery by fellow Africans? Or that Arab MUSLIMS earlier laid waste to innumerable black communities, murdering, torturing and enslaving millions for enormous booty…

[The very title, "The Secret Relationship between Blacks and Jews, Vol 2"
          is hilariously akin to something out of The National Inquirer.]

Brought to you by the same people who wrote “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion”, I imagine. And you thought the BAMN people were out there in orbit…

• Stan De San Diego

[To respond, your name-calling is both childish and a reflection of your character.]

And how does it reflect on the character of so-called “muslims” (of any color) who call Jews “pigs” and “dogs”, and white people “devils”?

• Carlos

In one of his speech he states that homosexuality is a sin like cheating and adultery and it is not morally right. How is this not homophobic?? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrRBc-fWBgQ&feature=related

• SpeakTruthToPower

They are all sins. This was not written by Min. Farrakhan, these are commandments given by GOD… He just happens to agree!

• Anon

I, for one, welcome this man to speak on campus.  So many people stand to benefit from listening to this man’s words. If every liberal Cal student could finally see that the very real hate harbored by the majority of Black people, perhaps it would wake them up from their multicultural fantasy world.

I can see, can you?

• libsrclowns

Try reading some of his speeches. I’m not against him speaking but it seems to conflict with the no hate policy of ASUC

• University Of Fail

“According to Jewish Student Union President Arielle Gabai, the union
    hopes to meet with members of the Black Student Union and Dean of
    Students Jonathan Poullard to have a dialogue this week about the issue.”

Are we going to pretend that the administration actually gives a flying fuck about hate speech?

• Asaad

So wait: The UC Berkeley Black Student Union and the Afrikan Black Coalition Conference has to get the permission and seek the counsel of the campus Jewish student group Tikvah?  So when was the last time the BSU told Tikvah who they can have over at their meeting?  I get it, we are still considered your slaves and property and not a free people so you continue to carry the erroneous thinking that we require your permission.  Well allow me to inform you of the following.  You do not control free thinking Black folks and you will never control Farrakhan and those that stand with him. NEVER!

• Stan De San Diego

“I get it, we are still considered your slaves and property and not a
      free people so you continue to carry the erroneous thinking that we
      require your permission.”

Go off the deep end much?

• Noimidwife

Right Asaad!  It feels good to be FREE!  Salih Muhammad will represent us well. 

• student

Should I assume Salih Muhammad agrees with Farrakhan’s statements about gays and Jews? Or is he going to make a statement saying his disagrees with Farrakhan’s statements about those groups?
        His name is on this event, so he might as well address these concerns. What does he have to hide?

• Nope

Not at all. You’re completely missing the point.

The issue is ASUC sponsorship. It conflicts with the 
      University of California “Principles of Community” (http://berkeley.edu/about/prin… which state that we as students should “strive to uphold a just community in which discrimination and hate are not tolerated.”By sponsoring this conference, the ASUC is tolerating hate. Simple. They can have the conference here, but ASUC should follow its own rules and withdraw sponsorship.And if Farrakhan calling an entire ethnic group “the synagogue of satan” isn’t hatred, then what is it? Please answer that.

• libsrclowns

Let’s invite the Grand Wizard for balance

Hello

• Asaad

I agree “Nope” that the University has the right to pull sponsorship of the conference and we should also note more of the points used in the UCB “Principles of Community” such as:

- We are committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue that elicits the full spectrum of views held by our varied communities.

- We respect the differences as well as the commonalities that bring us together and call for civility and respect in our personal interactions.

I would assume that the definition of what is considered hate (and the moral qualities of the word) are really at question here.  How do you define hate?  And would you consider the book of Proverbs (specifically Chapter 6 verse 16) a hate teaching?

As for the so called “synagogue of satan” misquote you might want to locate the full context of the speech because I was personally there and he was speaking specifically about a wicked group that say that they are Jews but are imposters and have highjacked the name and use it to shield there dirty practices…kind of like how some who call themselves Muslims but are not using a good name to do wickedness.  So no it is not hatred to oppose wrong.

I will end with this that came from a conversation I had with a Jewish man one day about the Honorable Louis Farrakhan and why he felt that he was a hater of Jewish people and all that and the bottom line (and not that he speaks for all Jewish people) was this (and I quote him): He (Farrakhan) doesn’t have the right to criticize any Jewish person!”

Would you be so kind as to address the questions I raised above.  We must show the other posters that that we can have intellectually non emotional discourse.

[As for the so called "synagogue of satan" misquote you might want to
          locate the full context of the speech because I was personally there and
          he was speaking specifically about a wicked group that say that they
          are Jews but are imposters and have highjacked the name and use it to
          shield there dirty practices.]

Well, you better explain that to your other NOI buddy here. He has a bit of a reading comprehension problem…

• Carlos

representatives BSU were present at the ASUC meeting urging the senators to pass a bill to push the college republican for the bake sale last semester. How is this any different?? 

