State of the Art: ’90s Facebook, One Dollar Bills and Chalking

tumblr_m0u74qZ74Y1qak35yo1_r1_1280
Skye Nicolas/Courtesy

Abroad/Worldwide: Facebook in the 90’s

I can barely remember the days when Gameboy Color and AOL Instant Messenger were all the rage. The ‘90s only comprised six years of my life, so it’s hard to imagine a time when computer graphics weren’t as visually stunning as the current versions of Twitter, Google, Facebook, Draw Something and Angry Birds. We really do take for granted the aesthetic beauty and user-friendly interfaces of these applications and websites. Using technology tools of decades past, Wired web editor Jo Luijten made throwbacks of these modern marvels. So what would Facebook have been like if it were invented in the ‘90s?

US: “Buy Some Love” by Skye Nicolas

If an ordinary person picked up “Buy Some Love,” the newest artwork from New York artist Skye Nicolas, he or she would likely shove it in a wallet or offer it up as a tip to a cab driver. But by simply stamping a red heart containing the words “Buy Some Love” on ordinary one dollar bills, he has created works of art that have been sold to elite art collectors for up to $1,500 a pop. In pointing to an artist’s power to reassign the monetary value of an object, he is also critiquing how wealthy buyers in the contemporary art world will shell out ridiculously high sums of money for something that most wouldn’t even recognize as art.

Skye Nicolas/Courtesy

San Francisco: “The Rusted Souls” at 1:AM

The battle between man and machine is a tale often told in science fiction novels and movies. We are warned that the moment when machines become more powerful than their creators is not far off, and as our machines are getting smarter — think Siri — this prophecy is beginning to feel very real. A collection of nine artists have taken this theme and created a series of narrative paintings for the show, “The Rusted Souls” at 1:AM Gallery. The show opens Friday evening.

1:AM/Courtesy

East Bay: “Super Optic” at Chandra Cerrito Contemporary

At last week’s Art Murmur, one exhibit stood out among a very diverse and provocative grouping of new shows. This was “Super Optic” at Chandra Cerrito featuring the works of Brian Caraway and David Allan Peters, who both use color and geometry to play optical tricks on the eye. Of particular note were Peters’ sculptural paintings, which consist of acrylic paint applied in thick layers, one color on top of the other. He then carves out craters to reveal the layers beneath. Open until May 19th, the show is definitely worth checking out.

photo: Anna Carey/Staff

Campus Area: ASUC Election Chalking

Hopefully, everyone got a chance to check out this week’s most unlikely campus artists: ASUC candidates and their campaigners. Giant cartoons, fancy fonts and eye-catching designs have adorned chalky sidewalks since last week. Like any street art, these works are temporary and have sadly been washed away by Mother Nature.

Anna Carey/Staff

• Anna Carey fan

Well the 90’s comprised 10 years of my life and yet I would like to comprise more of Anna Carey ;)

• Julia N.

Love Skye Nicolas’ work! It speaks the truth like a mirror that unmasks all the hypocrisies of a dumbed-down society. If you haven’t seen him in person, he’s one to watch. Super popular with the ladies (obviously model types) looking like a stylish Asian Johnny Depp. HOT!!!!