Bears blown out by Cardinal in weekend meet

The 118th Big Meet ended in the same fashion as the past five: with a victorious Cardinal. The Cal track and field team fell in a blowout loss to rival Stanford this Saturday at Edwards Stadium.

The Bears came out strong, taking seven total events such as the pole vault, long jump and hammer. But after that, Stanford took over and won the meet 106-67 against the men and 122-41 against the women.

“Early on, we showed really great effort and it looked like we may be able to pull it off for a bit,” track and field coordinator Tony Sandoval said. “But in the end, Stanford just had a little more and they came out on top.”

Indeed, the Cardinal seemed to have a bit more in every aspect of the game en route to their big win. Chris Derrick, owner of the top 3000-meter time in Big Meet history since 2010, broke his own mark with a time of 7:54.31, beating his old time by nearly 10 seconds. for the only record set by either team.

Despite the dominance of the Cardinal, the Bears had a few bright sports of their own that the team can build upon. One of those few spots during the meet was the performance of senior Brian Carmichael.

Carmichael moved into a tie for ninth place all time in Cal history for the high jump, setting a personal record with a height of 7-2.25.

“Individually, this was really big for me because I set a PR and it’s something I can keep working on,” Carmichael said. “Overall, I though we showed up and put in a great effort, but unfortunately the score didn’t show that.”

This meet came just one week after the Stanford Invitational, in which the Bears visited the rival school in an unscored matchup, giving both teams a sense of what to prepare for. Cal had some early success in a few of its field events, while Stanford owned most of the running events.

The Bears had key winners in the women’s and men’s hammer in Linda Oseso and Scott Esparza, respectively. Meanwhile, Charnell Price and Alima Kamara both set personal records in the women’s 200 meters, finishing second and third.

Overall, Cal did not lack the required effort, but could not compete with the depth or durability of Stanford, which had almost all of its athletes competing, as opposed to the many injuries facing Cal. The Cardinal had an extremely balanced showing, dominating many aspects of the meet including the hurdles and long distance races.

“There was not really anything major that I thought we did wrong,” Sandoval said. “One turn here, and one turn there, and soon enough you’ve got something that’s blown open.”

Despite this loss, the Bears will have to keep their practice and conditioning going if they want to accomplish the goal of winning Pac-12′s, which will be coming up in the next month.

“We had already established that we wanted to win Pac-12’s,” Carmichael said. “That’s still our goal, and if we keep working, I think we can do it.”