• Adsahjh

Arielle Gabai, you are cute, but you are a fucking moron. What dialogue is there to be held? The Black Student Union is led by this Salih Muhammad Nation of Islam idiot. These people are anti-Semitic and anti-White. There should be no more dialogue with them than with the KKK. 

• SpeakTruthToPower

the head of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, Did you know that the ADL knows that Min. Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam are not anti-Semitic? According to the book, The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews, Volume Two”, I quote:In response to the 1959 Time Magazine article, the head of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, Arnold Forster, admitted in a secret memo that “Time magazine notwithstanding, we have no documentable evidence of anti-Semitism on the part of the Temples of Islam movement or Elijah Muhammad.” He affirmed that they are “not anti-Jewish per se.” Yet Jewish organizations publicly continued to label the NOI as “anti-Semitic.”Please define the meaning of “anti-Semitic”.Did you know that the ADL knows that Min. Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam are not anti-Semitic? According to the book, The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews, Volume Two”, I quote:In response to the 1959 Time Magazine article, the head of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, Arnold Forster, admitted in a secret memo that “Time magazine notwithstanding, we have no documentable evidence of anti-Semitism on the part of the Temples of Islam movement or Elijah Muhammad.” He affirmed that they are “not anti-Jewish per se.” Yet Jewish organizations publicly continued to label the NOI as “anti-Semitic.”Please define the meaning of “anti-Semitic”.

• SpeakTruthToPower

There was a computer glitch. Please disregard the repetition.

The only “glitch” is inside your own little CPU…

• SpeakTruthToPower

This comment is in response to all that think that Min. Farrakhan is a hater: The Ku Klux Klan hated (and still hates) both the Jewish and Black communities. As a result, they lynched, murdered, andviolently harrassed the Black community without remorse.  Min. Farrakhan has never hurt any member of the Jewish community. He has never even threatened to harm any member of the Jewish community…yet you all still refer to him as a hater.  In contrast, the Jewish community (by their own accounts) has participated in both slavery, the cotton trade, and Jim Crow hatred. Yet, Black people (in particular Bro. Farrakhan) have never risen to harm them.

It seems as though you all don’t want him to come to UC, because you don’t agree with what he teaches…but hatred is not it!

• Anon

Blacks participated in slaver, and still do. There are more slaves today then there were in 1865.

…you’re a hater

• SpeakTruthToPower

Actually, there were over 500,000,000 that were victims of the TransAtlantic slave trade. So, your math is incorrect.

Really now? 500 million?

Where do you come up with that number, given that it’s over half again the current population of the United States?

• reztips

500 million! You are a royal fucking cretin. There weren’t remotely even that number of people in Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries. You are about as bright as your mentor, that halfwit (hold your nose) Fart-His-Can. Did you even finish your GED?

• libsrclowns

Probably a diversity admit

• Nice Try

Pffft. Farrakhan says Jews are the “synagogue of Satan,” and that we’re “bloodsuckers,” we control the media, we’re responsible for keeping Black people down…and that doesn’t sound like hatred to you? 

This is hate speech about ethnic groups. I could argue back to your Jewish-participation-in-the-slave-trade comments that some Black people have murdered some Jewish people, but that’s not the point. The point is, Farrakhan has made defamatory and false statements about Jews, with baseless messages of pure hatred. Where is the evidence that we’re in cahoots with Satan? Oh, that’s right, THERE IS NONE.

It’s hatred. 

• SpeakTruthToPower

To respond: Min. Farrakhan never coined the phrase that “Jews are the “synagogue of Satan”. That passage comes from your Bible, written many ages before Min. Farrakhan was even born! It was actually spoken of by Jesus who is describing those who claim that they are Jews, but are evil, and he refers to them as “the Synagogue of Satan…” You can find this in Revelations.

However, by comparing Jesus’ words to Min. Farrakhan’s words…you are absolutely correct!

[That passage comes from your Bible, written many ages before Min. Farrakhan was even born!]

Really? What passage? Can you name it?

• SpeakTruthToPower

I’d be glad to:

the Book of Revelations chapters 2 and 3:

Chapter 2
            [verse 9] I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.
            Chapter 3
            [cerse 9] Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Those passages in NO way attribute Jews to being what you have claimed. You have some serious reading comprehension issues. Did you even finish high school?

• Stan De San Diego

So it says that some people claim to be practitioners of a given religion when they are not, in order to mask their ill intent. No surprise there, I’m sure there are similar passages in the canon of all major religions. That’s far different than stating that the Bible claims Jews are the “synagogue of Satan”. Your interpretation of such doesn’t speak high of your own intellectual honesty.

• Nunya Beeswax

That’s “The Revelation of St John the Divine”, or at least “The Revelation”.  It’s not plural.

It can be argued that John (following Paul’s lead) considers the Christian church to be the new Israel of God, and therefore Christians to be the “real” Jews.  This would indeed make the Jewish practices of Temple worship and the nascent rabbinical tradition superfluous.  But such an exegesis ignores the reality of Jews who practiced Christianity without ever repudiating their Judaism; they attended synagogue on the Sabbath and participated in the Eucharist on Sunday. 

