Midshipmen cruise past Cal in Annapolis

The Bears were crushed on the road by Navy on Wednesday.
Brenna Alexander/File

Last year, the Bears conquered Navy, one of the best offensive teams in the nation, with an impressive 13-6 victory at Witter Field.

This year, the tables turned, as the Midshipmen torched the Cal lacrosse team on Wednesday evening at the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. The Bears (4-5, 2-2 in the MPSF) came out of their nonconference match against Navy (11-2) in Annapolis, Md., with a blowout 15-5 loss.

Cal hoped to maintain its renewed focus on ball control from its last matchup against Hofstra on Sunday. However, while the Bears may have claimed a 15-14 edge in ground balls, the Mids held their own, outshooting Cal 24-16 and limiting the Bears’ 14.12 goals per game to just five.

The game was scoreless for more than 10 minutes until Navy attacker Aimee Gennaro tallied the first point of the game off an assist from attacker Jasmine DePompeo. The second goal of the game came more than five minutes later, when junior attacker Melissa Humphrey converted an eight-meter shot to even the game at 1-1.

Although the two teams were evenly matched for the first 15 minutes of the game, the Mids started to catch fire, going on a 4-0 run to claim a 5-1 advantage. Junior attacker Megan Takacs responded with two goals for the Bears; however, Navy midfielder Kathy Young netted an eight-meter goal just seconds before the end of the period to send the Bears into halftime trailing by three.

Navy ensured that the second half would not start off as slowly as the first by notching three goals in the first 40 seconds of the period. Cal simply could not get a shot in, as the Mids continued their streak with four more points, giving them a commanding 13-3 lead.

With just a few minutes left in the game, junior attacker Alexa Rozelle and senior midfielder Vail Horn finally nabbed two goals. But Navy notched its own two points, including a goal just five seconds from the end of the game, to give the Mids their 10-point final margin.

The Bears put an emphasis on controlling the ball on their attacking end; however, Navy played a tough defensive game, throwing off Cal’s offense and holding Takacs, the nation’s leading scorer, to just two goals.

Cal continue its East Coast road trip with a nonconference match against Villanova this Friday at 4 p.m. in Villanova, Pa.