Sample Sundays: Ghostdini is…Cool Breeze

Screen shot 2012-03-16 at 11.35.31 AM
MGM Records (left)/ Epic Records (right)/Courtesy

“Hey yo, this (post) is like ziti!” What does that mean? I’m not really sure. It sounds cool though, and it’s a quote from the hip-hop track on this edition of Sample Sundays (minus the ‘post’ of course).

So, without delay (or anymore slang that only a select number of rhymers from Shaolin understand) here is the sample for this week, which is guaranteed to split ya wig like some hollows from a biscuit (I wish I could interpret, but it’s something you just have to figure out on your own):

Solomon Burke – Cool Breeze

This jam comes from “The King of Rock ‘n’ Soul,” Mr. Solomon Burke. There is no questioning Burke’s musical legacy, and for any of y’all who want to learn more about the man here is a link.

“Cool Breeze” is a track from the Blaxploitation film of the same name that Burke composed the soundtrack for. As Blaxploitation films have been a consummate influence on rappers and the hip-hop community, here is the trailer for this “cold” film:

Cool Breeze (1972)

(This trailer is awesome. If you don’t want to scour the Internet for an illegal copy of this — I already have — then I don’t know what’s wrong with you).

And, as per usual, here is the hip-hop gem that has sampled this track:

Ghostface Killah – Apollo Kids

(I’m getting a robe to go with my Wallabees. I wonder if Ghost will dye them for me?)

That’s right people, it’s Ironman aka Tony Starks aka Ghostdini aka The Wallabee Champ. One of the most prolific rappers hip-hop has ever seen, Ghostface Killah burst onto the scene with the greatest hip-hop group of all time (Don’t even try to test the WU!): the Wu-Tang Clan. Ghostface rhymes like no one else, with more slang in his rapid stream-of-consciousness raps than anyone else. His ability to craft intricate street narratives that cover the darkness and griminess therein is only paralleled by the other members of the Shaolin collective. (His ability to remember any of his rhymes is an astounding feat on its own. I’ve been trying to memorize “Apollo Kids” for a couple years now). “Apollo Kids” is off of Ghost’s Gold album Supreme Clientele, released in 2000, and is a must for all real hip-hop fans, as is his classic first album Ironman (get all of his stuff if your pockets are feeling like a contestant on “The Biggest Loser”).

Bonus Sample:

This week’s bonus sample is from another member of the Wu-Tang Clan, a member who you’ll probably see on this series in the future (shit, I could make every Sunday for the next 20 years about the Wu-Tang Clan … maybe I will): Raekwon.

Delores Hall – Where Do We Go From Here?

Raekwon ft. Ghostface Killah & Cappadonna – Ice Water

(Every track on this album was produced by the supreme architect, Mr. Zig Zag Zig himself  — the RZA. And all of them are as refreshing as — you guessed it — Ice Water).

And for any of you interested in the crazy Wu slang I dropped in this post, or any used on the tracks above, here is a link (impress all the “Butter Pecan Ricans” around the way with your knowledge God).