Context, the bete noire of evangelicals…

Jewish columnist Joel Stein demonstrates in his article in the LA Times on December 19, 2008, states that “Yes, we control Hollywood.” And former Israeli Minister
        Shulamit Aloni expresses the same to Amy Goodman on a Democracy Now
        program. Below are the citations. Not to mention the wealth of
        information that is found in the Encyclopedia Judaica using key words
        like Monopoly, Slave Trade, Sugar, etc.

If one was to listen to the Saviours’ Day 2012 address, Minister Farrakhan clearly states that the “Synagogue of Satan” is not all nor exclusively Jewish, that there are member from
        all races making up this social order. So stop trying to generalize the issue as being solely a rant against Jews. Liars!

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-stein19-2008dec19,0,4676183.column

http://youtu.be/D0kWAqZxJVE

http://www.bjeindy.org/encyclopedia_judaica_online

• reztips

Well, it is true that Hollywood Jewish producers gave the talentless Spike Lee $80 million (a huge sum at that time) to make the bio film Malcom X. Speaking of whom, it’s pretty well known that while he was never indicted, Fart-His-Can played a role in Malcom’s murder. And some believe he actually ordered the hit…

You do know that Hollywood is not in the business of portraying reality?

Holly-wood –Holly is the whitest of all woods, and has been used in making piano keys. It was considered sacred by the druids, and played a part in the magic of the Greeks and Romans. It was especially suitable for divination. In early Europe, holly and other thorny plants were believed to repel all evil spirits. (Gale, p. 2.) The same apotropaic properties were noted by Pliny the Elder (23-79 CE).

Butler, E. M., Ritual Magic (Cambridge, 1949, reprint Hollywood, Newcastle, 1971.)
            She cites (p. 122) Cellini’s account of ritual magic (circa 1533) along the lines of the grimoires,
            including the use of a wand.

• reztips

“Holly is the whitest of all woods.” Wow, Rodney, that’s profound. Next thing we know, you will tell us that polar bears are not only racist, but they are Jewish…

• Stan De San Diego

” In contrast, the Jewish community (by their own accounts) has participated in both slavery”

Funny, but do did the black Africans, and in fact there is still slavery in places like Mauritania and the Sudan. Are you going to deal with that reality or just going to turn tail like your hero when he was questioned on the same subject some years ago?

• SpeakTruthToPower

First of all, “My Hero” has never “turned tail”…he has never backed down from the truth…and neither will I. The fact is that there is slavery still existing in both the Eastern and Western Hemispheres. In fact, there was an article that appeared last year that discussed slavery still existing in some states here in the U.S. My point for bringing it up was not to place blame on anyone involved in this atrocities of slavery…my point was to say that Min. Farrakhan has never truly hated or harmed any member of the Jewish community, even though they have participated in acts of hatred against the Black community. Please stay focused on the topic of discussion.

• reztips

Dear Truth to Power: please don’t demonize Jews for the role a handful of them played in the slave trade. The truth of the matter, as some superb black historians have documented, is that the majority of Africans sent to the New World as slaves were originally rounded up by more powerful African tribes. The Ashanti and other prominent African tribal groupings went into the interior and rounded up vulnerable fellow Africans and then sold them to the Europeans, who basically cowered in their bailiwicks on the coast. 

Minister Farakhan and the Black Muslims would never acknowledge this historical reality. Instead, he and his associates have succumbed to bigotry, placing the blame on Jews for the plight of fellow blacks. And of course, there is no mention that the majority of young whites involved in the Civil Rights Movement were Jewish…

• SpeakTruthToPower

The truth, though it may be disheartening, is that it was far more than just “a handful” that participated…I’m not just talking about the actual voyage or harsh physical treatment, I am more-so discussing the monetary benefit from over 400 years of free labor. There are thousands of accounts of Jewish companies that took advantage of the cotton that was picked. The cotton was then given to the Jewish businessmen who turned it into lint cloth, who then produced clothes and clothing companies, banks, and other million/billion dollar companies- all profiting from slavery…But again, this was not my point for bringing up slavery. Again, my point was to say that Min. Farrakhan has never truly hated or harmed any member of the Jewish community, even though they have participated in acts of hatred against the Black community. Please stay focused on the topic of discussion.

• reztips

SpeakTruth (now there is a misnomer if there ever was one), you are one ignorant MF. Where did you study history? The Muslim School of anti-Semitism? Or did you waste your time in the Black Studies Department at Cal under the tutelage of intellectually challenged fools who “earned” their degrees because they were given a “pass” by their PC professors? 

