UC Berkeley releases freshman admissions decisions

After a four-month long wait, more than 61,000 anxious students received freshman admissions decisions from UC Berkeley Thursday.

UC Berkeley received a record number of applicants this year, but admitted about 12,000 students to the class of 2016 — about the same as in previous years, according to a video posted by the campus Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The UC will release exact statistics on this year’s admissions in mid-April, according to Anne De Luca, associate vice chancellor for admissions and enrollment and acting director of undergraduate admissions.

“I want to thank all 61,000 freshman students who applied this year,” De Luca said in the video. “You are amazing, you shared (with) us wonderful stories and accomplishments. We really appreciate your interest in Cal.”

This year marks the first year the applicants were not required to submit scores of at least two SAT II Subject Tests in order to be considered for admission to the UC. The campus would not comment on whether this affected the applicant pool. De Luca said in an email that the campus would wait on commenting on the admissions process and releasing statistics until similar data is made available by the UC Office of the President.

High school senior Harsh Mujoo was accepted to UC Berkeley for the fall of 2012, and said that while he is still waiting on decisions from other private universities including Stanford University, he will most likely enroll at UC Berkeley.

“I’m considering UCSD and UCLA, but I will most likely come to UC Berkeley,” he said.

Analysis of past admissions data show the campus admitting a greater percentage of nonresident students each year. In 2010, for example, in-state students made up about 73 percent of the total admitted freshman class, while out-of-state and international students consisted of about 18.5 percent and 8.3 percent, respectively.

In 2011, the percentage of out-of-state students increased by about 3 percent, to 21.6 percent, and the percentage of international students increased to 9.6 percent of total admits. The percentage of resident students decreased to 68.8 percent in 2011, according to data released by the UC Office of the President.

Over the past couple years, the cash-strapped campus has been working to bring the overall campus nonresident population to about 20 percent of total students to offset budget cuts from the state.

And admitting more nonresident students seems to be helping the campus meet this goal, as about 18.4 percent of the students submitting Statements of Intent to Register for fall 2011 were out-of-state students, compared with just 4 percent two years earlier. The number of international students also rose, from 6.8 percent in fall 2009 to 11.4 percent in 2011.

Campus officials declined to comment on this year’s admissions cycle until data has been released by the UC Office of the President. However, campus officials told the Daily Cal in fall 2010 that increasing enrollment to 20 percent nonresident students could generate $60 million in additional revenue each year.

“I think in the long run, our target is 20 percent out of state and international students,” UC Berkeley Chancellor Robert Birgeneau said at a press conference in August. “And I think once we get there, we’ll have to find some kind of equilibrium and it’s been quite challenging. And I think at that stage I — or whoever is on the leadership team at that point — will talk again about it.”

Amruta Trivedi is the lead academics and administration reporter.

• http://profile.yahoo.com/2RDVI2KN2FTK2FMNPD4YGYHGVQ George

Read an article recently about how the UC was expecting the number of minority admits to plummet as a result of broader admissions policies like not requiring certain tests. Why would these policies result in a drop in blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc., or is this not expected anymore? Hopefully the article was wrong.

• Guest

Overall, minority admits would not plummet since Asians are part of that group. However, Asians would probably have a lower rate of acceptance since other minority students, who previously may not have qualified for admission because of the required tests, would now be qualified to be admitted.  Recent New York Times article talks about the back door affirmative action tools public schools use. The new not requiring certain tests rule might be one of them.

• 1776

Will BAMN protest when they find out that they didnt double the amount of “under represented” minorities. I hope so for a good laugh

• libsrclowns

Where is Sharpton? Jackson? Obama?

• 1776

Too busy in Florida

• GoldenBear

It is easy to point out the flaws in arguments deriving from incompetent numbskulls.  Other than doing just that, what is your point?  Do you have personal issues with “under represented minorities” or simply against numbskulls?  If your gripe is against the latter than try pointing out their  demagoguery in place of focusing on their preferred choice of ponds–or if you prefer human herds as some might call them.

• http://twitter.com/jdwynnyckyj Julian D Wynnyckyj

The degree will get you your first job after that you’re on your own!

Cal ’93

• Guest

Go Bears!

• Guest

go somewhere else.  this place sucks.

• Guest

someone didn’t get accepted.

• I_h8_disqus

For those discovering that they are not the smartest in the crowd like they were in high school or for those who have a hard time making friends, Berkeley can suck.  The rest of us are having a blast.

• Guest

It gets worse when you join the real world.