Man fatally shot in Berkeley, suspect arrested

A man was shot in front of Bobs Liquor, on the corner of Sacramento and Oregon.
Jan Flatley-Feldman/Staff

A man was shot and killed Thursday evening in Berkeley, marking the city’s third homicide of 2012.

In what police say was a targeted shooting, multiple shots were fired at two men in South Berkeley, killing Devin Whitmire, 24, and leaving the other unhurt. Police are holding 18-year-old Randall Oscar Alston, who was arrested about 30 minutes after the killing, on suspicion of murder.

According to Berkeley police Lt. Kevin Schofield, a little before 7:30 p.m. Thursday, two men walked out of a store at the corner of Oregon and Sacramento streets when they were confronted by a group of people, at least one of whom had a firearm.

One of the people in the group allegedly began firing at the two men who had just left the corner store. The two began to run away when the shooting began, and although one avoided being hit, the other was shot multiple times, according to Schofield.

Around 7:30 p.m., the Berkeley Police Department received multiple reports of gunshots around the 2800 block of Sacramento Street, according to Schofield.

Officers who responded found Whitmire in the middle of the roadway. He was transferred to Highland General Hospital in Oakland where he was pronounced dead.

Schofield could not say whether the incident was gang-related.

As of 1:30 a.m. Friday, officers were still on scene investigating, according to Schofield.

Thursday’s shooting is the city’s second fatal shooting of 2012. The other was in January and also was in South Berkeley, in which a man was hit numerous times. There were also two other shootings earlier this month that were also days apart and both in West Berkeley.

There was one homicide in Berkeley in 2011.

View Shooting 3.29.12 in a larger map

Soumya Karlamangla is the city news editor.

• blah

I cannot believe they could just arrest Randal for they know for  sure he had nothing to do with it. that’s some mess up things for his family.  

• I_h8_disqus

I never think about going west of MLK.

• 001529

Your comment reminds me of talking to bay area people who think that every square acre of Oakland is crawling with drug dealers and gangsters.  Tom Wolfe, in his novel “A Man in Full”, had his character running down college ave in Rockridge seeking cover from the gunfire.

Richard

• I_h8_disqus

Though residents know there are good and bad areas of Oakland.  Same with Berkeley.  I don’t go to the questionable areas of Berkeley.

• berkopinionator

The police should be stopping gang bangers, frisking them, and taking their guns away. 

• 001529

How do the Police decide who the gang bangers are?  I share your frustration.  My daughter went to Longfellow and there was a lot of gunfire on Russel and Oregon. But I don’t think that you comment is helpful.

Richard

• I_h8_disqus

Unfortunately, the gang bangers look like most of the other young men in the area, and Berkeley of all places is not going to have their police do anything that seems like an invasion of privacy, which frisking people on the street for no reason would be.