In truth, there were a minuscle number of Jews who profited by the slave trade-far fewer than the many Africans who sold their black brethren to Christian European slavers. And, of course, Arabs were involved in the African slave trade long before Europeans and many of these Muslims reaped an enormous profit from the “black cargo” they sold into misery and degradation. You will never hear The “Honorable” Fart-His-Can acknowledge this…

[I am more-so discussing the monetary benefit from over 400 years of free labor. ]

Slavery was outlawed in 1865. Given that slaves weren’t even brought to the US until the 1600′s, where do you come up with “over 400 years”?

[There are thousands of accounts of Jewish companies that took advantage of the cotton that was picked.]

Really? Name them…

• Arafat

Actually the Muslim slave trade was far larger than any other.  Plus there are still Muslim countries wheree slavery is legal:  MAuritania and Niger to name two.

Islam and slavery have always gone together. 

Mohammed, Islam’s prophet, enslaved thousands and raped many of his women slaves. 

[The fact is that there is slavery still existing in both the Eastern and
          Western Hemispheres. In fact, there was an article that appeared last
          year that discussed slavery still existing in some states here in the
          U.S."]

Oh, really? Sources and cites, please.

• SpeakTruthToPower

Sure, among other sources, ABC News/Nightline did a story. You can read it here: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=129007&page=1

• SpeakTruthToPower

This was in the Mississippi Delta area. There are many other accounts in Mississippi and other states as well.

Whether a handful of individuals committed criminal acts or not is far different from the fact that slavery has been illegal for the last 150 years. If you are really that worried about some black people being kept in chattel servitude, may I suggest you direct your attention at the pimps who keep stables of girls on the streets of Oakland and other cities with large African-American populations. Of course, most of those pimps are black themselves, so it’s probably not conducive to your particular agenda to bring it up…

• Abraham

@Tony M, Labor slavery may have been illegal for 150 years but the damage has already been done. Today we have monetary slavery because the people that rose in wealth during the unfair treatment of blacks are now in power. Look at Rockafeller, the Rothschilds etc… A lot of Jews obtained their wealth DURING slavery. Please don’t tell me you actually attend UCLA, I would “love” to meet you in person.

• SpeakTruthToPower

This is in response to you asking me to name some of the bankers that benefited from “slave-money”. As previously quoted, The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews, Volume Two is recorded as stated below:

Banking historian Larry Schweikart wrote that “A substantial number of southern Jews engaged inbanking, and their records show strong kinship bonds and interregional ties of ethnicity that add still other divisionsto the banking class.” According to several Jewish sources, the following is an abbreviated∗“A substantial number of southern Jews engaged inbanking, and their records show strong kinship bonds and interregional ties of ethnicity that add still other divisionsto the banking class.” According to several Jewish sources, the following is an abbreviated∗According to several Jewish sources, the following is an abbreviated∗list of Jewish bankers in the American South. Many more Jewish merchants acted as informalbanks throughout the Southern countryside.Jewish Banker Place Position Timeframe & DescriptionAlabama& DescriptionAlabamaOtto Marx Birmingham banker early 1900sBurghard andSigfried SteinerBirmingham bank owners 1887; once saved the city from bankruptcyMervyn Sterne Birmingham invest. banker 1920sLouis Falk Decatur board member late 1800s; served on the boards of Morgan CountyBuilding & Loan Assoc. and First National BankHugo Schloss Eufaula board member late 1800s; local bankJoseph Seligman Greensboro invest. banker mid-1800s; began as peddler; became internationalSalomon Andrews Huntsville commissioner 1829; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; once saved the city from bankruptcyMervyn Sterne Birmingham invest. banker 1920sLouis Falk Decatur board member late 1800s; served on the boards of Morgan CountyBuilding & Loan Assoc. and First National BankHugo Schloss Eufaula board member late 1800s; local bankJoseph Seligman Greensboro invest. banker mid-1800s; began as peddler; became internationalSalomon Andrews Huntsville commissioner 1829; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; served on the boards of Morgan CountyBuilding & Loan Assoc. and First National BankHugo Schloss Eufaula board member late 1800s; local bankJoseph Seligman Greensboro invest. banker mid-1800s; began as peddler; became internationalSalomon Andrews Huntsville commissioner 1829; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; local bankJoseph Seligman Greensboro invest. banker mid-1800s; began as peddler; became internationalSalomon Andrews Huntsville commissioner 1829; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; began as peddler; became internationalSalomon Andrews Huntsville commissioner 1829; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; also operated in TuscaloosaMorris Bernstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; local bankRobert Herstein Huntsville board member late 1800s; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; local bankGerson May Jasper director c. 1900Ike May Jasper pres., bd. mem. c. 1900Lehman Brothers Montgomery invest. bankers 1850s; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; slave owners; cotton traders/factorsMoses Brothers Montgomery bank owners 1880s; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; Moses Bros. Bank; they were “prime movers”in establishing the town of Sheffield in 1884Leonel Weil Montgomery board member mid-1900s; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; First Alabama Bank of MontgomeryMorris Hohenberg Selma board memberBernard Friedman Tuscaloosa bank founder c. 1880s; first bank in the town; first bank in the townArkansas†Simon Adler Batesville bank founder post-Civil War; People’s Savings BankJoe Isaacs Blytheville bank co-founder c. 1930s; was also a merchant and cotton buyerHenry Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; First National Bank of Camden; he andbrother Leo invested in land and propertyLeo Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; Merchants & Planters Bank; mayor(1920s); owned largest jewelry store in SW Ark.Henry Myar Camden bank founder,presidentc. 1900; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; People’s Savings BankJoe Isaacs Blytheville bank co-founder c. 1930s; was also a merchant and cotton buyerHenry Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; First National Bank of Camden; he andbrother Leo invested in land and propertyLeo Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; Merchants & Planters Bank; mayor(1920s); owned largest jewelry store in SW Ark.Henry Myar Camden bank founder,presidentc. 1900; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; was also a merchant and cotton buyerHenry Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; First National Bank of Camden; he andbrother Leo invested in land and propertyLeo Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; Merchants & Planters Bank; mayor(1920s); owned largest jewelry store in SW Ark.Henry Myar Camden bank founder,presidentc. 1900; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; First National Bank of Camden; he andbrother Leo invested in land and propertyLeo Berg Camden bank president early 1900s; Merchants & Planters Bank; mayor(1920s); owned largest jewelry store in SW Ark.Henry Myar Camden bank founder,presidentc. 1900; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; Merchants & Planters Bank; mayor(1920s); owned largest jewelry store in SW Ark.Henry Myar Camden bank founder,presidentc. 1900; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; Camden National Bank; stockholder in severalbanks; one of the wealthiest men in ArkansasMoses “Mose” Stern Camden co-founder, dir. c. 1900s; Ouachita Valley Bank; pres. of Board of TradeMayer F. Gates Conway bank co-founder c. 1920s; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; First National Bank of ConwayLouis Blumberg Cotton Plant bank vice-pres. early 1900s; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; local bankJoe Goldstein Dermott bank founder 1900s; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; First Natl. Bk. of Dermott; pres. of Cham. of Comm.Dave Kimpel Dermott bank officer 1890s; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; served as the 2nd mayor of the townA. Feibelman Eudora bank vice-pres. c. early 1900s; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; served as vice president of 2 banksA. A. Fischel Eudora bank secretary c. early 1900s; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; Merchants and Planters BankReynold H. Meyer Eudora bank founder,presidentearly 1900s; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor; First Natl. Bank of Lake Village; v.p. ofFirst Natl. Bank of Eudora; served as mayor

