Cal hosts Boston University for second home game of season

After dominating its last two opponents this past week, the Cal lacrosse team hopes to extend its two-game winning streak to three.

In a road trip to San Diego last weekend, Cal swept Detroit Mercy and San Diego State, both by whopping 18-9 margins.

“Our San Diego trip went really well — it became a little confidence boost for us,” said senior midfielder Emily Abbood.

The way it stands now, the Bears are two games into a fledgling streak. At 5 p.m. this Wednesday, Cal (3-2, 2-1 in the MPSF) will look to extend that when the team plays nonconference opponent Boston University (1-4) for its second home game of the season at Witter Field.

Although Cal garnered its past two victories in San Diego, it did not have a perfect 60-minute execution. The Bears were inconsistent with their draw controls, leading to a sloppy initial performance in their game against Detroit Mercy last Thursday. Nevertheless, after a timeout called by Detroit 10 minutes into the match, they came back with a commanding lead and eventually garnered the win. After making improvements to its first-half play, Cal conquered conference opponent San Diego State right from its first goal 30 seconds into the game.

Despite their successful overall performance, the Bears’ second half revealed a few shortcomings. Cal suffered from minor mental mistakes, especially in the first 10 minutes of the San Diego State game. Poor decisions in passing led to unforced turnovers that the Aztecs exploited for a few quick goals.

Fortunately for the Bears, they sport a strong midfield presence to make up for those small mental lapses. On Wednesday, Cal will try to counteract junior attacker Danielle Etrasco, who leads the Terriers with 17 goals, 21 points and 10 draw controls. However, the Bears have a sharp midfield attack in senior Emily Abbood and junior Megan Takacs; the latter leads Cal with 21 points. Abbood paces the Bears with 19 draw controls and nine ground balls, while Takacs is ranked third in the nation with an average of 4.20 goals per game.

“Our attacking unit is coming together nicely, we’re moving more in the midfield, and we’re really dominating on draw controls and ground balls.” Abbood said. “If we can just keep that same intensity we had and play some tough attack and defense, I think we can only go up from here.”