Editor’s note on V.O.I.C.E. coverage

As the V.O.I.C.E. Initiative grows as a subject in the community’s discourse, our responsibility as a news organization to cover it and provide a forum for various perspectives becomes more and more prominent.

There is no doubt The Daily Californian as an organization would benefit from passage of the referendum. However, our duty to provide objective information and genuine analysis is and always will be paramount.

That is why we intend to cover the V.O.I.C.E. Initiative just as we would any other issue, preserving a strong divide between our financial interest and our mission as journalists.

We have a duty to be open to our readers about this concern, and we urge you to share your thoughts with us. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected]

Tomer Ovadia is the editor in chief and president. Contact him at [email protected]

• Guest

Tomer Ovadia, take a good long look in the mirror and reflect upon your dishonest statements and biased reporting.

• No On Voice
  • *

Why does a private organization that maintains independence from the university, but still exploits it’s name to make money, have any right to funds from Cal students?

• Super Happy

This is really scandalous.  A private organization, the Daily Cal, should not be able to compel contributions from all students just because a majority decides they should.  If people want to voluntarily give $2 to the Daily Cal, then by all means, feel free.  But don’t expect me to give money to a private organization just because I want to get an education here.

• Stan De San Diego

“This is really scandalous.  A private organization, the Daily Cal,
      should not be able to compel contributions from all students just
      because a majority decides they should.”

True, but this is the mentality you get from all these people who blather about how everything should be “democratized”. It’s merely a ruse for the majority to stick it to the minority.

• Adsahjh

“There is no doubt The Daily Californian as an organization would benefit from passage of the referendum. ”

Sure, there is. Getting a handout encourages dependency and discourages innovation.

Here’s an idea–stop printing. That would not only eliminate $140k in printing/distribution costs, but it would reduce significantly your labor costs–you could get rid of most of the business staff, and you could pay editors less since they would be spending significantly less time dealing with print-related problems. It would also increase web traffic to your website.

• Guest

you obviously have no idea what you’re talking about

• Sdkhfd

Care to explain what is wrong with that assessment?

• Atlas Sobbed

You obviously have no intent to explain what you think is wrong with Adsahjh’s entirely valid objection. If the Daily Cal can’t afford print, they should cut print and go online–like countless other publications in the past 5-10 years. Charging all students fees is not the solution.

• Stan De San Diego

“You obviously have no intent to explain what you think is wrong with Adsahjh’s entirely valid objection.”

Nailed it.

• Guest

Lulz and then the conservatives wonder why capitalism has put us in a recession with job cuts everywhere… :P Seems to me like your idea of “innovation” is firing people.

• [Lulz and then the conservatives wonder why capitalism has put us in a recession with job cuts everywhere.]

Your ignorance is quite apparent.