[“A substantial number of southern Jews engaged inbanking, and their records show strong kinship bonds and interregional ties of ethnicity that add still other divisions to the banking class.”]

Banking is not a crime, and not the same as owning slaves, so get over it.

• Stan De San Diego

Evasion noted.

• SpeakTruthToPower

These threads can be confusing to some readers. I posted my response already, but I don’t mind repeating it. Among others,  ABC News/Nightline did a story, and the article can be read here: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=129007&page=1

• Stan De San Diego

“These threads can be confusing to some readers.”

They are only “confusing” in that certain people who wish to avoid answering questions do so by performing a data dump of tangential and/or otherwise irrelevant information to a discussion. Whether or not Jews were involved in the banking business has nothing to do with answering the question about whether slavery still exists in Africa (which it does).

• Abraham

No matter how much factual information you show the troll – Tony M – he still requests sources. He has not provided a SINGLE source, yet he retains his sentiments towards the history of Jews and Blacks. I am mixed with both and I cannot tell you how much racial slurs were said to me by my fellow Jewish community. The fact of the matter is society is too overly sensitive to “anti-semetic” remarks. Get over yourselves people!

• Quincy Abraham

Where are your sources and sites to prove otherwise? Don’t have any? Well, I shall point you in the right direction. Who runs our nation’s central bank? Who owns Britain’s central bank? Who designed the concept of a central bank? You’re honestly so NAIVE to think there is no truth in the rumors you may have heard – Jews control the global monetary infrastructure. Pick up a damn book, turn off your damn TV (Fox “news”) and actually try to remain unbiased for ONCE in your life.

[Jews control the global monetary infrastructure.}

You and the other anti-semites ought to coordinate on your uniform choices – think of the money you could save with volume purchases of brown shirts…

• libsrclowns

Blacks in what is now Ghana and Nigeria rounded up men and sold them to the slave traders.

• Olusola Muhammad

Yes as black people, we did assist the whiteman to round up men and sold them to white slave traders. In Africa, before you arrived on our shores we were fighting amongst ourselves and we had wars similar to what could be described as your ‘Civil War’, and many wars similar to the continuous fighting between England & France, Spain against Portugal, Germany against others, internal wars in England, etc, etc.

In all those wars, there were always prisoners of war. Well in Africa, the white man offered my people an evil price for our people. What my people did not know was what was going to happen to them once they went through ‘the hole of no return’ (gate to the slave ships).

