An additional four Nov. 9 protesters face charges, documents show

Recently obtained court documents show that four additional demonstrators face misdemeanor charges for their involvement in the Nov. 9 Occupy Cal protest, bringing the total number of Nov. 9 protesters known to be facing charges to eight.

UC Berkeley students Jasper Bernes, Shane Boyle and Amanda Armstrong, and BAMN organizer Yvette Felarca, are each looking at various counts of resisting arrest and obstructing a thoroughfare — which means blocking the movement of a person in a public area — according to Alameda County court documents.

Bernes also faces an additional charge for allegedly battering an officer.

The documents say police were met with heavy resistance when the protesters blocked police access to the tent encampment by linking arms and refusing to move.

Each of the four defendants was seen in the front lines of the protests through video recordings, according to the documents. The UC Berkeley students are set to be arraigned March 19 and 20 at 9 a.m. at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

Armstrong said the charges represent the campus administration “outsourcing” the task of disciplining student protest to the District Attorney.

“There’s something profoundly disturbing to me about the fact that the State and the UC Administration evidently think that the people who still should be held to account for November 9 are the people who were repeatedly struck with batons that day, rather than those who ordered or carried out these strikes,” Armstrong said in an email.

This group of four joins four other protesters — including associate English professor Celeste Langan — who were revealed last week to have been charged for their alleged involvement in the protest.

Members of the Berkeley Faculty Association have circulated a petition calling on UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau to ask the district attorney to drop the charges against the campus protesters. Demonstrators also staged a protest outside of California Hall Monday calling for the dissolution of the charges.

• Me

Arrested in November but arraigned in March.

That means these four have already spent four months in jail with no opportunity to make bail.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_WRACM77JT2RXUR3LMGDPPUGUYY Tony M

Most likely they were released after posting bail, which is the typical way the criminal justice system works in California.

• Guess

What happens if they are charge with misdemeanor? Does it go on your record?

• oops

did this dumbass newspaper get the numbers wrong?! another score for their illiterate reporting

• guest

SHAME on UCPD, SHAME on this administration!! YOU ALL ARE HEROES and history will remember you as the beautiful, fearless heroes you are.

• Carlos

Felarca is NOT a hero.

• guest

from guest above: agreed.

• you

they ain’t my heroes (yes, I used “ain’t,” get over it)

Lay down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard, slowly – and keep your hands up!

• crusty

gotta keep reminding yourself to do that,eh?

You ever consider getting a real job, or are you permanently unemployable along with the rest of your filthy gutter-punk ilk?

• Guest

it’s about time that Yvette Felarca is prosecuted

• University Of Fail

http://zungu.tumblr.com/post/19234592506/calling-the-chancellor-to-account
    In the immediate aftermath of the November 9th protests, the UCPD solicited — and received — the medical records of protesters who sustained injuries at the hands of the police. These records were released by the UC Berkeley Tang Center and local hospitals without the knowledge or consent of the patients; they were then used to identify protesters. The fact that medical records can be turned over to the UCPD in order to incriminate victims of police violence raises serious questions about the ethics of medical care on the UC-Berkeley campus.  

As the many videos taken on November 9th show, students and faculty were beaten simply because they were there.  When evidence of physical harm at the hands of the police is immediately read as culpability, our university has effectively criminalized protest.  By funneling confidential records to the UCPD and outside bodies, our medical system corroborated this view. What university policies allowed such breaches of confidentiality to happen?