Longhorns spear Bears, 13-3

The Cal baseball team suffered a 13-3 loss to Texas Friday evening in the first of three contests between the two teams. Samantha Rosenbaum/Staff
Samantha Rosenbaum/Staff

Cal received a rude welcome in Texas Friday evening, falling to the Longhorns 13-3 at Dell Diamond.

The Longhorns jumped all over the Bears (14-10) from the start, scoring in each of the first six innings. Texas led 10-0 by the fourth inning.

Cal’s pitchers struggled to contain the Longhorns lineup. Texas scored in every frame except two and pounded out 15 hits on the day, including five extra base hits.

Starter Justin Jones lasted just 2.2 innings, giving up eight hits and eight runs. He fell to 2-4 on the season.

The Bears defense committed two more errors, bringing its season total to 47. The errors, which both came in the first inning, led to two unearned runs.

Cal scored two runs in the fifth and another in the sixth, but that was all the Bears could muster on the evening. Designated hitter Vince Bruno, catcher Chadd Krist and first baseman Andre Knapp each scored individual runs. No Cal hitter managed more than a single hit on the day.

The Bears will look to avenge the loss Saturday at 4 p.m.