Our people thought they were just doing normal trade with another man, who was pale in complexion, looked like a man, but underneath and inside the man was evil personified. Our people had forgotten that our fellow Muslim brothers had prevented white people from entering the East for millennia and were in fact doing battle with white people all over Africa – they knew who white people were (forgotten today).

So we stupidly sold our prisoners of war and there were millions sold. it wasn’t just prisoners of war that were rounded up and sold!

So here we are today in 2012 and until Africa atones for her part in selling her own family into Slavery, a wound remains that needs healing.

• libsrclowns

Your people went deep into the interior and selected the best physical specimens to sell. That’s why we now have the best basketball teams in the world.

[First of all, "My Hero" has never "turned tail"...he has never backed down from the truth...and neither will I.]

Yeah, right, buddy, whatever you say. He’s a sniveling coward, and so are you.

Somebody asked you a question about slavery in present-day Africa and the Muslim world, just as your freaking hero has been asked about it as well. Instead of answering it, you start spouting some ludicrous BULLSHIT about slavery still existing “in some states in the US”. If you believe that’s true, why don’t you tell us which ones? I bet you won’t, because just like Calypso Louie, YOU are a LIAR and  COWARD. Comprende, amigo?

I’ll look forward to hearing you ass-clowns speak on the Cal campus, because it’s clear you are all going to make total fools of yourselves in the process.

• libsrclowns

LOL, PBUH

• Quincy Abraham

You’re in total denial but it’s ok. I bet you FULLY Israel’s actions as well. Associated Press and Reuters ARE owned by Jewish people. Reuters is the main source of news that is then filtered to the large media outlets – ABC, CBS, NBC…. and you claim they don’t play a factor in the media … I am sick and honestly tired of how hyper-sensitive our community has gotten. Any word or phrase is deemed “anti-semetic.” Well, what about racist comments made to Black people? Don Imus was fired but quickly hired again by another Radio program. What about the French designer who was shunned and never allowed to participate in fashion shows because of his “anti-semetic” views. You’re full of nonsense. I myself am Jewish and I totally disagree with you. Mygrandfather was disowned by his wealthy family simply because he fell in love with my Jamaican grandmother. Society today is way over protective of the jewish community. 

• reztips

Quincy, since you are from Jamaica it appears that your mind has been impaired by a potent spliff. Neither the AP nor Reuters are owned by “Jewish people.” Indeed, Reuters is largely British owned and the primary investors are certainly not Jewish.

BTW, Quincy, I have a bridge to see you cheap. Even though I’m Jewish, I’m certain you would be a sucker for it…

• Stan De San Diego

Evasion noted. Once again, care to tell us why the Nation Of Islam won’t acknowledge, much less condemn, present-day slavery in Africa? Perhaps it’s for the same reason that Farrakhan was so deferential to a certain late Colonel Qaddafi of Libya fame? Maybe we should follow the money…

• Olusola Muhammad

The Honourable Minister Louis Farrakhan and the members of the Nation of Islam would be the first to condemn any knowledge of the practice of slavery. I recall Minister Louis Farrakhan speaking on the problems in Sudan; the Arab North and the black animist South. He has also spoken on numerous occassions about the imperialist Arab agenda which enslaved millions of Africans, but as you can read from my post above, the slavery by Arabs was in no way as atrocious or barbaric as that perpetrated against black people by the white man (British & Irish & other demonic Europeans).

• reztips

“British & Irish & other demonic Europeans”–WTF is this, a Hollywood horror flick? Fart-His-Can is a supporter of the pro-genocidal Hamas and was a great advocate of Quaddafi, among other Arab tyrants…

[He has also spoken on numerous occassions about the imperialist Arab agenda which enslaved millions of Africans, but as you can read from my post above, the slavery by Arabs was in no way as atrocious or barbaric]

Oh, bullshit. You have now lost all credibility here.

• Olusola Muhammad

@52c3adc45f8cb49574f3fee1f3d73374:disqus
         Stan DeSan Diego. Its unfortunate that any human being seeks to enslave another. However we must put into context the enslavement of my family in America against the so-called slavery in Africa. Black people in America fulfill the Abrahamic prophecy of being a strange people in a strange land for 400 years, where they would suffer and be afflicted with much sorrow and pain. To describe what white people did to black people in America would make a ‘brass monkey’ cry (Elijah Muhammad), so I would suggest you take some time and go and find out for yourself.

To demonstrate the cruelty of what white people did to Blacks in America please note the Aligator babies era that took place in Florida and that region, where black babies were placed in baskets to attract aligators. Once the aligator snatched the black baby in its jaws the white men would then be in the position to kill the aligator.

As for slavery in Mauritania and the Sudan and other parts of Africa: there has been for millennia a practice in Africa where families are indentured to families to help them. Sort of like butlers/servants who live in a household and serve the needs of the family. The so-called slaves live with family, are sent to school, can marry into the family and remain with the family for many years, if not generations. Sometimes the house-help is treated with much cruelty and the benefits as stated above do not accrue to them.

