Editor’s Note: Daily Cal to print on bigger, better paper for lower cost

Rarely do businesses encounter a change that would both increase quality and decrease costs. Yet on April 16, we are scheduled to begin printing a larger paper with more color under an arrangement that is expected to save about $10,000 annually.

The benefits are many, including front-page color every day and a broadsheet format that is the same size as papers like The New York Times. The change will also allow for more printing configurations and flexibility that will further save costs, benefit advertisers and boost revenue.

To coincide with this, we are redesigning the layout of our paper to include new features that we hope will be more visually appealing and engaging for readers.

The arrangement will modestly decrease our approximately $200,000 annual deficit. However, it does not at all alter our need for funds from the V.O.I.C.E. Initiative. The reality is that if the initiative does not pass the ASUC election, we will be forced to consider cutting additional days of print in order to balance our budget.

As we work to establish a sustainable business model, we are constantly seeking ways to cut costs without compromising the award-winning paper readers have enjoyed for 141 years. We are excited about this change and hope you will share with us your thoughts and input. Feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]

Tomer Ovadia is the editor in chief and president. Contact him at [email protected]