Sample Sundays: The Eminem Show

eminem-2011
Interscope Records/Courtesy

Sample Sundays (it’s author, really) has made, admittedly, another alarmingly atrocious mistake. An egregious infraction in it’s planning (there really isn’t one — and if I didn’t say anything, you wouldn’t have noticed … let’s be honest). I have failed to mention, if my elephant’s memory serves me correctly (as to the size for the size of my other extremities, use your imagination and don’t be afraid to dream big), one of the greatest MC’s of all-time, the great white hope, the man who can rap a mile (eight of them, perhaps?) a minute, the man who is whatever you say he is — EMINEM (how do you type a backwards ‘e’? If you know how, leave it in the comments, then at least someone will get something out of this article if they happen to Google “how do you type a backwards ‘e’”).

Do I really need to sell you on Eminem? It’s an honest question. If you really think I need to give you the number of records he’s sold (over 41 million in the U.S. and over 86 million worldwide … oops), if you really think that he hasn’t impacted everyone on this planet in some way, if you really think that he isn’t one of the most dexterous wordsmiths that will ever grab a mic, if you really think he didn’t change hip-hop for the better, if you really think that his music doesn’t have any artistic value, well … send me an e-mail, leave me a comment, call me on the phone (I’m sure you can find my number, anything’s possible on the interweb), text me (see the last parenthetical), find me on twitter (Damn you social networking!), write me a letter (if people still do that), hire a skywriter (that would be damn expensive, but it’s the little things, you know?), or anything else you can think of (I’m all out … for now) — I’ll kindly read or listen to whatever you have to say . (Let your imagination run wild. But really, I’ll probably just laugh at whatever it is you have to say and continue to mentally stoke myself. Don’t we all?)

Anyway, now that I’ve had my druthers, I’m going to end all the chatter and give you my Top 8 Eminem Samples of All-Time. It’s only fitting. And yes, the order matters:

8. 

“Dead Wrong ft. Eminem” — The Notorious B.I.G.

“I’m Glad You’re Mine” — Al Green

(Sample begins @ :01.)

7.

“My Name Is” — Eminem (The Slim Shady LP)

“I Got The” — Labi Siffre

(Sample begins @ 2:09.)

6. Sing

Eminem — “For The Moment”  (The Eminem Show)

Aerosmith — “Dream On”

(Sample begins @ :01 and @ 2:04.)

5.  

Eminem — ‘Til I Collapse” (The Eminem Show)

Queen – “We Will Rock You”

(Sample begins @ :06.)

4. 

Dr. Dre ft. Xzibit & Eminem – “What’s The Difference?”

Charles Aznavour – “Parce Que Tu Crois”

(Sample begins @ :01.)

3.  

Eminem — “The Way I Am” (The Marshall Mathers LP)

Eric B. & Rakim — “As The Rhyme Goes On”

(It’s not really a sample in the truest sense, but the influence is there @ 1:30.)

2.     

Eminem — “The Real Slim Shady” (The Marshall Mathers LP)

Tom Green – “The Bum Bum Song”

(There isn’t really all that much of sample here, but it I’m sure you can find see how Eminem used it to comment on popular culture.)

1.         

Eminem – “Stan” (The Marshall Mathers LP)

(I’ve pretty much kept my mouth shut up until here, so I’ll just say that this is easily one of the greatest songs—yes, songs—ever written. And the video is the same in its own right, as are a great number of Eminem’s videos)

Dido – “Stan”

(Sample throughout.)