The above two scenarios happen all over Africa. It happened and happens right here in England today and elsewhere. But the most remarkable element of this type of so-called slavery is that the cruelty and barbarity inflicted on black people in America is not seen or practiced.

Finally, as black people we have not forgotten the enslavement of our people by Arabs and those who purported to be Muslims, yet carried out a practice that Allah did not and has never sanctioned. Our enslavement by the Arabs, as with the practice of household servants in Africa, was the same in the Arab world and there are very few records, if any, of the type and practice of slavery that was inflicted on black people by white people in America showing the same to be done by Arabs. How many black women do you know of that were allowed to become and inherit the wealth of white slave owners? This was common practice by Arabs against black Africans.

Perhaps a read of my article may help:
        http://anticolonialmedia.com/2011/06/the-black-woman/

Hoping the above is of some help to you.

• reztips

Well, Muhammad, Allah never intended to have dogshit like Fart-His-Can brainwash his followers into anti-Semitism either…

• David K.

making s relationship between the way people feel about Farrakhan and how people feel about the KKK to start with makes your argument worthless. No one compares him to the KKK and neither should you; what a weak, stupid argument

• Thebeliever

The truth has a strange way of provoking idiots,racists, and fools to make incredulous and ridiculous comments about issues they don’t really know anything about.  I suggest each of you,,,,all of you take time out to find out a little more than hearsay, and quotes taken out of context.  The most Honoraable Minister Louis Farrakhan is one of wisest, most truthful human being that God (ALLAH) has blessed to give us wisdom and guidance.  May ALLAH  CONTINUE TO BLESS AND PROTECT HIM IN ALL HIS ENDEAVORS!!

• Noimidwife

Absolutely @Thebeliever – Most who have issues with Minister Farrakhan have never actually listened to him.  Here is the thing – BLACK PEOPLE DON’T HAVE TO ASK JEWISH (OR ANY OTHER PEOPLE) FOR PERMISSION TO HEAR ONE OF THEIR LEADERS SPEAK.  And in the spirit of Self Determination, we will choose who are leaders are.  Minsiter Farrakhan is a man who brought more than a million Black men to Washington DC and he has transformed lives around the World.  When something is the truth it is not hate.  Analyze Minister Farrakhan’s words to confirm they are factual.  Just because something may hurt someone’s feelings doesn’t mean it is hate – it just confirms the saying “The Truth Hurts”.  Minister Farrakhan and/or members of the NOI do not hate Jews or White people – they hate wickedness, greed, and lies.  To the speaker who said Calypso Louie – that is so disrespectful, but then again – you are just being yourself.

• Stan De San Diego

” To the speaker who said Calypso Louie”

Why is that disrespectful, given that he used to be a calypso singer?

• Nice Try again

Right, Black people don’t need to ask permission.

The issue here is that the ASUC is funding this conference, and Farrakhan’s hate speech goes directly against the principles of community that the ASUC is supposed to uphold.

As for not hating Jews and white people…hmm, calling Jews “synagoge of Satan” and “bloodsuckers” sounds an awful lot like hatred to me. What would you call that, if not hatred? Because it’s certainly not truth. Answer that, please.

• Noimidwife

At the end of the day he will be heard, whether or not the ASUC funding is a factor or not.  We fund Minister Farrakhan.  Again, members of the Nation of Islam do not hate Whites or Jews.  I do not care to explain because it wouldn’t matter if I did.  You all will believe what you will and quite frankly I do not care. 

• student

You can say “we don’t hate Jews” until you’re blue in the face, but if you do like Farrakhan and say Jews are Satanic and bloodsucking, that’s a statement of hatred.  Even a five year old could figure that out. Just because you say it isn’t hatred doesn’t magically make it fine.

• Noimidwife

I will never say “we don’t hate Jews” until I am blue in the face.  I stated a fact – We don’t hate Jews -take it or leave it alone.  Unlike the others who have been balanced and focused trying to present our position in the midst of ignorance and disrespect, I feel quite comfortable with what I have already said.  If you want to know more then show up at the conference. 

• student

The NoI doesn’t hate Jews…they just think Jews are Satanic and bloodsucking. But that’s totally not hatred, not at all! Why on earth would anyone think that?

You have lost your mind.

• libsrclowns

“the white man is our mortal enemy and we cannot accept him”

Give me some “context” for this.

I think the “context” is that our “believer” here has drunk the NOI kool-aid.

• Olusola Muhammad

How about for every 1000 years of the past 6000 years your people have killed over 100,000,000 Original people on OUR Planet. So teaches Master Fard Muhammad, The Supreme Being and Master of This Judgement in which we now live.

• reztips

Don’t you mean Master Fraud, not Fard?

• Nunya Beeswax

Buddy, you’re a Muslim like the Jehovah’s Witnesses are Christians.

• Guestwho

Were the 100 million “Original People” Martians?

