The Art of Politics

photo (1)
Kanwalroop Singh/Staff

The circus has come to Sproul Plaza.  But this time it is more of a debacle than a spectacle.  Due to the ASUC elections, the plaza has been temporarily transformed into a place for wily candidates to pounce upon the unsuspecting pedestrian and assault them with flyers, all the while brandishing headshots of themselves. After emerging from this alive, those who are still willing to pay attention to ASUC candidates will notice that a different sort of election campaign is being waged on the sidelines.

Students for a Democratic University (SDU), who describe themselves as “dedicated community activists” are running in the ASUC elections without the usual propaganda.  They have collaborated with local artist Political Gridlock, to create artistic posters for their campaign. The posters depict a dominant closed fist in the center, the campanile in the background, along with a cluster of protest signs, megaphones, and flags.  The imposition of this dominant fist upon the campanile is representative of their goals, to impose student power on the ivory tower.

“The name and face of a candidate doesn’t prompt you to think about any of the things they are representing,” candidate Isaac Kreisman said, “This is an artistic representation of abstract ideas. We don’t want the campaign to be about pasting people’s headshots all over the place.”

The poster is not simply another piece of political paraphernalia.  It articulates a vision.  SDU is not telling you what they will do if they win these elections, they are showing you.  This is the art of politics.