Cal falls to No. 20 Boston College

Saturday’s Cal lacrosse match ended the same way it began: with Boston College scoring quickly and effortlessly.

In their first game without junior Megan Takacs, the nation’s leading scorer who was injured in Thursday’s win, the Bears (8-6, 4-2 in the MPSF) suffered one of their worst losses of the season, falling to the Eagles 16-6. At Newton Sports Complex in Newton, Mass., Boston College (8-7) ended Cal’s four-game win streak in a game in which the result was never in doubt.

The Eagles found the back of the net less than a minute into the game for their first goal. From then on, they notched goal after goal, with six different Eagles accounting for eight unanswered goals in the first half. Although McGinnis made nine saves in the first half, Boston College outshot the Bears by a whopping 25-7 margin. Cal midfielder Emily Abbood, assisted by junior attacker Melissa Humphrey, notched the Bears’ single goal of the period with five minutes left in the half, as the Eagles took an 8-1 advantage going into halftime.

“We weren’t able to answer back when we needed to,” said coach Ginger Miles. “The score got away from us, and we didn’t have the legs to catch up.”

After four minutes of scoreless play in the second half, freshman Mikaela Rix extended the Eagles’ lead to make it a 9-1 game. Humphrey answered back with Cal’s second goal of the game; however, Boston College retaliated with three more goals, giving its team a 10-point advantage.

The Bears fought back for the next six minutes, with midfielders Emily Abbood and Hayley Olson and attacker Alexa Rozelle each nabbing one goal. Cal outscored the Eagles 3-1 to cut the deficit to eight; however, Boston College came back with a vengeance, going on its own 3-1 run to finally clinch its 16-6 victory. The Eagles’ last goal, made with a minute left in the game, was a fitting end to a match in which the Bears were simply overmatched by a superior Boston College team.

“We actually got a lot of defensive stops today but didn’t come up with the ball,” Miles said. “We gave a good BC team too many looks at the cage.”

If Saturday’s match was any indication, the Bears may need Takacs if they want any shot at beating Stanford on Friday. Takacs is the Bears’ leading scorer with a 4.09 goals per game average.

Cal will finish the regular season against the Cardinal at Witter Field.