• Stan De San Diego

I could call you a kook, but that would be a severe understatement…

• Liu

Perhaps the white students, jewish students and LGBT students who would be offended by this man’s hate speech should take a page from SJP/MSA’s playbook.    Show up and disrupt it, heckle it and   and assert their free speech rights above and beyond everyone else’s.

• FreedomThink19

What happened to freedom of speech? I’m happy to see these students taking a stand. Farrakhan is needed on the campuses more than ever.

• libsrclowns

And why is he needed?

• Dotsconnector

Because America is being dragged into another war, this time with Iran, and their isn’t one national leader whith the exception of Rep. Ron Paul, that has a pair of testicles or ovaries that is standing up to the military industrial complex or AIPAC to say “hold your horses partner!” No matter what is said about Minister Farrakhan, history will absolve him of your foolish talk and selective political correctness.

• Riddle me this

What about his anti-gay comments? Why should Cal roll out of red carpet for a man who has made disgusting statements of hatred toward LGBT people?

• libsrclowns

Because white Libs are cowering in their cubbies at Cal

• SpeakTruthToPower

He is actually quoted as saying  that he loves his lesbian and gay brothers and sisters, but he does not like anything that God does not like. He also stated that one unacceptable behavior is not better then the other…meaning you can not say that cheating is wrong, but stealing is right. (The latter was my own example for clarification purposes.)

• libsrclowns

So he’s a double talker also.

Come on, look at the posts by his followers. I honestly believe that the more Berkeley students are exposed to the ideas of this man and his flock, the quicker they will figure out that Calypso Louie and NOI are an out-to-lunch bunch that makes BAMN look like the League of Women Voters in comparison. Bring it on…

• libsrclowns

Black racist …….OK, come in, can I get you a drink.

White racist ……protest, riot, prevent the pig from speaking.

Cal kiddies are soooo clownish

[Ickowitz said there is a difference between controversial speech and
    hate speech, and that Farrakhan’s past statements fall into the category
    of hate speech.]

Calypso Louie’s definitely a practitioner of “hate speech”, but that’s no grounds to ban him. Let him foam and flail, so anyone with half a brain sees that the man is a kook.

• Nunya Beeswax

Agreed, preventing him from speaking only allows him to play the martyr card. 

• libsrclowns

Welcome to Cal you racist hater:

A few interesting things have drooled from Farrakhan’s mouth over the years:

+ “White people are potential humans – they haven’t evolved yet.”

+ “The Jews have been so bad at politics they lost half their population in the Holocaust. They thought they could trust in Hitler, and they helped him get the Third Reich on the road.”

+ “Were they not involved in the slave trade? Yes, they were … and to the extent that they were involved, somebody has to bring them to account. And I believe that has fallen on me.”

+ “The Jews don’t like Farrakhan, so they call me Hitler. Well, that’s a good name. Hitler was a very great man. He rose Germany up from the ashes.”

+ “They call (Hezbollah) terrorists, I call them freedom fighters. No one asks why they would do such a thing. Why would they do such a thing? What has driven them to this point? That’s what the UN, the U.S. and Europe doesn’t want to deal with because the Zionists have control in England, in Europe, in the United States and around the world.”

+ “The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the late of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.”

Quote sources: The Guardian

So proud of the BSU at Cal….Let the hate spew forth

• Stan De San Diego

I agree the man is vile and a kook, but I’m not going to fall into the “hate speech” trap. Let him have his word – he will put his foot in his mouth before his speech is over.

“In comments in 2005, Farrakhan stated that there was a 25-foot (7.6 m) hole under one of the key levees that failed in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. He implied that the levee’s destruction was a deliberate attempt to wipe out the population of the largely Black sections within the city. Farrakhan later said that New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin told him of the crater during a meeting in Dallas, Texas.[13] Farrakhan further claimed that the fact the levee broke the day after Hurricane Katrina is proof that the destruction of the levee was not a natural occurrence. Farrakhan has raised additional questions and has called for federal investigations into the source of the levee break.[14][15] He also asserted that the hurricane was “God’s way of punishing America for its warmongering and racism”.[16]

Experts including the Independent Levee Investigation Team (ILIT) from the University of California, Berkeley have countered his accusations. The report from the ILIT said “The findings of this panel are that the overtopping of the levees by flood waters, the often sub-standard materials used to shore up the levees, and the age of the levees contributed to these “scour holes” found at many of the sites of levee breaks after the hurricane.”[17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Farrakhan

• libsrclowns

Let him speak, he’s a racist hater. Read his stuff

• SpeakTruthToPower

If the Grand Wizard wants to come and speak, then let him speak…This country entitles him to free speech.

• student

University of California “Principles of Community” (http://berkeley.edu/about/principles.shtml) which state that we as students should “strive to uphold a just community in which discrimination and hate are not tolerated.”

By sponsoring this conference, the ASUC is tolerating hate. Simple. They can have the conference here, but ASUC should follow its own rules and withdraw sponsorship.